Showtime

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kobeskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Showtime

Sorry if this has been discussed already but who has read the book Showtime?

I'm a little bit more than halfway through and it's fascinating.

I was a huge Kareem fan. Not so much anymore after this book.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject:

I have, and thought it was a great read.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Showtime

Kobeskillz wrote:

What in particular gave you a negative opinion about KAJ? I am old enough to have seen KAJ play and his personality/attitude IMO was never an endearing attribute. Great player, no question, one of the greatest of all time.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject:

Kareem's attitude never bothered me, like it did some. For me, I cared more that he came ready to play and wanted to win rings.

He was a serious dude, with things going on his head that didn't go on in my head. But I don't care about that. He wasn't a baby killer or a bad guy. He was a bit sullen but for reasons that I can at least understand from afar.

I swear to god, people want everyone to be just like them. Thhyggghhht!! Who cares if one guy is a joker and another guy is serious all the time? Who cares if one guy is conservative or another guy is liberal? Who cares if one guy likes country music or another guy likes jazz?

All I care about an athlete is if he plays for my team and hasn't committed felonies that I can't support. There are even some of those that I can tolerate as long as they are not violent towards the innocent.

Kareem brought us 5 rings and years of being one of the best. That was one heck of a great team, one which we are not likely to see anything close to for a long long time.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject:

Loved the book overall, wasn't interested in the slightest about all the "dirt" on Kareem that he wasn't exactly a warm and fuzzy guy.

Kareem went thru a lot of heavy ish in his life related to his height, race, religion, intellect etc. Just a guess, but all of that might have had something to do with his guarded/sensitive personality (and in fairness, Pearlman does allow for that in the book).

One thing I don't like in the book are the intimations that Kareem was somehow "holding back" Showtime (even if Magic himself had that erroneously stuck somewhere in his craw). That's patently absurd. Of course he slowed down as he got older, but it didn't damage the team. They averaged 59 wins per season during the Showtime era (1980-89), including five seasons of at least 60 wins, including four consecutive 60+ win seasons (1985-88) as Kareem was nearing the end. I believe the four straight 60+ win seasons is an NBA record (the Bulls won 60+ three straight seasons during the Jordan era). Doesn't look like he was "holding the team back" too badly...

And despite Kareem "slowing everything down", they still somehow managed to win five championships, the first three of which he was the best player on the team. Including the 1985 Finals, when at age 38, he was the MVP. Magic ever do that at that age? Jordan? Bird? Will Kobe or LeBron do that? I doubt it. That will likely never happen again.

The Showtime era was the perfect mix of Magic's electric brilliance, and Kareem's steady presence to calm the waters and deliver in the fourth period of the games (particularly in the postseason) when the high-wire act had been grounded.

Again, loved the book, but come on. Kareem may well be the greatest player in the history of the sport. The bizarre hate for the guy is insipid.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Showtime

Kobeskillz wrote:

Can you elaborate? It's been known for a while that he's often a sullen guy who's not easy to get along with. Any new info come out of the book?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Showtime

Kobeskillz wrote:

How much of that info on Kareem was new to you upon reading it? Did you think he was something else than what you discovered?
Kirby Brian
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Showtime

Like this?/

http://sigroup.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/steve-nash-dwight-howard-si-cover.jpg

http://blogimages.thescore.com/tbj/files/2012/10/steve-nash-dwight-howard-jokes.jpg
Kobeskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Showtime

non-player zealot wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:

How much of that info on Kareem was new to you upon reading it? Did you think he was something else than what you discovered?

Nothing is really new but lots of stories about him being a jerk. Telling fans to eff and being mean to children and just a bunch of stuff. Lots and lots of stories about him being a jerk. Lots of stories. I knew he was a jerk but the book really nails home that point.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: