** 2014-2015 Los Angeles Kings Official Discussion Thread **
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brandon98
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: ** 2014-2015 Los Angeles Kings Official Discussion Thread **

And as the offseason is now well upon us, I bring to you the 2014-2015 Discussion thread for your 2014 Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings!

2014-2015 Los Angeles Kings Schedule

Key dates:

October 8th: Home Opener Banner Night against San Jose Sharks

November 12th: First game against Anaheim @ Ponda Center.

November 29th: Rematch with Chicago. @ Staples.

January 8th: Rematch with New York. @ Staples

January 21st: Stadium Series game @ San Jose. I'm guessing it'll be played at ATT Park. (Would be the best choice IMO.)

Recent Offseason News:

Matt Greene Signs 4-year Extension with Kings

Gaborik Re-Signs with the Kings

Let the discussion and quest for the repeat begin!

Here's the skinny on what I'm learning about the Gaborik deal.

Yes, 7-years is long, but the intention was to drop his AAV to 4.9 which is superb for our cap flexibility. But even better is that there are no recapture penalties post contracts signed after the 2013 CBA. The Kings could hypothetically buy him out later on down the road or he could retire (likely) and that cap hit goes away, so those extra years really just act as like a bonus to Gaborik, and don't really hurt our flexibility. All Gabs has to do is keep playing his game, and, the key part, stay healthy. But Williams are Carter were once considered injury risks and the Kings training staff has done wonders with them.
dirka dirka
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject:

First.
dirka dirka
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Great deal for Gabby. Stoked he's staying. I still wouldn't mind exploring what we could get for Voynov. Richards probably has to stay for team chemistry and in the hope he can return to form.

We have a lot of contracts coming up I'm worried about. We HAVE to keep Muzzin right? Guy is a corsi monster. Tanner/Tofoli/Clifford/Justin Williams. Kopitar in 2 years. I wouldn't mind letting King go if he can't be had reasonably.
Brandon98
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject:

dirka dirka wrote:
Great deal for Gabby. Stoked he's staying. I still wouldn't mind exploring what we could get for Voynov. Richards probably has to stay for team chemistry and in the hope he can return to form.

We have a lot of contracts coming up I'm worried about. We HAVE to keep Muzzin right? Guy is a corsi monster. Tanner/Tofoli/Clifford/Justin Williams. Kopitar in 2 years. I wouldn't mind letting King go if he can't be had reasonably.

Voynov I expect to bounce back, and I don't think Dean starts kicking the tires on trading him unless he has another completely (bleep) season. As crazy as it sounds, even though this was his third season, it was his first full year in the league. In 2012 he came in after the Jack Johnson trade, and 2013 was a 48 lockout season. This season was probably his true sophomore slump. That big contract pressure, plus having him try to bulk up in the offseason didn't work out for him too well this year. The talent is there though. He was rock solid in 2012, and a sensation last year. Hell, he carried us essentially in last years' playoffs alongside Richards and JQ.

Muzz looks real good with Doughy, and I think Dean definitely keeps him if his solid play keeps up. Sadly, I think the odd man out next season will be Martinez... Pearson and Toffoli will be up for new contracts, and Martinez will be looking to get paid somewhere. Sucks that he'll be gone, because I love him on that 3rd pairing and the PP unit, but it's going to be a tight fit, especially when we renew the kids.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject:

I think the Kings can still retain Martinez. It just depends on how much of a discount Justin Williams, Pearson, and Toffoli will give and the development of McNabb/Forbort/Gravel. Same with Stoll if the Kings feel that his contributions cannot be replaced with any of the younger guys like Vey/Shore/Andreoff. I don't see Clifford or Nolan sticking around much longer though so don't be surprised to see them traded for picks.

NHL draft is coming up. Hopefully the Kings are successful like the last time they drafted after a Stanley Cup win (Pearson selected in the first round of that year).
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Hoping we keep Martinez but seeing as I just bought his jersey, he'll be gone sooner than later.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
dirka dirka
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Martinez is really an LA fit, I hope he stays as well.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject:

I think Voynov was banged up. He's a much better player than what he showed. I doubt Dean looks to trade him.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
I think Voynov was banged up. He's a much better player than what he showed. I doubt Dean looks to trade him.

Voynov's issues were mental, not physical. Almost as if there was some neurological bug he contracted from the Russian Olympic team.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

Voynov's issues were mental, not physical. Almost as if there was some neurological bug he contracted from the Russian Olympic team.

Yeah, I just couldn't quite figure out what it was. At first I thought fatigue but then it looked like his motor was running fine. Maybe mental fatigue?
1since71
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject:

If willie does not come back on defense who do you guys see the team looking to replace him? someone from the minors or a FA vet?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject:

1since71 wrote:
If willie does not come back on defense who do you guys see the team looking to replace him? someone from the minors or a FA vet?

Vet. We've got a lot of 26 and younger guys at D (Doughty, Muzzin, Voynov, Martinez). There are some that could become potential bargains but come with some warning labels. Dan Boyle (age, cost), Joni Pitkanen (injury), Stephane Robidas (age, injury), Brooks Orpik (age, injury), Tom Gilbert (probably could be our best bet for a 3rd pairing guy). That said, I'd rather have Willie.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Go Kings Go!

Last edited by 32 on Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Kobewood
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject:

I read on HF Boards that the Kings and Sharks will play an outdoor game in the Bay Area, most likely at Levi's Stadium.

Thank you Kobe for giving 20 years of yourself to the Purple and Gold. We are forever indebted to your greatness.

#WIN4VIN
Kobewood
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject:

I realize that we've won two of the last three Cups and that we're stacked moving forward, but I just can't help but cringe every time I hear the word "dynasty" thrown into the conversation. It just doesn't feel right in hockey discussions. Anyone else feel the same way?

But all that being said, what a roster!

Gaborik-Kopitar-Brown
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
(King?)-Stoll-Williams
Clifford-Richards-Lewis

Doughty-Muzzin
Voynov-Regehr
Martinez-Greene
(Mitchell?)

Quick
Jones

I can't wait to see more of Kopi and Gabby on the ice together. I'm sure that their shared Central European/Slavic heritage contributes to the chemistry between them. Notice how they rode together in the Tundra during the Beach Cities parade.

Apart from that, I'm really interested in seeing the young fellas (Toffoli, Pearson, and Muzzin) develop some more.

Thank you Kobe for giving 20 years of yourself to the Purple and Gold. We are forever indebted to your greatness.

#WIN4VIN
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject:

1since71 wrote:

I'm just gonna assume that Brayden McNabb will be slotted in the 7th defenseman spot. Kings dealt a couple of their prospects for him and draft picks with the intention that he's NHL ready. I'd prefer to see if the Kings can trade Regehr and re-sign Mitchell for a year.

UPDATE: Just as I typed this reports are that Mitchell will not be re-signed. https://twitter.com/CraigCustance/status/482223169999474689

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Lombardi's draft history: http://lakingsinsider.com/2014/06/26/draft-picks-first-round-history-under-lombardi/

Can't really complain.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
dirka dirka
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject:

Ugh, Kessler to the Ducks, that is not good news at all.
Brandon98
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject:

dirka dirka wrote:
Ugh, Kessler to the Ducks, that is not good news at all.

Looks like Bonino and Sbisa heading out from Anaheim. A rejuvenated Ryan Kesler will be real big for them.

(bleep) just got real in the Pacific Division.

CGY, EDM, VAN, and SJ (apparently from reports) are all in some stage of rebuild or retool mode.

PHX is a solid team, but really always hovering around as a Wildcard seed.

Means that Pacific Divsion belongs to the Kings and Ducks for years to come.

Tough blow for Chicago. No Kesler, and they're still searching around for a 2nd line Center to match up with the Kings. They have to be going after Stastny now.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Wow... big trade by the Ducks, especially since Kesler has a very favorable contract when he's healthy. Surprised the Canucks didn't get the higher draft pick. Ducks made out big in the deal in my opinion since Sbisa wasn't much and Bonino was coming off a career year. However, with the injuries that Kesler has had in recent years, he's not as much the shutdown defender that he was when he won the Selke. Unfortunately, it looks like the Kings will be seeing a lot more diving by the Ducks.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Canucks got fleeced.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Interesting to see what other moves the Ducks make. They're gonna rely heavily on their young players developing quickly at the NHL contender level. Their defense is still a mess though. I would think using the compliance buyout on Souray would have been on the top of their to-do list. Surprised it hasn't happened yet so I guess they expect him back?

Oh yeah, don't forget the NHL draft is this afternoon. Anyone care to take a wild guess who the Kings are gonna draft?
1since71
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject:

I think I would go with Brooks Orpik to replace Mitchell
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Vishnu wrote:

Yeah, I just couldn't quite figure out what it was. At first I thought fatigue but then it looked like his motor was running fine. Maybe mental fatigue?

I've got it on some pretty good intel that he was hurt - team just didn't want to say anything.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject:

NHL draft is on NBC's crappy channel. Best part will be hearing other teams congratulate the Kings for winning the Stanley Cup.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17
Jump to: