Sign-and-Trade Gasol for Expiring Deals

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Sign-and-Trade Gasol for Expiring Deals

Lakers currently have cap space this offseason (2014), however, I don't see a lot of superstar players that would turn the franchise around except for Lebron. If we don't expect to sign Lebron this offseason (which chances are we won't) I think Lakers should plan to get maximum cap space for the 2015 season. To help with this, Lakers should do a sign and trade with the Bulls for Gasol.

Bulls: Gasol ($7million, 3 year contract)
Lakers: Carlos Boozer (expiring $15.3m), Mike Dunleavy (expiring $2.8m), Tony Snell (expiring club option, $1.5m), and Taj Gibson (3 years remaining at around $8m per year).

Bulls will get Gasol to play alongside Joakim Noah. They will have about $18m in cap space after the trade which will be used to sign Carmelo Anthony. This deal is good for the Bulls because they keep Jimmy Butler.
Starting Line-up: Rose, Butler, Anthony, Gasol, Noah

Lakers currently have only Kobe, Nash, and Sacre under contract for about $34.1m. After the trade, they will have contracts worth about $64.7m (includes 7th round pick). Assuming salary cap of $70m, they will have $5m to sign a free agent. If they only sign players to 1 year deals in the 2014 offseason, Lakers will have about $36.2m under contract (Kobe, Gibson, 7th round pick) and bout $35m under the cap for the 2015 offseason.

Lakers can also flip Gibson for an expiring deal and draft picks to get further under the cap in 2015 by about $8million.

2014 starting line-up: Nash, Kobe, SF?, Gibson, Boozer/Sacre.
2015 starting line-up: Kobe and whatever $35-$43m can get you.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject:

My thoughts on other rumors.

Lakers help Warriors get Love by offering 7th pick for Klay Thompson. I hope Lakers do not do this. I don't have much faith in Klay to be a superstar as he cannot consistently create for himself or others due to his below average dribbling ability.

Lakers trade Nash and 7th Pick for MCW and Thaddeus Young. I would be okay with this trade and would try to trade Thaddeus Young for expiring contracts, draft picks, or young talent.

If Lakers don't get either Vonleh, Smart, Randle, or Embiid with the 7th pick, I would prefer they trade it or even trade down. I like Dario Saric who supposedly has a promise to be drafted at #11 by the Nuggets.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Sign-and-Trade Gasol for Expiring Deals

chekmatex4 wrote:
Assuming salary cap of $70m, they will have $5m to sign a free agent. If they only sign players to 1 year deals in the 2014 offseason, Lakers will have about $36.2m under contract (Kobe, Gibson, 7th round pick) and bout $35m under the cap for the 2015 offseason.

Do you have a link to a respected web site that discusses $70 million as the probably Salary Cap for the 2014 - 2015 season?
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sign-and-Trade Gasol for Expiring Deals

Bard207 wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:
Assuming salary cap of $70m, they will have $5m to sign a free agent. If they only sign players to 1 year deals in the 2014 offseason, Lakers will have about $36.2m under contract (Kobe, Gibson, 7th round pick) and bout $35m under the cap for the 2015 offseason.

Do you have a link to a respected web site that discusses $70 million as the probably Salary Cap for the 2014 - 2015 season?
No, it's just an assumption based on previous years. I'm not sure when the new salary cap is officially announced.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Or they. Can just send that deal to ny for Melo and keep taj which is what they will most likely do
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject:

Chicago like Taj ...why would they give him up for an aging Gasol ?
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:
Or they. Can just send that deal to ny for Melo and keep taj which is what they will most likely do
I read Knicks aren't interested in doing a sign and trade to take back contracts so that's why Lakers can help.

Last edited by chekmatex4 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Cup-of-noodles wrote:
Chicago like Taj ...why would they give him up for an aging Gasol ?
Because they have to get rid of Taj and his $8m salary to get cap space to sign Melo. Knicks would want Jimmy Butler over Taj because Jimmy is younger and still on his rookie deal so it would affect salary cap less. By doing the sign and trade with Lakers, Bulls can keep Butler while clearing more space by trading Taj.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sign-and-Trade Gasol for Expiring Deals

chekmatex4 wrote:
Lakers currently have cap space this offseason (2014), however, I don't see a lot of superstar players that would turn the franchise around except for Lebron. If we don't expect to sign Lebron this offseason (which chances are we won't) I think Lakers should plan to get maximum cap space for the 2015 season. To help with this, Lakers should do a sign and trade with the Bulls for Gasol.

Bulls: Gasol ($7million, 3 year contract)
Lakers: Carlos Boozer (expiring $15.3m), Mike Dunleavy (expiring $2.8m), Tony Snell (expiring club option, $1.5m), and Taj Gibson (3 years remaining at around $8m per year).

Bulls will get Gasol to play alongside Joakim Noah. They will have about $18m in cap space after the trade which will be used to sign Carmelo Anthony. This deal is good for the Bulls because they keep Jimmy Butler.
Starting Line-up: Rose, Butler, Anthony, Gasol, Noah

Lakers currently have only Kobe, Nash, and Sacre under contract for about $34.1m. After the trade, they will have contracts worth about $64.7m (includes 7th round pick). Assuming salary cap of $70m, they will have $5m to sign a free agent. If they only sign players to 1 year deals in the 2014 offseason, Lakers will have about $36.2m under contract (Kobe, Gibson, 7th round pick) and bout $35m under the cap for the 2015 offseason.

Lakers can also flip Gibson for an expiring deal and draft picks to get further under the cap in 2015 by about $8million.

2014 starting line-up: Nash, Kobe, SF?, Gibson, Boozer/Sacre.
2015 starting line-up: Kobe and whatever $35-$43m can get you.

1. In April, the NBA projected the 2014-15 salary cap will be $63 million. The official numbers come out next month, but I haven't heard anyone say it will be $70 million.

2. Pau will probably get closer to $10 million than $7 million.
showtimelakeshow
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: im a noob so dont get crazy on me if this is nonsense

Alright so first of all Im a noob. This is my first reply. Im a diehard Laker fan but I don't know all of the trade technicalities and rules. Heres my DREAM hopefully possible Laker offseason scenario. First of all we have a very high pick. We never do. I believe Bynum was the last? Secondly, I guarantee (lol) that Jabari Parker will be the next one. Third, assume Cavs are going all in on Lebron. They go for Elmbeid or whatever his name is to tempt Lebron. Big man, Irving, and those other youngsters they have, etc. Trade our number 7, Nashs expiring contract, and others. Before you yell at me, this is where Im not sure. If sign and trade is possible we can add Nick Young, and whatever other several free agents if they want any. Im not so sure that they would. Maybe Jordan Hill. I dunno. Then resign Gasol to a REASONABLE short contract. Take a chance on Bynum. Its not going to cost much. Or Im not sure what else is out there at center via free agency. Point guard play Marshall, resign Farmar. Then we still have a lot of cap space for fillers and at least one STUD 6th man/starter. So roster maybe:

PG: FARMAR, MARSHALL, ??
SG: KOBE, BROOKS??, BAZEMORE??
SF: JABARI PARKER, HENRY??
PF: GASOL, KELLY
C: BYNUM, SACRE, FREE AGENT??? BIG QUESTION MARK!

KEEP IN MIND THERE IS GOING TO ALSO BE A STARTER/6TH MAN TYPE PLAYER AND FILLERS. MAYBE A VETERAN WILL EVEN TAKE THE VETERANS MINIMUM TO PLAY FOR THIS TEAM. LOL. WE ARE STILL THE LAKERS. LET ME KNOW.
showtimelakeshow
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: coach K

PS: Can Jabari Parker and Kobe Bryant tempt Coach K to coach the Lakers? He must also respect Gasol. Gasol is humble, quiet, respectful. All qualities Im sure Coach K desires. LOL!!
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: im a noob so dont get crazy on me if this is nonsense

showtimelakeshow wrote:
Alright so first of all Im a noob. This is my first reply. Im a diehard Laker fan but I don't know all of the trade technicalities and rules. Heres my DREAM hopefully possible Laker offseason scenario. First of all we have a very high pick. We never do. I believe Bynum was the last? Secondly, I guarantee (lol) that Jabari Parker will be the next one. Third, assume Cavs are going all in on Lebron. They go for Elmbeid or whatever his name is to tempt Lebron. Big man, Irving, and those other youngsters they have, etc. Trade our number 7, Nashs expiring contract, and others. Before you yell at me, this is where Im not sure. If sign and trade is possible we can add Nick Young, and whatever other several free agents if they want any. Im not so sure that they would. Maybe Jordan Hill. I dunno. Then resign Gasol to a REASONABLE short contract. Take a chance on Bynum. Its not going to cost much. Or Im not sure what else is out there at center via free agency. Point guard play Marshall, resign Farmar. Then we still have a lot of cap space for fillers and at least one STUD 6th man/starter. So roster maybe:

KEEP IN MIND THERE IS GOING TO ALSO BE A STARTER/6TH MAN TYPE PLAYER AND FILLERS. MAYBE A VETERAN WILL EVEN TAKE THE VETERANS MINIMUM TO PLAY FOR THIS TEAM. LOL. WE ARE STILL THE LAKERS. LET ME KNOW.
You can come up with a better dream than this. Here's my dream.

PG: Irving
SG: Kobe
SF: Lebron
PF: Love
C: Noah
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: im a noob so dont get crazy on me if this is nonsense

showtimelakeshow wrote:

Uhhh, you lost me at Bynum! But good luck with that.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject:

These are teams that I think would be interested in doing a sign and trade for Gasol.

Bulls: Boozer, Dunleavy (Both expiring contracts). Might be able to get back Gibson if they are trying to clear cap space to sign another FA.

Knicks: Amare, Bargnani, Shumpert, Dalambert (probably can send Nash to them as well. Amare, Bargnani, Dalambert are all expiring contracts)

Thunder: Perkins & Collison are both expiring contracts. Would probably need to get back Jeremy Lamb, Perry Jones, or a 1st Rounder for Gasol.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject:

How bout,

SnT Gasol and Clarkson for Perkins, Jackson, Jones, and future first.
Thunder can develop Clarkson and get a low post threat that they need. We get Perkins and Nash who expire next season and we can look into Marc Gasol.

We sign Melo and Ed Davis

Nash / Jackson / Marshall
Kobe / Henry / Brooks
Melo / Jones
Randle / Kelly
Perkins / Davis
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Basically Lakers take someone elses cast-offs and hand over Gasol?

No thanks!

Any sign and trade for Pau MUST include Nash, let's do some house-cleaning of our own!
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

No thanks!

Any sign and trade for Pau MUST include Nash, let's do some house-cleaning of our own!

No body laft to house clean ..the house is already clean ?
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Cup-of-noodles wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

No thanks!

No body laft to house clean ..the house is already clean ?

Um did you see where I said NASH?

Or are you expecting him to play more than 10 games next year to earn his $9mil?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: