LA Times: Steve Ballmer to buy the Clippers for $2 billion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: LA Times: Steve Ballmer to buy the Clippers for $2 billion

Quote:
Report: Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to buy Los Angeles Clippers for a record $2 billion - @latimes http://lat.ms/1pp9ymm

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/472152253055631360

Last edited by 32 on Thu May 29, 2014 4:13 pm; edited 5 times in total
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject:

That happened quickly. Donald Sterling needs to sign off though and who knows what he's thinking right now.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject:

So the Seattle group loses a big money player in attracting a team back to Seattle and Ballmer becomes one of the elite club of rich guys with an NBA team.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully, he manages the Clippers as well as he managed Microsoft.

Quote:
"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance" - Steve Ballmer, 2007

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject:

@Rachel__Nichols

Quote:
Deal still needs Donald Sterling's signature for NBA to okay.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject:

I wonder how much FOX Sports or TWC is going to bid for the Clippers local TV rights....
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I wonder how much FOX Sports or TWC is going to bid for the Clippers local TV rights....

It will be competitive with the Lakers deal I am sure. They are the better team, and have the better trajectory at the moment.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
So the Seattle group loses a big money player in attracting a team back to Seattle and Ballmer becomes one of the elite club of rich guys with an NBA team.

He can't move the team to Seattle?
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Hopefully, he manages the Clippers as well as he managed Microsoft.

Quote:
"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance" - Steve Ballmer, 2007

You mean with record profits and revenue?
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject:

I hope he moves the team to Anaheim or something. Or at least out of Staples Center!
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
I hope he moves the team to Anaheim or something. Or at least out of Staples Center!

that would be the smart business move. those rich suckers in anaheim will pay out the nose for new "anaheim" clippers gear.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

that would be the smart business move. those rich suckers in anaheim will pay out the nose for new "anaheim" clippers gear.

Ballmer has already said he will keep it in LA and THATS the smart business move. They don't go for anywhere NEAR 2B in any other market.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Source says that LAT jumped the gun on reporting the sale. News was leaked to LAT by another bidder, source said.

https://twitter.com/dakotacdsmith/status/472159672770641920
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Ballmer may not be a good CEO for microsoft, but he has a hell of a lot more business experience than most NBA owners and especially Jim Buss (I guess).

Also his pockets are deeper than many NBA owners and especially Jim Buss (I guess).

Not a good thing.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

It will be competitive with the Lakers deal I am sure. They are the better team, and have the better trajectory at the moment.

I kinda doubt the Clippers will get a deal anything close to the Lakers. Lakers deal was struck based on legacy, Clippers have no legacy well Sterling.

Coach Wooden
tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject:

He still refusing to sell..

Quote:
Andrea Chang ‏@byandreachang 22m

Sterling's lawyer just told me, in Sterling's driveway, "My belief is he will not sell this team."
tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 1m

RT @ramonashelburne: Donald Sterling's lawyer Max Blecher tells ESPN he has not signed off on any sale

Quote:
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 52s

RT @darrenrovell: David Geffen confirms his group that included Larry Ellison, Oprah & Laurene Jobs has withdrawn from Clippers bidding
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

Ballmer has already said he will keep it in LA and THATS the smart business move. They don't go for anywhere NEAR 2B in any other market.

same tv market. they could even keep the "LA" tag like the angels.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:
Ballmer may not be a good CEO for microsoft, but he has a hell of a lot more business experience than most NBA owners and especially Jim Buss (I guess).

Also his pockets are deeper than many NBA owners and especially Jim Buss (I guess).

Not a good thing.

Depending on the source, Ballmer might very well be THE richest owner.
tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Maury Brown @BizballMaury ยท 50m

Let's just say this now... if the Lakers hit the market today, they'd go for $7 billion. I'm not joking.

Quote:
Andrea Chang ‏@byandreachang 5m

Sterling's lawyer repeatedly said, "There's been no sale. There's been no sale. There can be no sale without Donald's signature."

Quote:
mike james ‏@LATimesjames 7m

Word now is the contract is not signed for the Clippers, but Ballmer appears to have won the bid: http://lat.ms/1gFD04T
ForumBlueFrank
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

You are kidding yourself if you actually believe that. Have you seen the Clippers local ratings? No one watches them. They will get nothing close to what the TWC deal is. Steve is overpaying because he simply wants to own an NBA team, not because it's market rate.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject:

ForumBlueFrank wrote:
BennyLava wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

You are kidding yourself if you actually believe that. Have you seen the Clippers local ratings? No one watches them. They will get nothing close to what the TWC deal is. Steve is overpaying because he simply wants to own an NBA team, not because it's market rate.

They get crappy ratings because Sterling hasn't built up the value of the team. Instead of building a winning franchise, during most of his ownership he used it as a profit center. Under somebody like Ballmer, they would have no problem putting money into the team and raising the profile of the franchise. Maybe it won't ever get the ratings of the Lakers in LA, but with better ownership, they can definitely improve the value of the franchise. This is also why the NBA wants to get rid of Sterling because he has been dragging down the value of the franchise for years, which also effects the other teams around the league as well.

Last edited by lakersken80 on Thu May 29, 2014 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Clippers had their windows this season but now they will never get to the finals.
tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Rachel Nichols ‏@Rachel__Nichols 3m

Donald Sterling's lawyer maintained to CNN today that Donald still doesn't want to sell. We'll see if he sticks to that in the coming days
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ForumBlueFrank wrote:
BennyLava wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

They get crappy ratings because Sterling hasn't built up the value of the team. Instead of building a winning franchise, during most of his ownership he used it as a profit center. Under somebody like Ballmer, they would have no problem putting money into the team and raising the profile of the franchise. Maybe it won't ever get the ratings of the Lakers in LA, but with better ownership, they can definitely improve the value of the franchise. This is also why the NBA wants to get rid of Sterling because he has been dragging down the value of the franchise for years, which also effects the other teams around the league as well.

why would the owners care suddenly if the clippers are successful, which they are now anyway? for years that organization was the farm system for the rest of the league. it was a perfect setup for everybody.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: