OFFICIAL COACHING SEARCH THREAD (7/26: Byron Scott Officially Hired, 4 Years 17 Million)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 298, 299, 300, 301  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirby Brian
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject:

shortodom wrote:
Kobe's one of Byrons good friend and he's gonna try his hardest to help him succeed. Plus of course Kobe doesn't want to fail. We'll have a good season

Just like MDA was Kobe's favorite player growing up?
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject:

zoom K083 wrote:
legend825 wrote:
That's not true about Scott's record being misleading. As much as we like to rail on him, Mike Brown had the exact same Cavs team ranked higher in defensive efficiency.

I'm not too excited about the hiring, but you're wrong. Mike brown had Lebron and Scott joined the team the same offseason Lebron left.

Uh, Mike Brown was the coach of the Cavs twice. Both before and after Byron.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject:

The Lakers got Scott for one reason... so he can work his magic like he did with the Nets when they got Kidd.... this isn't a move to tank or anything... the Lakers are expecting a good year.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
24 wrote:
Just a reminder: a lot of teams have won titles with elite talent and decent coaching, while few teams win titles with elite coaching and decent talent...

I have to disagree. Other than Phil/Pop/Riley, the coaches with titles in the last 10-15 years are Larry Brown, Carlisle and Spo.

Maybe this will fall under "semantics" but are Larry Brown (Detroit), Rick Carlisle (Dallas) and even Spo (Miami) decent coaches? I'd say they are better than decent. I would say that the majority of championship teams have better than decent coaches.

Wolf, not sure how you are defining "decent talent," as Spo had Lebron-Wade-Bosh. Likewise, Brown had no franchise talent, but got to roll with Billups-Hamilton-Prince-Wallace-Wallace (w/Okur off the bench). I guess I would call that "decent" if decent means 5 all-stars. Even Carlisle had an HOFer in his prime (Dirk), a post-prime HOFer (Kidd), a DPOY anchor center (Chandler), a 4-time all-star wing in Marion, and a SMOY in Terry. But, I suppose I would put Dallas in the overachieving category that season.

In any case, I think you don't win without elite talent, period. Or, more specifically, franchise players. Go back to 1970 and the number of teams that have won without a definitive franchise talent would probably be, oh, the 1979 Sonics, the 2004 Pistons, and, I would argue, the 2014 Spurs (I would argue that neither Duncan, Manu, or Parker are playing like superstars anymore...and Leonard isn't there yet and probably won't be).
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject:

KobeMania wrote:
shortodom wrote:
Kobe's one of Byrons good friend and he's gonna try his hardest to help him succeed. Plus of course Kobe doesn't want to fail. We'll have a good season

Just like Mr. Potato Head was Kobe's favorite toy growing up?
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject:

Got to love Byron's interview with ESPN. Saying defense will be their #1 focus. Calling on Kobe to toughen players up, and calling out Steve Nash as not being a tough guy, which he is absolutely right. Maybe Nash will get a clue and retire. Wishful thinking on my part.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject:

The real test is when Kobe, Nash, Boozer don't/can't play defense. What does Scott do? Will he let the vets continue playing while not playing defense, which is what's he's preaching, or will there be consequences to not playing defense?
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject:

I hope people are giving Scott a chance... his priority being defense is a very good sign that he's serious about making this work... as much flake as Mike Brown got... the Lakers were a solid defensive team in his first year..

I'm gonna predict that Scott is gonna be in the running for COY... he's gonna do a great job getting the most out of the team.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject:

Has the presser been scheduled yet?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
I hope people are giving Scott a chance... his priority being defense is a very good sign that he's serious about making this work... as much flake as Mike Brown got... the Lakers were a solid defensive team in his first year..

I'm gonna predict that Scott is gonna be in the running for COY... he's gonna do a great job getting the most out of the team.

I'd love to quote this 6 months from now and see which side of the fence you'll be on.

I'm certainly all for giving him a chance. Could use some Lakers pride back again.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
KobeMania wrote:
shortodom wrote:

Just like Mr. Potato Head was Kobe's favorite toy growing up?

Just like Rudy was his favorite movie growing up.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject:

Yinoma - the reason they got Scott is because of his past association with the Lakers... and also because people who are connected with the Lakers history will be even more motivated to get the team back into contention... I think that is why they hired him.... he made a lot of young players develop into good players under his coaching and now he has a chance to bring the Lakers back to glory and he's probably gonna do anything possible to make that happen.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Yinoma - the reason they got Scott is because of his past association with the Lakers... and also because people who are connected with the Lakers history will be even more motivated to get the team back into contention... I think that is why they hired him.... he made a lot of young players develop into good players under his coaching and now he has a chance to bring the Lakers back to glory and he's probably gonna do anything possible to make that happen.

Not sure if you were around for Showtime, but Scott is one of the beloved players. But I think both parties (FO and Scott) entered into this with open eyes. That's why Scott pushed for 3 years guaranteed (which is 1 year more than Kobe's current contract) to ensure he would still get paid if things went south.

Scott has always had a HOF level PG (Irving less so). We have Lin, who is a nice player, but certainly not anywhere near that. Should be interesting. I loved Scott and from that sentimental standpoint, happy to see that vestige of Laker history roaming our sidelines.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject:

Im just excited and hopeful that scott brings that magic touch to lakers basketball... a lot of people are counting the lakers out but no one in there right mind know whats gonna happen and that makes next year a very exciting time for us...
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
zoom K083 wrote:
legend825 wrote:
That's not true about Scott's record being misleading. As much as we like to rail on him, Mike Brown had the exact same Cavs team ranked higher in defensive efficiency.

I'm not too excited about the hiring, but you're wrong. Mike brown had Lebron and Scott joined the team the same offseason Lebron left.

Uh, Mike Brown was the coach of the Cavs twice. Both before and after Byron.

Right. So Brown had the advantage of a young team that had worked through its rookie growing pains. All rookies are pretty bad on defense. Even the ones with obvious talent still need a year or more to become great team defenders.

Scott had to deal with a bunch of 19 and 20 year olds, huge roster changes, along with a mostly injured Varejao. Brown had the benefit of a healthier Varejao and also had Deng for half the season.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
24 wrote:
Just a reminder: a lot of teams have won titles with elite talent and decent coaching, while few teams win titles with elite coaching and decent talent...

I have to disagree. Other than Phil/Pop/Riley, the coaches with titles in the last 10-15 years are Larry Brown, Carlisle and Spo.

Maybe this will fall under "semantics" but are Larry Brown (Detroit), Rick Carlisle (Dallas) and even Spo (Miami) decent coaches? I'd say they are better than decent. I would say that the majority of championship teams have better than decent coaches.

Wolf, not sure how you are defining "decent talent," as Spo had Lebron-Wade-Bosh. Likewise, Brown had no franchise talent, but got to roll with Billups-Hamilton-Prince-Wallace-Wallace (w/Okur off the bench). I guess I would call that "decent" if decent means 5 all-stars. Even Carlisle had an HOFer in his prime (Dirk), a post-prime HOFer (Kidd), a DPOY anchor center (Chandler), a 4-time all-star wing in Marion, and a SMOY in Terry. But, I suppose I would put Dallas in the overachieving category that season.

In any case, I think you don't win without elite talent, period. Or, more specifically, franchise players. Go back to 1970 and the number of teams that have won without a definitive franchise talent would probably be, oh, the 1979 Sonics, the 2004 Pistons, and, I would argue, the 2014 Spurs (I would argue that neither Duncan, Manu, or Parker are playing like superstars anymore...and Leonard isn't there yet and probably won't be).

RG, my man, of course you need great talent. I wasn't implying you don't, was referring to decent coaching. I would call Spo, Carlisle and Larry Brown far better than decent coaches, no?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject:

Bill Fitch, Paul west head, Doc Rivers, and yes, Spolestra, jump to mind. By decent, I meant good wolf, just not head an shoulders above their peers. Take Spolestra, for example. He lost the best player in the game but got himself an all star caliber replacement, and has continuity in a lot of the team that won the east last year. But his team is no longer considered a contender? Why?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject:

Any update on Scott's coaching staff? Specifically in regards to GP?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject:

LA times is reporting this morning that it isnt even official yet.. is it?

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
lugo175
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject:

"GUYS THERE WILL NEVER EVER BE ANOTHER PHIL JACKSON "
lets move on , I know its tuff right now but these negative comments are hurting my heart
lakerhi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject:

Not to rain on Scott hiring but did anyone hear this?
My friend sent me this.
There would've been an mutiny if this happened.

I was listening to Petros and $$$ Thursday, and Money said that their were in-town rumors that the Lakers' real target or at least a favorite, was/is Mark Madsen.

$$$ said they are really intrigued by him becoming the Lakers' head coach one day.

Their only concern was that it would be fair for him as a rookie coach to come in raw and try to coach Kobe and a bunch of retreads and green horns.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject:

Hoping Byron can surprise the majority of us and build a real competitive team here, without wearing out his welcome by becoming too much of a hard-*** on the youngsters and while being able to integrate Kobe's changing skill-set into an efficient, maximized asset for the team.

Also, shamelessly trolling for 300th page here...
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject:

lakerhi wrote:
My friend sent me this.

I was listening to Petros and $$$ Thursday, and Money said that their were in-town rumors that the Lakers' real target or at least a favorite, was/is Mark Madsen.

$$$ said they are really intrigued by him becoming the Lakers' head coach one day.

Their only concern was that it would be fair for him as a rookie coach to come in raw and try to coach Kobe and a bunch of retreads and green horns.

I wanted us to give Madsen a shot. I disagree there would've been a mutiny. We better keep him as an asst with a plan to make him head coach in the future then...since we're afraid to do it now.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject:

Exciting times in LA LA land.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject:

lakerhi wrote:
My friend sent me this.

If this is a real plan to eventually replace Scott, than I have no qualms about this hire or the 3-4 year term.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 298, 299, 300, 301  Next
Page 299 of 301
Jump to: