Lakers were offered just a second rounder for Pau Gasol
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
I think you and I were the few that wanted this backup deal made once the CP3 deal was vetoed.

I'm pretty sure, Scola's toxic contract is the reason why the Lakers did not pull the trigger, but I might be wrong.

You would love to have Scola's toxic contract and your PG for the next decade in Dragic instead of Nash!

Pau's contract would be broken into 3 tradeable ( more so than a large $19m one) pieces. We keep our draft picks and could use them to get rid of scola's if needed and we get Dragic (possible all nba player this season) or even Lowry instead of Dragic (another possible all NBA team player).

And Kevin Martin's expiring!
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Atticus wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Atticus wrote:
Trading your 2nd best player on 2 championship teams for a 2nd round pick would have been the ultimate disrespect move. Especially considering just 2 years ago we bought a 2nd round pick on draft day for about 500k.

Philadelphia is going to have 5 2nd round picks this year, to go along with their 2 first rounders. They're not going to keep all 5. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to buy a 2nd round pick off them if we really wanted to. No reason to disrespect Pau and make our franchise look weak by trading him for a 2nd rounder.

i don't believe we're fooling anyone by pretending his value is higher. we traded van exel for nothing, fisher as well. there's nothing really different about it other than kobe would have thrown a (bleep) fit.

Van Exel wasn't the 2nd best player on a championship team. Fisher was traded for Jordan Hill, who has been a rotation player for us essentially since we acquired him. That's different than trading Pau Gasol for a 2nd round pick.

nick van exel was the (bleep). i could never love lue the way i loved nick the quick.

close out boston garden. get stepped over by iverson.
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject:

A second roundr for PAU is crazy, no way we take that deal. After the CP3 nix we were set back a few years. Maybe the NBA gods will give us the number one overall for taking that one away from us.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
They're right not to give Pau away for nothing.

I know we as fans are looking for change and fresh but Pau is worth more than a 2nd rounder.

The irony is that the Lakers are going to lose Pau for "nothing" anyway....

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
We should have took the 2nd this is a deep draft. Aaron Harrison, Patrick Young, Capela, Stokes, and C.J Fair could have been there with that pick. Gasol won't be back next year, he's not as good as he use to be offensively and he's a defensive liability.

Who can disagree that getting anything is better than getting nothing which is the likely outcome now....

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
Trading Gasol for just a 2nd round pick would have been a terrible move.

Now that we kept him we can get more value back in return in a potential sign and trade.

Interesting thing that I just learned yesterday, but we can renounce Pau and still do a S&T with him. I had thought that by renouncing him we were giving up all claims.

With the caveat that Pau will have a say in whatever trade offer might materialize.... there is no guarantee that Pau will agree thus the specter of losing Pau for nothing looms over the Lakers....

dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers were offered just a second rounder for Pau Gasol

LakersForever123 wrote:
I read on the lakernation website that Lakers were only offered a second rounder for Pau Gasol.

Has Pau Gasol's trade value sunked to this all time low?

No wonder lakers did not even trade him.

Discuss.

When connected to $9 million for half a season, his value is much lower. But without a price his value is higher.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers were offered just a second rounder for Pau Gasol

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
I read on the lakernation website that Lakers were only offered a second rounder for Pau Gasol.

Discuss.

When connected to $9 million for half a season, his value is much lower. But without a price his value is higher.

if the feeling was that he could actually help a team advance in the playoffs in his present state the money would not have been an issue. they'd recoup their losses alone on the extra games.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
I think you and I were the few that wanted this backup deal made once the CP3 deal was vetoed.

I'm pretty sure, Scola's toxic contract is the reason why the Lakers did not pull the trigger, but I might be wrong.

You would love to have Scola's toxic contract and your PG for the next decade in Dragic instead of Nash!

So we would have a better PG but still be in salary cap hell? Is that supposed to be better than where we are now? And that is assuming that Dragic wouldn't have left as a FA, which he became after that supposed trade was made.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

So we would have a better PG but still be in salary cap hell? Is that supposed to be better than where we are now? And that is assuming that Dragic wouldn't have left as a FA, which he became after that supposed trade was made.

How is Scola's contract salary cap hell? Pau's $19m wasn't?

I don't think Dragic would have left either, unless Sasha Vujacic annoyed the crap out of him.

TBH, I didn't think Dragic would turn out to be an all-NBA caliber player, but what I wanted the team to do was cut down Pau's large contract into 2-3 pieces.

You're telling me that a team wouldn't take Scola if the Lakers threw in a 1st rounder with it?
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

Reminder, Kevin Martin was an expiring $11.5M and Scola had 2 years left at $8.6M and $9.3M.

This was for the 2011/12 season.

So what's that about salary cap hell again?
#Avatar-gate
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers were offered just a second rounder for Pau Gasol

greenfrog wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:

Discuss.

if the feeling was that he could actually help a team advance in the playoffs in his present state the money would not have been an issue. they'd recoup their losses alone on the extra games.

It isn't just about recouping their losses, it is about sending a minimum $15 mil back to the Lakers. Adding Pau while losing another important piece or two likely isn't an improvement. The Suns were the only team that I think had a useless player on a big contract that would have worked, but they weren't ready to play with the big boys.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

Reminder, Kevin Martin was an expiring $11.5M and Scola had 2 years left at $8.6M and $9.3M.

Martin would have been the only reason to make that trade. If he would re-sign with a contract that Minny gave him it would be a steal. Most here wanted to let him and Dragic walk and most wanted Lowry (I would still prefer Lowry). Scola's contract was cap hell, it was so bad they couldn't give him away, they had to use amnesty.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

Martin would have been the only reason to make that trade. If he would re-sign with a contract that Minny gave him it would be a steal. Most here wanted to let him and Dragic walk and most wanted Lowry (I would still prefer Lowry). Scola's contract was cap hell, it was so bad they couldn't give him away, they had to use amnesty.

Not really. Houston didn't want to include picks to dump him.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers were offered just a second rounder for Pau Gasol

venturalakersfan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:

Discuss.

It isn't just about recouping their losses, it is about sending a minimum $15 mil back to the Lakers. Adding Pau while losing another important piece or two likely isn't an improvement. The Suns were the only team that I think had a useless player on a big contract that would have worked, but they weren't ready to play with the big boys.

correct me if this is dated info, but they only have to match salaries if both teams are over the cap. the suns are under it.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

LOL "Cap Hell", give me a break. Scola's contract was $8-9M per for 2 years. The way you phrase it makes it seem as though he was owed $15M per.

Martin's contract could easily had been dumped. Scola in his 2nd year could have been dumped.
#Avatar-gate
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

LOL "Cap Hell", give me a break. Scola's contract was $8-9M per for 2 years. The way you phrase it makes it seem as though he was owed $15M per.

Martin's contract could easily had been dumped. Scola in his 2nd year could have been dumped.

unfortunately, we found out that Pau's contract was hard to get rid of after the window of opportunity to do so closed.
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject:

I thought Cleveland offered us a 1st but we held out for more (Waiters)?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

And that doesn't tell you how poor the market for him was?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

And that doesn't tell you how poor the market for him was?

You make scola out be some deadweight $9m contract like Nash. He isn't. He still can contribute. And getting Dragic for him. That's worth it.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject:

In fairness, LA probably eats Scola to get Dragic if they know then what they do now. That said, HOU did have to Amnesty him because there was zero market for him.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
In fairness, LA probably eats Scola to get Dragic if they know then what they do now. That said, HOU did have to Amnesty him because there was zero market for him.

I knew then how good Dragic was. A lot of you forget how oft-injured Kyle Lowry was. Dragic when starting was tearing it up that season and I knew he learned a great deal from Nash. Remember those games where he and Sasha would get into each others face?

Take a look at games he started in the 2010/11 season

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4507/splits/?season=2010
#Avatar-gate
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject:

The lakers traded a first round draft pick to New Jersey for them to take Sasha. They traded a first rounder to Houston to take fisher and a first rounder to cleveland for them to take Luke Walton. All of these trades reduced the lakers luxury tax bills. Golden state traded a first rounder to Utah because Utah took Biedrens, Jefferson and Rush off the books thus creating enough room to sign Iggy. The clippers traded a first rounder to cleveland because they took baron davis which turnen out to be Irving.

When most of these trades happen the team taking the contract the other team is trying to dump is usually compensated in the form of draft picks. The lakers by trading Gasol to cleveland would have saved over 20 million in luxury tax payments. They also would have recieved some of the tax distribution because the trade would have put them under the luxury tax and would have taken the repeater out of the equation down the road. So cleveland in addition to doing this is also going to throw in a first round draft pick or dion waiters. Only on lakersground.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject:

It's not the only factor by any means...but no one is interested in helping the Lakers recover faster.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject:

those guys gets tons of pick for pierce and kg but we couldn't get a first rounder for pau... really annoying. Hope we can pul a s&t so we rob teams like suns robbed us.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: