The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1069, 1070, 1071 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

He might of thought he was in shape.

You work out every day you might think you're doing well, but if he has moderate cardio, lots of lifting, and a not so great diet than it's going to limit him on the court.

But yeah that's a good question I would like to hear the trainers perspective.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject:

True Lakers Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I guess my question for Jules's trainer is why did he wait until this summer to get into shape? I understand it's a big contract year, but I wonder how his game would have been if he was this devoted to conditioning last year.

Didn't Magic say that everyone has to come to camp in shape or they won't play?

But that's my question. Why did it take Magic/contract year to really get into shape? He's looked out of shape every year (obviously after leg injury but this year too). He's huffing/puffing constantly.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I guess my question for Jules's trainer is why did he wait until this summer to get into shape? I understand it's a big contract year, but I wonder how his game would have been if he was this devoted to conditioning last year.

But that's my question. Why did it take Magic/contract year to really get into shape? He's looked out of shape every year (obviously after leg injury but this year too). He's huffing/puffing constantly.

Kinda Davian George.

Ingram approach is what I expect from a pro, you look at him and you know he is working hard all the time to improve.

I find it suspect when a player comes into the best shape of his life in a contract season.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Kinda Davian George.

Ingram approach is what I expect from a pro, you look at him and you know he is working hard all the time to improve.

I find it suspect when a player comes into the best shape of his life in a contract season.

I hope any players comes into their third full season in the best shape of their life.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
nash wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Kinda Davian George.

I hope any players comes into their third full season in the best shape of their life.

You expected it every season from a pro, to show in his best possible shape
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Kinda Davian George.

Julius has been a hard worker his whole career here. It takes time for it to all come together
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
nash wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Kinda Davian George.

Julius has been a hard worker his whole career here. It takes time for it to all come together

I think people are underestimating on just how devastating that injury he had in his rookie year, it probably took him 2 years to get back to full training and conditioning, this is probably his first summer were he's been able to go full press.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
22 wrote:
nash wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Kinda Davian George.

I think people are underestimating on just how devastating that injury he had in his rookie year, it probably took him 2 years to get back to full training and conditioning, this is probably his first summer were he's been able to go full press.

Injury aside, Randle's conditioning is similar to his jump shot. In AAU, High School, & UK Randle was so physically dominant over the completion that he didn't have to develop an outside game. Now it seems like he's shooting 1,000 jumpers a day. A little late? Hard to say. Draymond's game only came around the 2015 season. That changed the league quite a bit. As far as condition, Randle's in his early 20's, playing basketball everyday. Of course he thought he could probably eat what he wanted at anytime he wanted. And before that, he was so physically opposing, he didn't have to work as hard on his conditioning. Now he does. Not making excuses for him. I'm just bringing up possible reasons.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
22 wrote:
nash wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Kinda Davian George.

Embiid is made of glass, but after three years of injuries if you look at his averages and advanced stats it is clear he is a superstar and a pro because he was in outstanding shape before the last injury.

Jordan had a serious injury early in his career and came back like Jordan.

I appreciate the work Julius is doing to be the best player he can be, but it is not exceptional, it is what you expect from a pro athlete earning millions to do every single season not just a contract year.

I hope it is a signal of maturity not just a way to get a big pay day.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I have Randle's personal trainer coming on my podcast tomorrow to discuss his offseason workout regiment. Let me know if you have any questions.

What's your success rate turning poor shooters into passable ones?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Kinda Davian George.

Do you think Randle didn't work hard last offseason to improve? He did.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Julius was always a hard worker, and has been since he'd been here, there's no evidence of the contrary.

Where he faltered was his diet and his conditioning training. Because of the motor he plays with he was likely in shape, but not in the kind of shape necessary to play with his kind of motor against an NBA schedule for all 4 quarters a night.

This is the kind of stuff kids figure out after they've gone through a few years in the league and establish what they can and can't get away with and what their body can and can't get away with and what they need to do to maintain.

Luke last season helped Randle in that aspect. Especially on the diet and conditioning part, whats more important is he took that into the off-season and has run with it and taken it to another level.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject:

I've said it before i'll say it again, it even took Kobe Bryant a few years to change up his diet to something more healthy.

Kobe always put in the work in the gym but he was also known for loving pizza and cheeseburgers. That time he got food poisoning during the 02 playoffs he ordered a cheeseburger and cheesecake for dinner.

It was that following summer when Kobe finally started adding more muscle to his frame.

There are exceptions, but it usually takes guys a few years to really find out workout routine and diet that fits them.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
I've said it before i'll say it again, it even took Kobe Bryant a few years to change up his diet to something more healthy.

Kobe always put in the work in the gym but he was also known for loving pizza and cheeseburgers. That time he got food poisoning during the 02 playoffs he ordered a cheeseburger and cheesecake for dinner.

It was that following summer when Kobe finally started adding more muscle to his frame.

There are exceptions, but it usually takes guys a few years to really find out workout routine and diet that fits them.

Exactly. The assumption that Randle wasn't a hard worker before is just plain false
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Bryant back in 2002 was in the middle of his 666 training regiment, which had factors of muscle growth, quickness, adding post base, leaning out towards the end. All over the spectrum to be best physical shape for his respective talents of that particular year.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject:

I remember Kobe abruptly ending that 666 regimen and I believe it was strictly an off-season thing.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Crazy dude.

https://www.popworkouts.com/kobe-bryant-workout-routine/

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Especially with the Russell deal going down, I really think Magic wanted to give Randle this year to prove he can play at the next level, going from a starting rotation guy to becoming a borderline star player. The 2 max plan is paramount, but if they can save Randle and sign the 2 max players, they will give it a go.

I think Randle's attitude was more highly thought of by Magic, and that is why Randle is here and Russell is in New Jersey.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject:

People really focus on how much this season means to Randle and it does mean a lot to Randle, he has a lot to continue to show as he continues to grow.

When you break down the math, if the Cap is going to be 103 next season

We could get two 30m Max Contracts and retain Randle if we moved Clarkson without taking salary back and stretched Deng, but we'd also need to move, Hart or Zubac.

But really, if we were landing DeMarcus Cousins and Paul George, AND retaining Randle I don't think the Lakers would lose sleep over moving Zubac or Hart in order to make the numbers work, or Nance for that matter.

If Randle continues to build on what he's done last season and that conditioning gets to the level we hope and expect it to, then it will become more of a season of Nance, Hart and Zubac needing to prove they should stay on the roster after this season.

Of course we could just land one max player and then retain everyone else. I'd be behind that fully as well.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
Especially with the Russell deal going down, I really think Magic wanted to give Randle this year to prove he can play at the next level, going from a starting rotation guy to becoming a borderline star player. The 2 max plan is paramount, but if they can save Randle and sign the 2 max players, they will give it a go.

I think Randle's attitude was more highly thought of by Magic, and that is why Randle is here and Russell is in New Jersey.

I believe Randle has until the the end of the season to show us that he deserves to get paid and can be a key player in the Lakers future lineup.

This will determine if they need to move Deng and assets for an expiring or into cap space after the season assuming Clarkson is gone. This lets the Lakers sign two maxes and resign Randle. Otherwise, don't give up assets unless the right deal comes along and just stretch Deng and let Randle sign elsewhere.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Working as hard as you can doesn't mean working as efficiently or as productively as you can. Why would you expect every young player to know how to maximize their offseason?

His first real one he spent most of it rehabbing and trusting his leg again.

Then he had an idea of what he wanted to accomplish and tried.

This time he seems a little bit informed. Contract year is a poor criticism.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Agreed, there's a difference between working harder and working smarter.

Randle is now doing both
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Crazy dude.

https://www.popworkouts.com/kobe-bryant-workout-routine/

I actually don't doubt that about half of the league's players regimen's are like this now. Maybe the 3 hours of track work/running, is like 2 hours, and an extra hour of on-court time. I bet Kobe was on the court more than 2 hours. Kobe's cardio in his prime was unmatched.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
I have Randle's personal trainer coming on my podcast tomorrow to discuss his offseason workout regiment. Let me know if you have any questions.

What's your success rate turning poor shooters into passable ones?

A

What is the name of your podcast ?
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject:

The notion that Randle suddenly is working hard in a contract year is preposterous. His body underwent serious alterations from when he was drafted until last season. Last season he was saw improvement in his jump shot, finishing, defense, and passing. This is just a progression of that. However I think he realized that stamina was an issue for him and looked for ways to address it, as well as continuing to improve his jump shot.

I'm sure the fact that he is heading into free agency gives him extra motivation, but he's always been a hard worker.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1069, 1070, 1071 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1070 of 1536
Jump to: