Revisiting the vetoed trade for Chris Paul...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
I don't think it really matters which deal was better. What does matter is that the league hired a GM to make the moves for the team and he finished a deal that most people felt was a great deal for them. I remember the 5 on 5 on ESPN right after it happened. Everyone thought they made out well. Some people felt the Lakers gave up too much. Then the commisioner vetoed the deal with no explanation. Looking back in hind sight at the decline of players acquired doesn't really matter. At that time, they were getting four solid players for a disgruntled one.

Here's the 5x5 you mentioned. I was one of the panelists:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7334694/nba-lingering-questions-chris-paul-trade

I don't think anyone thought the Hornets made out well, but as I noted, "The Hornets were never going to get the best of this or any other trade. They were dealing from a position of weakness. They had to trade Paul, and the rest of the league knew it."

That said, we can't really say the Commissioner vetoed it with no explanation. He DID give an explanation (I was on the phone conference with him when he explained it), and he didn't veto it as the Commissioner -- he did so as the owner of the team.

And let me be clear -- for any signing or trade of that size, where franchise players are involved, the owner of the team ALWAYS has the final say. Even though Mitch & Jim run the show on a day-to-day basis and Mitch did all the leg work on the trade, the deal would have gone to Jerry for a final thumbs-up or thumbs-down. LOTS of deals get killed at the last minute when the GMs put them together but the owners won't sign off on them. It happens -- and this is just one example.

But this is where my defense of the deal ends, because this is where the similarities to other deals end. In this case, Stern has installed Jac Sperling as the fiduciary over the Hornets, specifically to keep himself at arm's length, then he ignored that arrangement in vetoing the deal. If Sperling had made the call it would have looked a lot better (even if Sperling turned out to be just a Stern puppet).

But by swinging the axe himself, Stern conflated his two roles -- in fact, most people think Stern vetoed it as Commissioner, and not as the owner of the Hornets. What made it even worse was that Dan Gilbert not only wrote an obscenely stupid letter to Stern, he also leaked it to the public.

I tore Gilbert's letter apart here:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7336526/nba-critique-dan-gilbert-letter

Gilbert tried to cover by saying he wrote the letter after Stern had vetoed the deal (really -- he had a mutual friend who worked for the Cavs at the time call me to make that case), which was blatantly and obviously dishonest.

Thank you for taking the time to write such an informative explanation . I feel at peace with this veto, now.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
I don't think it really matters which deal was better. What does matter is that the league hired a GM to make the moves for the team and he finished a deal that most people felt was a great deal for them. I remember the 5 on 5 on ESPN right after it happened. Everyone thought they made out well. Some people felt the Lakers gave up too much. Then the commisioner vetoed the deal with no explanation. Looking back in hind sight at the decline of players acquired doesn't really matter. At that time, they were getting four solid players for a disgruntled one.

Here's the 5x5 you mentioned. I was one of the panelists:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7334694/nba-lingering-questions-chris-paul-trade

I don't think anyone thought the Hornets made out well, but as I noted, "The Hornets were never going to get the best of this or any other trade. They were dealing from a position of weakness. They had to trade Paul, and the rest of the league knew it."

That said, we can't really say the Commissioner vetoed it with no explanation. He DID give an explanation (I was on the phone conference with him when he explained it), and he didn't veto it as the Commissioner -- he did so as the owner of the team.

And let me be clear -- for any signing or trade of that size, where franchise players are involved, the owner of the team ALWAYS has the final say. Even though Mitch & Jim run the show on a day-to-day basis and Mitch did all the leg work on the trade, the deal would have gone to Jerry for a final thumbs-up or thumbs-down. LOTS of deals get killed at the last minute when the GMs put them together but the owners won't sign off on them. It happens -- and this is just one example.

But this is where my defense of the deal ends, because this is where the similarities to other deals end. In this case, Stern has installed Jac Sperling as the fiduciary over the Hornets, specifically to keep himself at arm's length, then he ignored that arrangement in vetoing the deal. If Sperling had made the call it would have looked a lot better (even if Sperling turned out to be just a Stern puppet).

But by swinging the axe himself, Stern conflated his two roles -- in fact, most people think Stern vetoed it as Commissioner, and not as the owner of the Hornets. What made it even worse was that Dan Gilbert not only wrote an obscenely stupid letter to Stern, he also leaked it to the public.

I tore Gilbert's letter apart here:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7336526/nba-critique-dan-gilbert-letter

Gilbert tried to cover by saying he wrote the letter after Stern had vetoed the deal (really -- he had a mutual friend who worked for the Cavs at the time call me to make that case), which was blatantly and obviously dishonest.

At the time, or after the trade failed, did Houston and the Lakers discuss trading Gasol directly for the same players that N.O. was getting for Paul? It seems to me that would of been a good deal for the Lakers because of Dragic and the 1st round pick. Sure Scola had a fat contract but so did Gasol, I believe Martin had one year left on his deal. Do you think that would have been a good deal for the Lakers?

Thank you for your contribution to LG it is much appreciated.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Revisiting the vetoed trade for Chris Paul...

Dreamshake wrote:
Sccit wrote:
I was curious regarding the opinions around here...we all know about the deal that brought cp3 to the lakers and immediately got vetoed. sad day in laker history...but my question is, which package for cp3 do u think was actually better. was it the clipper package revolving around eric gordon, or was it our package revolving around pau? tell me which u feel was actually the better deal and explain why.............

I don't see how anyone can say the Clipper package wasn't better when they look at what NO ultimately wound up with (Anthony Davis) and what happened to the players in the original package:

Scola - Older and no longer a difference maker
Martin - Older and no longer a difference maker
Odom - Out the league
Dragic - OVERALL STUD! But he really wanted to return to Phoenix.

The Pelicans are clearly better off with the package they received.

Nobody is saying that. What people are saying is that we had a done deal and then Stern unfairly intervened. It is correct to say that him killing the deal as "owner" when he is also commissioner of the league is a conflict of interest and not fair behavior.

What people are saying is that the Clippers should never have even been to the table because the Laker deal should've stood. When you are the commissioner of the league, you shouldn't also be able to act as the owner of one team, they were set up with autonomy to prevent exactly that type of action.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
ibij
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject:

thanks, op.
now i am getting mad now..
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
Free_Kobe wrote:
Adele Dazeem called... she said: LET IT GOOOO!
this mentality of let it go is hilarious to me. especially on LG.

Let go of the fact small market owners cried to stern to make him change our deal that wouldve placed us back in the hunt for years. now we're out of the hunt for a years.

but we should let all of that Go, while still crying about how we hate jim and mda?

its okay to go ON and ON and ON about jim buss and mda but its not okay to go on and on about something we know for a fact put us in this predicament? doesnt make sense folks. if you can cry about mda and jim. i darn sure can cry about what stern, dan gilbert/cuban/jordan did to us.

100% agreement. I often wonder why the Buss family did not sue Stern and the NBA.

What has happened as a result of that, has put the Lakers at their lowest point in LA team history.

And that, is the fact.

For everyone to go ON and ON and ON about Jimbo but try to shut everyone up if they even mention the Stern debacle.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
Free_Kobe wrote:

Let go of the fact small market owners cried to stern to make him change our deal that wouldve placed us back in the hunt for years. now we're out of the hunt for a years.

but we should let all of that Go, while still crying about how we hate jim and mda?

its okay to go ON and ON and ON about jim buss and mda but its not okay to go on and on about something we know for a fact put us in this predicament? doesnt make sense folks. if you can cry about mda and jim. i darn sure can cry about what stern, dan gilbert/cuban/jordan did to us.

100% agreement. I often wonder why the Buss family did not sue Stern and the NBA.

What has happened as a result of that, has put the Lakers at their lowest point in LA team history.

And that, is the fact.

For everyone to go ON and ON and ON about Jimbo but try to shut everyone up if they even mention the Stern debacle.

Chris Paul and Jordan Brand also lost a lot of money with that veto. Imagine a Jordan brand MVP candidate on the Lakers.
LakerCity
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
Free_Kobe wrote:

And that, is the fact.

I remember when the veto first happened it was reported Mitch was working in the late night with the Lakers lawyer to see what they could do. I guess there was no way to challenge it
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
In hindsight, the Clippers offer was superior. Under our deal, the Hornets would have gotten Odom, Dragic, Scola, and Martin, plus a first round pick from the Rockets. With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, we know that Odom was done. Scola has declined since then, as has Martin. Dragic has been good for Phoenix this year, but in hindsight our deal would have given them Dragic, a first round pick from Houston, and some spare parts.

We didn't know all of that at the time. Back then, I thought the Hornets got shafted when the league vetoed the deal. Odom was coming off a pretty good year, after all.

The Hornets didn't get a lot of value from the Pelicans, either, but they didn't wind up with Odom and a load of salary obligations.

They could have easily shipped off Odom to Dallas like the Lakers did. Martin turned into Harden. The only salary that would have been difficult to get rid of would have been Scola, yet the Suns still received a 1st round pick for him (on a lower salary).

In terms of a load of salary obligations, I would call Gordon just that.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject:

This was something the FO had no control over, so why the obession with it? The situations (Keeping Dwight, hiring Phil instead of MDA) where the FO actually had the power to affect the outcome, they horribly misplayed both.

I didn't like the CP3 trade from the beginning and am not convinced that Kobe and Paul would have meshed.
LakerCity
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
This was something the FO had no control over, so why the obession with it? The situations (Keeping Dwight, hiring Phil instead of MDA) where the FO actually had the power to affect the outcome, they horribly misplayed both.

I didn't like the CP3 trade from the beginning and am not convinced that Kobe and Paul would have meshed.

because theres people out there that like to believe the FO were the ones who messed up the trade
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject:

thegreatest wrote:

They could have easily shipped off Odom to Dallas like the Lakers did.

And you got what for Odom, a draft pick that will likely be a 2nd rounder due to how it's protected?

thegreatest wrote:

Martin turned into Harden.

Martin and a whole lot more, including a sure fire lotto pick, turned into Harden. The key piece of that trade was the lotto picks, not Martin, who they didn't resign.

thegreatest wrote:

The only salary that would have been difficult to get rid of would have been Scola, yet the Suns still received a 1st round pick for him (on a lower salary).

We had to amnesty Scola. He isn't fetching much with what he was being paid at the higher salary.

thegreatest wrote:

Gordon would fetch more via trade than all of those players IMO. NO wasn't the only team willing to give him a max deal.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject:

One aspect of this that has apparently been lost in the internal blamestorming among laker fans is how Stern reacted when Mitch put Dwight and Nash together. Remember marvelling at Dwight suddenly picking up cheap fouls fighting for position, or Nash suddenly becoming fair game to knock around like a pinata?
Prophet8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:
It's like being robbed for your wallet right after putting your long lost teenage love's number in it cuz you ran into her and she asked you to call her that night; but then the robber drops the wallet and some schmuk picks it up.

robber - is a prick for robbing you

schmuk whom found the wallet - he has her number now, but wont do anything with it

you - either way, you're screwed because for the foreseeable future you will be searching again for that long lost love. Except now, you know they're closeby.

longlost love - will move on and be her awesome self, but whatever happens it'll never be as good as if you had hooked up.

This makes me sad!!!!
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
I often wonder why the Buss family did not sue Stern and the NBA.

It's like a child suing its parents. It can be done, but at the end of the day, they are destined to coexist. So, why make the relationship even worse for the future.

Lakers gave up 4 picks for Nash. In hindsight, could the Lakers have sweetened the deal like Stern was demanding?
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Clippers deal was better. Great draft pick, Eric Gordon, Kaman.

So they traded for that great draft pick? No actually they made such a bad trade that they ended up with an awful record and some pretty coincidental luck.

Bad trade: Elite Player does not equal injured player + player on his way down hill. Maybe Good trade for Stern et. all equals screw the Lakers no matter how illogical.
LakerCity
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
One aspect of this that has apparently been lost in the internal blamestorming among laker fans is how Stern reacted when Mitch put Dwight and Nash together. Remember marvelling at Dwight suddenly picking up cheap fouls fighting for position, or Nash suddenly becoming fair game to knock around like a pinata?

that was Jimbo Dumbo's fault for putting Dwight and Nash on the same team though

Last edited by LakerCity on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Brandon98
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject:

It was never Lakers package vs. Clippers package.

Demps was dealing with Mitch for weeks with the Pau/LO package. Stern knew the details and nothing changed until the owners threw a (bleep) fit. Then, and only then did the asking price of Paul change. The Clippers deal came into play shortly after that.

Nothing Mitch/Jim could do about that. They made an offer, and Demps accepted it. Can't expect the FO to predict a wild uproar from owners and an unprecedented conflict of interest standing in the way.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject:

thegreatest wrote:
They could have easily shipped off Odom to Dallas like the Lakers did. Martin turned into Harden. The only salary that would have been difficult to get rid of would have been Scola, yet the Suns still received a 1st round pick for him (on a lower salary).

Dreamshake already responded to all of this, so I won't repeat it. I will just add that while the Suns got a first round draft pick as part of the Scola trade, it was Indiana's pick. Draft picks that late in the first round are worth so little that teams sell them for cash or trade them for second round picks, just so that they can get someone else to commit to the guaranteed contract.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

Out of curiosity, what was the reason? The only one I heard was "basketball reasons".
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject:

The Lakers mistake was the timing of announcing the deal.

I think it was DUMB... WHY!!!!!!! Let the CBA settle in and BAM!
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Out of curiosity, what was the reason? The only one I heard was "basketball reasons".

these issues completely sidestep the reasons an intermediary for team decisions was put in place originally. Or are people saying that he went absolutely power crazed and started making trades he shouldn't have been? No, that was his job, to keep the league at arm's length from the team.

Sure that may have been done to protect the league from an NBA owned team; but nor should it have been allowed for the league to sway Stern's opinion and overstep their own safeguards to the detriment of any single team.

And yes, he acted as the team owner, but that sudden decision and abuse of power was obviously made due to pressures he felt as the Commissioner.

But to address the original point, he HAD to veto it as the owner because there was no reason he could do anything as the commissioner; the trade was good.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject:

LakerCity wrote:
Wino wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
Free_Kobe wrote:

And that, is the fact.

I remember when the veto first happened it was reported Mitch was working in the late night with the Lakers lawyer to see what they could do. I guess there was no way to challenge it
you must have missed the interview. the buss family and mitch all ended up deciding not to go the lawsuit route. because they realized at the end of the day the lakers are apart of the entire WHOLE. the whole being THE NBA. So if they sue them they are basically suing themselves. or shooting themselves in the foot.

cause what happens when you pull a suit like that? what would be the grounds? "why did stern overturn our deal?" now you have laker lawyers trying to come up with motives. (was stern trying to do X, Y, Z. ) you start down that road and the nba starts looking like pro wrestling in some people's eyes. that would be a loss in revenue for the nba and the lakers.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

it wasnt dumb. it was perfect. what was wrong was whoever leaked the deal so dan gilbert, cuban, and jordan could cry about it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
LakerCity wrote:
Wino wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
Free_Kobe wrote:

And that, is the fact.

you must have missed the interview. the buss family and mitch all ended up deciding not to go the lawsuit route. because they realized at the end of the day the lakers are apart of the entire WHOLE. the whole being THE NBA. So if they sue them they are basically suing themselves. or shooting themselves in the foot.

cause what happens when you pull a suit like that? what would be the grounds? "why did stern overturn our deal?" now you have laker lawyers trying to come up with motives. (was stern trying to do X, Y, Z. ) you start down that road and the nba starts looking like pro wrestling in some people's eyes. that would be a loss in revenue for the nba and the lakers.

Well, once you get people under oath, you might be surprised the amount of truth that may have come out about the Lakers business, the NBA as a whole, etc. I'm sure reasonable people talked the Lakers down rather quickly on the lawsuit end. Further, you have anti-trust issues, maybe some judge makes a decision that fundamentally affects the NBA business model, etc.

I think the Lakers took the approach that they were done wrong but moved on. And they recovered fairly quickly with Nash, Dwight and Jamison.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

it wasnt dumb. it was perfect. what was wrong was whoever leaked the deal so dan gilbert, cuban, and jordan could cry about it.

The problem is that the commissioner himself actually listened.. lol
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: