OFFICIAL COACHING SEARCH THREAD (7/26: Byron Scott Officially Hired, 4 Years 17 Million)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 286, 287, 288 ... 299, 300, 301  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject:

lakerglory wrote:
Lots of hate towards Scott. If he is in fact hired to be the coach I can support that, if it backfires so be it. it's not like Pop or Phil are available to coach this team and we are hiring Scott instead. He deserves a shot just for helping this team win rings in the 80's. If he is able to right the ship and take the team to the playoffs lots of posters around here will look foolish. This is a perfect time for fair weather fans and bandwagon fans to get off the ship for a change. I heard the Clippers are looking for people to join their fan base.

A little sensitive no? Just looking at his considerable body of work.

First, I loved Scott, one of my fave Showtime players growing up. So he has me on the sentimental end.

Second, I agree that when he has a great team (the Nets were a pretty good team but he ran into superior Western teams in the Finals) he did fine. That's not disputed. But when he had mediocre to poor teams, the teams did not fare well. That's not disputed either.

This team is a mediocre team as constructed. Looks like Nash/Kobe starting backcourt, and likely Boozer/Hill in the frontcourt. That's a bottom 10 defensive starting lineup.

What I'm commenting on is that Scott has a history of not being able to take poor defensive teams and elevate them to mid and/or upper tier defensive squads. Not controversial at all.

Again, I'll wholeheartedly cheer for Scott and the Lakers, but my eyes are open as to what he has done as a coach in the past. Of course, my refrain this year is that I'm hoping for the best. But make no mistake, it's hope.
mastersworddude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
I wonder if Scott becoming coach will make Cp3 think about demanding a trade to the Lakers... very unlikely... but anything is possible.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject:

telling fans on LG to go be Clipper fans should be a crime punishable by
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject:

lakerglory wrote:
Lots of hate towards Scott. If he is in fact hired to be the coach I can support that, if it backfires so be it. it's not like Pop or Phil are available to coach this team and we are hiring Scott instead. He deserves a shot just for helping this team win rings in the 80's. If he is able to right the ship and take the team to the playoffs lots of posters around here will look foolish. This is a perfect time for fair weather fans and bandwagon fans to get off the ship for a change. I heard the Clippers are looking for people to join their fan base.

I agree. And much more importantly, Magic, Worthy, Coop, Kareem, AC, Riley, Kobe, and likely others in the Lakers' pantheon will agree too. They will have Byron's back for as long as they reasonably can. You'll probably see tweets from Magic about "being patient" instead of impatient rants.

Having said that ... I also agree with other posters that this is Scott's last chance to show he can be a good coach. No expectations for a title just yet, but nonetheless he needs to aim to beat the expectations set by the mainstream media.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Black Salt wrote:
This is his dream job. Im happy from that standpoint. I just hope its a Rick Carlisle situation where the third spot it the charm.

Carlisle did pretty damn well with the Pistons and Pacers, though. If you're talking about winning a chip, then yeah we all hope so too....as highly unlikely as it is.

Kiss my Converse.
basketofballs
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject:

I see Byron Scott as LA's fall back guy. He was always there, and he was the safest bet. So they wanted to try and fish a little out in the ocean. When nothing bit, they decided to cast their bait back into their pond. He had some success with the New Jersey Nets when they had Jason Kidd, so the guy can do things right. He's gone through rebuilding efforts with the Cavaliers. He's honestly a decent coach to handle the transition period for the Lakers right now.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject:

It's a good hire given the circumstances we are in presently. We'll tread water and hopefully remain respectable under Scott. If it doesn't work out, go after Ollie if he's still available.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
lakerglory wrote:

I agree. And much more importantly, Magic, Worthy, Coop, Kareem, AC, Riley, Kobe, and likely others in the Lakers' pantheon will agree too. They will have Byron's back for as long as they reasonably can. You'll probably see tweets from Magic about "being patient" instead of impatient rants.

Having said that ... I also agree with other posters that this is Scott's last chance to show he can be a good coach. No expectations for a title just yet, but nonetheless he needs to aim to beat the expectations set by the mainstream media.

I would like to see some of those HOF players make random appearances in the locker room sometimes just to add gravitas to Scott's standing to players.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Lakers have to tread water due to bad FO decisions

Byron Scott is the proper choice.

DAntoni was the worse choice in the world. He drove out Howard.

And not seeing that Nash was washed up is the other bad choice. Gave up future for his present skills.

But all that is in the past.

Will take 2 3 years for Lakers to be relevant again. If not longer.
KobefanMVP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject:

When I heard the news today of us Finally offering the job to Byron Scott

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTycd7giXQU
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Scott coaching record 416 - 521 .444 %
Karl coaching record 1131- 756 .599 %

The FO is going to tell everyone that Scott was the best option available at his press conference even though we know he's not.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
lakerglory wrote:

You've got your different types of online fans:

1. They hate Jim and Mitch and will hate any move
2. Fans that legitimately believe that Byron is not a good coach
3. Fans who believe Phil and Pop are available

You can have a decent discussion with #2s.

I am definitely #2. We better not give him more than 2 guaranteed years!
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject:

How can he resist coaching Xavier Henry, Robert Sacre, Ed Davis, Jordan Clarkson, etc?

This squad is a juggernaut!
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject:

I hope Scott is a 2 year deal until we can pry Callipari away from Kentucky!
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers have to tread water due to bad FO decisions

laker50 wrote:
Byron Scott is the proper choice.

DAntoni was the worse choice in the world. He drove out Howard.

And not seeing that Nash was washed up is the other bad choice. Gave up future for his present skills.

But all that is in the past.

Will take 2 3 years for Lakers to be relevant again. If not longer.

According to Phil Jackson,

During his postseason interview, Dwight asked for assurance that I would be coming back to coach the team, but (Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak) quickly disabused him of that notion. He asked me to back him up on that and not send out a conflicting message. I agreed and told Mitch that I would reach out to Dwight and encourage him to sign with the Lakers. He never answered any of my messages.

And Kobe made a moving speech during the pitch, promising to teach Dwight the secret of winning championships that he’d learned from the best in the game.

If the meeting had ended there, it might have worked. But after the presentation, Dwight asked Kobe what he was planning to do after he recovered from his Achilles injury. Was this going to be his last year? “No,” replied Kobe. “I’m planning to be around for three or four more years.”

At that point, according to others in the room, Dwight’s eyes went blank and he drifted away. In his mind, the game was over. […] A few days later he announced that he was signing with the (Houston) Rockets.
sAM sHILE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lakerglory wrote:

A little sensitive no? Just looking at his considerable body of work.

First, I loved Scott, one of my fave Showtime players growing up. So he has me on the sentimental end.

Second, I agree that when he has a great team (the Nets were a pretty good team but he ran into superior Western teams in the Finals) he did fine. That's not disputed. But when he had mediocre to poor teams, the teams did not fare well. That's not disputed either.

This team is a mediocre team as constructed. Looks like Nash/Kobe starting backcourt, and likely Boozer/Hill in the frontcourt. That's a bottom 10 defensive starting lineup.

What I'm commenting on is that Scott has a history of not being able to take poor defensive teams and elevate them to mid and/or upper tier defensive squads. Not controversial at all.

Again, I'll wholeheartedly cheer for Scott and the Lakers, but my eyes are open as to what he has done as a coach in the past. Of course, my refrain this year is that I'm hoping for the best. But make no mistake, it's hope.

Kobe not at small forward at his age, I doubt it.

He cannot guard 26 year old, 2 guards.
Kobe trying to guard a 2:
Morgan Freeman
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject:

I don't have any problem with Scott as our coach.

As long the contract is just 1-2 year then it doesn't affect the Lakers long term.

With the new roster and the possibility of Gary Payton addition to the coaching staff team, Bryon Scott may incorporate new strategies and philosophy into his plan for the new season.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Byron Scott would be the right selection imho. I would wholeheartedly support this hiring, I think he has a lot to offer to this squad.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Good choice. Now accept Byron!!!
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Lets see how he coaches this team before y'all get down on the guy....
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject:

I don't care for Byron Scott at all, but at least they made a (bleep) decision already.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Regarding my previous inside info that Mike Brown and the Lakers were pretty much a done deal, I would like to point out that deals fall through all the time. I was told Mike Brown didn't like the way Jim Buss glanced at him while he was at the vending machine and called off everything. Scott, naturally, was our fall back guy.

THANKS JIM BUSS!
mettaElbow
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject:

too bad i wanted g carl, hes much better than b scott for winning, at least in regular season
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
It's a good hire given the circumstances we are in presently. We'll tread water and hopefully remain respectable under Scott. If it doesn't work out, go after Ollie if he's still available.

It doesn't matter who's coaching us -- we lack the horses and it will take a few years to restore the cupboards --- coaching at this point is nothing but window dressing.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Assistant Coaches:

Bill Laimbeer
Isaiah Thomas
Mike Brown
Slava Medvedenko
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 286, 287, 288 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
Page 287 of 301
Jump to: