Mitch Kupchak USA Today Interview (among other things, says Lakers will not consult with Kobe about coach decision)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Mitch Kupchak USA Today Interview (among other things, says Lakers will not consult with Kobe about coach decision)

Finally, finally, finally. This interview was so good, it made me change my avatar. My confidence in the front office after the passing of Dr Buss is at an all time high.

http://archive.ksdk.com/usatoday/sports/7496069/Lakers-GM-wont-consult-Kobe-on-coach-decision?usatref=sportsmod

Quote:

Q: Will (Kobe) factor in on the decision about Mike (D'Antoni)?

A: We will not consult with him. No, we won't consult with him.

Just as we moved on from Phil, we are finally beginning to start the true post Kobe era. Or that's what it looks like, anyways. And I think there is plenty in the interview to back up my feelings. Stuff like this.

Quote:

Q: So how's Kobe going to handle (a possible rebuilding scenario that goes beyond next year)?

A: He'll be fine. He's got no choice.

That's it, I'm good. After all the drama, all the nonsense, all the "sources" and all the silly "reports," it seems like the adults are finally back in charge and they aren't going to make any more misguided one year plans to try to appease Kobe or anyone else.

Thank you, Mitch. I am beyond thrilled that the team just signed you back up and I feel much better about things moving forward now.

My issue isn't with Kobe, just as it wasn't with Phil. It's about the strength, conviction and steadiness of the front office. They have to stop chasing fantasies and saviors. And it seems like Mitch knows that, which means the Busses know it.

New avatar, new attitude. I'm calm now. This makes my season. I hate to lose, but I like it when I feel there is a front office that will take on drama head on and stop it in its tracks. No more "the world revolves around Kobe and Phil" stuff, and we finally can move on to the full rebuild, as I think we have to now.

As Ramona said in her article about the Lakers giving Mitch a new contract, we're in a serious transition phase now. Not for the squeamish.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10753551/los-angeles-lakers-renew-gm-mitch-kupchak-deal

Quote:
Kupchak has a wholesale rebuilding job in store with the Lakers

That's what it is. No more glossing over that or pretending otherwise. And no more chasing Zen Man or having your franchise revolve around a person going into his 19th season and coming off of two serious leg injuries.

I sense good things in the future for the Lakers. It may take time, as Mitch said in the interview, but if we have stewards like Mitch driving the ship, then I think we will get there. Even with the new CBA and even if it takes time, like it did after Magic retired.
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject:

This is exactly how it should be. Very well-handled, Mitch.
SmokeAndAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject:

Good thing I read the whole article for myself. Was very enlightening
TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject:

Faceman wrote:
This is exactly how it should be. Very well-handled, Mitch.

Mitch straight up laid down the law. You can't do it any better than that. With all the noise swirling around, he just said "this is how it is." Serious man crush right now from me to Mitch. That was awesome!

TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject:

SmokeAndAshes wrote:
Good thing I read the whole article for myself. Was very enlightening

I totally agree. All questions answered, no more "REPORT!" "SOURCES!" junk. We heard it from the man himself.

Mitch is a class dude. But you can tell he knows how to get the job done when the going gets tough. Dr Buss was smart to hire him and keep him all these years.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject:

Kobe fits in any and every offensive style, doesn't matter who the coach is. So we need a new coach that is not a retread that will develop our rookie well. Kobe will fit anyway.
lkjhf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject:

mitch laying down the law
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Kobe fits in any and every offensive style, doesn't matter who the coach is. So we need a new coach that is not a retread that will develop our rookie well. Kobe will fit anyway.

Well, Kobe is skilled enough to do so no doubt.

But at this point of his career, having a run and gun offense is the last thing he needs/desires.

He probably prefers a more half court oriented offense where he gets to kill from mid-range (one of the best at doing so).
TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

Of course! Kobe said he has his best year, maybe ever, in 2012-13. Guess who the coach was? It's not a coincidence guys play for MDA and then get big contracts.

I don't care if MDA is back or not. What I care is that the front office will not make panic moves or cater to some guy calling up every radio show in LA. You can't make decisions like that or you are doomed to fail.

Mitch said, basically, "we won't do it like that." That's what I needed to hear, after all this silliness going around by media buffoons trying to get hits. Mitch basically said that, too, just in a nicer way.

TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject:

lkjhf wrote:
mitch laying down the law

Boom shaka laka!

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject:

Tangentially related, I believe if Mitch had his druthers, Kobe's extension would have been negotiated this summer. I believe it was the Buss family that made the choice to extend Kobe in October 2013 and Mitch of course would heed his boss's decisions.

Mitch is the consumate professional and is loyal. I trust his decisions going forward this summer.
TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Tangentially related, I believe if Mitch had his druthers, Kobe's extension would have been negotiated this summer. I believe it was the Buss family that made the choice to extend Kobe in October 2013 and Mitch of course would heed his boss's decisions.

Mitch is the consumate professional and is loyal. I trust his decisions going forward this summer.

Agreed on all points. Mitch would know if Dr Buss wanted the extension or something similar, and he would carry out such orders in the loyal and competent fashion which he seemed to handle the contract extension discussion.
Nordvader
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject:

What would L.G. do without another thinly veiled bash Kobe thread, praise be to Mitch indeed.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject:

Nordvader wrote:
What would L.G. do without another thinly veiled bash Kobe thread, praise be to Mitch indeed.

No. My point is Mitch just showed what I believe is his true cards. That he values Kobe, but will put the franchise ahead of its great franchise player.

Mitch probably had input but no true say in Kobe's extension. Knowing how he operates, he probably waits until the summer to negotiate the extension. And hey, it might have been the same $ amount.

But the Buss family wanted to lock Kobe up. So that's understandable.
SmokeAndAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Nordvader wrote:

No. My point is Mitch just showed what I believe is his true cards. That he values Kobe, but will put the franchise ahead of its great franchise player.

Mitch probably had input but no true say in Kobe's extension. Knowing how he operates, he probably waits until the summer to negotiate the extension. And hey, it might have been the same $ amount.

I don't think your post was the one he was referring to!
Nordvader
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject:

SmokeAndAshes wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Nordvader wrote:

It wasn't.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject:

Nordvader wrote:
SmokeAndAshes wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Nordvader wrote:

It wasn't.

Ah, it's reflexive for me.
TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject:

Nordvader wrote:

Nothing to do with Kobe. This is about the Lakers at the present time and after Kobe. It's about the front office taking charge. To me, the Lakers have shown their gravitas in standing up to both Phil and now Kobe (in the eyes of the fans). Kobe is just the "extra" in this thread, or my first post. What it's about is the front office, and how they seem to be on track to steer the ship in what I feel is a wise direction.

As I've said all year, it doesn't matter to me who seems out of line or misguided in their comments or thoughts. Could be Kaman, could be Kobe, could be Pau, could be Phil, could be Jordan Hill, could be the fans who want a "make a move for making a move's sake" choice. The players move on, the organization and the brand stays. And if it is going to stay strong, then the front office must be strong.

In Mitch's interview, I see strength, decisiveness and clarity. That's why I'm thrilled.

Last edited by TheLakerWay on Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Romano338
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject:

Good.
Kobe is here for 2 years, and he already had his big contract. Now, do your work and only your work.

Sad to say but right now, Lakers need to see further.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject:

now does kobe respond by badly leaking something to steven a. again? "kobe leaning towards playing in italy..."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject:

I don't think the FO will go out of its way to find a coach that would alienate Kobe. I find it hard to believe that Kobe's input, even in a limited manner, wouldn't be sought. To be fair, he wasn't consulted on Mike Brown (fail) but was on MDA (fail, but Kobe apparently wasn't told about Phil).

No need for the FO or Mitch to unreasonably show they have more onions than Kobe or they will now show him that they're the boss.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject:

I understand, what Mitch is trying to say, but if you don't plan to consult Kobe on the MDA situation, then you shouldn't have given him the contract.... Kobe is the reason why people even tune in to watch the games, as a result of his injury this year.... the viewing percentage has plummeted...
thejet24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject:

Mitch talking like he just got a new contract.

Let's not forget who the Lakers pick as a head coach when no one is consulted.

Mike D'antoni
Mike Brown
Rudy T
thejet24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
I understand, what Mitch is trying to say, but if you don't plan to consult Kobe on the MDA situation, then you shouldn't have given him the contract.... Kobe is the reason why people even tune in to watch the games, as a result of his injury this year.... the viewing percentage has plummeted...

Jim Buss thinks everyone tunes in to watch his showtime Lakers get blown out by 30 every other game
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't think the FO will go out of its way to find a coach that would alienate Kobe. I find it hard to believe that Kobe's input, even in a limited manner, wouldn't be sought. To be fair, he wasn't consulted on Mike Brown (fail) but was on MDA (fail, but Kobe apparently wasn't told about Phil).

No need for the FO or Mitch to unreasonably show they have more onions than Kobe or they will now show him that they're the boss.

Yeah. I'm thinking what he means is that they're not going to solicit his opinion per se, but they will keep him in the loop on who they are talking to and why, as well as who they plan to select, and why.

To me, where things get sticky, is when you start asking for opinions. Because then people get upset when you don't share the same opinion and go in a different direction. That's when people say things like "well, why did you even ask me then?"
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9
Jump to: