Godzilla
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Despite my negative comment I made earlier about it being to 'fake' for me to watch, I went and watched it with my girlfriend and I really enjoyed it.

I'm actually quite glad there was much more story to this movie rather than just Godzilla fighting the whole time. I think the build up was perfect. I'm not a huge Godzilla fan so i'm not one of those "oh em gee this movie is so boring, so much talking, show godzilla already" kind of person. Well done I must say. My girlfriend who was more reluctant to watching it than me actually said she thought the movie was really good.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Saw it. Liked it. Dat HALO jump.

Agree that the human parts could have been done a bit better or at least make the lead less boring. But then again, the one thing that could possibly make said lead interesting leaves the movie pretty quickly.

Despite that, good stuff, will watch again.

!...
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Apparently Godzilla still has all the IMAX theaters this weekend. XMEN are not on IMAX which blows.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
Apparently Godzilla still has all the IMAX theaters this weekend. XMEN are not on IMAX which blows.

Do you live in LA?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject:

Godzilla was good - but then again I liked all the monster movies growing up. Even the 1998 one wasn't bad. I liked the way they portrayed Godzilla as being here to restore balance, not attacking the humans. Though lots of great collateral damage.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Fallout wrote:

Do you live in LA?

i went to the Cinemark(formerly Rave) at Howard Hughs. They recently renovated the IMAX theater to an XD theater. I saw Spiderman 2, Godzilla and X-Men DOFP and notice that although it does still have the massive screen, the picture isn't taking up the whole screen. Were none of these movies shot in 70MM at all or is Cinemark just skimping on this because most people wont notice?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
C M B wrote:
Fallout wrote:

Do you live in LA?

i went to the Cinemark(formerly Rave) at Howard Hughs. They recently renovated the IMAX theater to an XD theater. I saw Spiderman 2, Godzilla and X-Men DOFP and notice that although it does still have the massive screen, the picture isn't taking up the whole screen. Were none of these movies shot in 70MM at all or is Cinemark just skimping on this because most people wont notice?

Yeah, I heard about that. It's likely a combo of both. There's really little difference between Regal's RPX, Cinemark's XD, and AMC's ETX. Which is why unfortunately, I'll have to travel to Irvine to see Interstellar in it's true full IMAX glory.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
C M B wrote:
Fallout wrote:

Do you live in LA?

Yeah, I heard about that. It's likely a combo of both. There's really little difference between Regal's RPX, Cinemark's XD, and AMC's ETX. Which is why unfortunately, I'll have to travel to Irvine to see Interstellar in it's true full IMAX glory.

I dunno, I noticed a difference between all 4(Del Amo AMC IMAX, Howard Hughs Rave IMAX, Howard Hughs XD and Irvine Regal RPX). The Rave IMAX is by far the best. The others are all better than a regular theater but not mind blowing. I may have to start driving out to Universal City Walk IMAX for the big movies. The main reason I go to HH now instead of the closer Del Amo is the reserved seating. Sure the experience is a little better with a nicer screen and speakers but the biggest upside is knowing I can have exactly the seat I want without getting there an hour or 2 early.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
rwongega wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
C M B wrote:
Fallout wrote:

Do you live in LA?

I dunno, I noticed a difference between all 4(Del Amo AMC IMAX, Howard Hughs Rave IMAX, Howard Hughs XD and Irvine Regal RPX). The Rave IMAX is by far the best. The others are all better than a regular theater but not mind blowing. I may have to start driving out to Universal City Walk IMAX for the big movies. The main reason I go to HH now instead of the closer Del Amo is the reserved seating. Sure the experience is a little better with a nicer screen and speakers but the biggest upside is knowing I can have exactly the seat I want without getting there an hour or 2 early.

Well, yea, Rave IMAX was the best around and was my mainstay in college. AMC IMAX is fake IMAX, as is RPX and ETX, but the tech is still the same as XD. Screen sizes vary because some are old converted IMAX screens while others are newly built. It could be that XD at HH is just reusing the old IMAX screen but now without the IMAX films (i.e. the film doesn't cover the most or all of the screen and is just a blown up version). The other XD I went to, which didn't start out as another company's theater, was a fake IMAX screen. Just wish Irvine IMAX had reserved seats.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Anyone here feel IMAX is overrated? I haven't been to many so I cannot present a valid opinion.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:
Anyone here feel IMAX is overrated? I haven't been to many so I cannot present a valid opinion.

Depends on the movie. When I saw The Dark Knight and TDKR in IMAX, the IMAX scenes were great. When Jurassic Park was released in IMAX 3D last year it was the best movie experience I've ever had; literally felt like I was there.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject:

ARCLIGHT

Flawless projection

The best sound in the damned city (state? world?)

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:

Fake IMAX's are completely overrated. But if you're lucky enough to find a true IMAX theater, the differences are night and day when a movie that's filmed with IMAX cameras is being played. It can also depend on where you sit as well.

This list is somewhat up to date with the theaters in the US who are true IMAX (look for anything without a D, which is a fake IMAX screen, preferably find something with 1570 with Dig or 4K). http://lfexaminer.com/theaUSA.htm

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
xxsicrokerxx wrote:

Fake IMAX's are completely overrated. But if you're lucky enough to find a true IMAX theater, the differences are night and day when a movie that's filmed with IMAX cameras is being played. It can also depend on where you sit as well.

This list is somewhat up to date with the theaters in the US who are true IMAX (look for anything without a D, which is a fake IMAX screen, preferably find something with 1570 with Dig or 4K). http://lfexaminer.com/theaUSA.htm

I'm really picky about the quality of screen and audio, but I don't think the fake IMAX's are overrated. ETX/RPX or whatever IMO is on par with a true IMAX screen. I think audio is definitely as good if not better in some of these fake IMAX's. Has anyone been to the AMC Prime yet? I believe these took over the ETX. I'm going to check out X-men at Burbank, so hopefully there is a difference from their previous ETX.
Chewbacca
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject:

heard this movie sux
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject:

is the arclight in pasadena good?
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject:

Chewbacca wrote:
heard this movie sux

It was OK. It was one of those movies I wouldn't see it again, but I didn't think it was a waste of time either. Some stunning visual effects and they try and pay homage to the theme of past Godzilla movies.

It didn't even dawn on me til the movie was half over the star was that kid from Kick-Ass.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject:

Chewbacca wrote:
heard this movie sux

Maybe you should see it for yourself and make your own decision.
lakershead22
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject:

Watched it yesterday and really liked it.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:53 am    Post subject:

Godzilla II

Charles Dance

Ken Watanabe

Mothra

Rodan

f'ing Ghidora

easter eggs and homages

fan service done properly

killer sound, pretty good CGI and sound design ☑

boston getting destroyed

interesting dialogue

sweet monster battles
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject:

oh man first movie im excited to see in 2 years
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
oh man first movie im excited to see in 2 years

it's the best action/comic book/scifi flick in that period by far
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject:

Was this movie any good? I have never seen a good Godzilla movie in my life, and I enjoyed Pacific Rim a lot more than any of those movies.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject:

This is pretty similar in action to Pacific Rim. Pretty good. Lots of action and monsters. Not too slow with the human drama.

I wanna see how they do King Kong vs Godzilla next year.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject:

I wish that they wouldn't do constant cuts during the fight scenes. A couple nice wide shots without constant cuts would have been dope. But can't complain. It was a good Godzilla movie. Guess next one is gonna be Kong and Godzilla vs Mecha King Ghidorah?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: