DOJ finds systematic corruption in Albuquerque Police Department

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: DOJ finds systematic corruption in Albuquerque Police Department

http://krqe.com/2014/04/10/community-reacts-to-dojs-findings-on-apd/

Just saying. If one entire police force (not the only one in history I might add) is this corrupted from top to the bottom, doesn't it make you somewhat leery of systematic corruptions in other cities? Is this still a case of a few bad apples?
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject:

Gee, might there be systematic corruption in New Orleans Police Dept?

Louisiana and New Mexico have long established and well earned reputation for corruption. Dates back to French and Spanish colonial corruption.
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject:

Even last year, a New Mexico mayor was found guilty of conspiring with Mexican gun smugglers. http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2015601426_apusbordermayorgunsmuggling.html

New Mexico and Arizona are prime targets for Coyotes and drug dealers. Unlike Texas and California, they aren't as populated.
OmegaPirate
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject:

In addition to a paid vacation, police get a $500 bonus from the Albuquerque police union after they murder a mundane.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/us/payments-to-albuquerque-officers-involved-in-shootings-called-bounty-system.html

James Boyd was murdered for the terrible crime of camping on the King's Land without leave.

Did you hear the brave officer say "BooYah!" after shooting this man to death? (1:04 in the video)
Then they use "non-lethal" bean bags on the man after killing him. Why? So that the police chief could justify the murder by saying "all the less than lethal devices were in fact deployed." How stupid does he think we are?

BooYah? We have become their sport.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: DOJ finds systematic corruption in Albuquerque Police Department

dvdrdiscs wrote:
http://krqe.com/2014/04/10/community-reacts-to-dojs-findings-on-apd/

Just saying. If one entire police force (not the only one in history I might add) is this corrupted from top to the bottom, doesn't it make you somewhat leery of systematic corruptions in other cities? Is this still a case of a few bad apples?

I think you have to be wary of systematic corruption in ANY government entity.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject:

Wait, DJO is playing in the Albuquerque PD and the Lakers didn't at least give him a 10-day contract after Nash called it a season?

Freaking Jim Buss.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: DOJ finds systematic corruption in Albuquerque Police Department

dvdrdiscs wrote:

Huh? The DOJ didn't find "corruption," as we normally use that term. They found excess use of force. That is not a good thing (duh), but it's not corruption in the sense of New Orleans and the like.

Quote:
“We found that the Albuquerque Police Department engages in a pattern or practice of violating residents fourth amendment rights by using excessive force during police encounters,” Jocelyn Samuels with DOJ said.

Shootings were a big part of the equation.

The DOJ found a majority of APD’s 20 deadly shootings between 2009 and 2012 unconstitutional, saying cops often shot suspects who posed no threat to officers or anyone else but themselves.

And it’s not just shootings.

The DOJ randomly reviewed 200 use of force cases involving APD and found unreasonable force was used in a third of them.

APD only found problems in less than one-percent of the cases. .

“Improper force incidents were not properly investigated, documented, or addressed with corrective measures,” Samuels said.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: DOJ finds systematic corruption in Albuquerque Police Department

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:

Huh? The DOJ didn't find "corruption," as we normally use that term. They found excess use of force. That is not a good thing (duh), but it's not corruption in the sense of New Orleans and the like.

Quote:
“We found that the Albuquerque Police Department engages in a pattern or practice of violating residents fourth amendment rights by using excessive force during police encounters,” Jocelyn Samuels with DOJ said.

Shootings were a big part of the equation.

The DOJ found a majority of APD’s 20 deadly shootings between 2009 and 2012 unconstitutional, saying cops often shot suspects who posed no threat to officers or anyone else but themselves.

And it’s not just shootings.

The DOJ randomly reviewed 200 use of force cases involving APD and found unreasonable force was used in a third of them.

APD only found problems in less than one-percent of the cases. .

“Improper force incidents were not properly investigated, documented, or addressed with corrective measures,” Samuels said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/10/albuquerque-police_n_5126873.html

Quote:
Federal investigators found the majority of those Albuquerque shootings were unreasonable and violated constitutional rights.

Quote:
"We have determined that structural and systemic deficiencies — including insufficient oversight, inadequate training, and ineffective policies — contribute to the use of unreasonable force."

Quote:
Samuels said the investigation was thorough and that it became clear the problems within the police department were systemic.

I read in another article that the mayor even knew and were complacent about the police department's wrong doings. When the problem is systematic and neglected from the top down, I don't think it's a stretch to call them corrupted.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject:

Maybe Hank should get his crap together. If he didn't let his own brother in law become a drug king pin.. maybe this wouldn't have happened.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: DOJ finds systematic corruption in Albuquerque Police Department

dvdrdiscs wrote:
I read in another article that the mayor even knew and were complacent about the police department's wrong doings. When the problem is systematic and neglected from the top down, I don't think it's a stretch to call them corrupted.

Again, that's not what we mean by "corruption." There is no evidence of bribes or extortion. There is no evidence that the excessive force was paid for by Mexican cartels. This isn't New Orleans.

The government has found "complacency" when it comes to excessive use of force by police departments all around the country. That does not mean that all of those police forces are "corrupt." You may recall that, for a number of years, the LAPD operated under DOJ oversight. That wasn't a "corruption" scandal.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
In addition to a paid vacation, police get a $500 bonus from the Albuquerque police union after they murder a mundane.

That's really sick.
OmegaPirate
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
Quote:

That's really sick.

Definitely.

Here's another sick story from yesterday:
"EXTON, PA — Police followed an innocent man into his home, believing that he was a fleeing suspect. When the man protested being handcuffed on his own floor with strangers searched his home, an officer cussed at him and stomped on his head, causing multiple facial fractures and shattered teeth. The scene was so gruesome that a cop testified against a fellow cop. Yet instead of being fired, that stomping officer was later promoted, and now has been officially cleared of violating the victim’s civil rights."
http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/zachary-bare/

Dude was already handcuffed when they stomped on his head. Cops should be more careful. Some people are not so forgiving and would not be satisfied with a settlement of funds stolen from other citizens.

The problem is not just corrupt, psychopathic cops and craven prosecutors. The indoctrinated masses that make up the juries are just as big of a problem. A family member of police or just an ordinary shivering bootlicker is all that's needed even in the rare instance that one of these tyrants are prosecuted. Boobus makes all this possible.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject:

^^^^^

So you believe this story because it is reported on PoliceStateUSA.com? And it doesn't concern you that the civil rights allegations have been tried to a jury, which found in favor of the trooper?

I don't know anything about the underlying facts, but people are way too fast to believe stuff off the internet. (Bon jour!) As I have pointed out in a number of these threads, the "facts" from the "news reports" usually come from lawsuits filed by the "victims," who are trying to make a score in a civil suit.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: DOJ finds systematic corruption in Albuquerque Police Department

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:

Again, that's not what we mean by "corruption." There is no evidence of bribes or extortion. There is no evidence that the excessive force was paid for by Mexican cartels. This isn't New Orleans.

The government has found "complacency" when it comes to excessive use of force by police departments all around the country. That does not mean that all of those police forces are "corrupt." You may recall that, for a number of years, the LAPD operated under DOJ oversight. That wasn't a "corruption" scandal.

AH you should've defined the word first.

Quote:
PUBLIC CORRUPTION

Public corruption involves a breach of public trust and/or abuse of position by federal, state, or local officials and their private sector accomplices. By broad definition, a government official, whether elected, appointed or hired, may violate federal law when he/she asks, demands, solicits, accepts, or agrees to receive anything of value in return for being influenced in the performance of their official duties.

Quote:
What is CORRUPTION?

Illegality; a vicious and fraudulent intention to evade the prohibitions of the law. The act of an official or fiduciary person who unlawfully and wrongfully uses his station or character to procure some benefit for himself or for another person, contrary to duty and the rights of others. U. S. v. Johnson (C. C.) 20 Fed. 082; State v. Ragsdale. 59 Mo. App. 003; Wight v. Rindskopf, 43 Wis. 351; Worsham v. Murchison, 00 Ga. 719; U. S. v. Edwards (C. C.) 43 Fed. 07.

the bolded on this one is a bit sketchy if applied to the OP's article. i mean you dont have to evade anything when all those at the top side with your illegal ways.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^^

So you believe this story because it is reported on PoliceStateUSA.com? And it doesn't concern you that the civil rights allegations have been tried to a jury, which found in favor of the trooper?

I don't know anything about the underlying facts, but people are way too fast to believe stuff off the internet. (Bon jour!) As I have pointed out in a number of these threads, the "facts" from the "news reports" usually come from lawsuits filed by the "victims," who are trying to make a score in a civil suit.
question did a copy actually testify against the other cop? if thats a lie then so be it. or if the article bends the truth and the other cop didnt really testify against the guy then thats different as well. but if you have a situation where one cop actually testifies against another in a case like this. i would start to believe its actually true. just because a jury lets a cop off the hook doesnt mean the cop wasnt shady/wrong/doing something illegal. most jurors polled will say they think men in uniform are trustworthy. well most white jurors.
OmegaPirate
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^^

You can do better than that. A tedious semantic argument about what constitutes "corruption" followed by a lazy ad hominem? Come on.

Is there any dispute that:
Officer Cruz entered the domicile of Zachary Bare without a warrant?
Zachary Bare had committed no crime?
Zachary Bare was handcuffed behind his back?
Officer Cruz stomped on a handcuffed Zachary Bare causing serious injury?

None of those facts are disputed by anyone. The linked story is then irrelevant. Does "PoliceStateUSA.com" have an agenda? Yes. So does the NY times that I posted a link from earlier. So do I.

My agenda is nothing less than freedom. Freedom from servants (often called "authorities") who continue to brutalize their bosses and get away with it due to an ignorant and frightened populace.

I had the misfortune of watching the local news for a few minutes the other night. The vapid teleprompter reader used the word "authorities" at least four times in that short segment.
She may as well been talking about the Easter Bunny.
There are no authorities.
Ask most small children about Santa and they will certainly think that Santa is real. It has been presented to them their entire lives that Santa is real.
Authorities, like Santa and the Easter Bunny, do not exist.

People should grow up and realize that there are no authorities, there is no benevolent ruling class that has been given the privilege to brutalize, violate and kill people and get away with it. They are the criminals.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: DOJ finds systematic corruption in Albuquerque Police Department

postandpivot wrote:
AH you should've defined the word first.

It's ironic that you would try to get lawyerly with me, but in fact the legal definitions of corruption wouldn't cover anything that the Albuquerque PD is accused of. So you did a lot of work for nothing.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
question did a copy actually testify against the other cop? if thats a lie then so be it. or if the article bends the truth and the other cop didnt really testify against the guy then thats different as well. but if you have a situation where one cop actually testifies against another in a case like this. i would start to believe its actually true. just because a jury lets a cop off the hook doesnt mean the cop wasnt shady/wrong/doing something illegal. most jurors polled will say they think men in uniform are trustworthy. well most white jurors.

If we believe PoliceStateUSA, then one cop did testify against another cop. I have no particular reason to doubt that, aside from the fact that I doubt anything from blogs and political web sites, whether liberal or conservative. This is why the fact checker web sites do such a booming business -- people like you read this stuff and believe it because you want it to be true. I have more faith in the courts and the jury system than I do in PoliceStateUSA.

Come on, man. You read a story on PoliceStateUSA, and you've already imagined that the reason why the cop was acquitted is that the jury must have been white. You're like an addict being offered a fix by some stranger in a bar -- you don't ask questions. The irony is that your polar opposites -- the far right conservative wing nuts with their thinly veiled racism -- are also notorious suckers for stuff like this.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject:

OmegaPirate wrote:
You can do better than that. A tedious semantic argument about what constitutes "corruption" followed by a lazy ad hominem? Come on.

Whatever.

OmegaPirate wrote:
Is there any dispute that:
Officer Cruz entered the domicile of Zachary Bare without a warrant?
Zachary Bare had committed no crime?
Zachary Bare was handcuffed behind his back?
Officer Cruz stomped on a handcuffed Zachary Bare causing serious injury?

Yes. In fact, the plaintiff lost in court. The plaintiff scored big in PoliceStateUSA, though, and you believed every last bit of it even though you really have no idea what happened. Bon jour!

OmegaPirate wrote:
My agenda is nothing less than freedom. Freedom from servants (often called "authorities") who continue to brutalize their bosses and get away with it due to an ignorant and frightened populace.

Well, uh, good luck with your agenda, dude.
ArmchairGM
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^^

I wouldn't believe it before but if you don't think this stuff is happening all the time you are either naive or somehow related/are a police officer yourself. Oscar Grant and Kelly Thomas say hello. And you are right they aren't "corrupt" just a bunch of trigger-happy sadists who are free to do whatever they want. Guess thats what happens when you hire cops without college degrees...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
Maybe Hank should get his crap together. If he didn't let his own brother in law become a drug king pin.. maybe this wouldn't have happened.

Not to mention they let some guy who sells Fried Chicken move meth under their nose...
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject:

ArmchairGM wrote:

I wouldn't believe it before but if you don't think this stuff is happening all the time you are either naive or somehow related/are a police officer yourself. Oscar Grant and Kelly Thomas say hello. And you are right they aren't "corrupt" just a bunch of trigger-happy sadists who are free to do whatever they want. Guess thats what happens when you hire cops without college degrees...

Or a police union attorney.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject:

ArmchairGM wrote:

Of course it happens. Whether it happens "all the time" is another matter. Anyway, what gets me is how fast people are to believe anything they read on the internet. This is true across the board. A lot of these stories (but certainly not all of them) are fiction created by people trying to get money through lawsuits.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: