Gasol says his return hinges on the Lakers make significant changes
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Gasol says his return hinges on the Lakers make significant changes

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2014/04/23/pau-gasol-says-return-to-lakers-hinges-on-whether-they-make-significant-changes/
magicdays
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone whether there are any talks between FO and Gasol?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject:

magicdays wrote:

Didn't Mitch claim that one of the main reasons they kept Gasol was to keep his Bird rights? Which is code for "we are trying to facilitate a S&T" more than "we want to keep him" (since Bird rights are less relevant to Pau when we have a good amount of cap space).
Lakers Center
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject:

magicdays wrote:
I don't think they're allowed to talk contracts until free agency officially starts, not even with their own players.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject:

And Hill might return if there were significant changes.

And Young might return only if.

Gee, if only we could figure what it is they are talking about.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject:

magicdays wrote:

Unfortunately I do not think most people care. Gasol at this stage of his career cannot be the starting center on a championship caliber team, as the defensive anchor of the team he poses abosolutely no threat on the defensive side of the ball. I think we should go, especially if we draft Embiid
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Maybe the Staples Center cleaning company?

Coke v. Pepsi?
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
magicdays wrote:

Didn't Mitch claim that one of the main reasons they kept Gasol was to keep his Bird rights? Which is code for "we are trying to facilitate a S&T" more than "we want to keep him" (since Bird rights are less relevant to Pau when we have a good amount of cap space).

I still think there is a chance that an over the cap playoff team will be interested in a sign and trade of some sort. With a pick coming our way. The problem will be the contract they are sending out. It could very well be something like Scola/Watson(or not) and a late 1st for Pau. Or maybe the Spurs sign and trading some of their free agents to us to make salaries match.

It might require us taking salary. If we got someone like Scola though we probably can send him somewhere for a 2nd rounder if we wanted the cap space.

In a sign and trade a playoff team can lock Pau up for like 2 to 3 years maybe a team option. Not have to worry about him bolting right away like teams were at the deadline. At the very least we can probably get a 2nd rounder that we turned down at the deadline and an a ok player we might like imo.

Last edited by eureca on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
pd23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject:

“If there’s anything or anyone who could make me stay it’s Kobe Bryant. I’d stay for him, but there’d have to be significant changes.
TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Here's what Pau said about a week ago.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10800212/steve-nash-pau-gasol-uncertain-los-angeles-lakers-future

Quote:
"I think Mike and I had our misunderstandings over these last two years," Gasol said. "But I don't know how much it would affect my decision [to stay if D'Antoni remains the coach]. ... I think we found a common ground."

Pau turning into Magic?

With Magic, you only have to wait a short while before it seems he will say something to contradict himself or change his mind. So if MDA is part of the "significant changes" Pau wants, then we could be going down the Magic road here.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Pau S&T to Memphis for S&T Ed Davis
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

ribeye wrote:

it'd work better if you'd name a player people actually wanted. that includes the person in the title.

Last edited by greenfrog on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Still amazes me that fans are so quick to want to dump Pau. Loyalty and sentiment aside, this is still a center capable of putting out 17 and 9 and above-average passing, along with legit, veteran playoff experience, even when he's NOT in the best fitting offense.

I don't want us spending over $10M for him and blowing the lion's share of our cap space, but he is worth keeping.

We can run a faster-paced offense in spurts, but we won't be able to sign 2 or more top-flight, All-Star level guys capable of playing a pick-and-roll, 7 seconds or less offense with our available space (thanks a lot, Jimbo and Kobe).

I'd rather get the best player available with our pick - whether a perimeter stud or versatile, starter-level forward -- sign a quality FA starter, stretch out Nash once and for all -- and DUMP MDA so we can take advantage of the strengths we have in Kobe and Pau.

MIM
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

If his priorities are as he says (championship team, Kobe, important role in the team, multiyear deal) I think the ball is on the FO's roof. Can we get Melo or some other impact FA, + our draft pick, + a new coach? If so, I can see Pau signing for 8 or less, maybe even a bit longer contract for less than that (6mil per, 3-4 years?)
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
Still amazes me that fans are so quick to want to dump Pau. Loyalty and sentiment aside, this is still a center capable of putting out 17 and 9 and above-average passing, along with legit, veteran playoff experience, even when he's NOT in the best fitting offense.

I don't want us spending over $10M for him and blowing the lion's share of our cap space, but he is worth keeping.

We can run a faster-paced offense in spurts, but we won't be able to sign 2 or more top-flight, All-Star level guys capable of playing a pick-and-roll, 7 seconds or less offense with our available space (thanks a lot, Jimbo and Kobe).

I'd rather get the best player available with our pick - whether a perimeter stud or versatile, starter-level forward -- sign a quality FA starter, stretch out Nash once and for all -- and DUMP MDA so we can take advantage of the strengths we have in Kobe and Pau.

MIM

For a lot of these fans, loyalty is a one way street.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject:

I would be REALLY disappointed if the team decided to let Pau go and keep Nash, only to watch Nash play another hobbled, less-than-30 game season as Pau signs elsewhere for less than Nash's $9M and still chalks up around 16 and 8 a game.

MIM
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject:

i don't understand why we even need Gasol at this moment. we're in a full blown rebuild mode, having a 34 year old lumbering big doesn't make any sense. Gasol should just go to a contender, Lakers and Pau don't need each other anymore.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
I would be REALLY disappointed if the team decided to let Pau go and keep Nash, only to watch Nash play another hobbled, less-than-30 game season as Pau signs elsewhere for less than Nash's $9M and still chalks up around 16 and 8 a game.

MIM

Pau is going to get at least $10M from someone. If he goes to a contender for less, then I doubt that a sweeter deal from the Lakers would've persuaded him to stay.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:

MIM

Pau might get his 16 and 8 or even 18 and 10. But his opponent will usually get more. Last year, based on Efficiency (not PER) Pau was 17-26 against his opposite when both players 25 minutes or more. His WS/48 was below average.

For $6M fine. Still I'd rather have Hill.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject:

funny pau trying to call shots wen basically hes been a disappointed past 3 yrs. sure blame Mike but it was phil who slapped you for playing so soft in the playoffs
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Gasol prefers to play a post-oriented offense at a methodical pace,

I think it's great to have a post option, but Pau ain't a great post player anymore. There's no way we should structure an offense around him in the post and we definitely can't count on him to protect the paint on defense.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject:

MDA equal to no Pau; don't know who I prefer...
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:

MIM

All true, but moot regarding Pau. #1 He doesn't like this system/coach #2 He doesn't see us as actual contenders next year #3 He doesn't see us turning it around to actual contending level a year after that. Beyond that is even more speculative. #4 Health is a continuing issue on this team with Nash and with the biggest reason he might stay if it were otherwise (in terms of probability of contention) Kobe

So, even aside from money, if that is the outlook as he sees it, only natural to see what offers come his way improving on this situation and taking the best. Perhaps only bad teams come knocking so we look better.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
MDA equal to no Pau; don't know who I prefer...

Pau still has some value to us, but if he can't get accept the fact he's seriously declined and the offense won't be structured around his preferences than adios.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Fire MDA to keep Pau? Even if Pau doesn't return, MDA should be gone.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: