The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1053, 1054, 1055 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
JM wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Randle is going to beast this year. No one can say the guy didn't do everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, he could this summer. Seems like he has gone Kobe this summer.

Not holding my breath on this one. I'm sure a week from now someone will pop up in here saying they want to see him working on his jumper.

Yeah, like to see some footage where he is working on his jumper.

Maybe read this thread?

Yeah lol I'm done finding videos one page back for some of these people that show up only to talk trash when they don't even look in the thread for videos that are usually one page back.
Laker Junkie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject:

This feels a lot like Eddie Jones all over again. Losing a draftee you get attached to, in spite of their flaws.

Im rooting for JR but hes gone. The timing on his contract is a b*tch.

There will be cheaper alternatives in Nance and Kuzma.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

I hope we keep Randle. His time to shine in the league. When he is going, he's an elite PF.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject:

Laker Junkie wrote:
This feels a lot like Eddie Jones all over again. Losing a draftee you get attached to, in spite of their flaws.

Dude he only has a 12.7ish cap hold. You move Clarkson by himself and it solves any issue that would cause.

And no, it's not like Eddie Jones in the least and Eddie Jones had played far more seasons than Randle has and the Lakers had a good idea what they had at that point. Same with Van Exel.

Julius had his age 21 to age 22 season last season.

Your mentality of "don't pay players if they earn big contacts if they ewrn them cause your need cheader alternatives" is what got OKC in trouble.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Laker Junkie wrote:

Dude he only has a 12.7ish cap hold. You move Clarkson by himself and it solves any issue that would cause.

And no, it's not like Eddie Jones in the least and Eddie Jones had played far more seasons than Randle has and the Lakers had a good idea what they had at that point. Same with Van Exel.

Your mentality of "don't pay players if they earn big contacts if they ewrn them cause your need cheader alternatives" is what got OKC in trouble.

It's going to come down to JC v. Jules. I think Jules has the edge right now and has been mentioned as part of the young core, FWIW.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

If Randle's pts, rebs, and asts all combine for over 30 (e.g. 19, 9 and 3) and he shows capable defense, I'd have no problem keeping him for the long-haul
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Laker Junkie wrote:

It's going to come down to JC v. Jules. I think Jules has the edge right now and has been mentioned as part of the young core, FWIW.

If the Lakers believe Josh Hart is a better fit for the team at the backup 2 then Clarkson's time here could be in trouble.

For all the talk about changing jumpers and playing defense, Clarkson is at the top of that list of needing to do those things. But whereas Julius has gotten in the best shape and conditioning in his life. But Clarkson has always been in good shape and conditioning but hadn't improved his jumper or played defense despite no excuse to why not.

I think with Josh Hart here that Clarkson is potentially in the most danger to be moved depending on how Hart looks
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Laker Junkie wrote:

If the Lakers believe Josh Hart is a better fit for the team at the backup 2 then Clarkson's time here could be in trouble.

For all the talk about changing jumpers and playing defense, Clarkson is at the top of that list of needing to do those things. But whereas Julius has gotten in the best shape and conditioning in his life. But Clarkson has always been in good shape and conditioning but hadn't improved his jumper or played defense despite no excuse to why not.

I think with Josh Hart here that Clarkson is potentially in the most danger to be moved depending on how Hart looks

How much cap maneuvering would it take to retain Jules' rights next summer (and eventually go over the cap to re-sign him) and still have the cap space to sign LBJ/PG13 first? Or is it impossible?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Laker Junkie wrote:

How much cap maneuvering would it take to retain Jules' rights next summer (and eventually go over the cap to re-sign him) and still have the cap space to sign LBJ/PG13 first? Or is it impossible?

See my signature.

I'm operating under the premise that no team is going to waste nearly 18m/year for 2 more years to take Deng. So assuming he's stretched.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Laker Junkie wrote:

See my signature.

I'm operating under the premise that no team is going to waste nearly 18m/year for 2 more years to take Deng. So assuming he's stretched.

Your sig is keeping this thread afloat.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject:

The plan is signing two max players with our cap room, there is no reason Julius can't have a huge breakout season turning himself one of them, he just have to put the same kind of stats that other top prospects are posting.

I don't like to talk about raw numbers because they are lost without proper context and advanced stats, what I expect from Julius is something like this:

Jokic
26.3 PER - 8.4 BPM

Towns
25.9 PER - 4.9 BPM

Embiid
24.1 PER - 3.1 BPM

It doesn't mater if he gets there through points, assists, rebounds, blocks or any other stat, if he can get to this level we should make the kid one of our max players.

I like the way he is working out his body to be the best version of Jules we can put on the floor, let's see how good he can be.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
The plan is signing two max players with our cap room, there is no reason Julius can't have a huge breakout season turning himself one of them, he just have to put the same kind of stats that other top prospects are posting.

I don't like to talk about raw numbers because they are lost without proper context and advanced stats, what I expect from Julius is something like this:

Jokic
26.3 PER - 8.4 BPM

Towns
25.9 PER - 4.9 BPM

Embiid
24.1 PER - 3.1 BPM

It doesn't mater if he gets there through points, assists, rebounds, blocks or any other stat, if he can get to this level we should make the kid one of our max players.

I like the way he is working out his body to be the best version of Jules we can put on the floor, let's see how good he can be.

I don't think we are talking about maxing him. It's about whether he or JC stays on the team (assuming Deng is stretched we can keep 1 of them if the 2 max players take about 29m each...paycuts).

Those 3 players are top of the big men class, but that doesn't mean Jules has to be at that level per se.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:

Jokic
26.3 PER - 8.4 BPM

Towns
25.9 PER - 4.9 BPM

Embiid
24.1 PER - 3.1 BPM

His most recent BPM is 0.0 (cue Animal House), btw.

Nance is at 1.9.

Last edited by greenfrog on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
nash wrote:

Jokic
26.3 PER - 8.4 BPM

Towns
25.9 PER - 4.9 BPM

Embiid
24.1 PER - 3.1 BPM

His most recent BPM is 0.0 (cue Animal House), btw.

Nance is at 1.9.

This. I see Nance as potentially more viable as the starting PF because of his energy/activity on the defensive end, a la AK47.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Problem with Nance is durability.

Love to have him on the team though. Favorite interview and this generation's Rick Fox for the Lakers.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
I hope we keep Randle. His time to shine in the league. When he is going, he's an elite PF.

No doubt, and there's gonna be a ton of that this year me thinks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:

We'd need about 80 millions out of 102 in cap space (31 + 36 + 12.7 cap hold).
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:

Jokic
26.3 PER - 8.4 BPM

Towns
25.9 PER - 4.9 BPM

Embiid
24.1 PER - 3.1 BPM

If we're going the advanced stats route, then we should be looking at RPM more than PER/BPM, because BPM overrates Randle (like it overrates Jokic). Last season he was bottom-20 by position (most of our young guys were).
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
nash wrote:

Jokic
26.3 PER - 8.4 BPM

Towns
25.9 PER - 4.9 BPM

Embiid
24.1 PER - 3.1 BPM

If we're going the advanced stats route, then we should be looking at RPM more than PER/BPM, because BPM overrates Randle (like it overrates Jokic). Last season he was bottom-20 by position (most of our young guys were).

Nance .90
Randle -1.82
Jokic 6.73
Towns 2.13
Brook 1.95
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers don't exactly have to be in a rush to get rid of those players though.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Clarkson and Randle still with the Lakers at the end of the season.

There's no guarantee that these two max players are going to sign with the Lakers. The Lakers just have space for them.

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong.. but Boston didn't have the cap space to sign Gordon Hayward outright, right? They came to terms with him first and then shed the necessary contracts to free up enough space.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
But whereas Julius has gotten in the best shape and conditioning in his life. But Clarkson has always been in good shape and conditioning but hadn't improved his jumper or played defense despite no excuse to why not.

just using your logic...being in excellent shape has not helped Clarkson, but it is magically going to do wonders for Randle? If Clarkson has no excuse for his jumper (which is better than Randles) or his defense (who provides much more effort than Randle), then what is Randles excuse in these areas?
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Well I hope all these conditioning and shooting videos transform Mr. Randle into a great player. Being that his lack of shooting has been in evidence, Laker fans concerned have a point. I don't know how much the front office has to see to give JR an offer bigger than the qualifying offer.

If he basically plays the same this year, is he worth more than $10-12 million a year? I mean it's not chump change and 12-14 ppg and 7-9 rebounds is a nice solid player.

Let's hope he lives up to whatever videos are on the previous page....
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
nash wrote:

Jokic
26.3 PER - 8.4 BPM

Towns
25.9 PER - 4.9 BPM

Embiid
24.1 PER - 3.1 BPM

I agree to some degree.

There is not a single stat that will cover it all, that is why we can determine reasonable numbers for a few of them together to set the bar.

If a young player like Julius is able to meet the expectations from a franchise that had dozens of hall of famers he deserves his money. Lakers max players are those with the numbers retired.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject:

I hope Randle makes Indy very unhappy they passed on him in a George deal. Of all the guys they were offered he's the one who had the biggest upside. Would have been a beast next to Turner. Happy we still have him.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
MJST wrote:
But whereas Julius has gotten in the best shape and conditioning in his life. But Clarkson has always been in good shape and conditioning but hadn't improved his jumper or played defense despite no excuse to why not.

just using your logic...being in excellent shape has not helped Clarkson, but it is magically going to do wonders for Randle?

No, it's that JC never had endurance/conditioning as a weakness. His defensive woes are in spite of everything being in his favor and comes down to his effort and really never working on his defense or wanting to, focusing primarily on his offense. Even down to his defensive stance being off, it's been off 2 seasons ago when we saw him playing against Bradley Beal in practice, but he carries that same stance into games.

The guy has been told multiple off-seasons to work on his defense, but he focuses primarily on his offensive game. That is JC's problem.

Randle on the other hand aside from getting in the best shape of his life, and improving his conditioning and flexibility has also been working out three times a day on his all around game AS WELL as been in the film room with Luke watching endless film on Draymond Green and trying to get better at angles and see what Draymond does defensively that works so well for him.

Whereas if you ask JC for the last 2 off-seasons if he's worked on defense you'll get a nervous laugh and a 'yeah..I have.'. Usually after talking the reporters ear off the stuff he's added to his offensive game.

The fact of the matter is, JC hasn't put the time or effort into getting better on defense despite all the physical advantages and the conditioning to do so.

Randle on the other hand has been putting in the time and effort into it. He didn't just sit on his 'conditioning' being the sole reason, he's also in the film room learning angles and studying what Draymond does defensively.

That's the difference between him and JC.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1053, 1054, 1055 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1054 of 1536
Jump to: