Will we ever be what we once were?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
divncom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Will we ever be what we once were?

It seems like there are two prevailing philosophies around here at this point and that time is only widening the gap between them.

The first side are labelled reactionaries. They take the stance that the current management has failed. The underlying sentiment seems to be that they feel we're NOT on track to return to greatness.

The second side is loyal to the team's ownership and play the part of "realists" in many contexts here. They take the position that this is just a "typical" developmental cycle. They also argue it's insubordinate of the previous party to constantly undermine front office decisions. The underlying sentiment seems to be we ARE on a NATURAL progression.

Whether we will ever be what we once were seems to be a legitimate question mark. Would it be illogical for us to imagine us going into a similar spiral as the post-dynasty Celtics?

What arguments or evidence are you relying on to supply yourself hope that we're not going to become historical artifacts? What "advantages" do we have?

Isn't it irrational to ASSUME we're somehow going to replicate the level of success we're used to ... ever? Many/most of the elements that led to that formula are gone/have been controlled for, now.

Is this a natural ebb/tide in our orbit around the sun, or have we gone off track into outer space and realms unknown?

Neutral Conclusion: We're not going to be awful forever, but it's also unlikely that we'll have a run of domination similar to the last few decades for a very, very long time.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Will we ever be what we once were?

divncom wrote:
It seems like there are two prevailing philosophies around here at this point and that time is only widening the gap between them.

The first side are labelled reactionaries. They take the stance that the current management has failed. The underlying sentiment seems to be that they feel we're NOT on track to return to greatness.

The second side is loyal to the team's ownership and play the part of "realists" in many contexts here. They take the position that this is just a "typical" developmental cycle. They also argue it's insubordinate of the previous party to constantly undermine front office decisions. The underlying sentiment seems to be we ARE on a NATURAL progression.

Whether we will ever be what we once were seems to be a legitimate question mark. Would it be illogical for us to imagine us going into a similar spiral as the post-dynasty Celtics?

What arguments or evidence are you relying on to supply yourself hope that we're not going to become historical artifacts? What "advantages" do we have?

Isn't it irrational to ASSUME we're somehow going to replicate the level of success we're used to ... ever? Many/most of the elements that led to that formula are gone/have been controlled for, now.

Is this a natural ebb/tide in our orbit around the sun, or have we gone off track into outer space and realms unknown?

Neutral Conclusion: We're not going to be awful forever, but it's also unlikely that we'll have a run of domination similar to the last few decades for a very, very long time.
another poster asking the same question that BSPN poses everyday. the answer is YES. this aint the first time we had a drought, wont be the last. but we darn sure are not the celtics. the celtics put that great team together recently. how many did they win? ONE. how many did we win? 2. end of discussion.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject:

It's been 4 years since our last title. Today's society is so messed up.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Will we ever be what we once were?

divncom wrote:

You sound like you need a hug.

divncom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject:

It would be interesting to see an actual argument, though, to support the idea we're "supposed" to return to greatness or that it's "God's Will" that we will return there.

The more logical conclusion would be a more measured one, taking the modern landscape and situation into account more realistically (cap space, other factors).

There's no intrinsically sound reason to assume we're going to return to our former level of domination. That's not so much a naive perspective as it is a more objective (non-homer) point of view.

Yes it's only 4 years removed from our previous championship, but the changes since then are profound. Much more profound than say, the gap between the 3-peat and those titles.

I think to assume we're going to return to dominance anytime soon is based on absolutely nothing tangible.
divncom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Will we ever be what we once were?

LuciusAllen wrote:

I appreciate that empathy, but I'm fine personally.

There's nothing wrong with a critical reappraisal of things.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject:

divncom wrote:
It would be interesting to see an actual argument, though, to support the idea we're "supposed" to return to greatness or that it's "God's Will" that we will return there.

The more logical conclusion would be a more measured one, taking the modern landscape and situation into account more realistically (cap space, other factors).

There's no intrinsically sound reason to assume we're going to return to our former level of domination. That's not so much a naive perspective as it is a more objective (non-homer) point of view.

Yes it's only 4 years removed from our previous championship, but the changes since then are profound. Much more profound than say, the gap between the 3-peat and those titles.

I think to assume we're going to return to dominance anytime soon is based on absolutely nothing tangible.
i've presented the argument like .....1000 times in here. no need to do it again.
the reason you keep asking the same question is because you are the fan that believes this is the end. you are afraid. i'm not. end of discussion. i've seen this before. maybe you havent.
TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Cap space+draft pick.

There was a longer gap post Magic than we did since our last championship. It's about accumulating talent and cap space for LA. This isn't Milwaukee or Philly where no one wants to come. This is LA. Players are going to want to play here.
divncom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
i've presented the argument like .....1000 times in here. no need to do it again.

Give me one solid reason that doesn't include your religious faith in a divine outcome.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm "afraid" by the way. I still have my day job and my savings is leveraged well.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject:

No. This team is doomed. The current structure is brand new and will never deliver results. It's not like it has been in place for years and has proven itself. Jim, Jeannie and Mitch are all brand new to this dynamic and there is no reason to have any faith in them.

I suggest that everyone who agrees with me immediately delete their accounts and start following another team.

(BTW, there were some idiots here who actually thought that Chick cursed the team when he died and that they would never win once he was gone)
divncom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject:

TheElectronica wrote:
Cap space+draft pick.

There was a longer gap post Magic than we did since our last championship. It's about accumulating talent and cap space for LA. This isn't Milwaukee or Philly where no one wants to come. This is LA. Players are going to want to play here.

So this is the "best case scenario" argument in which we put faith in the idea that in the BEST of all scenarios, a combination of Kevin Love and a #6 pick in this draft will turn us around ...

The reason we turned around so quickly last time we because we had arguably the best player still in his prime on our team, that's no longer pertinent.

Also, the "We are L.A., people will come" argument is the religious faith argument rehashed.

So I'm not buying either of those scenarios as a long term argument for our next dynasty ... and bear in mind, BOTH of those are BEST case scenarios.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like you already have your "faith", so why bother asking for input?
divncom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
No. This team is doomed. The current structure is brand new and will never deliver results. It's not like it has been in place for years and has proven itself.

No argument made here. This isn't the same structure, and it's also a different era. This is the "we are the Lakers and the reason is BECAUSE" argument, again.

I'm an egalitarian, if anybody poses anything remotely sensible to contradict a dreary outlook I'll acknowledge it.
divncom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Sounds like you already have your "faith", so why bother asking for input?

It's come to a bit of a stress point it seems with different parties taking stances and positions on this, and I'm the furthest thing from a person of faith that you could find.

Lots of people getting very harsh with other fans, telling them to "get lost" or quit the team because their views aren't welcome.

I'd just like to see a logical argument for the belief we're ever going to be as dominant as we once were. I don't see "because we're the Lakers" as an argument either way.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject:

The thing that differentiates the Lakers from other franchises is that people want to play here for multiple reasons.

History
Character
The huge fan base

Other teams may have one, or maybe even a couple of those; but no other team has the complete package like we do.

Half of the players out there grew up imagining that they were on the Lakers. To be the face of this franchise is the epitome of the sport.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject:

never know what superstar could run off and sign here, or be traded here or be drafted here, i have faith that the lakers will be back to there winning ways soon enough.
divncom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
never know what superstar could run off and sign here, or be traded here or be drafted here, i have faith that the lakers will be back to there winning ways soon enough.

*Shrug*.

Faith is fine ...

Unfortunately the Clippers who are an historically inferior team seem to have also been able to leverage that "geographic" advantage, so it's nothing exclusive to us anymore, and neither is being in a big market (see New York, Chicago).

We'll get quite a bit better than we are now, but I don't see us getting back to the point we were the past several decades sans some variable I'm missing. Larry Coon addressed a lot of this in his article.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Of course.

But it may take a loooong time.
divncom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
The thing that differentiates the Lakers from other franchises is that people want to play here for multiple reasons.

History
Character
The huge fan base

Other teams may have one, or maybe even a couple of those; but no other team has the complete package like we do.

Half of the players out there grew up imagining that they were on the Lakers. To be the face of this franchise is the epitome of the sport.

Also, Reflexx, I do agree with this idea, and I think that it's this reason first and foremost that Kobe was given everything he wanted and more with this final contract. No other reason than to be able to point to him as a legacy player to make light of it for future youngsters in the same way Kobe did with Magic.

In that sense, the contract was a bargain. Imagine Magic ending his career with the Bucks, lol.

Edit: I forgot to add, though, that beyond this idea of "magical lore" that's constantly being referenced, the reality is we live in an era dictated by money and the salary cap. Players will coo and sport Laker jersey's all they want prior to draft/signing day, but when they put their big boy pants on it's only about money now, and we can't do what the Dodgers have done strategy wise.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject:

I agree that we may never achieve the levels of dominance we've had in the past. But I think that will be more due to the CBA than faults in ownership.
divncom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
I agree that we may never achieve the levels of dominance we've had in the past. But I think that will be more due to the CBA than faults in ownership.

That's the only sort of sensible conclusion I can see us drawing at this point. Anything else is based on mysticism.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject:

OK I'll say my 2 cents worth - It's not a 'religion' to say players want to play in LA. I'm not from LA, never lived there, but there's no question the Lakers are the premier franchise in the minds of most fans here in Portland, around the rest of the country, and internationally, and the premier franchise as well for many players who grew up idolizing Kobe, as evidenced by how many potential draft picks say they'd like to be a Laker. There IS a lot more draw to be a Laker than there is to be a Buck, Timberwolve, or Blazer for that matter, and that means, Dwight excluded, that on 50/50 decisions players are going to lean towards LA.

LA has a huge TV market and a huge following here and around the world. Some players want a big stage, and there is none bigger outside of maybe MSG.

Of course there's no predicting the future, but I find it pretty ludicrous to say that the things that made the Lakers great are all in the past and gone. Bullcrap on that. Mitch Kupchak provides continuity, and for that matter few if any people here have any idea how the Lakers actually make decisions, in spite of the army of posters who act and talk as if they have it all figured out. It's possible Jim Buss is reclusive for a reason. His dad prepped him to have a thick skin and he stays out of the limelight. For all we know, the Buss kids are trying to replicate the process Doc had in place with Mitch.

There's a lot of logic to the idea the Buss kids would want to replicate the process to the best of their abilities. That family doesn't own a bank or oil company. The Lakers are all they have. It would only be logical for them to want to do all they can to keep that franchise valuable. That means putting a good product on the floor, and thinking long term, and having a desire to do so just like Doc did because it worked. There's a lot more logic to that argument then there is to the 'religion' that Jimbo flaunts an ego and overrides Mitch all the time, a mantra endlessly repeated by people who never met the guy.

As for the current mess that's on the floor, this is a result of relying on an old core for way too long hoping to squeeze one last title out of the dynasty before blowing it up and starting on a new one. The Lakers salary cap situation is going to look very good in the next couple years, and there is no logical reason to assume the Lakers won't effectively use that cap. Mitch has a good, proven track record and he's just renewed with the Lakers.

Beyond this, nobody knows the future. It could be decades of mediocrity, or we could have another Showtime era starting in a couple years. We just don't know, but where's the logic in being a Laker fan at all if one chooses to believe the worst is ahead of us? Wouldn't it be more logical to sign off, get outside, and do something else if that's what you believe?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject:

No, because of the new CBA and the passing of our most successful owner. Our future is uncertain. That being said the Lakers will be a destination because of its market and also its place in the NBA. There are tons of small market teams and teams with a lot more mediocrity that would kill for the Lakers position and marketplace.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject:

divncom wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:

*Shrug*.

Faith is fine ...

Unfortunately the Clippers who are an historically inferior team seem to have also been able to leverage that "geographic" advantage, so it's nothing exclusive to us anymore, and neither is being in a big market (see New York, Chicago).

We'll get quite a bit better than we are now, but I don't see us getting back to the point we were the past several decades sans some variable I'm missing. Larry Coon addressed a lot of this in his article.

The Clippers have been able to overturn their loser culture incrementally...that being said, the team has appealed more to out of towners than long time Angelenos...despite their past couple of winning seasons, this town is still a Laker town, you can tell by how ambivalent most of the native residents have been toward the Clippers success compared to how the Lakers are faring.
divncom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
OK I'll say my 2 cents worth - It's not a 'religion' to say players want to play in LA. I'm not from LA, never lived there, but there's no question the Lakers are the premier franchise in the minds of most fans here in Portland, around the rest of the country, and internationally, and the premier franchise as well for many players who grew up idolizing Kobe, as evidenced by how many potential draft picks say they'd like to be a Laker. There IS a lot more draw to be a Laker than there is to be a Buck, Timberwolve, or Blazer for that matter, and that means, Dwight excluded, that on 50/50 decisions players are going to lean towards LA.

LA has a huge TV market and a huge following here and around the world. Some players want a big stage, and there is none bigger outside of maybe MSG.

Of course there's no predicting the future, but I find it pretty ludicrous to say that the things that made the Lakers great are all in the past and gone. Bullcrap on that. Mitch Kupchak provides continuity, and for that matter few if any people here have any idea how the Lakers actually make decisions, in spite of the army of posters who act and talk as if they have it all figured out. It's possible Jim Buss is reclusive for a reason. His dad prepped him to have a thick skin and he stays out of the limelight. For all we know, the Buss kids are trying to replicate the process Doc had in place with Mitch.

There's a lot of logic to the idea the Buss kids would want to replicate the process to the best of their abilities. That family doesn't own a bank or oil company. The Lakers are all they have. It would only be logical for them to want to do all they can to keep that franchise valuable. That means putting a good product on the floor, and thinking long term, and having a desire to do so just like Doc did because it worked. There's a lot more logic to that argument then there is to the 'religion' that Jimbo flaunts an ego and overrides Mitch all the time, a mantra endlessly repeated by people who never met the guy.

As for the current mess that's on the floor, this is a result of relying on an old core for way too long hoping to squeeze one last title out of the dynasty before blowing it up and starting on a new one. The Lakers salary cap situation is going to look very good in the next couple years, and there is no logical reason to assume the Lakers won't effectively use that cap. Mitch has a good, proven track record and he's just renewed with the Lakers.

Beyond this, nobody knows the future. It could be decades of mediocrity, or we could have another Showtime era starting in a couple years. We just don't know, but where's the logic in being a Laker fan at all if one chooses to believe the worst is ahead of us? Wouldn't it be more logical to sign off, get outside, and do something else if that's what you believe?

You make a few good points.

1. RE. The Buss family being solely invested in the Lakers. There are probably some flaws to this argument as I'm not entirely familiar with their stock and real estate portfolios ... however, all things considered you would assume they would be highly motivated, even more so than the typical business interests, in preserving enduring success. That's shaky, though. It's just wrong to assume Jim is even a shadow of his father ... I think that's the primary reason he stays hidden. If the stockholders find out the CEO is a child, all hell breaks lose and the stock plummets, ala The Hudsucker Proxy (sort of).

2. Domestic/International Allure: I have lived overseas for a long time now and across the U.S. Over here in Australia, things seem split somewhat. I'm not sure what the official numbers in terms of jersey sales are, but my anecdotal experience influences me to believe it's much more of a "what lately" type deal outside L.A. I see lots of Kobe jersey's (relatively) still, but I see them being phased out by the Durant's, Curry's, Lillard's (etc.) I think this lends even more objective credence to the parity idea. I think the NBA legitimately believes it's in its best interests to promote parity and will continue to do so. Lots of these people could never point out OKC or Portland on a map but they're wearing Blazer/OKC jersey's. The allure isn't what it was.

3. The huge T.V. market is another thing that you would assume will fluctuate with the team's overall fortunes ... which are far from certain in a dramatically changed landscape. The Lakers won't be scheduled for as many embarrassing nationally televised games this year as last year and every continuous year beyond that of mediocrity will push all of the preceding "legacy" arguments further into archaeology.

4. Overall the most tangible argument you've made is Mitch being a "glue" figure ... that's a lot to ask of any GM. He hasn't had the most fluid relationship in terms of overall sensibilities as Jim has had, either - they've differed a lot, and Jim has final say.

I'm looking for to find out more, with my question, whether people genuinely see us continuing our level of previous dominance into the future - not so much whether we'll "ever be good" again. It's not about hyperbole for me.

Finally, I didn't get to decide whether or whether or not to be a Lakers fan, I was basically born into it going to games from infancy onward, meeting players in my youth, etc. Doesn't go much further than that, lol. If they're awful for the next 50 years that's just too bad for me, I'll still be a Laker fan.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: