NBA/SILVER: STERLING BANNED FOR LIFE (Latest update, pg 70)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 68, 69, 70  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject:

If they ban him then are they essentially strangling his ability to fund the team, thus would be able to take over as owners?
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
May I introduce, your 2016 SEATTLE SUPERCLIPPERS

I don't see that happening

Not to mention this isn't some podunk town. There are plenty of billionaires here. The Clippers will most likely stay in LA after all is said an done. If the Clippers move the NBA governors would have to go thru a longer process of approving and vetting the move. Make sure the arena is built.

Elated that Sterling is gone, my guess is that he pulls a Frank McCourt and ties the sale of the team up in litigation for the next two years. Hopefully the Clippers leave LA and Guggenheim and Magic do NOT buy the Clippers. They can wait and buy the Lakers in 5 years

Last edited by Kobe>Lebron on Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Moses wrote:
Well done Adam Silver, it feels good to see justice. And he dropped the hammer on this!

He must be very confident of getting the required amount of votes to force a sale.

As for the bolded, then why hasn't he?

How do you know he hasn't? They haven't voted yet. It will be some time this week.

That is my point, if he knows he has the votes, it should have been done. My guess is that part will be delayed until it is forgotten. They have Sterling out of the NBA, would it be worth it to the other owners to put themselves at risk to make him sell?
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject:

Adequate punishment for what happened. Now it's time for him to give up his ownership of this team and just move aside.

It's about time everyone sees that this level of racism will not be tolerated at any level.

Good for the Commissioner!
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

I have a feeling the NBA is going to get sued for this... Sterling is indeed racist and a pig but that doesn't change the fact of freedom of speech. Especially in a behind closed doors conversation.

It's a shame this has gotten all the attention. The real attention should have came from sterling discriminating housing years ago.. But now people only freak out because it involved celebrities... As messed up as what he said, behind closed doors we are allowed to say whatever we want. I see a lawsuit looming
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

I still don't think Sterling sells to Magic. His ego will never allow him to sell to an ownership group with a black man especially Magic.

From what I gathered, Sterling is still churning in the profits for this postseason and still writing checks. Until he sells, he makes his money off this team.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
The fine will be donated to organizations dedicated to anti-discrimination and tolerance efforts that will be jointly selected by the NBA and the Players Association, Silver said.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10857580/donald-sterling-los-angeles-clippers-owner-receives-life-ban-nba

So will the fine be distributed to the local NAACP chapter that was a few weeks away from awarding Donald Sterling a 2nd lifetime achievement award?

That just cracks me up.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject:

such a punishment, selling the team

being forced to earn 1+ billion dollars
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

That's not the punishment.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject:

The word is that his son in law is well liked and respected around the Clipper offices. The league could be making a mistake by forcing the team to be sold. That is where Sterling has a legal stake, the article to their constitution references lying about finances when buying a team, gambling and similar infractions. Saying things the other owners don't like isn't mentioned.
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject:

Adam Silver is the MAN!
ronnyjeremy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject:

Jim Gray: Donald #Sterling says Clippers 'not for sale'
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject:

So, let Sterling Pig try to hold on to his team....no free agents will ever want to come play for him. And his current players will all leave the first chance they get.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

yinoma2001 wrote:
SnitchDevil wrote:
I had know idea that this piece of (bleep) was a known racist. It makes me wonder why Stern vetoed the Lakers trade and gave Chris Paul to the Clippers.

Because other PoS owners like Gilbert complained about the Lakers getting under the luxury tax. He didn't care about the on-court contributions of CP3, just the fact that he wouldn't get a cut of the luxury tax check from the Lakers. I will never forgive Gilbert for that.
Thank you thank you, thank you. for stating tihs.

for that comment. i'm done with gilbert. as if i already wasnt done with him before. lol

get your hand out of another owners pocket and make your own money.
MyKRo
Star Player
Star Player

Chronicle wrote:

He is a 80 year old multi-billionaire. I doubt more money means anything to him.

This tarnished his reputation/legacy, and he lost his pride & joy: The Clippers...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
So, let Sterling Pig try to hold on to his team....no free agents will ever want to come play for him. And his current players will all leave the first chance they get.

You underestimate greed.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SnitchDevil wrote:
I had know idea that this piece of (bleep) was a known racist. It makes me wonder why Stern vetoed the Lakers trade and gave Chris Paul to the Clippers.

Because other PoS owners like Gilbert complained about the Lakers getting under the luxury tax. He didn't care about the on-court contributions of CP3, just the fact that he wouldn't get a cut of the luxury tax check from the Lakers. I will never forgive Gilbert for that.
Thank you thank you, thank you. for stating tihs.

for that comment. i'm done with gilbert. as if i already wasnt done with him before. lol

get your hand out of another owners pocket and make your own money.

And dude made so much $$$ off of Lebron, and once his cash cow left, he wanted handouts from the Lakers and other wealthy teams. Just hate it.

To be frank, if the Lakers modified the deal where they still were tax payers, say take on Okafor in the deal, maybe we have CP3 as our point guard. But Lakers stuck to their guns/principals and here we are.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The word is that his son in law is well liked and respected around the Clipper offices. The league could be making a mistake by forcing the team to be sold. That is where Sterling has a legal stake, the article to their constitution references lying about finances when buying a team, gambling and similar infractions. Saying things the other owners don't like isn't mentioned.

I think the point is cutting off the cash flow. If his son in law runs the Clippers, Sterling still gets the profit. These players do not want to make money for a guy that considers them to be property.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

Gotta wonder how adam silver feels about this though

Finally he's the commish after so many years

what's the first thing that happens? and that will fill all the history books when people look back on his legacy in 25 years? this crap

hmm
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Moses wrote:
Well done Adam Silver, it feels good to see justice. And he dropped the hammer on this!

He must be very confident of getting the required amount of votes to force a sale.

It's called posturing. Making Sterling feel intimidated and forcing a quicker resolution. Only problem? This is Sterling we're talking about.

Plus it's been four freaking days. They voted to suspend him within that time which is obscenely fast as it is.

Something as monumental as forcing the sale of a 1B franchise is going to take more than a few days...

Last edited by jonnybravo on Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject:

^ cleaning up Stern's mess. Stern refused to touch this mess, and in fact gifted him with a HOF PG in CP3 while depriving the Lakers of same.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

jonnybravo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Moses wrote:

It's called posturing. Making Sterling feel intimidated and forcing a quicker resolution. Only problem? This is Sterling we're talking about.

Plus it's been four freaking days. They voted to suspend him within that time which is obscenely fast as it is.

I don't think they voted for that. That was up to Silver
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:

You underestimate greed.

They can get big money from other teams....Why sell your soul?

They will only get the mercenaries then...

I'm sure some of the players have some morals.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject:

Call me cynical, but this was some seriously low hanging fruit for Silver. A universally despised racist that he gets to throw the book at and get praised from everyone in every corner of the basketball universe. He couldn't have asked for anything better as a means of establishing his authority early on in his tenure.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
^ cleaning up Stern's mess. Stern refused to touch this mess, and in fact gifted him with a HOF PG in CP3 while depriving the Lakers of same.

Do what's write Adam and undo this.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 3 of 70
Jump to: