NBA/SILVER: STERLING BANNED FOR LIFE (Latest update, pg 70)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Donald Sterling’s lawsuit against wife Shelly, and why it matters to the NBA http://ow.ly/3mAtVh (via @McCannSportsLaw)

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/485978349849047040
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject:

^^^^

Quote:
Barring intervention by a federal court, Judge Michael Levanas will preside over the Sterling hearing scheduled to begin on Monday.

McCann is an idiot. The case is removed to federal court. Unless and until the federal court remands the case, nothing is going to happen in probate court.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Does Silver have the power to let players out if he so desired?

"If he so desired" -- No.

As LM says, there are a lot of provisions in the CBA and the Constitution/By-Laws that give the Commissioner a lot of power in various specific situations. However, I am not aware of anything that would allow the Commissioner to make a player a free agent under these circumstances.

LeBron or Clippers players refusing to play unless somethingis done is what I was thinking. LeBron already threatened to sit out if Sterling still owns the team, although the lifetime ban is probably satisfactory to him.
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Does Silver have the power to let players out if he so desired?

"If he so desired" -- No.

As LM says, there are a lot of provisions in the CBA and the Constitution/By-Laws that give the Commissioner a lot of power in various specific situations. However, I am not aware of anything that would allow the Commissioner to make a player a free agent under these circumstances.

LeBron or Clippers players refusing to play unless something is done is what I was thinking. LeBron already threatened to sit out if Sterling still owns the team, although the lifetime ban is probably satisfactory to him.

Lebron refusing to play would be ineffective. Lebron leading all the players in a sit out would be more effective.

Anyways, back to the question about Doc and the Clippers being let out of their contracts, there is a precedence, most recently with Jason Kidd, where a team and player can mutually agree to cancel a contract. If Sterling stays and coaches and players want out, I think it'll be an easy let go process with Parson on-boards as the interim CEO. CP3 would just add to the free agent circus right now.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject:

The federal court remanded the case to probate court. Game on.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The federal court remanded the case to probate court. Game on.

Huh. That was quick, though of course all not that unusual.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject:

LINK

Donald Sterling Likely Has Alzheimer's Disease, Neurologist Testifies At Clippers Trial

And the beat goes on. I have a feeling this will be resolved before the season starts.
Quote:

If the sale isn't completed by Sept. 15, the league said it could seize the team and put it up for auction

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject:

LINK

Sterling testifies in court today.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LINK

Donald Sterling Likely Has Alzheimer's Disease, Neurologist Testifies At Clippers Trial

And the beat goes on. I have a feeling this will be resolved before the season starts.
Quote:

If the sale isn't completed by Sept. 15, the league said it could seize the team and put it up for auction

I am hoping Sterling wins the case, because I want the amusement of seeing him and the NBA battle it out.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject:

I'm totally torn in this one, because I have no use for such a racist ahole, but at the same time, the league and his wife are some pretty slimy snakes too, and I sense he was set up. Walking into it means I have no pity for him personally, but it is a pretty bad den of thieves he's going against who in some ways are possibly worse than him.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
I'm totally torn in this one, because I have no use for such a racist ahole, but at the same time, the league and his wife are some pretty slimy snakes too, and I sense he was set up. Walking into it means I have no pity for him personally, but it is a pretty bad den of thieves he's going against who in some ways are possibly worse than him.

Another reason why the Clippers should just fold. Not like there needs to be a reason.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject:

J posted an article with some of Sterling's quotes, but thing is going crazy fast. DTS is either a genius, deranged, mentally incapacitated (in which case I have a bit of sympathy for him - my grandmother suffers from dementia and goes from stating things coherently in one sentence to doing the precise opposite in the next - of course, my grandmother isn't a racist) or some combination thereof, or perhaps none of the above. I have no idea.

"Sterling: 'My wife is beautiful but she can't run anything.'"

Like the Clippers which DTS has run so beautifully for about thirty years?

Yes, I do realize he's currently worth about two billion and hasn't been losing money running the Clips.

http://deadspin.com/the-strangest-moments-from-donald-sterlings-testimony-t-1602076364
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

I don't like DTS, Shelly or what the league is doing. My concern is with the players, fans who finally have a team that's showing promise and a new owner who may give some respectfulness to the Clippers.

I have a feeling Shelly wanting to have a percent of the team may cause problems.

Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

The way I see it is what goes around comes around. He has maliciously screwed so many people over the years that it only makes sense that he gets a taste of his own medicine.

Honestly, there is no possible way that anyone could make me feel any sympathy for him.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LINK

Quote:

I am hoping Sterling wins the case, because I want the amusement of seeing him and the NBA battle it out.

I don't want to see Tokowitz win anything. His winning can only hurt the NBA, players and fans. He's done enough damage. Just go away Donald, just go away.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
24 wrote:

I don't like DTS, Shelly or what the league is doing. My concern is with the players, fans who finally have a team that's showing promise and a new owner who may give some respectfulness to the Clippers.

I have a feeling Shelly wanting to have a percent of the team may cause problems.

You're a gentle soul Jo.

Me? I'd prefer if DTS, the Clippers, the players, their coach and their 6 fans get raked over the proverbial coals throughout this. (bleep) 'em all.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
24 wrote:

You're a gentle soul Jo.

Me? I'd prefer if DTS, the Clippers, the players, their coach and their 6 fans get raked over the proverbial coals throughout this. (bleep) 'em all.

I don't like the Clippers organization as a whole but their players have families. Raking the team over the proverbial coals isn't something innocent children should be subjected to.

I'd like to see a UCLA/SC crosstown, in this case, cross the hall, rivalry built.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Another day, another venomous outburst on the stand by the good Donald.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/11196755/donald-sterling-lashes-wife-says-sell-los-angeles-clippers

You go boy!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject:

@basketballtalk

Quote:
Donald Sterling in court calls wife “pig,” promises to sue NBA “until I die” http://dlvr.it/6GsY4y

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LINK

Quote:

I don't want to see Tokowitz win anything. His winning can only hurt the NBA, players and fans. He's done enough damage. Just go away Donald, just go away.

I don't think it really matters. The games will go on as they always have. The trial itself is getting relatively little attention. I think by and large people don't care about the Sterling thing anymore.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
LAS VEGAS -- NBA commissioner Adam Silver addressed media after the NBA's Board of Governors meeting with a variety of information on how the NBA product might improve.

Adam Silver sees the positives for the NBA in all the attention the free agent frenzy has delivered

What he couldn't promise, though, was the extrication of Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, who remains in a legal dispute with the league over his contested ownership of the team, before the beginning of the 2014-15 season.

"I can't say with certainty because it's in the hands of the probate court right now, and Donald is in the process of suing us for lots of money and we're defending ourselves against those lawsuits," Silver said.

While Silver continues to profess that the NBA will prevail in either getting Sterling to sell the Clippers or wresting control of the team from him via the legal system, the commissioner could not give ironclad assurances.

"It's difficult to say anything with certainty in a situation like this," Silver said. "I can say with certainty that we are doing everything in our power to move Donald out as an owner in the NBA."

The commissioner announced that the NBA has yet to approve ex-Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, whose $2 billion bid on the team was accepted on May 30 by Shelly Sterling in a written agreement.

In addition to the update on the Clippers situation, Silver spoke of several changes and proposals. He announced that the NBA's replay review system will be aided by a replay center in Secaucus, New Jersey. Silver also floated the idea of a televised NBA awards show, and a midseason tournament.

Silver also addressed his thoughts on LeBron James' decision to leave the Miami Heat for the Cleveland Cavaliers, a decision he learned of on Twitter, "when virtually everyone else learned about it." Silver said he was moved by James' statement that appeared in Sports Illustrated.

"I've gotten to know LeBron pretty well over the years," Silver said. "From that standpoint, I really am more like a fan. This seemed to be a great moment for the league. And again, I understand it's Miami's loss, but that's always going to be an issue when you have such a transcendent player like LeBron."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...31865%2F%22%7D
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject:

CFO: Sterling must repay $500M in loans http://sports.yahoo.com/news/clippers-future-line-probate-trial

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The chief financial officer of Donald Sterling's properties says the billionaire may be forced to sell a large portion of his real estate empire to cover $500 million in loans if he persists in refusing to sell the Los Angeles Clippers for $2 billion.

Darren Schield, who oversees the finances of The Sterling Family Trust, testified Monday that three banks are ready to recall their loans to Sterling because of his decision to dissolve the trust. His move was designed to rescind agreement for the sale of the Clippers, a team he bought for $12 million.

Schield said if Sterling has to dump $500 million worth of apartment buildings he could destabilize the Los Angeles real estate market.

Sterling's lawyer suggested there are other options for raising the money.

Coach Wooden
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject:

While I can see what Schield is trying to do, not sure how likely it is for the banks to call in the loans at this time. With that said, if that scenario were to ever materialize in the near future, they'd certainly selling into strength right now. The LA apartment building scene has stellar these days, the GRMs are at a premium unseen for the better part of decade.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LINK

Quote:

I don't think it really matters. The games will go on as they always have. The trial itself is getting relatively little attention. I think by and large people don't care about the Sterling thing anymore.

Yep. The faux outrage was awesome to witness.

All these players yapping away about how they'd boycott games.

My friggen' ass they would.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LINK

Quote:

no it's not people don't care, it's by design. league wants this trail be as low key as possible, they want people to forget about all this because they (the league) does not want to put their players in tough spot when in fact Donald Sterling is still the owner by season starts.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 67 of 70
Jump to: