LA Times: Steve Ballmer to buy the Clippers for $2 billion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Bye-bye competitive advantage over the Clips.

That's fine. But you still have Yankees/Mets in NYC, and Yankees have a far greater presence here.

if Mets get a new high profile owner with deep pocket and that will slowly changing. but Lakers to LA isn't on par with Yankees to NYC, not even close.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject:

this whole thing smells fishy as hell. i would not be surprised the league orchestrated everything in order to push out the only thing that can stop this Clipper momentum.

Clippers don't deserve this, they deserve to be play in LA or SD sports arena in front of 10k fans nightly and wasting top 3 picks year after year. i'm so pissed now.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

That's fine. But you still have Yankees/Mets in NYC, and Yankees have a far greater presence here.

if Mets get a new high profile owner with deep pocket and that will slowly changing. but Lakers to LA isn't on par with Yankees to NYC, not even close.

Huh? I have lived in both locations and my observation is that they are similar levels of franchises. Yes, Yankees have been around longer, but the general impact is the same. Clips, like the Mets, may win a world series but it is not even a question about whether NYC is a Yankees town.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Huh? I have lived in both locations and my observation is that they are similar levels of franchises. Yes, Yankees have been around longer, but the general impact is the same. Clips, like the Mets, may win a world series but it is not even a question about whether NYC is a Yankees town.

My comment wasn't about it being a Laker town. My point was in the past if you wanted to get to the LA market it was all about one team as the Clippers were a joke of a franchise. There was no competition for the Lakers. Now there "appears to be" a viable option.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

My comment wasn't about it being a Laker town. My point was in the past if you wanted to get to the LA market it was all about one team as the Clippers were a joke of a franchise. There was no competition for the Lakers. Now there "appears to be" a viable option.

Maybe but still a bit premature. But certainly they've turned the page.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Was hoping to see Sterling retain control of the team so that the legal, media circus would at least be entertaining.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

It's been that way since the CP3 trade, under the brilliant command of a racist owner. This deal does nothing really, aside from pump up the value of the Lakers franchise.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

It's been that way since the CP3 trade, under the brilliant command of a racist owner. This deal does nothing really, aside from pump up the value of the Lakers franchise.

Going from a cheap owner to one worth $21B does nothing for a team?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Ask Brooklyn fans.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject:

I hope ballner moves them to Seattle. Just get them the (bleep) out of here
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:

That would have been a bigger deal 10 years ago. In recent years, the Clippers have spent pretty generously, so I doubt Ballmer's big wallet will make much of a difference.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

That would have been a bigger deal 10 years ago. In recent years, the Clippers have spent pretty generously, so I doubt Ballmer's big wallet will make much of a difference.

And in recent years the Clippers have been a quality landing spot for players, as opposed to how it used to be. That's my point. It used to be the Lakers and a JV team that nobody cared to go to. That may no longer be the case.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

The other owners would never allow a team to leave the #2 market to go to a market that isn't even in the top 10. Plus they would then have to start cutting the franchise a check for revenue sharing. Aren't the Clippers one of the teams that can't receive one due to the size of the market?
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject:

So the devil we've known for 23 years is gone, and has been replaced by a devil we have yet to know.

And sometimes, the old saying goes, the devil you know may be better than the devil you don't know.

I hope Ballmer turns out to be a better franchise owner than Sterling, for the sake of the long suffering Clippers fans and players.

But at this point, to me, he's merely the devil I don't know.

Let's see what the future brings.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Clippers aren't moving anywhere...their TV deal is up for bidding its bound to be inflated due to the fact that its the only remaining major sports property left in the vicinity that isn't signed yet.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Clippers aren't moving anywhere...their TV deal is up for bidding its bound to be inflated due to the fact that its the only remaining major sports property left in the vicinity that isn't signed yet.

You're probably right, but it'd be so cool if they moved to Anaheim and became the basketball version of the Angels and Ducks. They certainly don't belong up here.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

Sure, Ballmer just paid $2 billion for the Clippers, so it's logical that he'll instantly reduce their value by 60% by moving them from Los Angeles to Seattle.
LGmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject:

His legacy is more important to ballmer than money at this point in his life. He wants to be remembered as the man who brought back the NBA to Seattle. It's a toy ..not an invesment for SB.

But who knows lol
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject:

LGmachine wrote:
His legacy is more important to ballmer than money at this point in his life. He wants to be remembered as the man who brought back the NBA to Seattle. It's a toy ..not an invesment for SB.

But who knows lol

Why do the other owners, who would have to approve a team leaving the #2 market for one that's not in the top 10, care about his legacy?
LGmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Because they will start kissing his a$$ for driving the value of their franchises UP.
EZ-Ryder
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Exactly. Before if a player wanted to play in la there was really only one option even though there was 2 teams. Clippers games weren't shown on tv, they were a laughingstock, they had a bad owner, and if you played for them you didn't receive the same celebrity status you would playing for the lakers so most players never considered them. Now it's going to be different. Even though it's still a laker town the clippers are the hottest show in town. Blake griffin and chris Paul are bigger deals here than anyone on the lakers besides Kobe. If this deal had gone on when the clippers were still a bad team I wouldn't think it would matter, but it happened when the clippers are really good and a media darling. The clippers are going to be like a brand new team to the future generations of nba players.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject:

When you think about it, Blake Griffin is responsible for hundreds of millions of dollars, as far as that teams valuation, and as far as money in the Sterling family's pockets. Without Blake, they don't get CP3, and don't enjoy their recent success.

Can you honestly not say that Blake Griffin was responsible for 0.5 - 1 billion dollars? I can't see the Clippers being worth more than 1 billion without he, CP3, and the success they brought. Weird...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Clippers aren't worth $2 billion.......they only got that much because one of the richest people in America wanted a toy for his post-Microsoft career.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject:

LGmachine wrote:

But who knows lol

Ballmer got forced out of Microsoft (for basically the equivalent of turning the lakers into the clippers), his attachment to Seattle isn't that high anymore.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
LGmachine wrote:

But who knows lol

Ballmer got forced out of Microsoft (for basically the equivalent of turning the lakers into the clippers), his attachment to Seattle isn't that high anymore.

Not to mention his son goes to USC, so he's got some connections to LA.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: