What do we Do with Pau Gasol?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Let him walk (thanks for the good times)
52%
 52%  [ 36 ]
Do you try to workout a deal before you go fishing for other FA's
25%
 25%  [ 17 ]
Do you fish for other FA's first, then pray you have enough to resign Pau/hope no other team has scooped him up
22%
 22%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 68

postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: What do we Do with Pau Gasol?

Let him walk (thanks for the good times)

Do you try to workout a deal before you go fishing for other FA's? the one problem with this is you run the risk of over paying for pau then having less money to get a FA or two.

or

Do you fish for other FA's first, then pray you have enough to resign Pau/hope no other team has scooped him u?

as stated in the question you mess around and wait to sign him while you're out there chasing other FA's and you run the risk of some other team grabbing him.

decisions...decisions.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject:

I would see what he wants to do, and if he wants to go elsewhere, try to facilitate a trade to get him there.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject:

1. work out a good S&T for him.

2. if we can't get any desirable free agents, sign him to a placeholder contract.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject:

If OKC doesn't win, would they be interested in him? We can swallow Perkins and ask for some young guys or picks. Maybe even Reggie Jackson.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject:

If, the Lakers don't find a suitable trade in a S&T, I wouldn't mind getting Amare from NY.... I think the Knicks are gonna really be aggressive in pursuing Pau this summer they might give up one of there young talents like Tim Hardaway Jr or Shumpert.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
If, the Lakers don't find a suitable trade in a S&T, I wouldn't mind getting Amare from NY.... I think the Knicks are gonna really be aggressive in pursuing Pau this summer they might give up one of there young talents like Tim Hardaway Jr or Shumpert.

I think Amare's K is $20m. Pau's contract is likely $8-10m? Squeeze in all our cap space? That seems unecessary.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject:

It's gonna be real hard finding value for Pau, he has all the leverage when he becomes a FA, I think he's gonna walk and the Lakers will add a good big-man in FA or trade him to NY.
datniggbstyle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers need to resign Pau Gasol if they are serious about contending. Mitch needs to structure the contact in a way that gets Pau his worth, but also gives the Lakers flexibility in the future.

Ultimately Mitch's job this summer is deciding if (Meeks, Young and Farmar) are better than one player (Lowry, Stephenson, etc) making $10-14 Million over the course of the next 3-4 Years. We should definitely be able to squeeze them in at that range if that is indeed the plan.

Question is does a core of Kobe, Pau, Meeks, Young, Farmar and the Lottery Pick compete next year. Probably not. But once 2015 comes around and you add Love to the mix. You probably have something nice.
AncientMariner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers don't have time to let him decide.

12 midnight on F/A opening means he counts for ~$24 million against the cap UNTIL we trade, resign or renounce him.

If the Lakers wait on Pau, they will miss out on the start of F/A (can't offer money until Pau contract is sorted out because him and Kobe alone= 50 Million) and I don't see them sitting around while Pau gets counter offers. I like Pau, but at this point he isn't worth missing out on other negotiations.

They will offer him what they think is a fair contract at 12:01 and if he rejects it or they don't get something done in a matter or hours, he will be renounced. The Lakers cannot and will not be held hostage by him.
philipm35
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject:

If that is true then they need to fire MDA immediately, depending on what their strategy is for FA this year.

Shelburne says there are some FAs that the FO may be interested in signing that would like playing for MDA but the reality is that Kobe no longer wants to play for him, Nash is WAY past his prime and Pau hates him.

So if you want to keep Kobe happy, at a minimum, then MDA has to go, and soon, because we don't want FAs wondering who the coach is going to be if they want to come to LAL.

The decisions on Pau and MDA are mutually exclusive of one another, but I think that they both need to be made fairly quickly, so everyone can move on as quickly as possible.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject:

1. See what he wants to do

If he wants to go, hope he wants to go to a team that needs a sign and trade to get something back.

If he wants to stay, overpay him so he'll sign a one year deal. We don't need to sign any multi year deals until we sign some superstars.
AncientMariner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject:

philipm35 wrote:
If that is true then they need to fire MDA immediately, depending on what their strategy is for FA this year.

Shelburne says there are some FAs that the FO may be interested in signing that would like playing for MDA but the reality is that Kobe no longer wants to play for him, Nash is WAY past his prime and Pau hates him.

So if you want to keep Kobe happy, at a minimum, then MDA has to go, and soon, because we don't want FAs wondering who the coach is going to be if they want to come to LAL.

The decisions on Pau and MDA are mutually exclusive of one another, but I think that they both need to be made fairly quickly, so everyone can move on as quickly as possible.

I can assure you it's true and that's how Bird rights work. Pau is not like Nick Young (opting out, no Bird Rights) or Jodie Meeks (no Bird Rights hasn't been in LA long enough) whose money and contracts come off the books once the season is over. Pau has a 125% (of 19 Mil) hold on the cap until resigned, renounced or signed and traded. The obvious flip side benefits of Bird Rights are allowing teams to keep their own marquee players by offering more money and years. You can bet that was one of many reasons the Buss Fam resigned Kobe that early to a "cheaper" price. They didn't want him to play the F/A game this summer and waste time while his enormous contract was on hold against the cap.

Totally agree with your thoughts on MDA as well and I hope it happens before the draft. Decisions this off-season need to be made swift and fast. The Lakers can't go into the summer with those kind of question marks.
Sccit
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject:

last option sounds like the most reasonable..

he isnt a priority, but would definitely be nice to keep him (on the low)
AncientMariner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Sccit wrote:
last option sounds like the most reasonable..

he isnt a priority, but would definitely be nice to keep him (on the low)

What F/A are you going to fish for? There will be no money until you do something with Pau and his 24 million dollar hold. The last option is not a real option. You can't offer for instance Eric Bledsoe or Lance Stephensen anything more than the MLE.

Kobe 26 Mil
Pau 24 Mil hold
Others (Kelly, Bazemore, Nash) - 12+ mil

My math says the Lakers have to move fast. Lightning fast.
Sccit
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject:

maybe we can sign some1 like deng for the mle and then proceed to signing pau for cheap? i havent looked into the exact stipulations, but that should be a possibility, am i wrong?

or if we can get a melo level talent and we cant hold onto pau, then let him go....love is comin sooner or later anyway
AncientMariner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Sccit wrote:
maybe we can sign some1 like deng for the mle and then proceed to signing pau for cheap? i havent looked into the exact stipulations, but that should be a possibility, am i wrong?

or if we can get a melo level talent and we cant hold onto pau, then let him go....love is comin sooner or later anyway

Deng would never sign for the MLE. You offer him the MLE he'll stop negotiations with your team for being insulted. You won't know if you can get a "melo-level" talent because you cannot offer money that you don't have to offer. You don't do negotiations by saying "please come after we resign Pau, we promise we'll have the money!"

The Lakers SHOULD renounce him and hope he doesn't get too butthurt about it. If he does, so be it you get 24 mil to spend. If he agrees it would be a great tactical move for future championships (which it would be) then he would play along, but I think him being a F/A for the first time ever, he will go and shop around. Lakers don't have time for that.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Let's follow the Jerry Buss dogma of letting guys go a year early rather than a year late.

Thanks Pau & enjoy your twilight years in Miami/ NY/ Memphis/Charlotte or Phoenix

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Unless we get a Defensive center who can protect the paint, let Pau walk.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject:

The thing with that (and I completely agree btw) is Pau Gasol wants to play at center. So, offensively, whoever this rim-protecting center is would need to have a little bit of range to provide *some* spacing. Not necessarily 3 point shooting range.. but at least a consistent mid-range shot.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Sign and trade. Match the salary up with the assets you want to get back.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
Charlotte, next year, will have close to 20 million in cap space to just sign him outright if they need to. No need to give up any assets.

All Chicago would have to do is amnesty Carlos Boozer and they could sign Pau Gasol without giving up anything.

The Knicks have absolutely no draft picks and I can't imagine the Lakers trading for either Amare or Tyson Chandler given how much they're paid.

All solid, solid ideas.. but I just don't see why Charlotte and Chicago would sign-and-trade when they can just sign them unless they were desperate to get rid of whatever players..

Didn't know Boozer could be amnestied. Good call. Same with Charlotte.

I think if we do a sign and trade with New York it will involve Bargnani, Hardaway, and shumpert. That's 16 mill in salary. Pau will command 8-12. I think a sign and trade would be do-able.
LALdynasty!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject:

I wish I could say sign him for cheap <6mil, but looks like he's leaving.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject:

I think Pau would love the chance to play with his brother in Memphis.

How about this sign and trade?

Memphis gets Gasol and Jack

Cleveland gets Randolph

We get Thompson and Gee

Thompson and Gee are both expiring contracts which would allow us to sign Love in 2015. Memphis pairs up the Gasol brothers and adds a solid backup PG in Jack. Cleveland upgrades at PF gives Irving more help to make the playoffs.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
Charlotte, next year, will have close to 20 million in cap space to just sign him outright if they need to. No need to give up any assets.

All Chicago would have to do is amnesty Carlos Boozer and they could sign Pau Gasol without giving up anything.

The Knicks have absolutely no draft picks and I can't imagine the Lakers trading for either Amare or Tyson Chandler given how much they're paid.

All solid, solid ideas.. but I just don't see why Charlotte and Chicago would sign-and-trade when they can just sign them unless they were desperate to get rid of whatever players..

Didn't know Boozer could be amnestied. Good call. Same with Charlotte.

I think if we do a sign and trade with New York it will involve Bargnani, Hardaway, and shumpert. That's 16 mill in salary. Pau will command 8-12. I think a sign and trade would be do-able.

If Rudy Gay takes his player option next year. Sacremento will be at cap level. I'd try a sign and trade with them if we could get reggie evans, jason terry, and carl landry. That's 13 mill in payroll. With Landry being the only non-expiring contract.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject:

honestly, i dont want him back. he's no longer half of the post threat that he was. he's barely a post threat anymore - he gets bullied into bad shots down there.

hopefully we can sign and trade him
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: