OFFICIAL COACHING SEARCH THREAD (7/26: Byron Scott Officially Hired, 4 Years 17 Million)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 287, 288, 289 ... 299, 300, 301  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject:

This is another tough job for B, but B will instill the Lakers way of playing, which is playing inspired, tough team first basketball where everyone plays defense.

Hopefully the expectations for B are not go high, because we all know it takes great talent to win in the NBA and this team has decent talent at best.
What will make or break B is if he gets this group playing team ball and that they overachieve, if B does that and management adds talent over the next 3 years we might be able to seriously compete.
BROW GOAT 23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Any of the LG experts know what coaching style does Byron Scott brings??? Is he a defensive/offensive coach? Trying to find info but no luck yet.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Never mind found this:

http://m.voices.yahoo.com/nba-coach-byron-scotts-coaching-philosophy-efficiency-10659029.html

NBA Coach Byron Scott’s Coaching Philosophy: Efficiency on Both Sides of the Court
Richard Fajardo
Fri December 16th, 2011
In his first year as Cavaliers head coach, Byron Scott led the rebuilding team to a 19-63 record. In his previous head coaching stints, Scott managed to lead the New Jersey Nets back to the playoffs within 2 seasons and the New Orleans Hornets back to the playoffs within 4 seasons. While reaching the playoffs this season may be quite a stretch for the current Cavs team, a review of past statistics can help clarify Scott's strategies to improve the offensive and defensive play.

Improving Execution of the Princeton Offense

Regarding pace (estimated possessions per game), the Cavaliers last season played at a faster pace than any of Scott's past teams (93.0 possessions per game). Relatively speaking, the pace was 10th fastest in the league, which was comparable to the pacing of his offenses with the Nets (12th-91.8, 9th-91.8, 10th-91.6). However, Scott's Hornets teams always ran one of the 10 slowest paced offenses in the NBA, including ranking 26th (89.9) and 28th (87.8) in pace in two playoff seasons. With Kyrie Irving drawing frequent comparisons to Chris Paul, Scott may slow down the Cavs' pace in order to capitalize on Irving's half-court strengths.

Much like their pacing, Scott's Nets teams were middle-of-the-pack regarding offensive performance, including efficiency, field goal percentage, and turnovers per game. However, the slower pace for the Hornets meant that Scott needed his teams to be even more efficient, protecting the ball and attempting higher percentage shots in order to win. While Scott's teams ranked in the top 4 in fewest turnovers per game in 3 of his 5 years in New Orleans, the team ranked in the bottom 5 in field goal percentage in 3 of his 5 years. They became a top 10 shooting team in 2007-2008, ranking 8th in overall field goal percentage (.466) and 3rd in three-point percentage (.389). In comparison, last year's Cavaliers ranked 29th in field goal percentage (.434) and 23rd in three-point percentage (.342).

Overall, Scott will look for the team to run the Princeton offense as efficiently as his Nets and Hornets teams did. The acquisitions of Irving and Omri Casspi should definitely help. While Irving will provide court vision, speed, and perimeter shooting, Casspi will provide careful passing and three-point shooting. In two NBA seasons and 24.5 minutes per game, Casspi has averaged 9.5 points per game on .371 three-point shooting and only 1.1 turnovers per game.

Meanwhile, Tristan Thompson will be more of a project on the offensive end. As the Princeton offense requires strong jumpshooting, scouting reports have noted that Thompson needs to improve his shooting form and confidence in his shot. Improvements here will also help his free-throw shooting, where the Cavaliers certainly want to avoid having Thompson join the ranks of the worst free-throw shooters in team (and league) history, including Chris Dudley, Jerome Lane, Ben Wallace, and Shaquille O'Neal.

Establishing the Defensive System

While Scott has been known for implementing the Princeton offense everywhere he goes, he has quietly helped develop top-ranked defenses as well. In fact, Scott's teams have only made the playoffs when ranking in the top 5 in points allowed per game. With the Nets, this meant ranking 5th and 2nd (92.0, 90.1); with the Hornets, this meant ranking 5th twice (95.6, 94.3). Regarding defensive efficiency (points per 100 possessions), the Nets were 1st in the league in twice advancing to the NBA Finals (99.5, 98.1). The Hornets were comparably good, ranking 7th and 9th (105.7, 107.0). While Scott's Nets playoff teams excelled in forcing opponents to commit turnovers and attempt bad shots, his Hornets playoff teams thrived on dominating defensive rebounding percentage and limiting opponents' three-point percentage.

With this in mind, Cleveland's three-point defense absolutely must improve. The Cavaliers gave up the highest opponent three-point field goal percentage in NBA history last season (.411). This was quite different than the previous five years under Mike Brown, in which the Cavs twice led the league in lowest three-point field goal percentage allowed en route to deep playoff runs (2006-2007: .329; 2008-2009: .333). Interestingly enough, the Cavs were eliminated by top three-point defenses in all five playoff appearances under Brown: Pistons (1st-.325), Spurs (2nd-.334), Celtics (1st-.316), Magic (2nd-.342), Celtics (t-4th-.342).

As the Cavs may slow down the pace this year, perhaps they can cut down on fastbreak points allowed*. Last year, the Cavs ranked 20th in fastbreak points allowed per game (14.2). In Scott's best years in New Orleans, the team ranked 7th (11.0, 11.1). Likewise, the Cavs made it to the 2007 NBA Finals in part due to ranking 5th in fastbreak points allowed per game (10.2)

In the end, if Scott can help the Cavs slow down the pace a bit while forcing more bad shots and turnovers and controlling the defensive boards, the defense should be several steps closer to becoming a top-ranked defense.

___

*Statistics for fastbreak points were only available starting with the 2004-2005 season.

All statistics are from Basketball-Reference.com, except "fastbreak points", which came from TeamRankings.com.

Scouting reports for Tristan Thompson were reviewed via DraftExpress.com and NBADraft.net.

Other sources:

Boyer, Mary Schmitt. "The Princeton Way: With more players handling ball and shooting, Cavaliers are enjoying a new-old offense." Updated October 24, 2010. From Cleveland.com. Accessed December 11, 2011.

"The Basic Principles of the Princeton offense - NBA Game Time." NBATV. Accessed from YouTube.com December 11, 2011.
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Scott coaching record 416 - 521 .444 %
Karl coaching record 1131- 756 .599 %

The FO is going to tell everyone that Scott was the best option available at his press conference even though we know he's not.

Karl has a gimmick offense and doesn't make the playoff adjustments necessary to advance. It's why he's always underachieved (and only ONE finals run).

Looking at simple stats like that is so dumb...it's like saying Nick Young is a better player than Harden in OKC.
BROW GOAT 23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject:

TheSource666 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Scott coaching record 416 - 521 .444 %
Karl coaching record 1131- 756 .599 %

The FO is going to tell everyone that Scott was the best option available at his press conference even though we know he's not.

Karl has a gimmick offense and doesn't make the playoff adjustments necessary to advance. It's why he's always underachieved (and only ONE finals run).

Looking at simple stats like that is so dumb...it's like saying Nick Young is a better player than Harden in OKC.

Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Watch Scott reject the offer
LakersFanMD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject:

HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:

One can only hope...
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject:

LakersFanMD wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:

One can only hope...

..not.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Pau at the time and Kobe wanted the Lakers to run a half court offense. Well, let's welcome back the Princeton offense, folks. But Byron will also have them run too. And welcome home, Byron!
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject:

If he's good enough for Jr., Kareem, Worthy and Coop, he's good enough for me. Jerry would be smiling today.

There are a few laker players with a lot to prove this year, bodes well.
Clutch24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Any information on potential coaches for his staff? Hopefully he can build a good support staff.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:
If he's good enough for Jr., Kareem, Worthy and Coop, he's good enough for me. Jerry would be smiling today.

Then why didn't Dr Buss hire Scott if he wanted him as our coach "Jerry would be smiling today"?

Is this another choice made for Dr. Buss instead of what's best for the Lakers now?

VLF....I'd like to know who in the FO is for getting Scott and who's against it. Also, who wanted Calipari as the HC (offering him big $$ to leave Kentucky now)....Mitch/Jim?
mixtim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject:

multiple rings winner as a player
multiple times fired as a coach
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Jerry put Jim in charge VP of BO, so even if he favored Byron, he allowed Jim to hire Mike Brown.

The one time he went over Jim's head was to fire Brown. He was on board with the D'Antoni hire because he wanted to break the Phil-myth.

Calipari was always on the radar, but he took himself out of the running when he committed to the Harrison twins. If he turned his back on those kids, I'm not sure the lakers would be interested, that's a horrible thing to do.

Jerry wasn't always right, but he was right more than he was wrong.

So, why don't you sit back and see how the season plays out before you call it a lost cause.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:

I liked this move a lot more if we had Pau, because I think Byron understands that old school ball Kobe/Pau want to play. But without Pau and instead a younger core like Lin/Rande, I'm not as sure.

Byron was on my list when I thought we'd have 2 key players as veteran proven all-stars. I'm not as sure with this roster.

Hope it works out, I'll enjoy seeing Byron back. As a head coach though, I'm not sure he is any better than D'Antoni or Brown.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Clutch24 wrote:
Any information on potential coaches for his staff? Hopefully he can build a good support staff.

I heard Gary Payton may join his staff.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
So, why don't you sit back and see how the season plays out before you call it a lost cause

Everyone who has concerns should voice them, but I agree with Luca. Byron should be given a chance/shot to show what he can do, before we jump on him.

I don't argue that he will be a great fit or he is a good head coach. His record and career is average. But we have to wait and see what his game plan is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
purple8goldvanessa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Welcome back Byron Scott!
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:
Jerry put Jim in charge VP of BO, so even if he favored Byron, he allowed Jim to hire Mike Brown.

The one time he went over Jim's head was to fire Brown. He was on board with the D'Antoni hire because he wanted to break the Phil-myth.

Calipari was always on the radar, but he took himself out of the running when he committed to the Harrison twins. If he turned his back on those kids, I'm not sure the lakers would be interested, that's a horrible thing to do.

So, why don't you sit back and see how the season plays out before you call it a lost cause.

ya i don't care....they can't do any better...who is better? G Karl? who is same as MDA? and gets spanked in playoffs?

I seriously want the lakers to give byron on 3yr deal with 3rd being team option
EddieJonesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
Luca Brasi wrote:

ya i don't care....they can't do any better...who is better? G Karl? who is same as MDA? and gets spanked in playoffs?

I seriously want the lakers to give byron on 3yr deal with 3rd being team option

That's a nice conservative contract that the Laker's probably wanted. Byron probably wanted something more like 4 years with the 4th being Byron's option, which would explain why they're taking so long.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
This is another tough job for B, but B will instill the Lakers way of playing, which is playing inspired, tough team first basketball where everyone plays defense.

Hopefully the expectations for B are not go high, because we all know it takes great talent to win in the NBA and this team has decent talent at best.
What will make or break B is if he gets this group playing team ball and that they overachieve, if B does that and management adds talent over the next 3 years we might be able to seriously compete.

If he can instill a team mentality, he will have met my expectations and will make this year worth watching.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:

cgambino123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject:

So Scott's gonna take the job right?
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Hey guys.... Chris Broussard just text me and said that according to his multiple sauces Byron Scott is a smokescreen and the real candidate is Chaz.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Nnamdi21 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
yinoma2001 we all know who you wanted.

we all had our favorites and i really think lakers blew this up just like 10 other things.

its not in our hand. you accept it and deal with it

Don't see what that has to do with anything. I'm talking about Scott, not Ollie. If Ollie were the coach and had this team, same problem. My overall point is that like most average coaches, Scott can only do so much with a poor overall roster. Some here believe he will magically uplift this team to a high level defensive team. With a possible starting backcourt of Kobe/Nash, and with Boozer/undersized center, I don't see how that's possible.

At this point, all I want from Scott is to properly develop Randle and to play through the post for Kobe. That's all we can hope for at this point. The FO made sure that all hope and aspirations were lost with the moves they made. I just hope this coaching decision doesn't come back to bite them like the last two.

They celebrated when drafting Randle but then go ahead and disregard his development when hiring a coach. Strange things happening in Laker land these days.

Disregard Randles development? Strange ideas from Laker fans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 287, 288, 289 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
Page 288 of 301
Jump to: