Joe Dumars Expected to Resign

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Joe Dumars Expected to Resign

Long overdue.

LINK
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject:

resign or re-sign ?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject:

Former Bad Boys make the worst GM's.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject:

Lol, I guess Joe stole enough money and will now retire.

!...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject:

There goes our chances of getting Monroe for Nash!
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject:

That botched Darko pick still haunting him to this day, even more than blowing cap on Ben Gordon,Charlie Villenueva and Josh Smith.
mporter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject:

Ya'll are tough to please. 2 Championships, something like 5 or 6 straight ECF appearances (without a real superstar)...his body of work stacks up against some of the best in the business. I know this is a "what have you done for me lately" league, but that Detroit roster should be better than it is. I'd definitely say he has made some questionable coaching hires that probably sealed his fate (in addition to missing out on Melo).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

mporter wrote:
Ya'll are tough to please. 2 Championships, something like 5 or 6 straight ECF appearances (without a real superstar)...his body of work stacks up against some of the best in the business. I know this is a "what have you done for me lately" league, but that Detroit roster should be better than it is. I'd definitely say he has made some questionable coaching hires that probably sealed his fate (in addition to missing out on Melo).

When was the last time Detroit was in the playoffs?
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject:

Monroe...Drummond is the piece to get.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject:

We need to get Monroe
mporter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
mporter wrote:

I don't dispute that his shelf life in Detroit had expired, my point was that he's not a horrible GM...he had plenty of success, much more than most. But I agree, it was time. Maybe a month or so ago, I heard rumors that Isaiah Thomas may be his replacement.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject:

mporter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mporter wrote:

I don't dispute that his shelf life in Detroit had expired, my point was that he's not a horrible GM...he had plenty of success, much more than most. But I agree, it was time. Maybe a month or so ago, I heard rumors that Isaiah Thomas may be his replacement.

Is that so?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject:

mporter wrote:

When you've been making bad decisions on a consistent basis for 10 years, you are a horrible GM. He made some good decisions before then, but 10 years of failure suggests that the prior success was a fluke. Seriously, has the guy made a good move since the Rasheed Wallace deal? There must have been something, but nothing jumps to mind. Dumars' tenure will be remembered for Darko Milicic, Charlie Villanueva, Ben Gordon, and Josh Smith.

Oh, and as for the Isiah Thomas rumors (I assume you mean Isiah, not the guard for the Kings), never forget that Isiah is prone to spreading rumors about himself. Remember when he spread rumors that he would become the next head coach of the Lakers (after Rudy T., I think), then called a press conference to deny it? That's Isiah. I doubt that he'll ever land an important job in the NBA again.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject:

mporter wrote:

One championship as a GM, and even that one might not exist if Malone hadn't gotten hurt and went from making a prime KG's life a living hell to no longer being able to move against Rasheed Wallace as we were forced to start Slava Medvedenko instead.

He's had nothing but horrific decisions since. He has a pretty terrible draft record, his trades since the Wallace one have been so so, and he's wasted his cap space numerous times on marginal players for long years. I'm shocked he wasn't fired years ago.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Former Bad Boys make the worst GM's.

He got them one championship, but I think he overstayed his welcome. You either get fired or tire of the job. There are a couple of GM's around the league who have stayed on longer as a GM but they have won multiple championships for their team. RC Buford, Pat Riley, Mitch Kupchak to name a few. Dumars was basically living off the 2004 championship for the past 10 years.
mporter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject:

My bad, thought he won 2 as GM.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Oh how different his career would have been had he drafted Wade in 2004 instead of Milicic. Or Bosh or Melo for that matter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Oh how different his career would have been had he drafted Wade in 2004 instead of Milicic. Or Bosh or Melo for that matter.

Good call, with Wade that team would have won or competed for all the rings the Heat were talking about having some day. Darko, combined with paying the wrong people really did him in. As much as he did to start his run, he set the team back enough to not be around when the bigs start taking their game to the next level.
DaGift
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject:

It's sad that Dumars has made so many terrible choices over the past few years. I've always liked Joe as a person and a player. Hate to see it end this way, but it was long overdue.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Good call, with Wade that team would have won or competed for all the rings the Heat were talking about having some day. Darko, combined with paying the wrong people really did him in. As much as he did to start his run, he set the team back enough to not be around when the bigs start taking their game to the next level.

Yeah he threw away a chance at having that one piece that he has never been able to get again. A franchise player. He has tried to recreate the magic he had with the Wallace's, rip, billups, but that was a unique team ... Much easier to build when you have that one franchise caliber player who is the superstar for your team.

Although certainly Darko was many peoples number two, talk about a move that could have saved a career or changed a franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Black Salt
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject:

Dumars not getting Carmelo cost the Pistons at least two more titles, possibly a three-peat. Carmelo would have more than likely been the first player since Magic to go from an NCAA title to a NBA title in back to back years.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject:

The "Darko" curse!!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: