Mitch Kupchak USA Today Interview (among other things, says Lakers will not consult with Kobe about coach decision)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject:

saacman5033 wrote:
To those who think Mitch somehow royally screwed things up in this interview, have you read the whole interview and taken things in context?

These two sound bites seem to be the ones that have folks' panties all in a twist:

"We will not consult with him. No, we won't consult with him"

- Question prompting this response was "Will he factor in on the decision about Mike?"

- My thoughts: What good does it do to consult (or admit to consulting) Kobe either way on this? If they do and MDA gets canned, Kobe is labelled a coach killer. If they do and MDA stays, well we're still losers next year.

- Note that nowhere was it said whether Kobe would have any input on the next coach or really anything else for that matter. Mitch shutting or claiming to shut Kobe out of this decision is good for all involved

"He'll be fine. He's got no choice. He'll be fine."

- Question prompting this response: "So how's Kobe going to handle that?" (with "that" being the possibility of not being championship contenders next year)

- My thoughts: How else to handle that question? It's not like Mitch or anyone else can guarantee a title contender next year, and it's not like he's going to respond with something like, "Oh, I think if Kobe sees this as a non-contender he'll pout, then quit and run for Miami!"

So again, I don't see the big deal with anything Mitch said here.

Exactly. Mitch isn't saying Kobe wouldn't be consulted on a future coach, merely that Kobe won't be in on the decision regarding MDA staying another year or not.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject:

why consult with someone who doesnt want the coach there? There is no reason to consult with Kobe on that specific issue. They know where he stands and what his answer is. Just wanting to make a story cause its the Lakers.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
saacman5033 wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
I don't blame Kobe for wanting to get paid, and taking all that money from the Lakers....but if he really did want a shot at #6, he probably needed to leave the Lakers this offseason and go to a contender like the Bulls. He would have put them over the top easily and he'd probably even have a shot at #7 too.

But taking that money has basically made Kobe a hostage to this front office. I don't like how Mitch portrayed it to the media, "no choice, deal with it". Pretty dickish, arrogant type of thing to say.

Meh, it's the truth and the way things should be.

I think it's funny that Magic says something to bag on the Lakers and everyone says "it's the truth so what's the big deal"

Kobe says something to bag on the Lakers and everyone says the same thing. It's the truth, what's the big deal.

What Mitch said is the truth so why is it a big deal now to some? Hmmm? Suspicious! =P

Mitch is the GM of the Lakers, you can't be saying things like that. With the FO ignoring both Dwight and Kobe's wishes, and that being clear public knowledge, you don't think a guy like Durant is sitting there and thinking about how he doesn't want to join an org that doesn't take his input? Or someone like LeBron? Or any future free agent superstars?

It's not like it was horrible input either, hire Phil Jackson, please fire MDA, hire Brian Shaw. All of these things should have been done anyway. So not only are you making terrible decisions, you are completely shutting out your stars. That's not something you glorify in public, that your star player "has no choice".

So what are you saying? That it's not enough to be the truth?

And no, I don't think Durant or Lebron is sitting there and thinking about how they don't want to join the Lakers some day because of that comment. Well, any less than they heard Kobe's comment about problems starting from the top and thinking about how they don't want to join an org that has problems from the top. Or Magic's comments too perhaps.

I also disagree it was being glorified in public. That's being dramatic at worst. It was an answer to a question in an interview. I get the whole defend Kobe at all costs thing, I'm just not there.

You miss the point if you think this is about "defending Kobe". This is defending the Lakers from a potentially damaging statement from its general manager.

Those players will take all of those things into account. Not to mention those are people Kobe's peers. If Kobe weren't so loyal to the team, he might be inclined to tell these players to stay away, something Dwight(a person who is not loyal to the franchise) is probably already telling his peers when asked.

Perception is everything. it doesn't matter if it's the truth, you keep that internally and out of the press. It was as much of a message to potential star free agents as much as it was to Kobe, and sending messages to Kobe does absolutely nothing for us right now. No positive can come out of that comment.

And I'm pretty sure you didn't call out Magic Johnson OR Kobe Bryant for their potentially damaging statements. Right?

Also, I can think of some positive things that COULD come out of that comment.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
saacman5033 wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
I don't blame Kobe for wanting to get paid, and taking all that money from the Lakers....but if he really did want a shot at #6, he probably needed to leave the Lakers this offseason and go to a contender like the Bulls. He would have put them over the top easily and he'd probably even have a shot at #7 too.

But taking that money has basically made Kobe a hostage to this front office. I don't like how Mitch portrayed it to the media, "no choice, deal with it". Pretty dickish, arrogant type of thing to say.

I think it's funny that Magic says something to bag on the Lakers and everyone says "it's the truth so what's the big deal"

Kobe says something to bag on the Lakers and everyone says the same thing. It's the truth, what's the big deal.

What Mitch said is the truth so why is it a big deal now to some? Hmmm? Suspicious! =P

Mitch is the GM of the Lakers, you can't be saying things like that. With the FO ignoring both Dwight and Kobe's wishes, and that being clear public knowledge, you don't think a guy like Durant is sitting there and thinking about how he doesn't want to join an org that doesn't take his input? Or someone like LeBron? Or any future free agent superstars?

It's not like it was horrible input either, hire Phil Jackson, please fire MDA, hire Brian Shaw. All of these things should have been done anyway. So not only are you making terrible decisions, you are completely shutting out your stars. That's not something you glorify in public, that your star player "has no choice".

The only thing worse than making a player feel like he has no input is actually giving the player input.

Agreed, that's why we didn't listen to Magic when he wanted Westhead gone. Never give a player input, it's bad. Dr. Buss knew this.

Any way, it's all about perception. Even if you don't really give that player input, you have to create the perception that you are. This is politics 101. Discuss your plans with that player, listen to what they have to say, inform them of dealings before it reaches the press. You have to give them the impression you are listening to them, and if your opinion just so happens to align with theirs, when that decision is ultimately made, it will give the impression the player has pull.

Players want that. They want to know all the hard work and dedication is being appreciated, and that they are not just another employee. Star players need to be coddled.

So when you're coming out with "no input, no choice", players are going to look at that and be turned off, especially when you have a guy like Phil in NY who probably understands this and will tell them what they want to hear. Not that it's just Phil that understands this, but he probably understands it more than anyone, and now he's in a position of power, in direct competition with us. Can't be making comments like that.
pd23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
saacman5033 wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

The only thing worse than making a player feel like he has no input is actually giving the player input.

Agreed, that's why we didn't listen to Magic when he wanted Westhead gone. Never give a player input, it's bad. Dr. Buss knew this.

Any way, it's all about perception. Even if you don't really give that player input, you have to create the perception that you are. This is politics 101. Discuss your plans with that player, listen to what they have to say, inform them of dealings before it reaches the press. You have to give them the impression you are listening to them, and if your opinion just so happens to align with theirs, when that decision is ultimately made, it will give the impression the player has pull.

Players want that. They want to know all the hard work and dedication is being appreciated, and that they are not just another employee. Star players need to be coddled.

So when you're coming out with "no input, no choice", players are going to look at that and be turned off, especially when you have a guy like Phil in NY who probably understands this and will tell them what they want to hear. Not that it's just Phil that understands this, but he probably understands it more than anyone, and now he's in a position of power, in direct competition with us. Can't be making comments like that.

Wasn't Magic like 22 at that time and had a whole career ahead of him? Kobe is at the end of his career.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
saacman5033 wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

Predictably, you're taking it out of context. The quote was "He'll be fine. He's got no choice. He'll be fine."

He wasn't referring to the fact that Kobe has to deal with whatever the Lakers decide to do because he's locked up for 2 years.

Mitch was referring to the fact that Kobe has no choice in terms of whether or not the Lakers will be competing for a championship next year because there is so much still that isn't known.

Kobe's honor doesn't need defending cmon guys.
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
saacman5033 wrote:
To those who think Mitch somehow royally screwed things up in this interview, have you read the whole interview and taken things in context?

These two sound bites seem to be the ones that have folks' panties all in a twist:

- Question prompting this response was "Will he factor in on the decision about Mike?"

- My thoughts: What good does it do to consult (or admit to consulting) Kobe either way on this? If they do and MDA gets canned, Kobe is labelled a coach killer. If they do and MDA stays, well we're still losers next year.

- Note that nowhere was it said whether Kobe would have any input on the next coach or really anything else for that matter. Mitch shutting or claiming to shut Kobe out of this decision is good for all involved

- Question prompting this response: "So how's Kobe going to handle that?" (with "that" being the possibility of not being championship contenders next year)

- My thoughts: How else to handle that question? It's not like Mitch or anyone else can guarantee a title contender next year, and it's not like he's going to respond with something like, "Oh, I think if Kobe sees this as a non-contender he'll pout, then quit and run for Miami!"

Exactly. Mitch isn't saying Kobe wouldn't be consulted on a future coach, merely that Kobe won't be in on the decision regarding MDA staying another year or not.

Right, looking back and trying to figure out what the big deal is here, I think folks only really have a problem with the misleading thread title and OP's spin on the article.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject:

You could even hold a meeting with that player to get their input. Once you have their input and it's something you also agree with, tell them you want the opposite thing. Let them "persuade" you into the choice you already wanted. Now the player thinks he has pull, that's going to make him want to play for you even more. You have to know how to play the game. When you not only completely shut that player out(which has already been said by Kobe), and then come out and explicitly state this player has no other choice but to go along with what you do, that's not playing the game, that's being stupid.

Even if they want something that's in complete opposite of what you want, at least they feel they have a voice in the matter.

They could have done this with Dwight if they actually wanted Phil. Brought him into a meeting to discuss the next Lakers coach. He obviously wanted Phil Jackson as he had already been asking for him. Tell him you want Mike D'Antoni and let him "persuade" you into Phil Jackson. Proceed to hire Phil, and now you've made him feel like he has pull in the organization.

Guys like Durant don't want to be hearing about how the GM of a team is completely shutting out its star player, and that said player has "no choice" because they are already locked into a contract.

He'll probably meet with a Phil who will be telling him everything he wants to hear. You could also tell him everything he wants to hear, but when "no choice, you're under contract" and "shut out Kobe (bleep) Bryant" is in the back of their minds, your words will fall on deaf ears.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject:

saacman5033 wrote:
24 wrote:
saacman5033 wrote:

Right, looking back and trying to figure out what the big deal is here, I think folks only really have a problem with the misleading thread title and OP's spin on the article.

The big deal is that anything that doesn't make Kobe a messiah, is assumed to be making him a pariah.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
saacman5033 wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

If Kobe wants to give his opinion, he can sit in Mitch's office and tell him anything he wants. Mitch wants feedback and information that will help him make decisions about the team and coach. Having that private convesrsation will not translate into Mitch publicly saying they will consult with Kobe on whether or not to fire the coach. There is just no upside to saying that.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
You could even hold a meeting with that player to get their input. Once you have their input and it's something you also agree with, tell them you want the opposite thing. Let them "persuade" you into the choice you already wanted. Now the player thinks he has pull, that's going to make him want to play for you even more. You have to know how to play the game. When you not only completely shut that player out(which has already been said by Kobe), and then come out and explicitly state this player has no other choice but to go along with what you do, that's not playing the game, that's being stupid.

Even if they want something that's in complete opposite of what you want, at least they feel they have a voice in the matter.

They could have done this with Dwight if they actually wanted Phil. Brought him into a meeting to discuss the next Lakers coach. He obviously wanted Phil Jackson as he had already been asking for him. Tell him you want Mike D'Antoni and let him "persuade" you into Phil Jackson. Proceed to hire Phil, and now you've made him feel like he has pull in the organization.

Guys like Durant don't want to be hearing about how the GM of a team is completely shutting out its star player, and that said player has "no choice" because they are already locked into a contract.

He'll probably meet with a Phil who will be telling him everything he wants to hear. You could also tell him everything he wants to hear, but when "no choice, you're under contract" and "shut out Kobe (bleep) Bryant" is in the back of their minds, your words will fall on deaf ears.

Out of context.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
saacman5033 wrote:

Agreed - and it might indicate that not only do they already know Kobe's feelings on the matter but that perhaps a decision has been reached so no further discussion is warranted.

Exactly. That's my feeling as well... during Kobe's contract extension negotiation it was agreed that MDA wont be brought back next year.
No reason to pinpoint such a decision on Kobe's shoulders - he doesn't need the PR hit. Best if it comes straight from management.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
saacman5033 wrote:

can you imagine how strong those words are in a current league where CP3 basically got Doc Rivers and Melo just forced management to hire Phil Jackson

Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:

Mitch and Jim met with Kobe and Pelinka last week.
Quote:

The Lakers keep seeking stability, a main reason team executives Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak recently sat down with Kobe Bryant for a clear-the-air meeting, The Times has learned.

Buss and Kupchak thought it was important to follow up Bryant's blast of the front office last month by hearing him out at the El Segundo office of Bryant's agent, Rob Pelinka.

Buss and Kupchak reassured Bryant that the next two years — possibly the last of his career — wouldn't be wasted. They also stressed this season was a mess primarily because of injuries, and the Lakers wouldn't be hitting new lows if Bryant had played more than six games.

They remain committed to signing a big-name free agent in two of the next three summers — whether it's LeBron James this July (unlikely), Kevin Love next year or Kevin Durant in 2016.

It was unclear what was said about Coach Mike D'Antoni, though Bryant does not like D'Antoni's small-ball concept and misses the winning mind-set Phil Jackson provided while coaching the Lakers. D'Antoni has another season left on his contract for about $4 million.

The meeting showed how much clout Bryant still held with the only franchise he's ever known. The Lakers want to hear what he has to say, undeniably, and Buss has remained in constant contact with Bryant since the gathering.

link

Last edited by Hector the Pup on Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

how do u know?
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

how do u know?

LA Times. link and quote above
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Kobe has input, he just doesn't have final say. He's earned it.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:

JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:

He has, and even more to the point, he has something to contribute far in excess of what a typical NBA player may offer. His input may need to be tempered or applied within the context of the greater good of the team, but would be valuable and welcome.
SmokeAndAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

Quote:

The Lakers keep seeking stability, a main reason team executives Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak recently sat down with Kobe Bryant for a clear-the-air meeting, The Times has learned.

Buss and Kupchak thought it was important to follow up Bryant's blast of the front office last month by hearing him out at the El Segundo office of Bryant's agent, Rob Pelinka.

Buss and Kupchak reassured Bryant that the next two years — possibly the last of his career — wouldn't be wasted. They also stressed this season was a mess primarily because of injuries, and the Lakers wouldn't be hitting new lows if Bryant had played more than six games.

They remain committed to signing a big-name free agent in two of the next three summers — whether it's LeBron James this July (unlikely), Kevin Love next year or Kevin Durant in 2016.

It was unclear what was said about Coach Mike D'Antoni, though Bryant does not like D'Antoni's small-ball concept and misses the winning mind-set Phil Jackson provided while coaching the Lakers. D'Antoni has another season left on his contract for about $4 million.

The meeting showed how much clout Bryant still held with the only franchise he's ever known. The Lakers want to hear what he has to say, undeniably, and Buss has remained in constant contact with Bryant since the gathering.

link

Thanks for posting this. While I don't want Kobe having a vote in the process, it's nice to know that the Lakers are still open to hearing what his vote would be.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Luca Brasi wrote:

He has, and even more to the point, he has something to contribute far in excess of what a typical NBA player may offer. His input may need to be tempered or applied within the context of the greater good of the team, but would be valuable and welcome.

Right. And I think that's the core thing. Mitch even alluded to this. They will not be making any knee jerk decisions.

Kobe isn't concerned with how things will impact the team after he is gone. He's only going to be concerned (and understandably so) with things that affect him for the next 2 years. We need to have the decision makers thinking far beyond that.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject:

One reason you say you aren't going to consult with a guy you already consulted with is to absolve him of responsibility for what you are planning to do about the thing you consulted with him on but won't be consulting on with him.

In other words, if you are thinking of not retaining MDA, and Kobe is in agreement, you're doing him a solid by taking all of the responsibility.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject:

saacman5033 wrote:
With all the complaining about MDA, do we really want Kobe to have any choice on the coach? MDA was his top choice after all.

I just don't see the big deal with any of Mitch's answers to direct questions and thought he tried to shield Kobe from criticism as much as anything.

Kobe did not know that Phil was interviewed until after MDA was hired. Kobe did react favorable to MDA but that is far different than saying Kobe's first choice was MDA. You make it sound like Kobe had a list of coaches that he would approve.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Mitch about to trade Kobe to the Knicks.

amare and Tim hardaway
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
One reason you say you aren't going to consult with a guy you already consulted with is to absolve him of responsibility for what you are planning to do about the thing you consulted with him on but won't be consulting on with him.

In other words, if you are thinking of not retaining MDA, and Kobe is in agreement, you're doing him a solid by taking all of the responsibility.

I hope you're right.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9
Jump to: