45 minutes of Wilt Chamberlain's scoring prowess

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dantheman9758
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: 45 minutes of Wilt Chamberlain's scoring prowess

A followup of the scouting video I recently did of Wilt Chamberlain, this time not just being limited to NBA clips that exist, but further including all known FGM captured at every level of competition from High School to Kutchers games, to NCAA to NBA.

I had some old fans tell me my NBA-only version lacked some of his shots he used to take early in his NBA scoring years due to those years being so underrepresented on film, and their description of his shooting abilities matched his NCAA footage so apparently he shot those free throw line extended and right and left block baseline shots over either shoulder early in his NBA career despite no NBA-film of some of those shots being available. In NBA-only footage that I've uncovered we only saw Wilt shooting over one shoulder, and on the right block he doesn't shoot from baseline, and he never attempted face-up jumpers from free throw line extended - but he repeatedly took shots like that in NCAA footage, thus they were part of his repertoire in his early career and were missing in my last video. So this should now be the most complete picture of Wilt's scoring capabilities put together in one place.

By section:

* Physical Tools and Athleticism intro (starts at 0:20)
* Left block scoring (starts at 5:23)
* Right block scoring (starts at 13:00)
* Lobs - Deep catches - Transition (starts at 21:20)
* Two Person Game (starts at 31:14)
* Offensive Rebound scoring (starts at 37:01)
1since71
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject:

As always great video, thanks for the time directory. Wilt never ceases to amaze, he was an incredible all around athlete. I wish he was playing today so the young guys could see him against current NBA talent so that some of those that think he would not be as dominate might have a change in their thinking, they could see for themselves one of the greatest athlete ever, Wilt was not just a basketball player.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Dude was a freak of nature. Ridiculous. I couldn't get 30 points and 22 rebounds in a video game if I tried right now. That was his career averages.
dantheman9758
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject:

Wilt Chamberlain from 2/8/67 - 2/28/67 (10 game stretch)

32.0 ppg on 74.7% from the floor
26.6 rebounds per game
11.6 blocks per game
9.3 assists per game

I don't know of any 10 game stretch more dominant on both ends of the floor than that, that is less than 1 assist shy of a quadruple double average over the course of 10 games on almost 75% shooting with more than 30 points and 25 rebounds
TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the hard work, Dan.

This really helps younger fans appreciate how great Wilt and the other old timers were.

Wilt was a freak.
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject:

TheLakerWay wrote:

This really helps younger fans appreciate how great Wilt and the other old timers were.

Wilt was a freak of nature.

Cleaned up.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject:

Terrific video piece. Thank you.

Wilt was the most unusual player I've ever seen, and I'm in my mid-seventies and a lifelong hooks junkie.

His size required a real recalibration of one's understanding what was physically and athletically possible for a b-ball player. His height, his weight, his arm length, his hand size, his muscularity - they were each a whole different dimension. The outward point of his hip was stunningly high and imposing; he was a load.

The various ways that we could also depict his athleticism are equally numerous: imposing physical strength of all body areas, exceptional balance and agility, superior foot speed both ahead and laterally, and an remarkable gathering ability for getting underway, for jumping from a run or a exploding upwards from a standing position.

His mental approach was not the classic one of the guys we'd classify as top rank win-seekers. He seemed instead obsessed with personal domination rather than team domination, at least most of the time. I suspect that if he'd been put in touch more consistently as a player with some of the better coaching minds of the day (using his days with Hannum and Sharman as examples of what he was capable of doing), he'd have had far greater impact on NBA history in terms of derailing what we came to know as the Boston Celtic dynasty.

There's some recommended reading for hoops fans old and young: John Taylor's book, The Rivalry. The writer uses the timeline and contrasting styles, personalities and lives of Russell and Chamberlain as a story-telling device. He conveys much feel for the social context of the sport, of life and race in American society of the periods, as well as the development of the NBA into the 1970's. Very entertaining.

I feel that Kareem and Russell and Duncan proved that the team approach is the more successful one if one is more coach-able, while the story of the physical gifts and mental approaches of Wilt and Shaq tells us of the limits of the more implacable athletic giants of this game.
TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject:

easybreeze wrote:
TheLakerWay wrote:

Wilt was a freak of nature.

Cleaned up.

Thanks!
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject:

We all know about the 50.4 PPG scoring average for a season

We all know about the 100 points in a game

We all know about the 55 rebounds in a game

Of course all are untouchable records

But then that's not all.... How about these facts:

By averaging more than 48 MPG one year, he average more MPG than their are minutes in a basketball game.

By deciding one year to lead the league in assists and actually doing it Wilt will be the only CENTER in the history of the game to have ever accomplish this.

Fact is, Wilt holds dozens of records that are all virtually unbreakable.... and he accomplished all that he did without ever fouling out of a game during his entire career.... that is flat out total dominance!!!!

How can anyone say he is not the the greatest to play the game?

Which is why I have always been unwavering in my opinion that he is without a doubt the greatest NBA player of all time and I would add is something that is not likely to ever change either.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject:

Great posts, Lakers Rule and 70's Dude.

Thanks.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject:

Probably Wilts last extended interview in 1997 at the age of 61, 2 years before he died: "Wilt Up Close" .... it appears to be just a part of the interview by Chris Myers (cutting into the interview at the beginning of the video and cutting out of it at the end)

MJ is overrated in the opinion of Wilt..... love of the game in many ways has been replaced by love of money.... Wilt says he feels he played in the "golden age" when love of the game was predominant....

Wilt said that his first 7 years were about scoring his last 7 years were about doing other things.... Wilt said if he had concentrated on scoring his entire career his lifetime average would have been around 40 PPG instead of his career average of 30 PPG.

Wilt said he took pride in his shooting percentage.

He felt is two greatest accomplishments was that he has the four highest season PPG averages and secondly that he was able to average 48.4 MPG for a season.

Chris Myers really got hung up on Wilt's sex life taking up literally a third of the video.... the reference to "20,000 different women", that is.... Wilt says his intentions were misinterpreted and that too much focus was placed on that part of his first book.... Myers just wouldn't let it go however....

Wilt didn't vote for Shaq for "50 greatest of all time" thinking that it was too early in his career to reach that conclusion.... "Shaq gets away with 'murder'" according to Wilt.... that is regarding "fouls".... Also a bizarre comment that the 7-7 George Muresan would score as much as Shaq all things being equal (that is if Shaq didn't get away with all the fouls) and given enough touches....

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
How can anyone say he is not the the greatest to play the game?

Because he wasn't. That's why few people say that he is. Do we really need yet another thread about this?
dantheman9758
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject:

For anyone who's watching, Dwight was off to a hot start early in the night but watching him clank all those jump hooks this game after he gets inside with great position makes it quite obvious why that finger roll Wilt used was so effective-a-finish when he had similar position, the touch on the finger roll is vastly superior to the touch on say, Dwight's jump hook. It rolls off the finger right at rim level with some spin to kill the ball once it touches glass or rim. Where as the jump hook Dwight releases arcs high and has no spin so it is basically a wild ball with a lot of bounce if it touches glass or the rim, so it usually clanks right out. That finger roll is a fantastic finish.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: