KIDS REACT TO WALKMANS (Portable Cassette Players)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who Takes The Blame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: KIDS REACT TO WALKMANS (Portable Cassette Players)

I was born in the early 90's and i kinda feel old when i see these kids mot knowing what they are. S*** i walked around with a CD player in my pocket and had to make sure it wouldn't fall out my pocket
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject:

Some walkmans didn't have a fast forward button so, you had to flip the tape, rewind that side, and flip it back over to check. I loved my walkman. I had about 3 tapes worth of songs I recorded off Power 106.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
Some walkmans didn't have a fast forward button so, you had to flip the tape, rewind that side, and flip it back over to check. I loved my walkman. I had about 3 tapes worth of songs I recorded off Power 106.

I use to take my grandmas church cassettes and cover the little notches with tape (or toilet paper when no tape was available) and Id record over her music.

And I remember pressing the play and pause button together to start recording. Then youd sit there listening the song on the radio, waiting to hit the stop button right before the host came on. If you missed it, or the host started blabbing right before the song ended, youd wait again for the next replay.

beautiful times.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

I use to take my grandmas church cassettes and cover the little notches with tape (or toilet paper when no tape was available) and Id record over her music.

And I remember pressing the play and pause button together to start recording. Then youd sit there listening the song on the radio, waiting to hit the stop button right before the host came on. If you missed it, or the host started blabbing right before the song ended, youd wait again for the next replay.

beautiful times.

I did the same thing! Kids learned patience back then!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject:

The Sony Walkman were the higher end cassette players...the first one I got was some crappy brand like Philco from Thrifty that didn't even have a AM/FM tuner...
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject:

I remember mine wouldn't close anymore, so I had to keep it closed with a rubber band and not make any sudden movements
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
The Sony Walkman were the higher end cassette players...the first one I got was some crappy brand like Philco from Thrifty that didn't even have a AM/FM tuner...
exactly. sony was top level.

i still remember the "bass boost" from the 90's. its funny how beats by dre has fooled people into getting that logo on laptops, etc just so they can get the 90's bass boost. thats all you're getting. nothing more. lol.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject:

triple post.

Last edited by shnxx on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject:

double post.

Last edited by shnxx on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject:

ah i remember the sony walkmans.
the first one i had was a casette one with a fancy remote.
it was actually quite nice.
then I got this yellow supposedly waterproof one which I'm sure wasn't.

Next were several CD player walkmans which were actually quite nice.
All the kids competed over whose cd player was the newest and I think they cost around 400-500 bucks for the latest and the best from sony.

eventually i got the MD walkman but soon after, I got on to the mp3 bandwagon so that was the end of that.

edit: caltech internet (bleep) sucks.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Ahh, nostalgia. I still remember how stoked I was to finally get a Walkman back in the day. Jeez, I'm spoiled these days.
undefeatedAJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject:

But did anyone here have a portable tv w/ a 2" screen and a 12' antenna? I did
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject:

(bleep) dude, (bleep)...

!...
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject:

undefeatedAJ wrote:
But did anyone here have a portable tv w/ a 2" screen and a 12' antenna? I did

(bleep), those were the (bleep) days. Everyone in line at Magic Mountain tried their best to huddle around this one person who had a Watchman with the Lakers-Pistons gm7 on. (bleep) good times.
Splash1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Sony used to have the market cornered with Walkmans and Discmans before MP3's started gaining steam. We all know how the rest of the story goes.

I used to have the most advanced top of the line Sony Walkman ever. WMX-999 was the model number, I believe. I had a friend get it for me from Japan as it was not available for us unsophisticated Americans. Don't know how much it was in Yen but I paid $300 USD. It was so sleek and slim, made almost entirely of metal barely bigger than the size of the cassettes themselves. AND it was energy efficient. It only used 1 AA battery along with a rechargeable thin-as-a-stick-of-gum Sony proprietary battery. It had a LCD remote attached that would put some of today's wired handsfree cellphone earpieces to shame. It even could skip to the next song or replay. Super fast fast-forward and rewind but slowed when the tape reaches the end to prevent damage. The list of awesomeness goes on. Even by today's standards, the amount of engineering...I have yet to find any of high tech gadgets and gizmos to this day (even from Sony themselves) that equate to the quality of that cassette player. Believe me, my raves about it don't do it justice.

Too bad it got stolen by this low life SOB douchebag. I knew who, just couldn't prove it. If I ever see him again, he has the choice of either my right or left foot up his ass. It wouldn't matter though since he'll be getting both. I think he was a Clippers fan:evil:
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject:

I had a little CD player I used religiously. Don't know if I had a Walkman but I definitely had cassettes for mah boom box.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Splash1 wrote:
Sony used to have the market cornered with Walkmans and Discmans before MP3's started gaining steam. We all know how the rest of the story goes.

I used to have the most advanced top of the line Sony Walkman ever. WMX-999 was the model number, I believe. I had a friend get it for me from Japan as it was not available for us unsophisticated Americans. Don't know how much it was in Yen but I paid $300 USD. It was so sleek and slim, made almost entirely of metal barely bigger than the size of the cassettes themselves. AND it was energy efficient. It only used 1 AA battery along with a rechargeable thin-as-a-stick-of-gum Sony proprietary battery. It had a LCD remote attached that would put some of today's wired handsfree cellphone earpieces to shame. It even could skip to the next song or replay. Super fast fast-forward and rewind but slowed when the tape reaches the end to prevent damage. The list of awesomeness goes on. Even by today's standards, the amount of engineering...I have yet to find any of high tech gadgets and gizmos to this day (even from Sony themselves) that equate to the quality of that cassette player. Believe me, my raves about it don't do it justice.

Too bad it got stolen by this low life SOB douchebag. I knew who, just couldn't prove it. If I ever see him again, he has the choice of either my right or left foot up his ass. It wouldn't matter though since he'll be getting both. I think he was a Clippers fan:evil:

Tell me about it...my friend used to buy the most advanced Sony Walkmans. I remember he was even one of the few guys who bought an MD player back in the day. Now those things were rare, I believe he was the only person to have gone the MD route. Everybody else stayed with CD players and then moved onto Ipods later on.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject:

MD players were very cool actually.

Had the Ipod not come out, MD would have had a bigger share.

The problems, they were expensive. I bought one at circuit city for 250 at a time when cd players were 50 dollars or so.

They also used a proprietary file format and not mp3.

But Sony being proprietary has always been a problem.

Sony didn't highlight market the cds in md format in the US to gain traction either.

Back to the walkman, I had issues with the headphone jack getting touchy and then failing and having to buy a whole new walkman.

Bye.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject:

Good times. I remember rocking my Aiwa walkman during school trips and playing some mixtapes of Metallica, Pearl Jam and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Then the discman came and I could cut an arm off to have one.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Good times. I remember rocking my Aiwa walkman during school trips and playing some mixtapes of Metallica, Pearl Jam and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Then the discman came and I could cut an arm off to have one.

Haven't heard of that company in a while. Guess they went bankrupt once they didn't roll with the new technology. Goes to show you how fast the fortunes of a company can go once they don't embrace the latest technological trends.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
MD players were very cool actually.

Had the Ipod not come out, MD would have had a bigger share.

The problems, they were expensive. I bought one at circuit city for 250 at a time when cd players were 50 dollars or so.

They also used a proprietary file format and not mp3.

But Sony being proprietary has always been a problem.

Sony didn't highlight market the cds in md format in the US to gain traction either.

Back to the walkman, I had issues with the headphone jack getting touchy and then failing and having to buy a whole new walkman.

Bye.

BetaMax, MD, UMD, Magic Gate memory stick... I guess they won one, Blu-Ray.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject:

http://thecraftyexpat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/tumblr_lskqwqLUpW1qce31ho1_500.jpg
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject:

I had those old yellow Sony Walkmans. Those were dope.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
I had those old yellow Sony Walkmans. Those were dope.

Rich guy. I had one of these from the Kool-Aid catalog.

http://www.tabsout.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/koolaid.jpg
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Cassette tapes are probably one of the few medium that have no redeeming quality. I don't see anybody longing for the days of cassettes. Noise, hissing, easily degradable if the tape gets stuck in the player, the list goes on.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: