What do we Do with Pau Gasol?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do we Do with Pau Gasol?
Let him walk (thanks for the good times)
52%
 52%  [ 36 ]
Do you try to workout a deal before you go fishing for other FA's
25%
 25%  [ 17 ]
Do you fish for other FA's first, then pray you have enough to resign Pau/hope no other team has scooped him up
22%
 22%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 68

ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Yeah. All that talk about wanting to be featured in the post more resulted in constantly being easily pushed out of position or simply turning the ball over. People will laugh at this and make me sound like I know nothing about basketball.. but I'm actually more comfortable when Robert Sacre or Jordan Hill has the ball in the post lol
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
Charlotte, next year, will have close to 20 million in cap space to just sign him outright if they need to. No need to give up any assets.

All Chicago would have to do is amnesty Carlos Boozer and they could sign Pau Gasol without giving up anything.

The Knicks have absolutely no draft picks and I can't imagine the Lakers trading for either Amare or Tyson Chandler given how much they're paid.

All solid, solid ideas.. but I just don't see why Charlotte and Chicago would sign-and-trade when they can just sign them unless they were desperate to get rid of whatever players..

Didn't know Boozer could be amnestied. Good call. Same with Charlotte.

I think if we do a sign and trade with New York it will involve Bargnani, Hardaway, and shumpert. That's 16 mill in salary. Pau will command 8-12. I think a sign and trade would be do-able.

If Rudy Gay takes his player option next year. Sacremento will be at cap level. I'd try a sign and trade with them if we could get reggie evans, jason terry, and carl landry. That's 13 mill in payroll. With Landry being the only non-expiring contract.

Also.. I may be very very wrong.. but I thought teams over the salary cap or perhaps its luxury tax (in any case Knicks would be over it lol) couldn't receive players via sign-and-trade.

If so, that would immediately kill any reports (and trust me there will be reports) of Pau Gasol being pursued by the Knicks which are based off of Pau Gasol and Phil Jackson's relationship.

Unless Pau goes for the mini MLE .. I'd say thats a no-go.

Last edited by ch3cky0selff00 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
Charlotte, next year, will have close to 20 million in cap space to just sign him outright if they need to. No need to give up any assets.

All Chicago would have to do is amnesty Carlos Boozer and they could sign Pau Gasol without giving up anything.

The Knicks have absolutely no draft picks and I can't imagine the Lakers trading for either Amare or Tyson Chandler given how much they're paid.

All solid, solid ideas.. but I just don't see why Charlotte and Chicago would sign-and-trade when they can just sign them unless they were desperate to get rid of whatever players..

I think if we do a sign and trade with New York it will involve Bargnani, Hardaway, and shumpert. That's 16 mill in salary. Pau will command 8-12. I think a sign and trade would be do-able.

If Rudy Gay takes his player option next year. Sacremento will be at cap level. I'd try a sign and trade with them if we could get reggie evans, jason terry, and carl landry. That's 13 mill in payroll. With Landry being the only non-expiring contract.

Also.. I may be very very wrong.. but I thought teams over the salary cap or perhaps its luxury tax (in any case Knicks would be over it lol) couldn't receive players via sign-and-trade.

If that's true, nevermind. Let him walk
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
Yeah. All that talk about wanting to be featured in the post more resulted in constantly being easily pushed out of position or simply turning the ball over. People will laugh at this and make me sound like I know nothing about basketball.. but I'm actually more comfortable when Robert Sacre or Jordan Hill has the ball in the post lol

Watching pau "establish" position 20-24 feet from the basket was all too common.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately, people are likely to put that on the coach though.. which I absolutely don't agree with.

Without Kobe Bryant out there giving him the Mario Chalmers treatment.. Pau Gasol, to me, is just way too timid and not aggressive enough. I'm not sure there are any other teams out there other than perhaps Chicago or San Antonio that could have a player or coach that would push Pau Gasol (and, imo he shouldn't have to be "pushed") to go "black swan"
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:

Watching pau "establish" position 20-24 feet from the basket was all too common.

It's so hard judging any of our players this season. Was Pau supposed to establish deep post position but was to weak? Or did the offense want him to post quickly even if it was further from the hoop? I honestly don't know.

Same goes for defense. I don't know what our defensive schemes were. So it's not always obvious who blew the assignment.
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject:

We as fans can't do anything with Pau except wait and see what the FO decides to do. All I can hope for is that Pau finds himself on a team that will support him and hopefully he can get another ring. If not c'est la vie.

Pau Gasol is nice
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
24 wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:

It's so hard judging any of our players this season. Was Pau supposed to establish deep post position but was to weak? Or did the offense want him to post quickly even if it was further from the hoop? I honestly don't know.

Same goes for defense. I don't know what our defensive schemes were. So it's not always obvious who blew the assignment.

the last few seasons, when Pau has had his back to the basket ; he's never moved his defender more than two feet. and then the D has him off balance he cant get a comfortable shot off. 90% of the time this happens.
he's done as a scoring option in the post.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Not to mention this happens even on smaller players who he should be "dominating" if he's as good of a post player as he says he is.

If I had the time, the attention span and the computer know-how, I would totally go back to old games and make a compilation of Pau Gasol's post-touches from every game.

To me, he's basically running on fumes right now. This is coming from a Pau Gasol fan. I love Pau but he's done. He might see a resurrection of sorts playing for a new coach.. but I think it'll be the same old news as the season progresses and the honeymoon period is over.
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject:

Sign and trade.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:

Wait that's not Pau's fault. You need some ball movement and ball reversal to get your bigs deep. If there is no set plays that features Pau down low it's not his fault if he's posting up 20 feets away from the rim lol. Thibodeau would get pau right under the basket.

But watching Pau back down his opposition was really painfull sometimes though.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject:

Gasol should of been traded a couple of years ago when he actually had value. It is now looking like the Lakers will end up getting nothing for Dwight/Bynum and Gasol. Hopefully the Lakers do not compound not trading Gasol by resigning him, that would be a huge mistake. Gasol was a distraction this past season, the last thing the Lakers need is to bring back players that are a potential distraction.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
kikanga wrote:
24 wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:

the last few seasons, when Pau has had his back to the basket ; he's never moved his defender more than two feet. and then the D has him off balance he cant get a comfortable shot off. 90% of the time this happens.
he's done as a scoring option in the post.

nor does he run the floor well enough to establish early position. even shaq wouldn't be able to get deep position (sans offensive fouls) if he was as slow getting up the court as pau.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject:

One thing I have trouble with is there are many LGer's that think Gasol was somehow mistreated by Lakers management. The Lakers paid Gasol almost 20 million dollars per year over the last 3 seasons, if that is being mistreated, then please, mistreat me.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
One thing I have trouble with is there are many LGer's that think Gasol was somehow mistreated by Lakers management. The Lakers paid Gasol almost 20 million dollars per year over the last 3 seasons, if that is being mistreated, then please, mistreat me.

he was mistreated, "thrown under the bus", and psychologically scarred by being asked to set up an extra two feet out from his normal spot to shoot 3's instead of long 2's. oh the horror.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
If OKC doesn't win, would they be interested in him? We can swallow Perkins and ask for some young guys or picks. Maybe even Reggie Jackson.

Oh!! I had never thought of this, but I LOVE the idea. If OKC is under the luxury tax line I believe it is allowed under the new CBA right?

Pau for Reggie & Perkins would still leave us with enough cap space to sign Lance.

Imagine a back court with Lance and Reggie? I like it, plus it would leave us with Nash and Perkins expiring next summer opening room to sign Love.

I love your idea Sir!!!
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject:

there is nothing we can do about Pau Gasol

he is a free agent. only thing we can do is to do a S&T him and maybe get a 2nd rounder in return
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject:

we should have traded him as an expiring contract before the deadline. We are not winning the championship next year so we might as well let him walk and start rebuilding
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

he is a free agent. only thing we can do is to do a S&T him and maybe get a 2nd rounder in return

There is if you consider dmorans1 idea. For OKC, is it worth giving up Reggie Jackson for Gasol? I say it is. Perimeter play is not an issue for OKC. They add Pau's post presence and they will definitely be better. They can sign, with the MLE, or draft another PG.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:

It would have to be mMLE for Gasol to go to the Knicks, they will still be at almost $90 mil and couldn't receive a player in a S&T due to being over the lux tax apron.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

There is if you consider dmorans1 idea. For OKC, is it worth giving up Reggie Jackson for Gasol? I say it is. Perimeter play is not an issue for OKC. They add Pau's post presence and they will definitely be better. They can sign, with the MLE, or draft another PG.

I don't think they would trade Jackson. I would ask for Lamb and Perkins and be happy with Perkins and their #1 pick this season. They can give Gasol $8-10 mil and stay away from the luxury tax.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:

If that's true, nevermind. Let him walk

Teams cannot end up over the luxury tax apron (4 mil above the luxury tax) and receive a player in S&T.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject:

I think I'm confused on how we can re-sign Pau under the most recent CBA rules.

Under the old system, we could sign other FAs with our remaining cap space, and THEN sign Pau to whatever we can reach an agreement with him on via his Bird Rights, even if we were over the cap at the time of re-signing him.

Would anyone explain how it works now? Thanks.

MIM
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
Gasol should of been traded a couple of years ago when he actually had value. It is now looking like the Lakers will end up getting nothing for Dwight/Bynum and Gasol. Hopefully the Lakers do not compound not trading Gasol by resigning him, that would be a huge mistake. Gasol was a distraction this past season, the last thing the Lakers need is to bring back players that are a potential distraction.

1. Let him walk.

2. Have security kick his ass in the parking lot so he won't get any ideas about coming back.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject:

s&t him to okc for perkins,lamb and a 1st. they hope he will become steve nash 2.0 so durant leaves in 2016
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: