Will pau have his jersey hanging from the rafters one day?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject:

magicdays wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
OCWA wrote:
Yes, Gasol will be up there. As far as Coop goes. I think that eventually he will be in the hall of fame and thus be in the rafters also. He has some good individual accomplishments, despite the fact that he was a role player. I think these individual accomplishments coupled with how important a piece he was to a dynastic team will eventually earn him the accolades he deserves.

on a worse team coop probably would have made a few all-star teams. he sacrificed and adjusted his game to do whatever the lakers needed. i easily put him ahead of pau.

Wow, your hate for Pau is seething all over. I loved Coop but to put him "easily" ahead of Pau is ridiculous.

well he has 5 championships to pau's 2... that always seems to be the be-all and end-all of these discussions. i don't recall him ever quitting on a team because a coach asked him to change something in his game either. he pretty much was the perfect team player at the highest level.
cvballa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Will pau have his jersey hanging from the rafters one day?

activeverb wrote:
monster_montego wrote:
Did he make enough of an impact to be displayed in eternity with the laker greats?

It's pretty simple. If he gets into the Hall of Fame, his jersey will be retired.

That's the Laker policy,

For guys who are sure HOFers (like Shaq), they retire the jersey before he gets in the Hall. For borderline guys (like Jamaal Wilkes), they wait until he's inducted.

Pau is borderline, so it will take until 5 years after he reties to know for sure.

So you could just as well make this question whether people think Pau will get in the Hall of Fame.

Exactly. Same with Gail Goodrich. I think he will go in eventually. Especially considering his international accomplishments.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Will pau have his jersey hanging from the rafters one day?

cvballa wrote:
activeverb wrote:
monster_montego wrote:
Did he make enough of an impact to be displayed in eternity with the laker greats?

It's pretty simple. If he gets into the Hall of Fame, his jersey will be retired.

That's the Laker policy,

For guys who are sure HOFers (like Shaq), they retire the jersey before he gets in the Hall. For borderline guys (like Jamaal Wilkes), they wait until he's inducted.

Pau is borderline, so it will take until 5 years after he reties to know for sure.

So you could just as well make this question whether people think Pau will get in the Hall of Fame.

Exactly. Same with Gail Goodrich. I think he will go in eventually. Especially considering his international accomplishments.

it's a dumb policy. essentially they're letting east coast sports writers decide on the totality of a player's career, sometimes not even in the nba, who should be given a team honor. it's all for the local fans anyway. who cares what they think.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Will pau have his jersey hanging from the rafters one day?

greenfrog wrote:
cvballa wrote:
activeverb wrote:
monster_montego wrote:

That's the Laker policy,

it's a dumb policy. essentially they're letting east coast sports writers decide on the totality of a player's career, sometimes not even in the nba, who should be given a team honor. it's all for the local fans anyway. who cares what they think.

I have mixed feeling about the policy. On one hand, the policy ensures that only the best of the best have their jerseys on the wall, and with that comes an integrity that sets the Lakers above other franchises. On the other hand, there definitely are some role players that were very important to the franchise and deserve to be up there.

But I don't want the Lakers to be like the Celtics where there are so many jerseys hanging that it diminishes the honor.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Will pau have his jersey hanging from the rafters one day?

OCWA wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
cvballa wrote:
activeverb wrote:
monster_montego wrote:

That's the Laker policy,

I have mixed feeling about the policy. On one hand, the policy ensures that only the best of the best have their jerseys on the wall, and with that comes an integrity that sets the Lakers above other franchises. On the other hand, there definitely are some role players that were very important to the franchise and deserve to be up there.

But I don't want the Lakers to be like the Celtics where there are so many jerseys hanging that it diminishes the honor.

that's the polar opposite in the extreme. make a good play in a finals game and they put you up.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Will pau have his jersey hanging from the rafters one day?

greenfrog wrote:
OCWA wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
cvballa wrote:
activeverb wrote:
monster_montego wrote:

That's the Laker policy,

that's the polar opposite in the extreme. make a good play in a finals game and they put you up.

Yep. It's only a matter of time until James Posey and Kendrick Perkins are up there. They may even put Scalabrine up there because of his towel waving prowess.
magicdays
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
magicdays wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
OCWA wrote:
Yes, Gasol will be up there. As far as Coop goes. I think that eventually he will be in the hall of fame and thus be in the rafters also. He has some good individual accomplishments, despite the fact that he was a role player. I think these individual accomplishments coupled with how important a piece he was to a dynastic team will eventually earn him the accolades he deserves.

on a worse team coop probably would have made a few all-star teams. he sacrificed and adjusted his game to do whatever the lakers needed. i easily put him ahead of pau.

Wow, your hate for Pau is seething all over. I loved Coop but to put him "easily" ahead of Pau is ridiculous.

well he has 5 championships to pau's 2... that always seems to be the be-all and end-all of these discussions. i don't recall him ever quitting on a team because a coach asked him to change something in his game either. he pretty much was the perfect team player at the highest level.

Seriously? Horry has 7 so he must be greater than Shaquille, Kobe, Kareem, Magic, Jordan? Actually, forget it, let's just move on...
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject:

magicdays wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
magicdays wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
OCWA wrote:

Seriously? Horry has 7 so he must be greater than Shaquille, Kobe, Kareem, Magic, Jordan? Actually, forget it, let's just move on...

if he was a key part of 7 on the lakers i would consider putting him up there too.

pau's only laker career of note spanned 2 and a half years. the rest is best forgotten.
Discoflux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject:

i hope not. gasol is a great player but to be in the rafters? that's another level that pau never achieved. Also, he hasn't played for the lakers long enough, the equivalent of five full years. That's not getting it done.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject:

I'd say so. The impact he's had and the fact that he saved us from losing our franchise player and prevented us from falling into purgatory 6 years ago definitely put him up there, not to mention his credentials.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Discoflux wrote:
i hope not. gasol is a great player but to be in the rafters? that's another level that pau never achieved. Also, he hasn't played for the lakers long enough, the equivalent of five full years. That's not getting it done.

<cough> Wilt <cough>
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Druggas wrote:
Pau is iffy in my opinion. What about Robert Horry?

What about Horry? He has no chance whatsoever of making it unless he becomes a head coach and is extremely successful - which is as likely as you winning the SuperLotto. Pau does.

greenfrog wrote:

well [Coop] has 5 championships to pau's 2... that always seems to be the be-all and end-all of these discussions. .

Bzzzt. With whom? Pedestrian fans that are all about RINGZZZ only? Perhaps. And, of course they'd be wrong. That simply isn't the way it works, despite the relative silliness of the Hall.

Dwarf Nebula wrote:
Not a chance. B. Scott's isn't up there and he won more and was just as important to the team as Pau.

Goodness. Cake = taken. Nice work.

Oh, wait. Another contestant.

greenfrog wrote:

it's a dumb policy.

I don't recall that being the question posed in the thread. Talk to Jim.

Quote:
who cares what they think.

Quite a few people that follow the team and league, perhaps to your dismay or inability to discover the ability to capitalize a letter.

Last edited by Lowest Merion on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Will pau have his jersey hanging from the rafters one day?

OCWA wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
OCWA wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
cvballa wrote:
activeverb wrote:
monster_montego wrote:

That's the Laker policy,

Yep. It's only a matter of time until James Posey and Kendrick Perkins are up there. They may even put Scalabrine up there because of his towel waving prowess.

The Celtics basically retired the jersey of everyone on their 1960 teams. But other than them, the only non Hall-of-Fame jerseys they retired were for Reggie Lewis, Jojo White, and Cedric Maxwell (who was a finals MVP). So they are not as liberal with retiring jerseys as people think. They just have more Hall of Famers than any other team.
jager67
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject:

NO!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Discoflux wrote:
Also, he hasn't played for the lakers long enough, the equivalent of five full years. That's not getting it done.

Pau has been a Laker for 429 games. Wilt was here for 339 games. Mikan for 439 games. Shaq 509 games. Wilkes for 575 games.

I don't see a reason why he's less deserving than Wilkes and Goodrich.

Last edited by activeverb on Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Will look forward to Pau's jersey retirement ceremony at Staples in a few years.
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Pau is a sure lock in the HoF. One may argue if he will get in as soon as possible or they will make him wait a bit. But the only reason he won't get in would be the HoF changing itself or stops existing.

As a 100% lock in the HoF, his chances of having his jersey retired by Lakers policy is (barring disasters) 100% as well, and that was the question asked, not the number of rings he's won, or how he is perceived compared to other players.

I think Pau has around the same chances as Shaq to get inducted and to get his jersey retired, which coincidentally are 100% :p
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Will pau have his jersey hanging from the rafters one day?

greenfrog wrote:
essentially they're letting east coast sports writers decide on the totality of a player's career .

You seem to be confusing the basketball and baseball halls of fame. Baseball is open about voting, which is done by media people. No one knows who the voters are for the basketball HOF -- the procedure is filled with a bunch of secret committees, but it's a good bet that most of the voters aren't media people.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject:

no way. im a big pau fan, but no way. he is no shaq.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Will pau have his jersey hanging from the rafters one day?

activeverb wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
essentially they're letting east coast sports writers decide on the totality of a player's career .

You seem to be confusing the basketball and baseball halls of fame. Baseball is open about voting, which is done by media people. No one knows who the voters are for the basketball HOF -- the procedure is filled with a bunch of secret committees, but it's a good bet that most of the voters aren't media people.

thanks. i did not know.

for anyone who cares:
http://www.sbnation.com/2013/2/15/3991646/basketball-hall-of-fame-voting-process-jerry-colangelo

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/09/09/hall-voting-process-still-lacks-a-lot/

basically Colangelo wants to put everyone in. maybe we'll have to retire Glen Rice's jersey someday...I say Eddie you say Jones?
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject:

lakerforever24 wrote:
no way. im a big pau fan, but no way. he is no shaq.

No, he's not, but as a lock for the HoF he is. Pau's international resume is greater than Shaq's by a mile, and that counts for the HoF. When you need X achievements to get inducted, it doesn't matter that much if you've accomplished X, 2X, 3X or 10X. Can't get higher than 100%.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject:

Yes he should be. He was the reason we won the two most recent championships. He was clearly the top option next to Kobe. The seasons under the mikes he's really been mishandled. And the last playoff run with Phil it was known he had some personal issues. Guy is only 33, shows from time to time he can still play at a high level. If he leaves (and I think it will be to a team that knows how to use him) were going to see a resurgence of Pau, all-star or near all-star level. I think he's got at least two solid years left.

these two Mikey hires have been brutal on the Franchise and various players. Two one dimensional coaches who don't know how to handle star players or the media on a major market team. Even Del Harris is starting to look really good by comparison.

Last edited by Goldenwest on Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject:

yes no doubt
LALdynasty!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject:

YES
Druggas
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject:

I'd hang Fisher's jersey before Pau's.

Kobe, Pau or Shaq never won a title without him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9
Jump to: