More Painful Season: This or the Previous Season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

More Painful Season: This or the Previous Season?
Last Season
61%
 61%  [ 76 ]
This Season
38%
 38%  [ 47 ]
Total Votes : 123

Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject:

Last season was a huge disappointment for me. This season I just haven't cared much, but I'm excited about the draft pick.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject:

what da heck, of course last season was more painful. last season we were a title contender going in, and then everything blew up in our faces. this season there was no expectation at all, even with a healthy Kobe, this is an 8th seed AT BEST. everyone including their moms know this supposed be a transition season, i just don't get the high expectation of this year from the voting results.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
what da heck, of course last season was more painful. last season we were a title contender going in, and then everything blew up in our faces. this season there was no expectation at all, even with a healthy Kobe, this is an 8th seed AT BEST. everyone including their moms know this supposed be a transition season, i just don't get the high expectation of this year from the voting results.

It's the recency effect at play.
NastyNas_87
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

some people enjoy mediocrity more than being at the bottom.....i guess

me personally, if we're not winning the title, I consider it a complete failure. i don't feel better winning 45 games and sneaking into the playoffs than losing 50+ games and being at the bottom of the west. to me going being in the lottery or losing in game 7 of the finals are both the same. FAILURE. at least if you finish at the bottom, you get the potential prize of drafting a franchise changing player.

this is why this season is better than last. at least we can have the chance at drafting a true heir to Kobe after he retires.
NastyNas_87
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I can't believe people are still effected by that. Kobe went down in December. IMO that is when all hope for this season should've ended in the mind of any reasonable fan.

How is loss #54 going to make someone feel any worse than loss #20 or @40 did? makes no sense to me. i'm numb to this season. I don't even consider it painful at all. just numb.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject:

Didn't the team have a .500 record at the 20 game mark?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject:

Last season. All that expectation turned into bad coaching, bad chemistry and injuries.

This season it was expected we would suck. Not really a surprise.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject:

This is like asking whether the nuke is more painful or the aftermath. If not for a couple of terrible decisions last season, this season would not as horrific as it is.
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject:

This season... hard to beat the worst season in franchise history.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
This season, by far.

Wasted potential sucks, but at least the team was relevant last season. This season was over in December and we've been twiddling our thumbs waiting for the lottery ever since. I'd rather lose and go out with a whimper than be irrelevant.

Also, rooting for a higher pick is just wack and is a situation I hope doesn't happen again soon. (bleep) this piece of (bleep) season.

Indeed.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject:

NastyNas_87 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I can't believe people are still effected by that. Kobe went down in December. IMO that is when all hope for this season should've ended in the mind of any reasonable fan.

How is loss #54 going to make someone feel any worse than loss #20 or @40 did? makes no sense to me. i'm numb to this season. I don't even consider it painful at all. just numb.

Better believe it because it's the only explanation.

If you LG search "worst season", it's the same comments recycled over and over for each down season we've ever had. The current season stings the most because the sting of other disappointments has long past and worn off.

I'm not sure how a season where you start off a title favorite, spend most of it in danger of missing the playoffs, and lose your star franchise player to an achilles tear, isn't worse than a season where you were supposed to suck and you sucked a little worse.

Unless, I'm picking the bee whose stinger is still stuck in me at the moment.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Pretty much been covered, but last season for Jerry's passing and the malaise around the team at the same time. Kobe's most serious injury ever at the end of his career capped it especially after all his legend-adding work last season driving driving the team to a few wins whatever it took, plus Nash never getting a chance really to show, then Blake being injured Pau being injured, bad feelings about Mike Brown's being in over his head turning into the Phil MDA issue. Just a swirling sharknado of wtf.

This season has been terrible, but because I currently believe it is a blip not a trend, it's just embarassing - worse but similar type of feeling to post Shaq prePau season. But again even with this limited roster, we had a ton of injuries. What can you do? This team doesn't have a Noah to hold the fort of respectability when DRose went down. This season never had a chance to even hope for mediocrity (which is what Atlanta, Minnesota those types of teams are - we are looking up at their level).

Besides as bad as we are, there are a couple of players who play consistently with heart or better than I expected to start, regardless of their individual limitations or the teams. Jodie, Farmar, Nick Young, Jordan Hill, Sacre of course the former. Ryan Kelly has been way better than I expected, Sacre too, Nick Young too as a leader and clutch player, even Bazemore slightly ok. They need some vets to guide them though. So these things lowered my expectations bigtime and were a few bright points occasionally. Also, I think I probably paid more attention to lakersground than actually watching laker games just sort of waiting it out floating on.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject:

I'd say last season. This season has definitely been painful, but last season was just something else. After being so excited and ready to make a run at another championship, we got repeatedly punched in the face over the entire season, both on the court and off the court, physically and emotionally.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Going into last season any reasonable observer considered us title contenders. It looked like we were going to have a great shot at winning another ring before Kobe retired and giving him a real chance at ending his career gracefully. It also seemed like we had recovered nicely from the CP3 fiasco, and that maybe Jim Buss wasn't an idiot after all.

Then...Nash got hurt, MB got fired and Phil got dumped for MDA, all the other injuries, then Dr. Buss dying, then Kobe getting hurt - it was a perfect storm of bad fortune. By midseason I was convinced that we had lost our winning karma, and that our great run with Kobe and Phil was dying a painful death. The only thing I could compare it to is maybe the events of the 91-92 season, but that was just before I started following the Lakers and the NBA.

This season is just a bittersweet confirmation that our championship days are long gone. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I really think the CP3 fiasco is our version of the death of Len Bias, or Magic finding out he had HIV.
KB24DB
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Definitely last season. We were expected to be championship contenders, which obviously didn't work out. Add in that disappointment with Kobe's injury and Dwight leaving and things just did not look good at all.

That's obviously the case right now but at least there's hope we can get someone in this draft, not to mention no one expected us to make any kind of noise so the pressure was never there.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject:

People say there was hope last season, but I feel like the team teased us or slowly tortured us. I didn't have any hope of making the Finals without Kobe and Nash. The team played well at the end of the season and then when Kobe got injured, I felt like that was cruel. I went from feeling hopeful to feeling crushed and shocked and knew it was all over. I REALLY wanted to see what a healthy Laker team would do in the playoffs.

How can anything be worse than Kobe suffering the injury that ended his season, possibly his career and has also greatly affected not only this season but future seasons? We never had a moment this season which was that bad. Right then I knew this team was done. Remember how furious people were with D'Antoni then?

On second thought, there is one thing that was worse. Dr. Buss passing away.

Yeah, Kobe did get injured again this season, but I didn't think that was nearly as shocking. Last year when he got injured, it was the first time he missed an entire postseason due to injury.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject:

KB24DB wrote:
Definitely last season. We were expected to be championship contenders, which obviously didn't work out. Add in that disappointment with Kobe's injury and Dwight leaving and things just did not look good at all.

That's obviously the case right now but at least there's hope we can get someone in this draft, not to mention no one expected us to make any kind of noise so the pressure was never there.

yup. dumb,stupid painful. and humiliating
MyKRo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject:

Last season, watching Dwight give zero effort was painful to watch.

This season is fine. I knew they'd be bad, and at least we get a nice draft pick!
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject:

Even healthy I believe we would of suck...Next season is the big question? will we or wont we suck? two straight disasters? Hope the lotto is fixed as sone say, so the Lakers can get the Number 1. If Mitch blows this (which I doubt) we are done fo another Century. I expect very little players from this season will be here next season. Interesting off season for sure.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject:

Last season. Went from contender to joke with the two Mikes holding the clipboard. This season everyone knew we'd suck with or without Kobe/Nash simply because Antoni was still in command.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject:

Last season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject:

Looking at the aftermaths, I would say last season. While losing Howard was a good thing for the team, getting a lottery pick in a strong draft is better.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject:

Yeah last season without a doubt
1) After having a pretty stellar season Kobe goes down with a significant injury
2) The coaching debacle
3) Nash sustains an injury that had a lasting impact on his laker tenure, really unfortunate given when has played healthy he showed he can still really play a solid game in terms of managing a team
4) D!2 drama
5) The alienation of Pau by our new coach
6) The alienation of multiple players by our new coach
7) The players openly criticizing pretty much everything
8) Perhaps not as many injuries as this year, but still significant injury time fore key players, like Pau and Blake
9) 1st round exit not exactly surprising but we were really a no show
10) The passing of a legendary owner
Sacreligious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject:

Without question, last season was awful.
D. Sharp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Definitely this season.

Last season, the Lakers by January had to deal the possibility of not only falling short of being a championship caliber team, but not even making the playoffs. So even with the wasted potential, they still had something to fight for. It wasn't much, but at the very least they can silence the critics who said they would miss the post-season. By getting into the playoffs they can retain at least a bit of their dignity. Plus, having our draft pick turn into a lottery pick for the Suns would've been an insult to injury.

Also, seeing them scrap their way into the playoffs was impressive. The fact that they reached it despite the odds, while winning 2 pivotal games against playoff teams without Kobe deserves recognition.

This season, on the other hand, has nothing for the Lakers to fight for other than for concept of winning. Also seeing promising players going down due to injury (some of them more than once) was not fun.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: