The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1071, 1072, 1073 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject:

JohnWick wrote:
ocho wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
I have Randle's personal trainer coming on my podcast tomorrow to discuss his offseason workout regiment. Let me know if you have any questions.

I purchased one of his 8 week programs from his website. I'm 6 weeks in and the results are pretty significant. I'm down 13lbs and made big increases in strength and endurance.

Link to his site? I wouldn't mind trying out one his programs

https://www.myexobody.com/

And the one he did was

https://www.myexobody.com/product-page/exo-burn
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
MJST wrote:
Randle's confidence in his range is through the roof right now this off-season, he's shooting trick shots and one legged floats from three and drilling them.

While I don't think he'll be doing that in games, it's nice to see the confidence in his range increasing, I'll make a vid later with it

But, but, Randle can't shoot. I mean, we know this because he didn't shoot great or use his left hand a lot last year. Players can't chat, can they?

I've seen the other videos and heard reports by Lakers staff that he's making 25 to 35 straight 3' while working out, yet people keep insisting that he currently can't shoot.

I'll probably stay out of some conversations until people start discussing factual points without the "Sasha was a great shooter in practice" (according to Phil the exaggerator) so that doesn't mean anything.

All I can do is post videos like this

And allow people to talk about it
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
MJST wrote:
Randle's confidence in his range is through the roof right now this off-season, he's shooting trick shots and one legged floats from three and drilling them.

While I don't think he'll be doing that in games, it's nice to see the confidence in his range increasing, I'll make a vid later with it

But, but, Randle can't shoot. I mean, we know this because he didn't shoot great or use his left hand a lot last year. Players can't chat, can they?

I've seen the other videos and heard reports by Lakers staff that he's making 25 to 35 straight 3' while working out, yet people keep insisting that he currently can't shoot.

I'll probably stay out of some conversations until people start discussing factual points without the "Sasha was a great shooter in practice" (according to Phil the exaggerator) so that doesn't mean anything.

I know you guy are excited about Randle and I dont want to be a downer but its a long offseason and I'm bored.

Randle was one of the worst 3pt shooter in the league last year. This year I'd bet money he will have the worst 3pt% of our starters and worse than anyone not named Zubac. I hope I'm wrong but I dont have faith Randle is going to turn into Green over one summer.

Honestly I think he will never be on D. Green level. Green is one of the best 3D guys around.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
MJST wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
MJST wrote:

I know you guy are excited about Randle and I dont want to be a downer but its a long offseason and I'm bored.

Randle was one of the worst 3pt shooter in the league last year. This year I'd bet money he will have the worst 3pt% of our starters and worse than anyone not named Zubac. I hope I'm wrong but I dont have faith Randle is going to turn into Green over one summer.

Honestly I think he will never be on D. Green level. Green is one of the best 3D guys around.

He shot 31% from three once given the green light to start shooting from there post ASB from the PHX game onward in the flow of the offense as an actual option. That was pretty good considering where it'd been prior.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
MJST wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
MJST wrote:

He shot 31% from three once given the green light to start shooting from there post ASB from the PHX game onward in the flow of the offense as an actual option. That was pretty good considering where it'd been prior.

Yeah I did like seeing his progression in the second half and I do see him improving but nothing major and still behind any starter on the Lakers right now.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
MJST wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
MJST wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
MJST wrote:

Yeah I did like seeing his progression in the second half and I do see him improving but nothing major and still behind any starter on the Lakers right now.

Just a few percentage points above what he did at the end of the season would be enough.

He'd be a 16/10/5 guy while shooting 51% from the field and 34% from three.

I'd take that. That would be about the next step in his progression.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
MJST wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
MJST wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
MJST wrote:

Just a few percentage points above what he did at the end of the season would be enough.

If he did this it would answer a lot of my question marks on him. It's a new season and he's still young but I'm really liking Kuz and Nance so let the best man win
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
MJST wrote:

Quote:
This program is stacked with compound lifts that will develop thickness and volume in every body part you can imagine.

Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
MJST wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
MJST wrote:

Quote:
This program is stacked with compound lifts that will develop thickness and volume in every body part you can imagine.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
MJST wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
MJST wrote:

Randle is so far ahead of where Green was at 22 that it isn't even close.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
MJST wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
MJST wrote:

Quote:

Amoila after Julius returns from his honeymoon

https://giant.gfycat.com/LoneInsistentFrog.gif
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
MJST wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
MJST wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
MJST wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
MJST wrote:

If he did this it would answer a lot of my question marks on him. It's a new season and he's still young but I'm really liking Kuz and Nance so let the best man win

Perhaps the best part(or second behind the pts) of a 3 point shooter, be it a guard/wing/big, is the attention they draw from the defense(gravity).

Curry is the best example of course. Raining down three's from almost anywhere on the court, teams have to keep an eye on him as soon as he crosses half court.

Randle's current offensive problem, as he solved many of his other ones, is his lack of gravity if he's what 20ft? plus from the basket. Players will sag off him, or not close out.

Randle's success, like Draymond's, won't ultimately be based on him being an expert 3 point shooter. Nor does he even have to be average on contested 3s. He just needs to be good enough on open 3s so a team has to keep an eye on him. Good enough that the defense has to contest his 3s, good enough that the defense has to close out on him, good enough so that a defender stays close enough that he doesn't have to close out. Keeping that floor spread.

I'm not sure what exactly that percentage that is, I've made a decent effort to find this data but this isn't something I have experience looking for and I'm not ready to spend the time to go down that rabbit hole tonight.

Let's say he reaches that level, but overall he is a 32%(solid at open threes less so at contested ones), Nance is a 34% and Kuzma is a 36% overall 3pt shooter.

If they're all taking lets say three 3pa a game for simplicity's sake, over 10 games that's

Randle: 9.6pts
Nance: 10.2
Kuzma: 10.8

This doesn't seem that farfetched right? How much more attention does the other team give Kuzma or Nance than Randle. Are they sagging off them less? Maybe they close out Kuzma a little harder than Randle.

But as far as 3 point shooting goes, they're essentially accomplishing the same thing for the offense, spreading the floor.

The next step should be pretty clear though, what happens when they close out? I'd take Randle attacking a close out over Nance/Kuzma ten times out of ten. Ingram is going to be really good at this too with them longs legs/arms. This shouldn't even be close, especially if Randle has gotten quicker/more explosive/agile than last year.

Randle is a more dynamic player.

If Kuzma is that good at shooting that he's hitting a good percentage on contested and open threes, and he's able to do it at volume, then that can change the situation too.

My point is that if Randle can shoot well enough on open three's that he demands the defense to contest, then a few percentage points in overall 3pt% isn't going to move the needle in favor of Nance/Kuzma at all.

Defense will though of course, but that's not the point of this post.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Roon wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
MJST wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
MJST wrote:

Quote:

Amoila after Julius returns from his honeymoon

https://giant.gfycat.com/LoneInsistentFrog.gif

Retired gif? This is perfect.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
MJST wrote:

Factual point: Randle is a bad shooter

Hopeful point: Randle is working on his jumper and converting it when wide open in practice

Hopeful point 2: it was reported that Nance and his son were working on their jumpers and converting them in a high clip when wide open in practice

Factual point 2: Zubac was not shooting the lights out in summer league

Definite factual point: we have to wait untill pre season before we can talk about how improved are our players in actual game situation

I'm happy to see how Randle has been working on his body and his skillset, who knows if he can turn himself into a relevant and coveted young prospect, that would be great for us both keeping or moving him.

Re: Factual point 1...So a bad shooter only turns into a good shooter the instant fans witness him doing it during an NBA game?

Randle's outside shot 2 years ago didn't even go straight, especially when someone ran towards him. If you ever saw a shooter improve, it happens the way Randle has done it. Bad outside shooters, like Tarik Black, can't even shoot consistently when warming up.

Re: Hopeful point - Reports from Ireland, via Lakers staff, is that Randle has been making 25+ straight CHALLENGED 3's. Based on that info and my own eye test, there's no debating that Randle is currently a good shooter.

Re: Hopeful point 2- The report of Zubac and Nance's shooting was about their 3 pt shooting. The only reports of how well they were doing ("shooting at a high clip") was from them. They were shooting 100 3's a day after working out. I assure you that no great or even good shooter ever changed anything by shooting 100 times a day.

Re: Factual point 2 - Zubac didn't shoot 3's well during the SPL after barely (by NBA standards) practicing them. No surprise there. That's the only shot competition he and Nance were reported to be involved in.

I've seen too many guys, professional and non, significantly improve shooting to not recognize good shooting, and I've done it too.

Ultimately my point is not about a "relevant and coveted player." I said the guy who literally couldn't shoot straight, is now a good shooter. Figuring that out isn't rocket science.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject:

What have I learned about Randle this summer?

1) He doesn't miss... Like ever.
2) He'd rather practice than get married.
3) He can workout anywhere, even behind an El Pollo Loco.
4) He's the only one that practices late, thus doubling the Lakers' utility bill.
5) He wants one of the two max spots.

So yeah, that's what I've learned about Randle thus far. 😂
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

It's not where Randle is compared to Green at 22. It's how far he has to go to get to Green now. Green is a top 5 F/C, I'm not sure if Randle will ever peak like Green but its worth taking another season to figure out what we have in Randle.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

It's not where Randle is compared to Green at 22. It's how far he has to go to get to Green now.
Green is a top 5 F/C, I'm not sure if Randle will ever peak like Green but its worth taking another season to figure out what we have in Randle.

Considering how hard of a worker + talented + being a smarter worker as well as a hard worker that Randle is + his consistent progression because of all those things, there's really no reason to believe that Randle won't reach a higher level.

When it comes to players with that kind of natural talent and work ethic, the only thing that holds them back is health, or not being a smart worker despite being a hard worker or having the inability to have that "extra gear" to kick into both on the court and off.

Fortunately for us Randle showed he has that gear, and like Luke said, it's about doing all the necessary things to ensure he remains in that gear as opposed to it being spurts. Which is why the conditioning became a vital target.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject:

In order news, Randle was working out at the facility past midnight last night.

It's the kind of work ethic that would make a certain Mamba proud. He legitimately and literally is the last guy to leave the gym.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

It's the kind of work ethic that would make a certain Mamba proud. He legitimately and literally is the last guy to leave the gym.

one of my fav things to do this summer is watch @trainao's insta story from the previous night's workout w/ Julius
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject:

What would be a respectable 3 point percentage for Randle this season? I'd say low-mid 30's. Just be a decent shooter and that changes a lot.

Nobody should hesitate to take an open 3 this season.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

He better play some D this season- otherwise his work ethic means nothing.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject:

How does he improve his off ball defensive awareness? That's my biggest concern for him and probably the biggest impediment to Jules getting his big extension for the Lakers. He can improve it but he has to make the effort/read.

The shooting, it's instinctual. I hope he will take the open 3 when given the look. He seems to shoot that better than a mid-range shot which just looks uncomfortable for him.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject:

True Lakers Fan wrote:
What would be a respectable 3 point percentage for Randle this season? I'd say low-mid 30's. Just be a decent shooter and that changes a lot.

Nobody should hesitate to take an open 3 this season.

That's the key. No hesitation.

Roon did a great job pointing this out. When that ball is swung to Randle and he's open he's got to fire it confidently and live with the results. With how his stroke is looking he should be able to hit mid 30's.

But it's the no hesitation which will cause the D to scramble. And he'll be able to attack a closeout better than any 4 we have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject:

Defense is going to take time in actual game situations. Also how we use him, will he transfer to being more of a small ball center instead of power forward?

He mainly has to prove his worth with the intensity, not taking possessions off, showing focus and resolve. Also the offensive stats, can he shoot midrange and open 3 pointers well enough to be respected, and keep the paint unclogged?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject:

There are a lot of things he can improve with just effort and conditioning.

Too many times he would jog back; he can and should improve that with better conditioning.

I think at times he also expended too much on the offensive end, usually on ISOs. I think we have better overall weapons this year (compared to being saddled with guys like Moz/Deng last year) and he can conserve energy on that end.

Defensively, there is no reason he can't be at least an average NBA defender. Incredibly strong, quick and nimble. It's effort and focus that needs to be improved.

So he really has all the tools to do it. Just needs to do it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1071, 1072, 1073 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1072 of 1536
Jump to: