The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 999, 1000, 1001 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
Quote:
Bobby Marks @BobbyMarks42 18h
Lakers right at $15.6m in room (18-19) when you factor in their 2 first rd. picks this year and renouncing free agents except for Randle.

Bobby Marks @BobbyMarks42 18h
LAL would need to move one of their large contracts (Deng, Mozgov, Clarkson) or not bring back Julius Randle to create the room.

This cannot be understated. With the other 3 contacts being immovable, and the current inability to offer a max in 2018, Julius is dead man walking.
he will be a pacer soon imo. Financially, it makes little sense for us to keep him and give him a 20+ million dollar contract. Ingram/George are our starting forwards longterm. There's no room for Randle. He's not good at the 5. His ball handling and distributing responsibilities will be minimal with Russell/Ball/Ingram/George. He's gone imo.

Yes, unfortunately I think you are right. He could still be a good player but he's about to get paid and I'm not sure if we should be the one doing it.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
*yawn*

It's almost like some people forget the entire reason you draft someone is to see if they play up to the level of getting that contract and if they do you sign them to it and you have the benefit of doing it, the way contracts work cause you drafted them.

The fact that some people are actually so scared that Julius will play well enough to need to be paid a big contract and THEIR REACTION to that isn't "OMG HE'S PLAYING UP TO THE LEVEL OF THAT KIND OF CONTRACT!?!? WHAT A GOOD GET FOR US!!" but instead "We can't afford to have him play well and thus make us have to pay him so we should move him!!"

I swear, some fans got it all backwards. Ya'll are focused so much on saving money you have no clue what to do with it once you've got it.

If Randle plays up to be worth a 15-17 million dollar a year contract this coming season, YOU PAY HIM THE 15-17 MILLION DOLLAR A YEAR CONTRACT AND THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS HE FELL TO YOU AT 7.

You don't RUN from having to pay him. The entire point of drafting him was hoping he'd play to that kind of level, and thus it would mark off another name you'd have to chase in free agency, because you got a 'name' you drafted.

Get with it.
no. This is a league where Deng, Mozgov get 20 million dollar contracts. A guy like Allen Crabbe got close to 20 million per year. Randle can get a 20 million dollar offer from a team like the Nets without showing much improvement. We'd be forced to match or lose him for nothing.

If we can send him and Clarkson to Indy for George, yeah, you have to do that. Randle/Clarkson/28 would be a godsend for us.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Page 1000
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
MJST wrote:
*yawn*

It's almost like some people forget the entire reason you draft someone is to see if they play up to the level of getting that contract and if they do you sign them to it and you have the benefit of doing it, the way contracts work cause you drafted them.

The fact that some people are actually so scared that Julius will play well enough to need to be paid a big contract and THEIR REACTION to that isn't "OMG HE'S PLAYING UP TO THE LEVEL OF THAT KIND OF CONTRACT!?!? WHAT A GOOD GET FOR US!!" but instead "We can't afford to have him play well and thus make us have to pay him so we should move him!!"

I swear, some fans got it all backwards. Ya'll are focused so much on saving money you have no clue what to do with it once you've got it.

If Randle plays up to be worth a 15-17 million dollar a year contract this coming season, YOU PAY HIM THE 15-17 MILLION DOLLAR A YEAR CONTRACT AND THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS HE FELL TO YOU AT 7.

You don't RUN from having to pay him. The entire point of drafting him was hoping he'd play to that kind of level, and thus it would mark off another name you'd have to chase in free agency, because you got a 'name' you drafted.

Get with it.

I don't think most people are worried about paying him tbh. I think it's more that some people didn't want Julius to being with, made sweeping declarations about his lack of skill/talent and don't want to budge from that stance.

The keep saying "I don't think he's worth that kind of money" as if last season was the best we could possibly see from him, even though we've seen continual improvement from him.

As I said before the second contract a player gets in the league is usually based on their potential moving forward more than how good they currently are. Julius has undoubtedly shown flashes of something special and he's continued to improve during his time in the league.
when we get George, where do you think Randle will play? Starting 4, sending Ingram to the bench? Center? He's been awful at the 5. I just don't see where Randle fits with the addition of George. Ingram/George will be getting the bulk of the minutes at the forward spots.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Page 1000

The vets on page 999. That's volt worthy.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
tox wrote:
Page 1000

Lovefool
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
MJST wrote:
*yawn*

Get with it.
no. This is a league where Deng, Mozgov get 20 million dollar contracts. A guy like Allen Crabbe got close to 20 million per year. Randle can get a 20 million dollar offer from a team like the Nets without showing much improvement. We'd be forced to match or lose him for nothing.

If we can send him and Clarkson to Indy for George, yeah, you have to do that. Randle/Clarkson/28 would be a godsend for us.

Nah it would be idiotic to give up an asset for someone that has stated he would come and not to trade for him, esp when they share the same agent. The Lakers fortunately dont feel the same way you do. They dont want to break up the young core. Youve heard it from Jeannie and Magic. Cant wait for Julius to ball out, be our best player this year and silence all the haters that have been chirping since he got here.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
tox wrote:
Page 1000

Posters I don't see often, on the same page.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Give me Tristan Thompson focus on defense and I'm happy even without the 3pt shot.

He needs one or the other to be a net neutral player. He needs both to become a bonafide star imo.

I'm not that confident in his 3 pointer ever being better than 31-32% so I hope he brings it on defense.

I think better shot selection could push him into positive OBPM territory even without a league average three - a little more role-player Julius instead of iso-player Julius will go a long way. Or maybe he just becomes outlier efficient on unassisted, off-balance floaters, who knows?

But better shot selection, 34-35% on threes, and +1-2 DBPM is the ultimate goal.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
He's been awful at the 5.

Lakers Centers last season (per 82 games):

Randle: -3 PER
Mozgov: -5.4 PER
Black: -5.6 PER
Zubac: -8.4 PER
Nance: -11.6 PER

Paul George doesn't like playing power forward. He complained when the Pacers put him there. And Ingram doesn't have the strength to play there at this point.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
tox wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
tox wrote:
Page 1000

I see. But what's "volt worthy" mean?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Give me Tristan Thompson focus on defense and I'm happy even without the 3pt shot.

He needs one or the other to be a net neutral player. He needs both to become a bonafide star imo.

I'm not that confident in his 3 pointer ever being better than 31-32% so I hope he brings it on defense.

I think better shot selection could push him into positive OBPM territory even without a league average three - a little more role-player Julius instead of iso-player Julius will go a long way. Or maybe he just becomes outlier efficient on unassisted, off-balance floaters, who knows?

But better shot selection, 34-35% on threes, and +1-2 DBPM is the ultimate goal.

I think he could get to be a positive offensive player for sure, even without a 3 ball, but I don't think he'd make up for his defense (even with a 3 ball) unless he made strides defensively as well. He's just at such a critical position defensively that there's little margin for error there.

I agree with the rest though.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
tox wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
tox wrote:
Page 1000

Old meme from a poster saying something should go in the vault, but misspelled it.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
tox wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
tox wrote:
Page 1000

Old meme from a poster saying something should go in the vault, but misspelled it.

Ah, thanks. Maybe joshua saw my post count and not my join date when he made that reference to me
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Page 1000... about time. Been three years.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Page 1000

is there a door prize?
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
dao wrote:

Paul George doesn't like playing power forward. He complained when the Pacers put him there. And Ingram doesn't have the strength to play there at this point.

Damn, you beat me to it....

I remember there being a pretty lengthy discussion in this thread about how surprising effective Randle was as a Small ball 5. So much so that Luke was ending games with Randle at the 5 and Nance at the 4.

Randle is also a better rim protector that people give him credit for being.

Also, the perceived poor rim protection of our bigs has less to do with the bigs and more do with our teams defense as a whole. Mozgov is statistically the Lakers worst rim protector, but when he was with the Cavs he was an elite rim protector.

Last edited by Truck Turner on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
tox wrote:
Page 1000

is there a door prize?

Yeah, but don't let it hit ya on the way out...
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
dao wrote:

where is the link to these stats? At first glance it would appear that I have earned a plate of crow but I'd like some confirmation.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
MJST wrote:
*yawn*

Get with it.

I don't think most people are worried about paying him tbh. I think it's more that some people didn't want Julius to being with, made sweeping declarations about his lack of skill/talent and don't want to budge from that stance.

The keep saying "I don't think he's worth that kind of money" as if last season was the best we could possibly see from him, even though we've seen continual improvement from him.

As I said before the second contract a player gets in the league is usually based on their potential moving forward more than how good they currently are. Julius has undoubtedly shown flashes of something special and he's continued to improve during his time in the league.
when we get George, where do you think Randle will play? Starting 4, sending Ingram to the bench? Center? He's been awful at the 5. I just don't see where Randle fits with the addition of George. Ingram/George will be getting the bulk of the minutes at the forward spots.

You give him more time to develop into a small-ball center because if it works, having five players who can handle, pass, and shoot (to some degree) would be a huge boon. The guard skills Randle brings to the table make him a more worthy investment than you're giving him credit for.

He is an asset despite his flaws, and dumping him just to not pay him FMV seems like a short-sighted way to 1) waste an asset, and 2) alienate the agent who is doing everything he can to steer PG-13 to the Lakers at a favorable price.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
dao wrote:

Wait...negative PER? What is this?
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
dao wrote:

ok so these numbers are from the 82 games website. How sure are we that they correctly give the numbers for Nance playing the 5 vs Randle playing the 5, since they tended to share the court together in the small ball lineups. Also, what is the sample size? It seems odd for Nance to go from +.7 at PF to -11.6 at C. Randle was -4.6 at PF, and improved a bit to -3.0 at center. It's the highest on the team, that's surprising to me. It's still not a very impressive number though.
pkflyers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
I'm Kwame Brown and every one of my posts seem to be moved. I find this perplexing because I've never had a post move before!

http://tinyurl.com/snxt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject:

1000 pages and he's still on the lakers. phew
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
dao wrote:

Wait...negative PER? What is this?

Net betweennthem and the opponent. Of course per doesn't really tell you the net value of the lineup with each guy, or who THE other four are.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 999, 1000, 1001 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1000 of 1536
Jump to: