24 Live Another Day 5/5/14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject:

TooCool wrote:
Love 24 to hell and back but sometimes we all have to sit back and just say, "what the heck?" (in a good way)

That's one of the joys of 24.

By the way, what does the quote in your signature refer to? That must be from awhile back.

On a separate subject, I read that Jack's body count is up to 15. I'm setting the over/under for this season at 19.5. Place your bets.
TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
By the way, what does the quote in your signature refer to? That must be from awhile back.

On a separate subject, I read that Jack's body count is up to 15. I'm setting the over/under for this season at 19.5. Place your bets.

Oh man, it's been a long time since I changed my signature. It was when we beat the Jazz in the playoffs and then during the next round, the Lakers were playing really terrible and lost a game. I saw it in the Game Day Thread and thought it was hilarious at the time. Wish I remember what year it was. Has to be around 2009 or 2010.

As for Jack's body count, he will easily reach at least 24. Cheng has tons of red shirts that need to die after all.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject:

I feel like AH should start his episode posts with "Previously on 24..."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject:

Dang, I wish I'd thought of that.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject:

What we learned this week:

The good guys always get screwed.

Jack Bauer is so attuned to the mind of the bad guys that he can find their secret hiding places in seconds. Meanwhile, bad guys always hide their secrets in a place that gives Jack the option to smash something.

Kate Morgan operates at more than one speed. Race across London to find the place where Audrey is held by a sniper? A couple minutes. Move to a good position to shoot the sniper? Well, that takes some time.

Cheng Zhi leaves nothing to chance. He arranges a second shooter to back up the sniper, even though it gains him nothing because the second shooter comes into play only after Audrey is rescued. He brings a small army of thugs with him, in case something goes wrong. And he makes sure that he has a foolproof way out of the country. Oh, wait. Well, two out of three ain't bad. By the way, Cheng, you do realize that the good guys can intercept your ship even after it is at sea, right? This isn't the Lord of the Rings. You aren't sailing into the mists of the West.

The Russkies are pretty slick. Who else would have a team ready to kidnap Chloe in the middle of a raid on a secret getaway ship at the harbor, even after the head Russkie is dead? Hmm. And they managed to get everyone to forget that they conspired with Cheng Zhi to start a war between the US and China. Impressive. (By the way, did I hear them say that the ship was at Southampton? My, London has grown a bit in 2022.)

Swords are standard equipment on Russian cargo ships. Oh, well, Russian ship captains are probably big fans of Game of Thrones. As soon as we saw the sword, we all knew where things were heading, so to speak. Another thing about Russian cargo ships -- there are usually meat cleavers just lying around, too. You never know when you might need to make a quick dinner while leaving port.

By the way, Jack, when you're sneaking around on a Russian cargo ship, don't you think that you should turn off the ring on your cell phone? Yeah, I know, everyone's a critic.

Special thanks to President Heller for telling us about the lighter side of Alzheimer's. He didn't forget about Boudreau, though. I guess he gets a cell next to Navarro. The one bright spot for Boudreau is that he never actually did get Bauerized.

So, who didn't wind up screwed in this season? I guess you'd have to say PM Stephen Fry. He still has the hot blonde aide, and Britain didn't take too much damage. Chloe came out okay, I guess. Remember that she was being tortured when we started. Losing your slimy boyfriend sucks, but on the other hand Jack acknowledged her as his best friend. Jack Bauer's BFF . . . that's a win.

We finally got the time jump! They left the door open to bringing the show back for another run. I'm guessing that this was it, though. It would be a perfect 24 ending -- we saved the world, but everyone involved paid the price. That's how we roll in the 24-verse.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Poor Jack, if anyone deserves the right to commit suicide, it is him. He loses everyone he ever loved. Jack the tortured soul.

RIP 24

It's been an awesome ride.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject:

I'm left wanting more!

12 episodes felt like such a tease.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject:

It's really tough to say anything meaningful after AH's recaps.

I thought it was a great finale, and the previous episode was fantastic, too. It made up for a bunch of mediocre episodes earlier in the season.

Kiefer displayed probably his best acting of the entire series when he found out about Audrey. I almost started crying. It was an understated, but authentic moment of pure grief. And his sudden transformation into Bauermode was great and very believable. But I wouldn't have minded if he had killed himself there. But he still had Chloe to save, since it was pretty obvious Chloe was too exposed and was going to get captured at some point, even if the whole thing, as mentioned in a previous post, didn't make any sense.

Heller's conversation with the PM was nicely done. But damn, I thought Stephen Fry's acting was just abysmal and totally unbelievable throughout this season. Seemed he always had a little smirk on his face.

It was always a bit funny to me how quickly people got over deaths in the 24verse. Audrey is visibly shaken when the sniper's is on her. Few minutes later, she gets rescued and gets asked if she's okay and says she's fine. A more natural reaction would be, "are you (bleep) kidding me? My good friend was just shot by a sniper in front me!" or something like that. So when you do see emotion, such as when Jack found out, it's a bit strange but really impactful.

Anyway, not sure I can take a spinoff, even if Kate's in it. The concept has been done to death, and the main reason why I watched it was because of the comedy and Jack, in addition to loyalty.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

I thought it was a great finale, and the previous episode was fantastic, too. It made up for a bunch of mediocre episodes earlier in the season.

Kiefer displayed probably his best acting of the entire series when he found out about Audrey. I almost started crying. It was an understated, but authentic moment of pure grief. And his sudden transformation into Bauermode was great and very believable. But I wouldn't have minded if he had killed himself there. But he still had Chloe to save, since it was pretty obvious Chloe was too exposed and was going to get captured at some point, even if the whole thing, as mentioned in a previous post, didn't make any sense.

Heller's conversation with the PM was nicely done. But damn, I thought Stephen Fry's acting was just abysmal and totally unbelievable throughout this season. Seemed he always had a little smirk on his face.

It was always a bit funny to me how quickly people got over deaths in the 24verse. Audrey is visibly shaken when the sniper's is on her. Few minutes later, she gets rescued and gets asked if she's okay and says she's fine. A more natural reaction would be, "are you (bleep) kidding me? My good friend was just shot by a sniper in front me!" or something like that. So when you do see emotion, such as when Jack found out, it's a bit strange but really impactful.

Anyway, not sure I can take a spinoff, even if Kate's in it. The concept has been done to death, and the main reason why I watched it was because of the comedy and Jack, in addition to loyalty.

Can't fault him for being British.

I would take a 24 with Kate just because it's Yvonne.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
He loses everyone he ever loved.

*screeeeeeeech*

Hang on! We do need one more season after all. Elisha Cuthbert has to die. Of course, a lot of people were saying the same thing when she was a series regular, but this time we mean business.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
But damn, I thought Stephen Fry's acting was just abysmal and totally unbelievable throughout this season. Seemed he always had a little smirk on his face.

Stephen Fry was comically miscast in that role. That was the equivalent of casting Steve Martin as Heller. Or even better, casting Hugh Laurie with an American accent as Heller. But most people love Stephen Fry, so we sort of overlooked the absurdity. It's 24, after all. Hermione's mom was a terrorist.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject:

My picks for the top five 24 moments of the season:

#1: The missiles from the drone blow up a hospital, but when one hits next to Jack's car, the car just shrugs it off.

#2: The RAF is unable to find a fleet of drones that are over England in broad daylight, in some cases actually firing missiles.

#3: Chloe hacks into the closed circuit security cameras and finds Terrorist Daughter, even though she doesn't know what she looks like, by identifying the briefcase.

#4: Jack outraces Terrorist Daughter across London at mid-day, even though Terrorist Daughter is on a subway train with a headstart of several minutes.

#5: After being sent to stop Jack Bauer at all costs, and after losing a bunch of their men, the MI-5 guys just let Jack walk out, taking his henchman with him.

#6: Cheng thinks he is going to escape England on a cargo ship.

#7: Shortly before dying, Adrian decides to mention that he saw a memo saying that Chloe's husband and child really did die accidentally. He doesn't mention exactly who wrote the memo or why anyone would have investigated this. It must have been Ed Snowden.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
He loses everyone he ever loved.

*screeeeeeeech*

Hang on! We do need one more season after all. Elisha Cuthbert has to die. Of course, a lot of people were saying the same thing when she was a series regular, but this time we mean business.

Jack doesn't love his daughter. Sorry. Cougars failed!!
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

if by recaps you mean whining about every single episode, then i totally agree.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:

Wow, that's pretty sad.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

Wow, that's pretty sad.

Well, I enjoyed them. Thought you had a nice little innovation and they were pretty funnytrue.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Always funny to me how they get to every place in 2 minutes, or everthing is along the way, like injured Chloe. I wish my errands would be so easily planned.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

Wow, that's pretty sad.

Well, I enjoyed them. Thought you had a nice little innovation and they were pretty funnytrue.

He missed the point of the recaps. He thought they were "whining." That's sad. Fortunately, the rest of you seem to have understood the spirit of my recaps just fine.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
focus wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

Wow, that's pretty sad.

He missed the point of the recaps. He thought they were "whining." That's sad. Fortunately, the rest of you seem to have understood the spirit of my recaps just fine.

Absolutely, always looked forward to your observations each week. They were so entertaining that I wish there had been recaps since the inception of 24 back when some of us huddled around alt.tv.twenty-four.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
focus wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

Wow, that's pretty sad.

keep it up. i do enjoy the recaps. whining or not.

thanks AH!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject:

^^^^

I wish I could keep it up. But we now live in the post-24 world. *sob*
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject:

I don't know why they wouldn't do more.

You don't send (bleep) to some Russian gulag and end the series like that.

This isn't the last we've seen of Jack Bauer.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject:

lol....apparently the phrase "j.a.c.k o.f.f" gets filtered
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject:

There is hope.

Quote:
Showrunners Evan Katz and Manny Coto say more 24 is definitely a possibility.

"All it really takes is a story that fires us up. That's what got us excited about doing this season," Coto told The Hollywood Reporter during a call with reporters. "I think what would draw us back if that were ever to happen – and that's definitely up in the air – would be we or somebody presents an interesting take on Jack, on Jack's character, and where he is, which would suggest a great season."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/24-live-day-showrunners-finale-718507
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject:

I always wanted the show to feature Jack escaping from a prison or saving someone from a dangerous situation. The whole terrorism/Jack saving the world thing has been done so many times, there isn't anything interesting to tell. Even this year, even though they focused on drones and London, it felt like every previous season.

I'd definitely watch Jack plan and then execute an escape from a Russian prison.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9
Jump to: