Which GM will rebuild their teams faster, Mitch Kupchak or Phil Jackson?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suckmaki Walker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Which GM will rebuild their teams faster, Mitch Kupchak or Phil Jackson?

Which do you think will put the better team on on the floor 3 years from now?
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Phil fired his coach faster.
InstinctualGenius
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Knicks have much much less to work with.

No picks, (bleep) contracts, little cap space.

Lakers are in a much better position.

If Mitch can't do the job before Phil, Mitch doesn't deserve to GM anymore and Phil should become the next Mayor of New York.

Lakers 2012/13
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject:

Hard to say right now. I have to see who opts in and who opts out. Depending on what happens with Melo the Knicks will have as much if not more cap space than anybody in 2015. They have their 2015 1st
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject:

Mitchell Kupchak.
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject:

Mitch...
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject:

Mitch>Phil but Mitch + Jimbo<Phil

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject:

Phil may not stick around long enough.

He and Dolan are already butting heads about staff being fired.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject:

InstinctualGenius wrote:
Knicks have much much less to work with.

No picks, (bleep) contracts, little cap space.

Lakers are in a much better position.

If Mitch can't do the job before Phil, Mitch doesn't deserve to GM anymore and Phil should become the next Mayor of New York.

no Knicks are in better situation. if they don't sign Melo this summer, they will basically be granted a clean slate, they can go after everyone and anyone summer of '15, plus they do have their '15 1st round pick. so let's say they don't resign Melo, and suck for one more season gets a high 1st round pick summer of '15 and go out sign Love, Aldridge, or other big name FAs, they'll be all set.

where the Lakers have that huge elephant in the room Kobe and his contract to deal with the next two years. can't fully committed to rebuild when you have that shadowing the whole thing.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject:

Mitch has rebuilt the Lakers before, it took him 3 years to go from lottery to title. I would say Mitch has the track record and experience to do it. We really don't know what kind of GM Phil is going to be, he's a rookie at this.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
Mitch has rebuilt the Lakers before, it took him 3 years to go from lottery to title. I would say Mitch has the track record and experience to do it. We really don't know what kind of GM Phil is going to be, he's a rookie at this.

And say what you want about Jim Buss, but Jim Dolan is a far worse owner.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject:

I'm betting MK puts the Lakers back into contention before PJ does the same with the Knicks.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject:

Well, I will say this, if Phil had, had the largest say in player transactions/aquisitions during his 2nd tenure with LA, the Lakers might not have won 1 title, let alone 2 (pension for aging/increasing-less-athletic vets, and Sean May).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Well, I will say this, if Phil had, had the largest say in player transactions/aquisitions during his 2nd tenure with LA, the Lakers might not have won 1 title, let alone 2 (pension for aging/increasing-less-athletic vets, and Sean May).

Maybe we can send our tired, old, and poor vets to NY.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject:

My sauces are telling me that PJ is working on a sign and trade involving Carmelo for Shawn Marion and Jason Kidd. Lamar Odom was a coupe, and sauces are telling me Luke Walton and Fisher are prime targets as well.

Phil was so blinded by his triangle that he wanted to deal Kobe for Marion and Kidd. The Odom signing is a clear indication he's still putting a lot of stock in triangle experienced people. But there is no MJ, no Pippen, no Shaq, no Kobe.. and this reality will hit hard soon enough.

My money is on Mitch.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
My sauces are telling me that PJ is working on a sign and trade involving Carmelo for Shawn Marion and Jason Kidd. Lamar Odom was a coupe, and sauces are telling me Luke Walton and Fisher are prime targets as well.

Phil was so blinded by his triangle that he wanted to deal Kobe for Marion and Kidd. The Odom signing is a clear indication he's still putting a lot of stock in triangle experienced people. But there is no MJ, no Pippen, no Shaq, no Kobe.. and this reality will hit hard soon enough.

My money is on Mitch.

The "magic" behind Phil Jax and the Triangle was...Phil Jax. Plenty of coaches have tried to institute Triangle offenses, but none had the ability to manage egos like Phil. I think people in NY are in for a rude awakening if they think that the installation of a Triangle offense sans Phil will be the same as Phil + Triangle.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject:

Phil will fail as a GM with the Knicks, rather quickly too. It's a poisonous organization there and he's out of his depth entirely.

It remains to be seen whether Mitch can succeed here as a GM again, as a guy having such reduced power under Jim Buss. Buss has a flawed vision too.

I don't see either franchise making a return to the NBA Finals before 2020, just no way. Starting from where they are today, and led by such inane ownership, it's a snail's race for these two clubs to the next league title.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject:

I'm waiting for the upcoming media war b/w Phil and Jim Dolan. It will be epic given the voracious NY media market.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject:

Logically the safe bet is Mitch, he has been through this process a number of times, and been successful, we have a high draft pick this year, we have cap space this year in the hands of someone who has shown they know how to use the resources they have pretty well, others have pointed out while our FO seems a little dysfunctional, a lot can be attributed to the passing of the torch from Buss to the kids its reasonable for that to take a bit of time, however Dolan and the knicks have been a mess for how long now? Usually when the lakers swing big they land the punch see Gasol, see Dwight, the Lakers know how to build around a marquee player...I think all of these things tilt in the lakers flavor...personally I think PJ can be successful but he seems he is really looking to create a new organizational culture in NY that takes time, we already have a winning culture here, I mean we have sucked for a couple of years now, but the Lakers would NEVER be content with the pathetic play of the Knicks for so many years
Sharoon Francis
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject:

Phil has something to prove, Mitch can just sit back and watch the remaining Buss family dwindle the worth of their shares.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject:

Phil has his work cut out for him, at least Mitch has a lottery pick and Kobe's signed up for the next two years.

For Phil... it's a state of uncertainty, though I must say his decisiveness and direction has given me some confidence in his mission (prior to this idea of Phil as a GM would've gotten a thumbs down from me).

He can operate without the CAA folks having much influence like they did on the old regime. However what will happen with Melo? Unknown. Lottery pick? Probably going to Denver. Staff? TBD. Players? TBD. Cap space? Ha. Dolan honeymoon? It was good while it lasted. He's not too happy about Phil jimbussing his longtime employees.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/source-dolan-stop-jackson-knick-staff-firings-article-1.1765645
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject:

Mitch, easily.

!...
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
Phil has his work cut out for him, at least Mitch has a lottery pick and Kobe's signed up for the next two years.

For Phil... it's a state of uncertainty, though I must say his decisiveness and direction has given me some confidence in his mission (prior to this idea of Phil as a GM would've gotten a thumbs down from me).

He can operate without the CAA folks having much influence like they did on the old regime. However what will happen with Melo? Unknown. Lottery pick? Probably going to Denver. Staff? TBD. Players? TBD. Cap space? Ha. Dolan honeymoon? It was good while it lasted. He's not too happy about Phil jimbussing his longtime employees.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/source-dolan-stop-jackson-knick-staff-firings-article-1.1765645

"...Kobe's signed up for the next two years."

That's a handicap in a dozen ways, not an advantage. Mitch is playing the rebuilding game with an extraordinarily expensive, old, wounded guy, and one also full of uncertainty as to effectiveness, availability and attractiveness to free agents. Yech.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Which GM will rebuild thier teams faster, Mitch Kupchak or Phil Jackson?

Suckmaki Walker wrote:

the knicks/phil dont have to deal with crazed fans forcing their hand to make moves for RIGHT NOW. so they can take their time to clear the books and wait on superstar FA's all the while sucking just enough to get young promising rooks on the cheap. cheap high pick rooks and star FA's = great team(at least on paper).

because the lakers crazed fanbase. management always has to teeter on rebuild vs reload. that can cause issues if things happened like they did for us this last time. nixed trades, old guys dropping like flies.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Which GM will rebuild thier teams faster, Mitch Kupchak or Phil Jackson?

postandpivot wrote:
Suckmaki Walker wrote:

the knicks/phil dont have to deal with crazed fans forcing their hand to make moves for RIGHT NOW. so they can take their time to clear the books and wait on superstar FA's all the while sucking just enough to get young promising rooks on the cheap. cheap high pick rooks and star FA's = great team(at least on paper).

because the lakers crazed fanbase. management always has to teeter on rebuild vs reload. that can cause issues if things happened like they did for us this last time. nixed trades, old guys dropping like flies.

Clearly you don't live in NY.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: