What does Sacre need to become "more than serviceable"?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: What does Sacre need to become "more than serviceable"?

Hi Everyone,

Robert Sacre seems to stick around on the Lakers for one reason or another.

Just about everyone says that he's "serviceable" or a decent third string center.

The impression I get about Sacre is he's tough, strong, tries on defense, is not afraid to take a charge....and is relatively intelligent on the court.

Last season we saw him improve his finishing (started to dunk the ball more)....he said in an interview that the NBA level training really helped his athleticism.

He has a decent mid range shot.

Seems like he sets decent screens.

He can hit free throws

What does he need to develop or improve upon (within reason) to become more than serviceable.

Maybe he can develop a hook shot?

You guys were talking about how you don't have to block a lot of shots to be a rim protector.

Why can't he become like that other 7 foot guy who can't jump very high, but is a good shooter, great defender and great passer....Marc Gasol? Wishful thinking?
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject:

Sacre isn't like Marc because he just isn't very talented. He's a hard worker and that's what makes him serviceable, but its very very doubtful he could get to Marc's level regardless of how hard he works.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject:

Sacre works hard but yeah, the talent just isn't there. Sacre is what, 3 years in? And now the cuteness of his hustle will wane as he gets further into his career.

He should develop that mid-range game at this point. Don't think he'll be much of a post player.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: What does Sacre need to become "more than serviceable"?

Lakerpark wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Robert Sacre seems to stick around on the Lakers for one reason or another.

Just about everyone says that he's "serviceable" or a decent third string center.

The impression I get about Sacre is he's tough, strong, tries on defense, is not afraid to take a charge....and is relatively intelligent on the court.

Last season we saw him improve his finishing (started to dunk the ball more)....he said in an interview that the NBA level training really helped his athleticism.

He has a decent mid range shot.

Seems like he sets decent screens.

He can hit free throws.

What does he need to develop or improve upon (within reason) to become more than serviceable.

Maybe he can develop a hook shot?

You guys were talking about how you don't have to block a lot of shots to be a rim protector.

Why can't he become like that other 7 foot guy who can't jump very high, but is a good shooter, great defender and great passer....Marc Gasol? Wishful thinking?
I don't know. Maybe their standing reach is different?
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject:

In order for him to be more serviceable he should goto the Euro league. His game is more suited and he will get more money over time...
Not cut out for NBA style basketball...
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject:

Players who shoot a hook shot add to their effectiveness. If he'd practice Mikan drills, shooting left and right handed shots under the basket, going from side to side, he would be a lot more effective than he is now.

He reminds me of Brad Miller, a non athletic guy who eventually became a a really good shooter. He was a scrub in Chicago when Shaq swung at him, then he was a force in Sacramento because he perfected his outside shot on a team full of shooters. Sacre can shoot better with continuous practice. Then he he could practice up and under moves. That and hook shots with both hands would make him "more than serviceable".
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject:

Scrub I put him in the same tier as most of these D-league players we had this last season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject:

If he improves as much from the past season as he did from 2012-2013 to 2013-2014, then he will be a great player to have on the roster. Mainly he needs to improve his rebounding.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject:

I don't know very many other third string centers better than him. I don't see the problem. He's perfectly fine as an end of the bench guy. People here loved Ronny Turiaf. Aside from the over-exaggerated blocks I don't see much difference in terms of talent.
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject:

Sacre improved a ton from his first year to his second. He dramatically improved his fg% and basically every important stat on a per minute basis.

In March and April he started getting more minutes and ended up getting about 21 minutes per game for 23 games to finish the season. Over that time span he averaged about 7.4/5.3.

I'd had absolutely 0 problem letting him have 20mpg+ off the bench next year and seeing if he continues to improve (depending on who else is added to the team obviously).

If he improves even slightly this coming year, there is no reason why he can't be our #2 center off the bench for a long time.
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject:

Sacre is who Sacre is.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject:

He needs to simplify his game. He's probably trying to learn a little of this, a little of that. No time for that. I'd focus on:

1. setting great screens;
2. mid-range shot;
3. defensive rebounding.

Keep it simple.
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Players who shoot a hook shot add to their effectiveness. If he'd practice Mikan drills, shooting left and right handed shots under the basket, going from side to side, he would be a lot more effective than he is now.

It's funny you mention that ... I've seen him doing that very drill in warmups before the game.[/quote]
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
He needs to simplify his game. He's probably trying to learn a little of this, a little of that. No time for that. I'd focus on:

2. mid-range shot;
3. defensive rebounding.

Keep it simple.

this. unless there's some magic way he can learn to get more athletic. the scientology 7-step course, perhaps...
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject:

Comment removed.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject:

I wonder if there has ever been a "not so talented" player who became a decent starter through hard work?
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
I wonder if there has ever been a "not so talented" player who became a decent starter through hard work?

Does Splitter qualify?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:

PJ Brown.
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

2. mid-range shot;
3. defensive rebounding.

Keep it simple.

Agreed. 75%+ FTs wouldnt' hurt, either.
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject:

He is a big and strong but he isn't a shot blocker or a great rebounder. That's what he needs to improve to become serviceable.

His offensive improvements are just bonuses.
PupNamedHector
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject:

Did you just put Marc Gasol and Sacre in the same paragraph?

Sacre is a bonafide SCRUB. There's nothing that could be done other than a miracle that would make him anything other than a SCRUB.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Rebounding, Rebounding, Rebounding.

Effort, mobility and size allows him to be a very good position defender. Decent touch on his shot and just needs to get a bit more consistent with that. But the glaring answer to the question is improving his rebounding.

One thing I've observed is that he doesn't appear to have good awareness of where he is on the court. His activity is great, but it also leaves him all over the place especially when there's a focus switch from defending to rebounding. He generally turns and runs to the rim. Given his lack of jumping ability and arm length, that doesn't buy him a lot of rebounding territory. Guys with his skillset are better off looking for someone to box out and securing his side of the board. As long as that's a team concept it works, especially if you have a good rebounder at one of the other forward spots. If someone gets an offensive board, make the physical play to deter that some (there's often a scrum on offensive rebounds, at least those under the rim).
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject:

I don't think the talent is there to do much else. Throwing Marc Gasol in there is definitely wishful thinking, yes. I don't see Sacre even reaching a Noah level, personally, but it'd be great if he did.

It's ok to just be "serviceable". Lots of players have had solid careers that way. Not everyone needs to be a star or a 6th man, etc.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
I don't think the talent is there to do much else. Throwing Marc Gasol in there is definitely wishful thinking, yes. I don't see Sacre even reaching a Noah level, personally, but it'd be great if he did.

It's ok to just be "serviceable". Lots of players have had solid careers that way. Not everyone needs to be a star or a 6th man, etc.

Even reaching a Noah level? Lol. There aren't too many players on Noah's level.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:

Actually, I was thinking more of a Kwame Brown with some brains and hands. But hopefully someday with similar defense.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: