Mitch Kupchak USA Today Interview (among other things, says Lakers will not consult with Kobe about coach decision)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
One reason you say you aren't going to consult with a guy you already consulted with is to absolve him of responsibility for what you are planning to do about the thing you consulted with him on but won't be consulting on with him.

In other words, if you are thinking of not retaining MDA, and Kobe is in agreement, you're doing him a solid by taking all of the responsibility.

The problem with that is Nash has already stated they they don't work together so the perception will be there anyway
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Either way, you don't say you're not consulting him unless you're in agreement. If you're going to do something he doesn't agree with, the standard form is "we will consult with him and make the right decision for the team as a whole". The whole syntax of this was too aggressive for Mitch. He isn't picking a fight with Kobe here, there's no gain in that. He's giving him cover.
SmokeAndAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Mitch about to trade Kobe to the Knicks.

amare and Tim hardaway

Nah, would have to be Shumpert. The Knicks are not going to take on Kobe's $25 million contract in 2015 (and effectively obliterate their cap space) and then give up Hardaway too.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
saacman5033 wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
I don't blame Kobe for wanting to get paid, and taking all that money from the Lakers....but if he really did want a shot at #6, he probably needed to leave the Lakers this offseason and go to a contender like the Bulls. He would have put them over the top easily and he'd probably even have a shot at #7 too.

But taking that money has basically made Kobe a hostage to this front office. I don't like how Mitch portrayed it to the media, "no choice, deal with it". Pretty dickish, arrogant type of thing to say.

Meh, it's the truth and the way things should be.

I think it's funny that Magic says something to bag on the Lakers and everyone says "it's the truth so what's the big deal"

Kobe says something to bag on the Lakers and everyone says the same thing. It's the truth, what's the big deal.

What Mitch said is the truth so why is it a big deal now to some? Hmmm? Suspicious! =P

Mitch is the GM of the Lakers, you can't be saying things like that. With the FO ignoring both Dwight and Kobe's wishes, and that being clear public knowledge, you don't think a guy like Durant is sitting there and thinking about how he doesn't want to join an org that doesn't take his input? Or someone like LeBron? Or any future free agent superstars?

It's not like it was horrible input either, hire Phil Jackson, please fire MDA, hire Brian Shaw. All of these things should have been done anyway. So not only are you making terrible decisions, you are completely shutting out your stars. That's not something you glorify in public, that your star player "has no choice".

The only thing worse than making a player feel like he has no input is actually giving the player input.

Agreed, that's why we didn't listen to Magic when he wanted Westhead gone. Never give a player input, it's bad. Dr. Buss knew this.

Any way, it's all about perception. Even if you don't really give that player input, you have to create the perception that you are. This is politics 101. Discuss your plans with that player, listen to what they have to say, inform them of dealings before it reaches the press. You have to give them the impression you are listening to them, and if your opinion just so happens to align with theirs, when that decision is ultimately made, it will give the impression the player has pull.

Players want that. They want to know all the hard work and dedication is being appreciated, and that they are not just another employee. Star players need to be coddled.

So when you're coming out with "no input, no choice", players are going to look at that and be turned off, especially when you have a guy like Phil in NY who probably understands this and will tell them what they want to hear. Not that it's just Phil that understands this, but he probably understands it more than anyone, and now he's in a position of power, in direct competition with us. Can't be making comments like that.

This is politics 101.

players are going to look at that and be turned off, especially when you have a guy like Phil in NY who probably understands this and will tell them what they want to hear.

You are exactly right..... Mitch is suppose to be an experienced GM, sounds more like a boss talking about common union employees.
TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Did people expect Mitch to say we are going to ask Kobe what he wants and give it to him?

Because what Kobe wanted was to deal Bynum along with whatever salary we had for Jason Kidd. Meaning no Pau Gasol.

If I remember correctly, Kobe was also on board with the MDA signing. Not as much as Phil, but unlike Brown he did show some approval of the signing. The one consistency with Kobe has been if the team is playing well he doesn't question the FO at all but the moment they lose he raises hell. Mitch and the Lakers would be fools to give into every demand Kobe had when something goes wrong. He's still an employee and his job is to play basketball for whoever the Lakers decide to pick as a coach.
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Wow, there are some nutty Lakers fans here. The topic was dumping D'Antoni and OF COURSE he is going to say that he isn't going to consult Kobe because to do so would be throwing Kobe under the bus placing blame on him. We all know Kobe has already expressed his desires. My guess is that there is no way Kobe plays for D'Antoni and his "I actually WANT to lose defense" next year and he has made that clear.
salami
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject:

youcantguardme wrote:
Wow, there are some nutty Lakers fans here. The topic was dumping D'Antoni and OF COURSE he is going to say that he isn't going to consult Kobe because to do so would be throwing Kobe under the bus placing blame on him. We all know Kobe has already expressed his desires. My guess is that there is no way Kobe plays for D'Antoni and his "I actually WANT to lose defense" next year and he has made that clear.

The correct answer would have been "of course we will keep Kobe in the loop. He is a living legend with a brilliant basketball mind and ignoring his opinion would be foolish and negligent."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
ok... time to exit this thread as i can't follow the logic

There is no logic, just the same people (bleep) and moaning and turning every thread into a bash Jim Buss/MDA thread.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
No - a great post by USC - sadly I think Mitch was also part of the D'Antoni hire. Mitch made it clear there he had the relationship with MDA and knew what he was bringing. They were behind it, and even thought it was going to be fantastic.

In Lakers POV, if Nash stays healthy, MDA does better. If Dwight sees Nash do what he can, MDA looks better. They seem to feel everything went down the tubes with Nash not playing like an all-star.

It is what it is, I'm over it. All the great GM's make mistakes. D'Antoni is on Mitch's resume as well, not just Jim. The main problem with Jim, is that it seems his position and relationship with Jackson is what caused the Lakers to not go back to the person that would have been the best choice, otherwise. So D'Antoni was option 2, an option they liked (Wrongfully) but an option that had Jim/Phil and all had the type of relationship Dr Buss had with Phil, it probably wouldn't have come to this.

Dr. Buss knew the end was near, he didn't want Phil anywhere near his kids and organization when that time came. I believe that it was Jerry, not Jim, who told Mitch to call Phil that night.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:

Mitch is the GM of the Lakers, you can't be saying things like that. With the FO ignoring both Dwight and Kobe's wishes, and that being clear public knowledge, you don't think a guy like Durant is sitting there and thinking about how he doesn't want to join an org that doesn't take his input? Or someone like LeBron? Or any future free agent superstars?

It's not like it was horrible input either, hire Phil Jackson, please fire MDA, hire Brian Shaw. All of these things should have been done anyway. So not only are you making terrible decisions, you are completely shutting out your stars. That's not something you glorify in public, that your star player "has no choice".

It would be a good idea to read the article before commenting. Players don't care about stuff like that, and Mitch is greatly respected among player agents, who control the players. FAs will come.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject:

pd23 wrote:
Why would Mitch want input from Kobe? Kobe has 2 years left. We are rebuilding, this is a long term process for the good of the Lakers, not to see if we can get some players and mess up our Cap again. Got to make smart signings and draft picks.

They went that route and it was derailed by injuries. Mitch knows that, Kobe knows that, you and I know that. The next plan will be different, and Kobe will have no choice but to play along. And call me crazy, but I don't think Kobe will have a problem with helping young players develop alongside him.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

It would be a good idea to read the article before commenting. Players don't care about stuff like that, and Mitch is greatly respected among player agents, who control the players. FAs will come.

Did read the article and players definitely care about stuff like that(you kidding me?).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject:

So despite a former player saying otherwise, I guess you know better. Useless to argue with that kind of thinking, your mind was made up before you read the article.
pd23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

Did read the article and players definitely care about stuff like that(you kidding me?).

Do you think okc asked Durant for input before they diminished his title chances by a lot when they traded Harden?
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject:

If they fire D'antoni, you really don't think Kobe was consulted??

He goes from angry in one day to totally cool the next? If he's fired, they might have decided this weeks ago.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Nordvader wrote:
What would L.G. do without another thinly veiled bash Kobe thread, praise be to Mitch indeed.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Either way, you don't say you're not consulting him unless you're in agreement. If you're going to do something he doesn't agree with, the standard form is "we will consult with him and make the right decision for the team as a whole". The whole syntax of this was too aggressive for Mitch. He isn't picking a fight with Kobe here, there's no gain in that. He's giving him cover.

after reading that la times article, I completely agree
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject:

salami wrote:
youcantguardme wrote:

The correct answer would have been "of course we will keep Kobe in the loop. He is a living legend with a brilliant basketball mind and ignoring his opinion would be foolish and negligent."

I think that BS would have everyone rolling their eyes. It's pretty clear to me that it's been a long time since the Lakers even pretended to care what Kobe thinks about personnel decisions.
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
salami wrote:
youcantguardme wrote:

I think that BS would have everyone rolling their eyes. It's pretty clear to me that it's been a long time since the Lakers even pretended to care what Kobe thinks about personnel decisions.
I don't know how long is a long time ago but this is from just three years ago:

Quote:
Jim Buss, Los Angeles Lakers executive and son of owner Dr. Jerry Buss, says he regrets not talking to Kobe Bryant about the decision to hire Mike Brown as Phil Jackson's successor.

"Looking back on it, we should have contacted Kobe," Jim Buss said in an interview with the Los Angeles Times that ran Saturday night. "Kobe said it was management's job to pick a coach. He just said, 'Defense first.' That's what we were doing, but we should have reached out to him."

At this point though I definitely think Kobe's input isn't nearly as important. All he can do is sulk, and that will affect him more than anyone else...
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:41 am    Post subject:

I think Kobe wants to retire and watch his beloved Lakers blossom before he fades into the sunset. That is why he is so frustuated. He is a Laker for life just like Magic and company. It hurts their soul when they suck this way.
I think Kobe has trust in Mitch and company now that they have proven that they will turn it around.

Kobe would love another ring no doubt, but he is smart barring a miracle it is not going to happen.
TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject:

I agree with pretty much what 24, JerryMagicKobe, Luca Brasi and others said in the last two pages (pages 7 and 8 of this thread).

Also, the LA Times article cited by Hector The Pup provides a lot of important information, I think.

When I wrote my comments in the original post, I was not aware of the information in the LA Times article. Having seen that information, my guess is that Mitch is providing cover for Kobe here rather than picking or continuing any kind of (front office versus Kobe) fight with him.

When I shared my thoughts in the first two pages of the thread, that was pretty much exactly my interpretation of the Mitch interview based upon the text itself and the context that I was aware of. I made no attempt to spin anything but was simply giving my take on the interview based upon what I knew. The same text, and even text and context, can yield various interpretations and often does.

However, in light of the LA Times piece Hector brought up, I now feel differently as regards the subject of Kobe being "consulted" or "on board" with whatever happens to MDA. I cannot imagine that Jimmy and Mitch sat down with Kobe and Rob and the subject of MDA did not come up. That just doesn't seem realistic.

Thus, I have changed my interpretation of what Mitch said. And to dovetail with what Luca said, Mitch said somewhat recently something along the lines of the front office will talk with Kobe about a number of things but not necessarily everything. Or something like that.

My comments during this entire season have often fallen into two categories.

Number one, chain of command and respect for ownership, management and coaches. That is, the coach makes the decisions as regards the players, in general, and the front office makes the decisions about the direction of the team. I'm old school this way. So if I feel like someone disrupts that chain of command, whoever they are, that will make me unhappy. It could be a player, it could be a former coach, it could be anyone. I've been fairly consistent as regards my feelings on this matter in the time I've been here, both with figures this year (Kaman, Pau, Kobe, Magic) and previous figures (Jamison, Phil).

The Busses own the Lakers and they run the Lakers, along with Mitch and others. I don't like people on the outside taking shots at the Busses or trying to manage the Lakers who don't work for the Lakers or who may be overstepping their bounds in making suggestions, particularly public ones. I am probably always going to react to that.

I respect Dr Buss, and what he built. I trust his vision. I respect Jimmy, Jeanie, Mitch and other Lakers management and staff, even if I don't agree with them. If I have to weigh management versus a player or former player/coach, I will usually side with management because (especially as regards the Busses) I view them as more permanent and the player or former player/coach as more temporary. The Busses will still be around once Steve Nash is gone, for example. I am a front of the jersey guy more so than a back of the jersey guy.

Number two, future focus as compared with present focus. People often say to me "why do you rip on Kobe so much?" The answer for me is simple. Kobe, to me, is part of the glorious past. But I don't see him as part of a championship future, due to where he is at in his career and where we are at in our rebuild. I am more focused on the future than the past. So my glee at what I thought Mitch was saying is about feeling like the front office feels like I do, and they are being realistic (in my view).

If Kobe comes out and rips the front office, that won't work for me, as laid out in my "number one" above. If Kobe comes out and says he wants to hasten a rebuild for self-interest reasons, that won't work for me based upon my "number two." Because I don't think we can realistically do that and compete for a title. We tried to go "all in" last year, and it failed. But we tried it. Now I think it's time to move on.

Others may feel differently than I do, and it's clear many do. Good! That's why it's so awesome there's a forum like LakersGround to discuss how we feel. If we all agreed, it would be pretty boring, in my opinion.

My goal is for the Lakers to win and win big as soon as possible. But my feeling is that such a goal will not be achieved in the next two years. It might not even be achieved in three years, which I think Mitch said was possible in the interview.

I have made my feelings known here many times, including in this thread, about Phil. But now Phil is gone, so I don't have to think about Phil anymore. So who does that leave on the team who may be most interested in what I think could be a "quick fix" rebuild attempt that might hurt the franchise? The veterans, in particular Kobe and Pau. Nash seems about done, so he's likely out of the picture in my mind.

Pau doesn't have the clout Kobe has, and that is understandable in my way of thinking. Kobe has earned his clout with the team and the fans. As I have said many times, I have a lot of respect for Kobe and I thank him for all he has done for the team.

But if I have a different concept of what should be done with the team, however, than Kobe does, then I'm going to bring up Kobe. Not because I hate or even dislike Kobe, but because he is the most obvious, relevant, and vocal symbol of what I view as the potentially wrong way to go with the franchise at this stage of Kobe's career. Or to put it another way, when Kobe says he wants a quick rebuild or whatever for self interest reasons, I take him seriously and I want to make my voice heard to say I don't agree with that path for the team right now.

That is why I bring up Kobe so much.

Even with a slightly different understanding or take on what Mitch said given the information from the LA Times article Hector provided, I'm still very happy with what Mitch said and that he said it. Just as I'm happy with the Lakers retaining Mitch on a new contract. He deserves it.

I still think, and hope, the front office is seeing things in a manner similar to how I am seeing them. In the LA Times article Hector showed, there were three free agents mentioned and none of them was Carmelo Anthony. I don't know if that is just Bresnahan choosing to omit Carmelo himself, or if Bresnahan is hearing that Carmelo is not on the radar for the team. I have heard that Carmelo is not really on the radar for us, and I hope that is why Bresnahan did not include Carmelo's name.

Last edited by TheLakerWay on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:27 am; edited 2 times in total
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject:

Comment removed.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject:

Deng will most likely be the free agent we sign this summer. Having Deng and a top 6 pick would be more enticing for Love or any other free agent to come in 2015. Mitch comments suggest that he will wait until next summer to pursue Love and just go with Kobe/Deng/draft pick for next year. We can start the rebuild but still be competitive at the same time.

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2014/04/10/los-angeles-lakers-rumors-luol-deng-on-the-lakers-radar-this-offseason/
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject:

pd23 wrote:

Do you think okc asked Durant for input before they diminished his title chances by a lot when they traded Harden?

Still can't believe OKC broke up a potentially championship-caliber Big 3 like that lol. Call me crazy, but I think that move will cost them Durant in 2016. Look for Mitch to swing for the fences and hit one out of the park when KD hits free agency.
Kobe Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject:

They didn't consult Kobe on Brown or MDA either...how did that turn out?

The last coach Kobe lobbied for was Phil after 2005.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9
Jump to: