The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 976, 977, 978 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:
And Nance is not just another guy, way too early to say that. If you look at his numbers, they compare pretty well with Paul Millsap's first 2 years despite Larry being a lower usage player.

A concern with Larry is that due to health concerns he may never be a 30 minute a night guy. But here's how the numbers stack up in year 2 between he, Randle and Millsap in PER36 minute stats:

Millsap: 14 points (50.4% fg, 0% 3p, 67.7% ft), 9.7 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.5 steals, 1.5 blocks, 1.8 turnovers, 5.7 fouls
Nance: 11.2 points (52.6% fg, 27.8% 3p, 73.8% ft), 9.2 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 1.0 blocks, 1.4 turnovers, 3.7 fouls
Randle: 16.5 points (48.8% fg, 27% 3p, 72.3% ft), 10.7 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 0.8 steals, 0.6 blocks, 2.9 turnovers, 4.2 fouls

I think those numbers show about what you'd expect them to show. Randle being the best rebounder, passer, and scoring more though less efficiently but being the worst defensively of the three.

My personal take on Randle vs. Nance and the future of the Lakers depends on what happens in free agency. If you are able to land a star power forward then Randle becomes expendable. In that situation Nance is an ideal fit, he is content with being a role player, and the intangibles that he brings is ideal as a role player on a good team. Randle meanwhile becomes a trade asset in that scenario with enough promise that he has value.

If you can't bring in a star then you want to hold onto Randle, because he has star potential. I think his floor at this point is a guy who can bring you 15/10/5. I think we'd all agree that he has areas he needs to improve if he wants to take his game to the next level. Defense, right hand, shooting all could use improvement, but he works hard. In that scenario you can really hold on to both guys as they can be played together. But if you have to choose one you choose Randle and hope that he figures it all out. I don't think Larry has the mentality to ever be a star. That's good if you aren't expecting him to be one, he won't become a malcontent. But that mentality combined with his health concerns put a ceiling on his upside.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Quote:
And Nance is not just another guy, way too early to say that. If you look at his numbers, they compare pretty well with Paul Millsap's first 2 years despite Larry being a lower usage player.

A concern with Larry is that due to health concerns he may never be a 30 minute a night guy. But here's how the numbers stack up in year 2 between he, Randle and Millsap in PER36 minute stats:

Millsap: 14 points (50.4% fg, 0% 3p, 67.7% ft), 9.7 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.5 steals, 1.5 blocks, 1.8 turnovers, 5.7 fouls
Nance: 11.2 points (52.6% fg, 27.8% 3p, 73.8% ft), 9.2 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 1.0 blocks, 1.4 turnovers, 3.7 fouls
Randle: 16.5 points (48.8% fg, 27% 3p, 72.3% ft), 10.7 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 0.8 steals, 0.6 blocks, 2.9 turnovers, 4.2 fouls

I think those numbers show about what you'd expect them to show. Randle being the best rebounder, passer, and scoring more though less efficiently but being the worst defensively of the three.

My personal take on Randle vs. Nance and the future of the Lakers depends on what happens in free agency. If you are able to land a star power forward then Randle becomes expendable. In that situation Nance is an ideal fit, he is content with being a role player, and the intangibles that he brings is ideal as a role player on a good team. Randle meanwhile becomes a trade asset in that scenario with enough promise that he has value.

If you can't bring in a star then you want to hold onto Randle, because he has star potential. I think his floor at this point is a guy who can bring you 15/10/5. I think we'd all agree that he has areas he needs to improve if he wants to take his game to the next level. Defense, right hand, shooting all could use improvement, but he works hard. In that scenario you can really hold on to both guys as they can be played together. But if you have to choose one you choose Randle and hope that he figures it all out. I don't think Larry has the mentality to ever be a star. That's good if you aren't expecting him to be one, he won't become a malcontent. But that mentality combined with his health concerns put a ceiling on his upside.

I just want to add that Nance had 2.0 steals PER36.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Quote:

Objective data:

Julius > Nance: PER, REB% and AST%

Nance > Julius: BPM, TS%, eFG%, TO%, STL%, BLK%, ORtg and DRtg

The data is here

The eye test says:
Nance >>>>>>>>> Julius: IQ / brain cells

Julius >>>>>>>>> Nance: Ball handling

Julius is younger and clearly has more room to grow.

They are both athletic, but while Nance is the better leaper Julius has superior speed / quickness
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

15 wrote:
Can we sign randle to an extension this season? Is there any benefit to doing that at all? Or is it better to sign FAs next offseason and then sign randle to go over the cap?

The only benefit would be if he re-signed at a cheap price. Wait until next offseason and you can sign a FA and then re-sign him.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject:

Julius's body looks completely different
I'll post a video later!
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Quote:

Larry Nance said that he wants to be in the DPOY conversation. Does not sound like he is content being just a role player. Yes offense is flashy, but defense wins games.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

Julius Randle's body transformation / hard off-season work continues

https://twitter.com/Carrastealth/status/867463000042512384

he may legitimately be going for Small Forward size

But holy crap
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

But holy crap

or point guard
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

But holy crap

With a jump shot it may even be his best position.

He is as fast as any SF and is stronger than most of them except maybe LeBron.

His length is not a concern at this position as it is trying to finish over longer 4s.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
MJST wrote:

But holy crap

His length is not a concern at this position as it is trying to finish over longer 4s.

May be more forgiving with his jumper if he can beat small forwards off the dribble, but he can beat guards off the dribble so I don't see issues there.

If Randle can legitimately play the 3, it means both him and Ingram can be eventually interchangeable at the 3 and 4 positions.

But even if Randle stays primarily the Power Forward, if he's retained his strength, along with the increased conditioning and drop of weight which makes him even faster and more explosive on both ends, he's gonna be a handle to defend, even more so than he is right now.

Last edited by MJST on Wed May 24, 2017 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Quote:

Objective data:

Julius > Nance: PER, REB% and AST%

Nance > Julius: BPM, TS%, eFG%, TO%, STL%, BLK%, ORtg and DRtg

The data is here

The eye test says:
Nance >>>>>>>>> Julius: IQ / brain cells

Julius >>>>>>>>> Nance: Ball handling

Julius is younger and clearly has more room to grow.

They are both athletic, but while Nance is the better leaper Julius has superior speed / quickness

For objective Data:
Julius also has a higher FTr .365 > .222

For what it's worth JR is closer to Lebron's FTr than Nance is to Randle's.

Assisted% 2pts:
Nance: .756
Randle: .489

TS%:
Nance: .567
Randle: .543

While there is an almost .30% difference in their assisted FGs, there is only a .024 difference in their TS%.

It might be worth noting how each player raised their TS% from last year:
Nance: .544->.567
Randle: .482->.543

While Nance's BBIQ is obviously better than Randle's, I wouldn't say his overall intelligence has been demonstrably higher. He certainly is more charismatic than Randle, and I think that has an effect. As far as eye tests go, offensively the gap in their BBIQ has definitely shrunk.

Athletically Randle is also stronger.

That just further shows what a lot of people say. Randle has shown potential to be a creator and playmaker from a power position, and Nance has shown he's a very competent roleplayer.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
nash wrote:
MJST wrote:

But holy crap

May be more forgiving with his jumper if he can beat small forwards off the dribble, but he can beat guards off the dribble so I don't see issues there.

If Randle can legitimately play the 3, it means both him and Ingram can be eventually interchangeable at the 3 and 4 positions.

But even if Randle stays primarily the Power Forward, if he's retained his strength, along with the increased conditioning and drop of weight which makes him even faster and more explosive on both ends, he's gonna be a handle to defend, even more so than he is right now.

DLO-PG-ING-JR-LNJ

That could be some cool defensive/offensive versatility. rly cool.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject:

There's a reason randle was supposed to be a top 3 pick and nance went 27
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

But holy crap

T-Rob better watch out, Jules is coming for that BF% crown
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

But holy crap

LeBronesque
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Nice to see him working on that body.

Now, show me a time lapse of him hitting 500 3s a day too!
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

want to see the whole team doing that...especially the guards
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Well that's the thing. We know our guards our doing that. I'm hoping our frontcourt players are doing that.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Well that's the thing. We know our guards our doing that. I'm hoping our frontcourt players are doing that.

we do? vid?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject:

There's a vid of zubac and nance hitting 3s. Not sure if 500 tho
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

Sure, the same reason Jokic was a late pick.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

we do? vid?

LOL. Taking things literally huh?

If you don't think guards are hoisting up 3s...

My point is that I hope our big men are putting up lots of 3s, especially if Ball is coming here. Not usually a traditional summer workout for bigs to shoot 3s.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

Age and potential are the main reasons
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Randle is taking over my #1 spot as the hardest working young laker

Randle
Ingram
Clarkson
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject:

This dudes work ethic is insane man, he's written off alot because of "t-rex arms". I hope he finds his role and excels with us.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 976, 977, 978 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 977 of 1536
Jump to: