Who Do You Think Will Be The Next Laker Coach?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who Will It Be?
Byron Scott
32%
 32%  [ 57 ]
Kevin Ollie
28%
 28%  [ 49 ]
Tom Thibodeau
11%
 11%  [ 20 ]
John Calipari
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
Derek Fisher
6%
 6%  [ 12 ]
Jeff Van Gundy
6%
 6%  [ 12 ]
George Karl
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
Kurt Rambis
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Lionel Hollins
4%
 4%  [ 7 ]
Mike Dunleavy
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 173

pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject:

Sccit wrote:
trmiv wrote:
Sccit wrote:
j-dawg wrote:
Looking at these polls, I really dont understand this love affair with Byron Scott.

I also dont live in LA and I am curious what his role is on local TV that has made him so beloved. is he a politician? Because only a politician can get so many people behind him despite a resume of failure as head coach.

If hiring former Lakers is a prerequisite, why not give Norm Nixon a chance too?

And the only name on this list that I would actually take Byron over is Dunleavy.

2 FINALS APPEARANCES AND A RESUME WHICH INCLUDES DEVELOPING THE LIKES OF JASON KIDD, CP3, AND KYRIE IRVING (PLAYED MUCH BETTER UNDER B-SCOTT) IS FAR FROM A FAILURE AS A HEAD COACH.

Sub 500 record oveall. Coached team that set longest losing streak in NBA history. Coached a team that tied the record for the biggest loss in playoff history. Coached a team that was in the bottom 26 defensively for three years.

He may not be a failure, but he sure isn't a success. Lakers need a lot better than "Um.... I guess he'll do" for their next coaching hire.

he was banking on LeBron returning to Cleveland...once that fell through, it was over for him

The poll asks "who do you think WILL be the next Laker coach," not should be. I think pessimism more so than Byron love is prevailing her.
Sccit
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
Too bad you can't vote more than once. Since my first choice seems to be off the table, I'm going to throw my hat into the George Karl ring and quantify that by saying we should do whatever it takes to bring Melo in. Throw Randle in as the draft pick and I think we've got a team that can compete at least until Kobe rides off into the sunset.

only three votes for george karl is pretty strange
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Fred Hoiberg would be a better choice that Ollie if they are going with a current college coach.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Sccit wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
Too bad you can't vote more than once. Since my first choice seems to be off the table, I'm going to throw my hat into the George Karl ring and quantify that by saying we should do whatever it takes to bring Melo in. Throw Randle in as the draft pick and I think we've got a team that can compete at least until Kobe rides off into the sunset.

Bringing in Karl to lure Melo is a terrible idea. Karl has done nothing but criticize Melo ever since he left to New York.
Triple Double
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject:

I read about Billy Donovan flirting with the NBA. That would be a nice start to the rebuild.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject:

I think that Byron Scott will be the chosen one, although i dont agree with it.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject:

Byron Scott.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject:

Sccit wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:

I don't remember hearing that they had interviewed him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject:

Triple Double wrote:
I read about Billy Donovan flirting with the NBA. That would be a nice start to the rebuild.

After flaking on Orlando at the last minute I doubt many franchises will pursue him.
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
I think that Byron Scott will be the chosen one, although i dont agree with it.

Me too. I pray that you are wrong, though. When Rambis was an analyst, he repeated ragged on the system about lack of defense, yet when time for him to do something about it, he virtually had no effect. Granted the man above him had the final say, and the system they ran was counter productive to any defensive setups, nevertheless, I expected a bit more from someone who was adament about fixing the defense the year before.

Scott was this year's analyst complainer on the TWC. In reality, complaining and fixing are worlds apart. His years in cleveland, opponents scored in excess of 100 pts. In NO, he fared better, though.

That said, after a 27 win season, I personally would not hire someone whose last resume included a 24 win season.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject:

Scott under the circumstances would be the best coach for the Lakers. I think he will tolerate not being involved in personal decisions better than any other coaches on the list. All the coaches on the list that are currently unemployed would take the job because it's better getting a paycheck then not getting a paycheck, but guys like Karl will not be happy unless they are involved in the process. I just cannot see any coach enjoying working for the Lakers because of the power struggle that is and has been going on the last two/three years.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject:

It's funny, because I truly think we have the ability to develop an even stronger Dynasty if we add Byron Scott as the coach and here's why.

In 1996 Byron Scott was on his second stint with the Lakers in a 13 year career. Scott had welcomed a couple of Rookies in Derek Fisher and Kobe Bryant and a serious Free Agent pickup in Shaquille ONeil to the team. Also there was Robert Horry, Nick Van Excel, Eddie Jones, Campbell and Cedric Ceballos...

Scott spent that whole year mentoring and helping to groom our players for the championship seasons to come. He spent his last year as a player over seas winning a championship, then immediately after became an assistant coach in the NBA the following year.

The point I want to make is Scott has experience with players, more importantly, our players and I think it would be advantageous of our Front Office to bring in Scott as well as Derek Fisher. Fisher might have the potential to be a good coach one day, but I think he can be a great coach if we prep him correctly and bring him along slowly. After Scott spent a couple of assistant years in Sacramento, he went on to New Jersey had one rebuilding year and then went onto lead his team to two (2) back to back years of Final Competition. Had it had been any other team than San Antonio or the Lakers who knows how things could have ended for him.

Needles to say I think putting Fish at the helm would be premature, but prepping him for future Hall of Fame Coaching could be the best case scenario and worth wild investment. Fish would Kobe at this stage in his career might be a mistake with Fish as the coach, but with Scott as the buffer and to take the responsibility, it could lead to total success!

Scott has the relationship with Kobe that could benefit him, with Scott we could lure Irving and a couple other players to help aide in Kobe's quest for his last possible title.

Head Coach: Byron Scott
Assistant Coach: Derek Fisher
Kyrie Irving (trade pick) + Kobe + Deng + Pau Gasol (Retain for Kobe) + Monroe (FA Pickup)
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
Head Coach: Byron Scott
Assistant Coach: Derek Fisher
Kyrie Irving (trade pick) + Kobe + Deng + Pau Gasol (Retain for Kobe) + Monroe (FA Pickup)

Look at the injury history of the players you've listed. We'd be lucky to see that lineup play more than ten games together. It would be 2012-2013 all over again.

No to Kyrie.
Hell no to Deng.
No to trading the pick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Sccit wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:

I don't remember hearing that they had interviewed him.

I heard last night that they had a call with Karl. Since they didn't interview him, I am guessing he might not have been interested.
Sccit
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject:

Once again, LG knows first
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: