Gasol says his return hinges on the Lakers make significant changes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Big men Gasol, Kaman, Hill : "I would love to return if the circumstances are right" aka fire MDA

wing and PG's Farmar, Young, Meeks, Bazemore, Johnson, Henry " Iwould love to come back" aka keep MDA so we can put up these stats
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject:

If MDA is fired, Pau would probably sign a long term cheaper deal. 3 year 18 mil.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
Big men Gasol, Kaman, Hill : "I would love to return if the circumstances are right" aka fire MDA

Kaman. That's the other guy I was thinking of, vis–à–vis, I'll stay if.

Funny. Wasn't it Kamen who was raving about this team and its chemistry at the start of the season?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
pmacla wrote:

Kaman. That's the other guy I was thinking of, vis–à–vis, I'll stay if.

Funny. Wasn't it Kamen who was raving about this team and its chemistry at the start of the season?

PR talk.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:

wing and PG's Farmar, Young, Meeks, Bazemore, Johnson, Henry " Iwould love to come back" aka keep MDA so we can put up these stats

For Hill it's about money. He actually liked playing for D'antoni. He wants to play 20-something minutes a game. He believes that's when he's most effective.

As for Kaman... well, when Hill was asked about Kaman being upset with his minutes he said that Kaman was a butthole. lol
TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Except for Hill, D'Antoni didn't consistently give him his 20 min a game. And no doubt Kaman raved about the team chemistry. By all accounts the players on the team got along. It's just MDA didn't fit Kaman into his system.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject:

At least Pau is man enough to say it directly to the media unlike Dwight Howard who had his mouth pieces (SAS) say it.

Love Pau.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
At least Pau is man enough to say it directly to the media unlike Dwight Howard who had his mouth pieces (SAS) say it.

Love Pau.

True.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
pmacla wrote:

For Hill it's about money. He actually liked playing for D'antoni. He wants to play 20-something minutes a game. He believes that's when he's most effective.

As for Kaman... well, when Hill was asked about Kaman being upset with his minutes he said that Kaman was a butthole. lol

Hill did not like playing for D'antoni at all. None of our big men have. Outside of Sacre and Kelly.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
pmacla wrote:

Hill did not like playing for D'antoni at all. None of our big men have. Outside of Sacre and Kelly.

You're right. I got mixed up there.

But D'antoni as coach isn't going to keep him from coming back. He was more indifferent about D'antoni, just knowing that you're not going to agree with any coach many times.

As for Sacre and Kelly... they also happen to be the big guys that are working hardest. Hard work was rewarded with minutes. Kinda funny how that works out.
magicdays
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
pmacla wrote:

Add to that, Kobe, DH, Jamison, Melo, etc. and you have a whole cadre of veteran players who did not like playing for him. The young, scoring focused players love playing for him because he puts no handcuffs on their shooting, asks little from them on defense, and does not demand a complex offensive scheme.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
ahaider wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
pmacla wrote:

But D'antoni as coach isn't going to keep him from coming back. He was more indifferent about D'antoni, just knowing that you're not going to agree with any coach many times.

As for Sacre and Kelly... they also happen to be the big guys that are working hardest. Hard work was rewarded with minutes. Kinda funny how that works out.

I think Hill goes to whoever pays top dollar and I don't think that will be us. Sacre and Kelly are also incredibly young who they wanted to develop.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
magicdays
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
ahaider wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
pmacla wrote:

Hill always worked hard--you cannot diss Hill for his effort. He always gave his all when he was on the floor. Heck, even Kaman gave his all--you do not score 28 points and grab 17 boards in a game after having been DNP without giving effort. When MDA plays him 6 minutes after that game, that demoralizes any player.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject:

The only thing better than seeing Pau leave will be if he takes MDA with him.

Both need to go.
Druggas
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Pau can certainly be the hub of the offense, as proof in the last Olympics.
magicdays
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
The only thing better than seeing Pau leave will be if he takes MDA with him.

Both need to go.

Ok, but who (realistically) do you replace them with?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject:

magicdays wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
ahaider wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
pmacla wrote:

Hill always worked hard--you cannot diss Hill for his effort. He always gave his all when he was on the floor. Heck, even Kaman gave his all--you do not score 28 points and grab 17 boards in a game after having been DNP without giving effort. When MDA plays him 6 minutes after that game, that demoralizes any player.

hill doesn't even try to help defensively. unless there's a stat involved, he has no interest.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject:

.4 wrote:
If MDA is fired, Pau would probably sign a long term cheaper deal. 3 year 18 mil.

At that price, the Lakers would be stupid not to bring him back.

In reality however, I see him in the 19-20 for two years
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
pmacla wrote:

I think the latter two are just happy to even get minutes.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jankobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject:

I say FIRE MDA! With or w/o Pau doesnt matter! With MDA here, top FA's will snub the LAKERS!
irielight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
Still amazes me that fans are so quick to want to dump Pau. Loyalty and sentiment aside, this is still a center capable of putting out 17 and 9 and above-average passing, along with legit, veteran playoff experience, even when he's NOT in the best fitting offense.

I don't want us spending over $10M for him and blowing the lion's share of our cap space, but he is worth keeping.

We can run a faster-paced offense in spurts, but we won't be able to sign 2 or more top-flight, All-Star level guys capable of playing a pick-and-roll, 7 seconds or less offense with our available space (thanks a lot, Jimbo and Kobe).

I'd rather get the best player available with our pick - whether a perimeter stud or versatile, starter-level forward -- sign a quality FA starter, stretch out Nash once and for all -- and DUMP MDA so we can take advantage of the strengths we have in Kobe and Pau.

MIM

Agree with everything here except stretching Nash... I'd rather the Lakers kept him next season, whether good, bad, or in between, and be free and clear of his contract in 2015, leaving the franchise with more cap space over the next couple of seasons...
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject:

.4 wrote:

I'd take Pau at those numbers. don't think its realistic though.
x75274
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
.4 wrote:

I'd take Pau at those numbers. don't think its realistic though.

Id take Pau back for the minimum and to be the backup center getting 13-15 minutes a game
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
magicdays wrote:
Does anyone whether there are any talks between FO and Gasol?

Didn't Mitch claim that one of the main reasons they kept Gasol was to keep his Bird rights? Which is code for "we are trying to facilitate a S&T" more than "we want to keep him" (since Bird rights are less relevant to Pau when we have a good amount of cap space).

I still think there is a chance that an over the cap playoff team will be interested in a sign and trade of some sort. With a pick coming our way. The problem will be the contract they are sending out. It could very well be something like Scola/Watson(or not) and a late 1st for Pau. Or maybe the Spurs sign and trading some of their free agents to us to make salaries match.

It might require us taking salary. If we got someone like Scola though we probably can send him somewhere for a 2nd rounder if we wanted the cap space.

In a sign and trade a playoff team can lock Pau up for like 2 to 3 years maybe a team option. Not have to worry about him bolting right away like teams were at the deadline. At the very least we can probably get a 2nd rounder that we turned down at the deadline and an a ok player we might like imo.

I think a first rounder for Pau might be as pie in the sky as it was leading up to the deadline. When do the Spurs ever trade their first rounders? Bird got flamed (and rightly so) for trading this year's 1st rounder (in addition to Gerald Green and Plumlee) for Luis Scola. I don't see him doing that for yet another big, which they presently have too many of.

The only team I could see doing that is the Knicks, but I don't think they have a first rounder to give away.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject:

If, the Lakers somehow draft Embiid, resigning Pau will make it a lot more easier because Embiid will cover a lot of Pau's weaknesses.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: