Lakers were offered just a second rounder for Pau Gasol
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
those guys gets tons of pick for pierce and kg but we couldn't get a first rounder for pau... really annoying. Hope we can pul a s&t so we rob teams like suns robbed us.

The Nets are fairly stretched out on picks owed and I don't recall the Nets being interested in sending out a First Round + Pierce (a large contract expiring ASAP).

Perhaps the Suns would have parted with a First Round pick if Pau had made a strong commitment to staying there beyond the season that just ended.
Jocinetu
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
waited too long to trade him. They could have traded him in the summer and got a 1st like Boston did with Paul and KG.

yep... this season disaster would be PERFECT to evaluate some young guns for seasons to come...
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject:

Pierce and Garnett both look like they have more to offer than Pau. Pau is done, other than a few Lakers faithful who don't want to see beyond that, everyone knows.

We have tried to trade Pau over the last two seasons with no takers. There will be none in the offseason either, other than us overpaying for him.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject:

They didn't trade him for a re-build/tank package in the summer ala Boston because they didn't think it would go this bad. They were expecting to make the playoffs as a lower seed, to have Kobe back, to have Nash available and the new guys (Farmar, Wesley etc) to provide much needed fits in the MDA offense. They also expected Pau to play a lot better at C than PF.

Of course it didn't materialize that way, and they wound up without a healthy Kobe, without Nash and a bunch of role players with Pau in the middle. Clearly, that was not the Lakers plan, it was a result of the injuries.

More than keeping Pau, I do not understand the notion to try and compete with the type of teams we have in the West with what we had this year. It was quite obvious to me that this team wasn't going to do any damage unless Kobe by some miracle played like he never tore his achilles. I'm just not sure why they thought they could compete for a playoff run, we never had a strong enough team for it once Dwight walked for nothing.

BTW, if you look at it from that POV, not trading Pau made sense. The Lakers operated under a thinking that they were going for the playoffs. Boston was ready to tank from the season's start. I don't blame the Lakers for not trading Pau once they had that mindset. I just don't get why they thought they could realistically make the playoffs when the year before they won only 45 games with a much much better team that had one of the top 10 players on the league on it and a healthy Kobe Bryant.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
They didn't trade him for a re-build/tank package in the summer ala Boston because they didn't think it would go this bad. They were expecting to make the playoffs as a lower seed, to have Kobe back, to have Nash available and the new guys (Farmar, Wesley etc) to provide much needed fits in the MDA offense. They also expected Pau to play a lot better at C than PF.

Of course it didn't materialize that way, and they wound up without a healthy Kobe, without Nash and a bunch of role players with Pau in the middle. Clearly, that was not the Lakers plan, it was a result of the injuries.

More than keeping Pau, I do not understand the notion to try and compete with the type of teams we have in the West with what we had this year. It was quite obvious to me that this team wasn't going to do any damage unless Kobe by some miracle played like he never tore his achilles. I'm just not sure why they thought they could compete for a playoff run, we never had a strong enough team for it once Dwight walked for nothing.

BTW, if you look at it from that POV, not trading Pau made sense. The Lakers operated under a thinking that they were going for the playoffs. Boston was ready to tank from the season's start. I don't blame the Lakers for not trading Pau once they had that mindset. I just don't get why they thought they could realistically make the playoffs when the year before they won only 45 games with a much much better team that had one of the top 10 players on the league on it and a healthy Kobe Bryant.
great post.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
Pierce and Garnett both look like they have more to offer than Pau. Pau is done, other than a few Lakers faithful who don't want to see beyond that, everyone knows.

We have tried to trade Pau over the last two seasons with no takers. There will be none in the offseason either, other than us overpaying for him.

^ This is a better post.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

^ This is a better post.

I don't think Pau is "done". If you are expecting Pau from 2008-2010 then forget it. But Pau that can get you 15 pts and 8 reb for around $8M then you may have a deal.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

^ This is a better post.

I don't think Pau is "done". If you are expecting Pau from 2008-2010 then forget it. But Pau that can get you 15 pts and 8 reb for around $8M then you may have a deal.

So as a bench guy, in other words. MDA tried that and the basketball world collectively puked.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

^ This is a better post.
Not really.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

^ This is a better post.

So as a bench guy, in other words. MDA tried that and the basketball world collectively puked.

Pau needs a classic post offense.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

^ This is a better post.

Pau needs a classic post offense.
Pau's best years are behind him but he would be more effective in a post offense no doubt.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject:

^ IMO the best PF combo for Pau is Serge Ibaka. Someone who is comfortable popping mid-range shots on offense/swooping in for rebounds, and a weakside shot blocker on defense.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
^ IMO the best PF combo for Pau is Serge Ibaka. Someone who is comfortable popping mid-range shots on offense/swooping in for rebounds, and a weakside shot blocker on defense.
Yes. He is an ideal match. They would be a deadly combo. Better than Z-Bo & Marc? Maybe.....
LeBronte Jest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

^ This is a better post.

Yeah, if anything, Pau just hasn't looked motivated. He's definitely got something left in the tank.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject:

LeBronte Jest wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

^ This is a better post.

Yeah, if anything, Pau just hasn't looked motivated. He's definitely got something left in the tank.

motivation comes from within, so that would be included in the tank.

just physically he's already breaking down.
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure if Pau was on another team, they would have offered way more. Seems like teams have it out for us ever since we got Pau. They forget that we gave up Marc Gasol and two first round picks.
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject:

I say we trade Pau for Rocky the nuggets mascot
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject:

It's interesting that in a fiscally conservative league, some think Pau will get $10M a year as a free agent when no team pushing for the playoffs would put a decent package together for him.

With the success Zbo is having in the playoffs, I'm not even sure where he ends up.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Big difference between paying Pau $10 mil and over $19 mil.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Big difference between paying Pau $10 mil and over $19 mil.

Actually at the deadline there's very little difference. Plus if you get to send out salary it probably costs you less at 19. Agree there has to be workable salary in trade in return. But several teams had that.
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject:

I dunno what hibbert's problem is but it could just be a chemistry issue after he called some of his teammates out...

Offer a signed pau to Indiana for hibbert if they figure they want to get out of his contract...
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject:

dino wrote:
I dunno what hibbert's problem is but it could just be a chemistry issue after he called some of his teammates out...

Offer a signed pau to Indiana for hibbert if they figure they want to get out of his contract...

why would we want his contract
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject:

He doesn't look like he is worth the contract now but was definitely beasting early on...the drop off might be mental at this point, a change of teams might do him well...

It's a risk for sure but he could be a potential long term solution at the center spot...young too...

Cap hit of $15M next 2 years...contract ends with Kobe...
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject:

dino wrote:
He doesn't look like he is worth the contract now but was definitely beasting early on...the drop off might be mental at this point, a change of teams might do him well...

It's a risk for sure but he could be a potential long term solution at the center spot...young too...

Cap hit of $15M next 2 years...contract ends with Kobe...

The problem is these drop offs in performance have become his M.O. for the last three seasons. Three seasons ago we attributed it to extended playoff runs, the Olympics and Andrew Bynum, two seasons ago we attributed it to injuries, Mike Brown and Dwight Howard, last season it was injuries, illness and Mike D'Antoni.

I don't know if the breakdown is physical or mental but there's a pattern that's not related solely to coaching. I still think Pau can play. I just don't believe he's a cornerstone or a star anymore. He either accepts that he's a role player and the appropriate level of salary that goes with it or he moves on and ends being forced to accept it playing for someone else.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: