Report: Lakers leaning toward firing Mike D'Antoni
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Reflexx: even at that time, they were only a 500 ballclub. And if you remember when Kobe came back, they started to go on a losing streak because he started to play iso and slow the tempo down. its just not going to work with MDA.

Losing streak? Didn't they lose 2 games, and then win?

And let's also remember that Kobe hadn't played in half a year. And as we all know, Kobe has always played horribly in preseasons. He takes a month or two to get back into rhythm.

It would take a little more than 'getting into rhythm' for Kobe to be able play in MDA's run and fun

Not really.

Don't think so? Kobe needs at least 4-7 seconds to survey the D and make his moves. So much for 7 seconds or less. Anyway I hope we don't get to see Kobe and MDA part 3.

D'antoni's offense isn't "7 seconds or less."
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject:

PauXXL wrote:
Let's get this straight once and for all. THE LAKERS DO NOT PRACTICE D, THEY WATCH FILM, THAT'S IT! I have a good friend of mine who recently had to interview Nick Young for an incident outside of basketball (you guys probably know what I mean). Young straight out told my friend they don't practice D. They watch film and talk during film session. So this BS that they actually practice D is nonsense. Stop putting out info that is incorrect.

They don't practice offense either. Just set a pick and shoot, wonderful coaching heck for half a mil I will coach the Lakers if they want me to run MDA's system.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
PauXXL wrote:
Let's get this straight once and for all. THE LAKERS DO NOT PRACTICE D, THEY WATCH FILM, THAT'S IT! I have a good friend of mine who recently had to interview Nick Young for an incident outside of basketball (you guys probably know what I mean). Young straight out told my friend they don't practice D. They watch film and talk during film session. So this BS that they actually practice D is nonsense. Stop putting out info that is incorrect.

They don't practice offense either. Just set a pick and shoot, wonderful coaching heck for half a mil I will coach the Lakers if they want me to run MDA's system.

Right! And when the Lakers play well its because they made shots and if they don't its because they missed shots and didn't have energy. Wow so simple. Half a mill? I can do that as s side gig for 10 bucks an hour via Skype.

Mda does have some great plays out of timeouts though. I'll give hook that.

There is just no sanctuary for a coach that loses by 50 to the clippers. None. I don't care if you have to foul every single play. You can't be giving up 150 a game.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject:

While I think it's pretty obvious MDA has had a pretty tough hand to deal with, from the perception of being chosen over PJ, to an aging roster, to a rash of injuries over two year the likes of I can't remember, but for me it's also pretty obvious he doesn't seem to be the right fit for the lakers, from how he has handled star players, how he has handled things in the media when discussing players on the team and so on. Obviously MDA has to be a decent coach, I don't think you land a gig in the NBA let alone multiple gigs if you aren't a decent coach, but the coach, the personnel, the FO, the fans etc really all needs to clique and it just doesn't seem to be the case here
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject:

^ I Think a large part in that has to do with his sense of humor and particularly how the media at times doesn't post the full context of the quote. There was a quote he said (I can't remember which one) that completely made him sound terrible when in reality, when reading from a difference source who posted the entire context, it was absolutely spot on and harmless.

The thing with twitter is you can only fit so much into 140 characters. Oftentimes, the media takes advantage of this for clicks.

It's gotten so bad I've "unfollowed" several media.. I only follow a select few regarding Lakers.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject:

That's a pretty fair assessment av. Ive always felt MDA was doomed from the moment some members of the team made it pretty clear they wanted PJ and had no interest in making things work with MDA, coupled with no Nash (or even Blake) to get off and running with. To big a hill to climb with the fans hating you from day one, and then all the injuries. Not sure if anyone handles that burden well, but mike definitely seems unsuited to that kind of criticism and did not handle it well, which only mushroomed it.
salami
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
That's a pretty fair assessment av. Ive always felt MDA was doomed from the moment some members of the team made it pretty clear they wanted PJ and had no interest in making things work with MDA, coupled with no Nash (or even Blake) to get off and running with. To big a hill to climb with the fans hating you from day one, and then all the injuries. Not sure if anyone handles that burden well, but mike definitely seems unsuited to that kind of criticism and did not handle it well, which only mushroomed it.

adversity has a way of exposing people for who they really are
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject:

salami wrote:
24 wrote:

Fair enough. I wonder how that applies to Laker fans...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
salami wrote:
24 wrote:

Can I get paid $4m/year to do so?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
salami wrote:
24 wrote:

Sure, but not sure what that has to do with the concept above.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
salami wrote:
24 wrote:

Tongue in cheek. Getting paid $4m to deal with the adversity of this Lakers season...not the worst worst option.
salami
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
salami wrote:
24 wrote:

Many Laker fans discovered they have a low tolerance for mismanagement and are selective of who has earned unconditional love and support. An organization is a representation of the people that run it and circumstances are always changing.

Personally, something I discovered about myself is my perspective is very similar to Magic Johnson's and I am proud because he has been a hero of mine for nearly as long as I can remember.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject:

salami wrote:
24 wrote:
salami wrote:
24 wrote:

Many Laker fans discovered they have a low tolerance for mismanagement and are selective of who has earned unconditional love and support. An organization is a representation of the people that run it and circumstances are always changing.

Personally, something I discovered about myself is my perspective is very similar to Magic Johnson's and I am proud because he has been a hero of mine for nearly as long as I can remember.

In other words, good for goose, not so much for gander...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
salami wrote:
24 wrote:

Tongue in cheek. Getting paid $4m to deal with the adversity of this Lakers season...not the worst worst option.

Also tongue in cheek. Deliberately obtuse.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Agree, to expect good defense when everyone has given up on you is expecting a miracle. And when you are playing some guys who lack the physical ability to defend big minutes, your defense will be poor. It is just the common notion here that the Lakers do not practice defense that is incorrect, at least according to those who observe their practices. If you want to say the scheme is poor, that is one thing, but the coaching staff does put in the effort.

So MDA is trying to teach D? That's comforting. If only the players would listen to him. Let's just keep shipping new groups of players in and out until we finally get a group of players that will do what he says.

Right, its not his fault that he can't get his guys to play D. It must not be in his job description.

The players are the ones who need to look in the mirror. And getting rid of most of them is a good idea.

its kind of funny how Thb's players listen to him while MDA's players show him their middle finger

hmm whose fault is that?

The players.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Reflexx: even at that time, they were only a 500 ballclub. And if you remember when Kobe came back, they started to go on a losing streak because he started to play iso and slow the tempo down. its just not going to work with MDA.

And let's also remember that Kobe hadn't played in half a year. And as we all know, Kobe has always played horribly in preseasons. He takes a month or two to get back into rhythm.

It would take a little more than 'getting into rhythm' for Kobe to be able play in MDA's run and fun

Not really.

Don't think so? Kobe needs at least 4-7 seconds to survey the D and make his moves. So much for 7 seconds or less. Anyway I hope we don't get to see Kobe and MDA part 3.

The Lakers have never played 7 seconds or less.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject:

salami wrote:
24 wrote:

And it exposed those players as malcontents who weren't living up to their contracts.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

Not really.

The Lakers have never played 7 seconds or less. A statement like that makes one wonder if a poster even watches Laker games, because that has never gone on.

his overall point is not wrong though. kobe does not want to play in a system where the number one goal is ball movement. he'd have problems playing under popovich as well.

the stuff about quick shots i think is overrated. kobe has shown throughout his career he has no problem with those.

Last edited by greenfrog on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
salami wrote:
24 wrote:

And it exposed those players as malcontents who weren't living up to their contracts.

I'm guessing you mean Pau? Since almost everyone else on our roster is getting paid a million.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject:

I would throw Kaman in as well, he has always been a malcontent.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject:

While I understand MDA has had an influence on how other coaches and teams approach the game, it's not like MDA is proven guy to seal the deal, even at the height of the Suns with two time MVP Steve Nash and a pretty well regarded overall roster, MDA NEVER reached the finals, so while I thin his influence on quick ball movement and the three ball has firmly been rooted in the NBA, it seems like MDA has never been able to put together his offensive punch with solid D, or a grind it out component which is often needed in the playoffs, in other words it doesn't seem he has ever put a balanced product on the floor, which I think to win the title, or to truly be competing for it year in and year out is kind of required
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

The lakers are 2nd in the league in PACE.

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats/_/sort/paceFactor

Take a look at our team stats. When you have a team like this, Pace is key.
If you are the worse team on the floor, create less possessions. That way the other (better) team has less opportunities to exert their superiority.

If MDA slowed our team's pace and did everything else the same I would like him twice as much.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
While I think it's pretty obvious MDA has had a pretty tough hand to deal with, from the perception of being chosen over PJ, to an aging roster, to a rash of injuries over two year the likes of I can't remember, but for me it's also pretty obvious he doesn't seem to be the right fit for the lakers, from how he has handled star players, how he has handled things in the media when discussing players on the team and so on. Obviously MDA has to be a decent coach, I don't think you land a gig in the NBA let alone multiple gigs if you aren't a decent coach, but the coach, the personnel, the FO, the fans etc really all needs to clique and it just doesn't seem to be the case here

It took him less than a week to throw Pau under the bus. And he made it a habit of blaming the players first, and basically never conceding that maybe, just maybe his system wasn't a good fit for this group of players.

No one is dealt a fair hand, no one gets all the perfect fitting pieces to make the whole puzzle without having to at least work a little to make those pieces fit.

D'Antoni pretty much made it clear from the getgo that he was unwilling to compromise in terms of making all the pieces fit. In his world, if the peices didn't fit, the pieces didn't play.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I would throw Kaman in as well, he has always been a malcontent.

If he is, he doesn't really have a reputation as one. He's been fine on plenty of other teams prior to this. We could have really used his help if we were serious about contending at all this season.

It's plainly clear that his style of play didn't fit D'Antoni's "vision"...and so Pringles alienated him.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The lakers are 2nd in the league in PACE.

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats/_/sort/paceFactor

Take a look at our team stats. When you have a team like this, Pace is key.
If you are the worse team on the floor, create less possessions. That way the other (better) team has less opportunities to exert their superiority.

If MDA slowed our team's pace and did everything else the same I would like him twice as much.

Worse teams tend to want to up the pace to create more of a ragged up and down game where they can minimize the talent advantage of the better team. You slow the pace if you play better at a slower pace, or if it creates difficulty for your opponent.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10
Jump to: