Report: Mitch gets a contract extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesource
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
GasolBynumKobe wrote:
He's not a great GM and he's not the worst.

Other than the Gasol trade which he admitted he wouldn't have done if Bynum didn't get hurt, he hasn't done anything. Hell, he can't even tank right by trading our only assets(Jordan Hill and Kaman) for 2nd round picks or TPE's.

OK

Ok what? Truth hurts I know.

He's in the bottom tier of the GM's. When you can't even build a team that tanks when you need to, that speaks volume.

You don't build a team to tank.

He traded for CP3, Nash, Howard, Ariza, Shannon Brown, etc.

Mitch Kupchak is a great GM. That is not even debatable.
LakerCity
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject:

thesource wrote:
GasolBynumKobe wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
GasolBynumKobe wrote:

Other than the Gasol trade which he admitted he wouldn't have done if Bynum didn't get hurt, he hasn't done anything. Hell, he can't even tank right by trading our only assets(Jordan Hill and Kaman) for 2nd round picks or TPE's.

OK

Ok what? Truth hurts I know.

He's in the bottom tier of the GM's. When you can't even build a team that tanks when you need to, that speaks volume.

You don't build a team to tank.

He traded for CP3, Nash, Howard, Ariza, Shannon Brown, etc.

Mitch Kupchak is a great GM. That is not even debatable.

traded for Pau, signed MWP, re-signed LO, signed Horace grant in 01
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
the Lakers need to regain the confidence of the fans.

This is a very good first move

No lakers need to build a good to a great team. Fans are bandwagoners they will jump back on the bandwagon when the FO has finished rebuilding, the fans confidence is the last thing they should worry about. I remember full well when Mitch used to be called kupcake. Fans will start singing a new tune when we start winning they are as fickle as they come.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject:

This is the best news, I have heard from the Lakers in years. It's about time for the fans to be happy about. Great move.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject:

So just like Kobe. Nice
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:52 am    Post subject:

Go Mitch !
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject:

I am glad the extension was signed (phew)

Another round of "DO IT MITCH" oh yeaaa
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Lakers agree to extend Mitch

Quote:
LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Lakers have agreed to a multiyear extension with general manager Mitch Kupchak.

Kupchak has presided over four NBA championships since succeeding Jerry West as the Lakers' general manager in 2000. He has been with the organization since retiring as a player in 1986.

Details of Kupchak's current contract have never been released, but he had one year remaining on his current deal.

With the Lakers in the midst of the worst season in franchise history, the extension for Kupchak solidifies his decision-making role and is a reflection of the esteem in which he is held by the Buss family.

The timing of the extension is also effectively a vote of confidence to reflect the Buss family's trust in him to shape the future of the organization, sources said.

LINK
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject:

This is good news, hopefully, now we can focus on the draft and FA... and see what Mitch and the Buss family have in store.
SmokeAndAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject:

Nice to have that locked up. Now, Mitch, go find us a new coach and a steal in the draft No pressure!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject:

We should wait to see how he recovers from his Achilles...nevermind, wrong thread.

Good to see this. Last thing we needed is questions about our GM.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject:

Excellent
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject:

Good. In Mitch I trust.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject:

Good move.
Mitch has shown to be one of the best GM's in the NBA.

Not clear what his vision is, but he clearly will aim for the top talent and the best possible trade. I want that kind of guy with elite negotiating skills on my team.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Other than the Gasol trade which he admitted he wouldn't have done if Bynum didn't get hurt, he hasn't done anything.

He made quite a few other really sharp trades, IMO.

2004 - Shaq trade. Initially thought to be awful, but we wound up getting a core piece in Odom for a future title team, a piece that eventually led to Kwame which then led to Pau Gasol (Butler). We also got the draft pick which led to Farmar who was our bench PG on a championship team.

2007 - Ariza/Cook-Evans trade. I thought this was one was fantastic.

2008 - Pau Gasol/Kwame-Marc Gasol. No need to talk about how great this was.

2009 - Shannon Brown/Morrison for Vlade Radmanovic. Got out of Vlade's horribly long deal and brought in a much needed athletic guard. Shannon played some outstanding D that WCF 2009 against Denver. We really benefited from what Shannon brought.

2012 - Dwight Howard. Now sure it looks awful that Dwight left. But I personally don't put that on Mitch, because my personal opinion based on what facts I have read/heard is that had other things went down, DH would have stayed. Basically Mitch brought the best C of this era and in his prime to the Lakers. Think about how hard that would be. Think about how hard it would be to trade for Anthony Davis in 2020. That's the sort of move Mitch pulled off.

Personally I think Mitch is one of the top 5 GM's in the NBA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
Other than the Gasol trade which he admitted he wouldn't have done if Bynum didn't get hurt, he hasn't done anything.

2004 - Shaq trade. Initially thought to be awful, but we wound up getting a core piece in Odom for a future title team, a piece that eventually led to Kwame which then led to Pau Gasol (Butler). We also got the draft pick which led to Farmar who was our bench PG on a championship team.

2009 - Shannon Brown/Morrison for Vlade Radmanovic. Got out of Vlade's horribly long deal and brought in a much needed athletic guard. Shannon played some outstanding D that WCF 2009 against Denver. We really benefited from what Shannon brought.

2012 - Dwight Howard. Now sure it looks awful that Dwight left. But I personally don't put that on Mitch, because my personal opinion based on what facts I have read/heard is that had other things went down, DH would have stayed. Basically Mitch brought the best C of this era and in his prime to the Lakers. Think about how hard that would be. Think about how hard it would be to trade for Anthony Davis in 2020. That's the sort of move Mitch pulled off.

Amen.

Glad we're keeping Tom Hagen in the Family. Now if we can just do something about Fredo...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

This offseason (and possibly the next 2) will test Mitch in the new CBA. We can't simply outspend other teams into luxury oblivion (esp. since we have Prokorohv defying the logics of the CBA's purported restraint on this kind of profligate spending) so he'll have to be astute in managing the cap, something he hasn't really had to do during the Kobe era. He has 40% tied up in Nash/Kobe already heading into next season as well, which is the equivalent of being Jamie Lannister in a sword fight (post chop session).

That being said, I do think Mitch will do well and he probably relishes to a certain extent, a chance to build a new team.
LakerCity
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

Amen.

Glad we're keeping Tom Hagen in the Family. Now if we can just do something about Fredo...

Jim Buss isn't fredo though
Cali_Fan
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:

We should have gotten CP3 too, but you know what happened. Stern stepped in.....
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject:

This is great news. I think Mitch is a great trade negotiator. I'd like to see the FO get a pitchman/salesman now to attract FAs. It can be someone like Magic or a new coach that can recruit like Coach Cal. I don't think Mitch can fill that role and Jim definitely can't.

Jim - Hopefully, he just signs the checks and does nothing else. I'd hope his title becomes more of a figurehead position as time goes on. The worst thing for the Lakers is him actually being involved in basketball operation.
Mitch - Negotiator
? - Pitchman
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject:

I think this shows that Mitch is spineless and is willing to sit in a position with limited power, directed by a man with very little basketball knowledge, and for what? Did the Lakers give him a raise? Are his roots too deeply planted? The fact that he's fine with his current situation tells me a lot about him. Jerry West threatened to resign if the Lakers traded Worthy, what did Mitch do when they hired MDA over Phil (bleep) Jackson? The man has no power, but I guess all is fine for him now that he's got his money. They made him tell the media it was the best fit for the roster. Either he was forced to say those things or he's an idiot.
LakerCity
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
I think this shows that Mitch is spineless and is willing to sit in a position with limited power, directed by a man with very little basketball knowledge, and for what? Did the Lakers give him a raise? Are his roots too deeply planted? The fact that he's fine with his current situation tells me a lot about him. Jerry West threatened to resign if the Lakers traded Worthy, what did Mitch do when they hired MDA over Phil (bleep) Jackson? The man has no power, but I guess all is fine for him now that he's got his money. They made him tell the media it was the best fit for the roster. Either he was forced to say those things or he's an idiot.

"I think Mitch Kupchak signing an extension shows he's spineless"

great logic bro
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject:

LakerCity wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

"I think Mitch Kupchak signing an extension shows he's spineless"

great logic bro
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

This offseason (and possibly the next 2) will test Mitch in the new CBA. We can't simply outspend other teams into luxury oblivion (esp. since we have Prokorohv defying the logics of the CBA's purported restraint on this kind of profligate spending) so he'll have to be astute in managing the cap, something he hasn't really had to do during the Kobe era. He has 40% tied up in Nash/Kobe already heading into next season as well, which is the equivalent of being Jamie Lannister in a sword fight (post chop session).

That being said, I do think Mitch will do well and he probably relishes to a certain extent, a chance to build a new team.
the truth is we dont know how good any GM is within the new cba. the hot teams now are teams that were built prior to the new cba. except for the nets where the guy decided to blow the bank to get all those guys.

okc pre cba(they sucked for a 100 years to get durant , westbrook, ibaka, harden(who was traded).

clippers (gifted cp3)-blake pre cba (clippers sucked for years).

portland sucked for a couple of seasons and got DL(they didnt have to make a move for him or batum. all picks).

gstate(curry, klay and barnes, pre cba all draft picks cause they were sorry for years).

i can do this all day long in the nba. the hot teams of today were not created post cba. the heat built right before the new cba.

so just want to make sure all GM's are on the same level with the new cba. we dont know who's good and who's not. its easy to walk into a place with a sorry team for years sitting on 4 picks and a bunch of stars on rookie deals.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:

You have to look at it this way. Read the nice long detailed post you had in the other thread. Mitch actually seemed to believe that MDA would be a great move. From their POV it was like this. MDA >Mike Brown. They didn't really look at it from Phil >>>>>>> MDA. Why? Phil was on the outs. I think as much as they say Phil was considered, I think they never really were going to hire him, knowing what the future of the franchise was going to be like (Jim running things in Phil's shadow). They did all they could to get away from him in 2011 (Firing all his staff, trashing Phil to Brian Shaw in a job interview) only to now hire him back to save the day and try and get Dwight to stay?

In the end, Mitch can be a great GM and also not want to hire Phil. He made a mistake with D'Antoni, as did Jim and his dad. They all messed up on that one. I genuinely think Mitch felt that Nash would turn back the clock and play briliantly under MDA and we'd score like PHX 2.0 ... they probably realize now that was a mistake. That's why you hear rumors about Calipari, and MDA losing his job at season's end. Still won't hire Phil. Just maybe make a better choice than MDA this time (I hope).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: