Will pau have his jersey hanging from the rafters one day?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Will pau have his jersey hanging from the rafters one day?

activeverb wrote:
monster_montego wrote:
Did he make enough of an impact to be displayed in eternity with the laker greats?

It's pretty simple. If he gets into the Hall of Fame, his jersey will be retired.

That's the Laker policy,

For guys who are sure HOFers (like Shaq), they retire the jersey before he gets in the Hall. For borderline guys (like Jamaal Wilkes), they wait until he's inducted.

Pau is borderline, so it will take until 5 years after he reties to know for sure.

So you could just as well make this question whether people think Pau will get in the Hall of Fame.

this pretty much sums it up . good post !
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject:

Definitely yes, but the jersey will be softer than the rest.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject:

Don't know about his jersey but if he doesn't leave, the mob may hang him from the rafters one day....

joking of course...
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:

Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject:

Without doubt they will retire his jersey. He'll be in the hall of fame and he was a major contributer on a couple championship teams. He ticks all the boxes and meets the Lakers criteria.
Dreamy
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

If Jamaal Wilkes got his jersey retired, I don't see why Pau can't.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:
frenchbullcho wrote:
lakersgirl wrote:
Yes.
Dwarf Nebula
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject:

[quote="Dreamy"]If Jamaal Wilkes got his jersey retired, I don't see why Pau can't.[/quote

I rate Silk much higher than Pau. If you weren't there to see him play than it's hard to overstate what a great player he was. John Wooden referred to him as the example of the perfect basketball player.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject:

If Pau makes the Naismith HoF, yep - the Lakers will raise his jersey high.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject:

Pau will likely be in the HOF, and that typically means the team will retire his jersey.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject:

regardless of what I think of Pau the last couple of years, yes he will be and yes he deserves it
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject:

[quote="Dwarf Nebula"]
Dreamy wrote:
If Jamaal Wilkes got his jersey retired, I don't see why Pau can't.[/quote

I rate Silk much higher than Pau. If you weren't there to see him play than it's hard to overstate what a great player he was. John Wooden referred to him as the example of the perfect basketball player.

Wooden, from his handout from "The John Wooden Basketball Camp, 1975":
"... Not many players are really good at everything, but one player under my supervision (Keith (Jamaal) Wilkes) had no discernible weakness. He was also excellent at many things. He could shoot from many areas of the court, inside and outside, from either side of the court. He worked well at both high and low posts. He played well off the ball and he could create his own shot even when guarded closely. He dribbled well with either hand, and he passed well with either hand. He utilized every form of the pass very well, and he would pass the ball. I can't say that about many. He had as sure a pair of hands as anyone I've coached. ... He defended well, and could handle players his own size as well as players a few inches taller or shorter. He rebounded well on offense and on defense. ... He had great instinct for the game and seemed to be in the right spot at the right time. He played well with other superstars and he could lead a group on the floor as well. He was courteous, generous and he could play any style of basketball required."
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject:

Yes, Gasol will be up there. As far as Coop goes. I think that eventually he will be in the hall of fame and thus be in the rafters also. He has some good individual accomplishments, despite the fact that he was a role player. I think these individual accomplishments coupled with how important a piece he was to a dynastic team will eventually earn him the accolades he deserves.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject:

Yeah, no doubt about it!
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
55 wrote:

Wasn't even washed with fabric softener.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject:

The jersey will go up but you won't be able to see it, as it won't show up, during the big games.
AncientMariner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:

PostMalone24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He got us two chips!!!!!!!!! I remember when we first got Pau he was such a beast!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject:

i guess they have to. if the HoF was just based on the NBA, i wonder...
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
Druggas wrote:
Pau is iffy in my opinion. What about Robert Horry?

definitely not. Pau before Horry for sure, Coop, Byron and Fisher before Horry as well

If we are going to start talking about Horry, Byron, Fisher that were never All-Stars and clearly will not get into the HOF then we really need to talk about the following players that are MUCH MORE deserving:

1. Rudy Larusso - FIVE TIME ALL-STAR and Laker player for 8 years. Had four double/double years with Lakers and arguably deserves HOF.
2. Happy Hairston - Had double/double years for all six of his years with the Lakers and is clearly the best rebounding forward in Laker history.

I would include Pau and Cooper in that list of two players above rounding out reasonably four players arguably deserving before we even START to think about questionable players like Byron or players like Horry and Fisher (please). Maybe it was meant to be "tongue in check" about Horry and Fisher if so then never mind....

But if we are actually serious at all and start talking about Byron or Horry then we really have to start talking about players like AC Green (record for most games in a row), Lamar Odom (arguably second best rebounding forward to Happy) or even player like Nixon (Laker All-Star), Fox (best defensive Laker forward in history), Van Excel (Laker All-Star)... and if we lower the standards to this level then what about payers like M. Thompson, Ceballos (Laker All-Star), Perkins, Grant and the list can eventually grow out of control from there on and on....

Heck, we'll have another SIXTEEN RETIRED JERSEYS if we include just the players mentioned above to go along with the currently NINE retired Lakers numbers for a grand total of 25 retired numbers.... At some point we'll become like the Celtics and run out of numbers ....

I've always said there are FIVE SUPER-STAR Jersey numbers that have a unique and incomparable stature when compared to the other retired number players:

Baylor, West, Johnson, Jabbar and Wilt are those five incomparable SUPER-STAR players, imho.... then we drop down a bit to Shaq and then start dropping a bit further with the rest of the players (Goodrich, Worthy and Wilkes in that order)....

The likes of Pau and Cooper (THE ONLY LAKER IN HISTORY TO WIN A DPOY AWARD) would arguably belong in my view in that third tier with Goodrich, Worthy and Wilkes.....

.... In my view if we start considering players like Byron or Horry like it appears we are in this post then we clearly have to first consider Rudy Larusso and Happy Hairston (two of the very best PF's in LA Lakers history)... and then from their players like Nixon or Odom come to mind.... and as such we then have probably created a fourth tier (although one can argue perhaps at least Larusso would be deserving in that third tier I mentioned above as a FIVE TIME All-Star).

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...

Last edited by LA_Lakers_Rule on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
Yes, Gasol will be up there. As far as Coop goes. I think that eventually he will be in the hall of fame and thus be in the rafters also. He has some good individual accomplishments, despite the fact that he was a role player. I think these individual accomplishments coupled with how important a piece he was to a dynastic team will eventually earn him the accolades he deserves.

on a worse team coop probably would have made a few all-star teams. he sacrificed and adjusted his game to do whatever the lakers needed. i easily put him ahead of pau.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
OCWA wrote:

on a worse team coop probably would have made a few all-star teams. he sacrificed and adjusted his game to do whatever the lakers needed. i easily put him ahead of pau.

Coop is very underated. Aside from being an elite defender, he also ran the point behind Magic, could shoot the 3, and effectively played 3 positions. In my opinion he was the 3rd most important player (Behind Kareem & Magic) during the Shotime era. Even more important than Worthy.

In the right situation Coop could have had Pippen or Moncrief numbers.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject:

i would vote yes on retiring his jersey i mean although given his softness, he did help with the 2 championships, 08 could have done better

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
Sccit
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject:

we only put hall of famers up....pau will be a hall of famer, so yea
magicdays
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
OCWA wrote:

Wow, your hate for Pau is seething all over. I loved Coop but to put him "easily" ahead of Pau is ridiculous.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9
Jump to: