Lakers with a better coach and a healthy 2013-14 roster wins

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Lakers with a better coach and a healthy 2013-14 roster wins?
Yes there was always enough talent
32%
 32%  [ 15 ]
No not enough talent to be a real contender
67%
 67%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 46

thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Lakers with a better coach and a healthy 2013-14 roster wins

I have this thought that if the lakers had hired Phil and we kept the same roster healthy we would have been a contender.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject:

I think with health and the current coach they could have contended for a playoff spot. Pretty much the same with any other coach as well.
AuraStar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject:

I agree with you guys.

The other day I was looking at the 2006-07 Lakers roster which had Kobe Bryant and a whole bunch of scrubs. They went 42-40, but were defeated in the 1st round by the Suns. In my opinion, I think this current Lakers squad is more talented than the '06 bunch, but they haven't yet really learned to play as a team...

If everyone had been healthy from the beginning and remained so, and with good coaching, I do think they probably could have contended for a playoff spot this year.

Last edited by AuraStar on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject:

Health and durability is a part of the game. Lots of great teams on paper that have been decimated by injuries.

But in your hypothetical, if 100% healthy, sure, they would be a fringe-playoff team, maybe a 6th seed at best.

But unlike 2k14, can't turn off "injury."
4OnTheFloor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject:

Even healthy this team is a .500 team. 42 wins will not get you into the playoffs in the west.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject:

was phil gonna suit up and protect the rim? he couldn't be any worse.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject:

AuraStar wrote:
I agree with you guys.

The other day I was looking at the 2006-07 Lakers roster which had Kobe Bryant and a whole bunch of scrubs. They went 42-40, but were defeated in the 1st round by the Suns. In my opinion, I think this current Lakers squad is more talented than the '06 bunch, but they haven't yet really learned to play as a team...

If everyone been healthy from the beginning and remained so, and with good coaching, I do think they probably could have contended for a playoff spot this year.

except for the minor fact that that team had the best player in basketball going for itself. we have jodie meeks.
AuraStar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
AuraStar wrote:
I agree with you guys.

If everyone had been healthy from the beginning and remained so, and with good coaching, I do think they probably could have contended for a playoff spot this year.

except for the minor fact that that team had the best player in basketball going for itself. we have jodie meeks.

Kobe healthy and a starter all season, and Meeks as a back-up.

...Among other things, that's what I meant when I said,"If everyone had been healthy from the beginning and remained so."
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
was phil gonna suit up and protect the rim? he couldn't be any worse.

Amen. We're dead last in opponents points in the paint (by a wide margin) for a reason.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject:

AuraStar wrote:
I agree with you guys.

We barely made the playoffs with dwight howard. So no, I don't necessarily agree which is why I had the team pegged for high 30 wins season.
mastersworddude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject:

With how tough the west is, it looks like 48-50 wins is needed for the 7-8th seed. I saw us completely healthy maybe 42-45 wins. I don't think we make it.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject:

AuraStar wrote:
I agree with you guys.

The western conference is much deeper now than it was in 2006-2007. This team is this bad for a reason, sadly as we have seen we need a complete overhaul of our roster if we intend to compete.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject:

If everything went their way, this team would still be scraping for an 8th seed. The roster isn't that talented, and our star players are over the hill, the main one coming off a major injury that will most likely change his game/career for ever.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Good question,

Shouldn't underestimate Kobe, Nash and Gasol. if healthy they know how to win and this time they would have a good bench;

With Phil as coach and everyone healthy we would've been a playoff team for sure. I'm guessing a 5th seed, advancing to second round. I think our young bench would've been a good boost to us in the regular season. but the starters; Nash, Kobe, Gasol, with Hill would've shown their age against an elite team in the western conference in the second round.

Phil definitely would've created more balance on the team and much better chemistry and a good basketball environment.

With MDA and a healthy roster, I'm not even sure we make the playoffs. Defense would still be bad and Kobe would've struggled with MDA's system.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject:

With Kobe, Nash and Gasol fully healthy, with Phil coaching. That's a championship contender.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject:

diando wrote:
With Kobe, Nash and Gasol fully healthy, with Phil coaching. That's a championship contender.

In 2008
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject:

not trying to rain on anybody's parade but if my fat neighbour had wheels he would be a truck. If, if...we'll never know and it doesnt really matter
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject:

A healthy roster even with DA would have been playoff bound. But that's about it.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject:

See to me of your in the playoffs with Kobe Bryant you can beat anyone.
Romano338
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Anyway, we had the coach we had and the injuries we had
So thinking about that won't bring much.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject:

Once Nash and Kobe both pretty much missed the season, it was over no matter who was coaching. Had they been healthy I think the would have won 50 games and been a playoff team, but still not a true contender. And I don't think any coach would have changed that. There may have been some better matches as coaches but you can only go so far as the talent will take you. And at this point even when healthy, Nash, Kobe and Pau aren't the players they were a few seasons ago.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I think with health and the current coach they could have contended for a playoff spot. Pretty much the same with any other coach as well.

Yep, I agree. We would have had an early exit but we would be in the play- off's...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: