The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1087, 1088, 1089 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
I'm honestly most excited to see Julius, coming into preseason. I've already seen glimpses of Lonzo and Brandon, but I'm ready to watch Julius break out this year and hopefully shoot 35% from three this year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

I totally agree on Lonzo grabbing rebounds, or getting the ball to him as quickly as possible, being our best offense. That's the main reason in fact I don't think Randle is a good transition fit with him. He's too in love with his ballhandling to give it up after rebounds, and not particularly interested in making outlets. I think he passed it behind in transition in the form of kickbacks to Young more than ahead for his assists last season. Of course, maybe he was forced to do that to some extent because everyone he was playing with was so damn slow, as you pointed out in your other article.

Last edited by greenfrog on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
I totally agree on Lonzo grabbing rebounds, or getting the ball to him as quickly as possible, being our best offense. That's the main reason in fact I don't think Randle is a good transition fit with him. He's too in love with his ballhandling to give it up after rebounds, and not particularly interested in making outlets. I think he passed it behind in transition in form of kickbacks to Young more than ahead for his assists last season. Of course, maybe he was forced to do that to some extent because everyone he was playing with was so damn slow, as you pointed out in your other article.

Actually Luke wanted Randle to grab & go. And like GT pointed out in the video, that's a great secondary weapon to have. Randle is both a capable and willing outlet passer. The vid shows some of this.

The more guys who can be effective in transition the better because it will keep the defense guessing. As great as Lonzo is with passing, teams would eventually adjust if we have no other weapons. Gotta keep em on their heals
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject:

One of the reasons I want to see Randle do well this year is because I like the notion of having him and Ingram be a dynamic pair of finishers on the break.

Back in the Showtime days, we ran the darn-near perfect fast break.

Magic always ran in the middle, basically no more than 1-2 feet to either side of the circle at half-court. It's amazing and appalling how few guys actually run point on the fast break in the middle of the court anymore. I swear, guys who try to run a break while moving within 5 feet of the sideline are just shooting themselves in the foot.

And on the wings, it'd always be a pairing of either Worthy, Scott, Wilkes, or Coop. Every guy was taught to basically tough the sidelines early on in order to spread the defenders as wide as possible before diving to the rim or camping out at the arc.

Yeah, Worthy would pretty much always finish at the rim, but Magic could dish him the ball 20 feet out and Worthy had the handles and length to slither around most defenders. Scott was also particularly underrated in that he could bomb from the corner, or fake the shot, put the ball down, and drive to the court with authority.

Add in the secondary wave with guys like Green, Rambis, and Thompson, able to run from paint-to-paint, or Coop camping out for kick-out 3s, and we could literally run a 4 or 5-man break (if Kareem was on the bench). And in the '87 Finals, we often ran with Coop, Scott, and even Worthy running point down the court. We were that good.

I think Randle can be similarly effective in transition, especially with Lonzo. The Lakers drafted Worthy in part because they needed someone fast enough to get ahead of Magic, big enough to finish over defenders, and fluid enough to catch the ball and adjust his attack from different areas near the rim. Randle has the speed and strength, and at 6'8 w/o shoes and a 7-0 wingspan, he's got the length to finish. Yes, Ingram has the bigger wingspan, but eh's still working on the strength - and the two of them complement each other well in that regard.

PLUS, having Randle's ability to push the ball up-court would make our break even more effective. I think Randle might be faster than Ingram with the ball in a flat-out dribble-sprint at this stage, but even assuming Ingram continues his improvement, we now have at least 4 rotation guys - Lonzo, Randle, Ingram, and Clarkson - who can push the ball up on the break.

If Randle can finally have his breakout year, we could be looking at a return to the pick-your-poison Showtime breaks of old.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
One of the reasons I want to see Randle do well this year is because I like the notion of having him and Ingram be a dynamic pair of finishers on the break.

Back in the Showtime days, we ran the darn-near perfect fast break.

Magic always ran in the middle, basically no more than 1-2 feet to either side of the circle at half-court. It's amazing and appalling how few guys actually run point on the fast break in the middle of the court anymore. I swear, guys who try to run a break while moving within 5 feet of the sideline are just shooting themselves in the foot.

And on the wings, it'd always be a pairing of either Worthy, Scott, Wilkes, or Coop. Every guy was taught to basically tough the sidelines early on in order to spread the defenders as wide as possible before diving to the rim or camping out at the arc.

Yeah, Worthy would pretty much always finish at the rim, but Magic could dish him the ball 20 feet out and Worthy had the handles and length to slither around most defenders. Scott was also particularly underrated in that he could bomb from the corner, or fake the shot, put the ball down, and drive to the court with authority.

Add in the secondary wave with guys like Green, Rambis, and Thompson, able to run from paint-to-paint, or Coop camping out for kick-out 3s, and we could literally run a 4 or 5-man break (if Kareem was on the bench). And in the '87 Finals, we often ran with Coop, Scott, and even Worthy running point down the court. We were that good.

I think Randle can be similarly effective in transition, especially with Lonzo. The Lakers drafted Worthy in part because they needed someone fast enough to get ahead of Magic, big enough to finish over defenders, and fluid enough to catch the ball and adjust his attack from different areas near the rim. Randle has the speed and strength, and at 6'8 w/o shoes and a 7-0 wingspan, he's got the length to finish. Yes, Ingram has the bigger wingspan, but eh's still working on the strength - and the two of them complement each other well in that regard.

PLUS, having Randle's ability to push the ball up-court would make our break even more effective. I think Randle might be faster than Ingram with the ball in a flat-out dribble-sprint at this stage, but even assuming Ingram continues his improvement, we now have at least 4 rotation guys - Lonzo, Randle, Ingram, and Clarkson - who can push the ball up on the break.

If Randle can finally have his breakout year, we could be looking at a return to the pick-your-poison Showtime breaks of old.

EXACTLY.

You need multiple weapons to be deadly on the break
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject:

They should title this video fresh snow

https://instagram.com/p/BZU6H6klDsl/
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Nice Raining 3's

This is the best unedited footage of Randle shooting 3's I've seen. I can't hate on that video 12 in a row I think
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
22 wrote:

Nice Raining 3's

This is the best unedited footage of Randle shooting 3's I've seen. I can't hate on that video 12 in a row I think

Great shooting but he walks funny now. A bit to hurried. That could hurt his game and his hips.

I'm being facetious of course.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject:

I love the sound the nets making on his shot.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
22 wrote:

Nice Raining 3's

Great shooting but he walks funny now. A bit to hurried. That could hurt his game and his hips.

I'm being facetious of course.

Thats how the kids walk nowadays my bro
pkflyers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Big Game James wrote:
I'm Kwame Brown and every one of my posts seem to be moved. I find this perplexing because I've never had a post move before!

http://tinyurl.com/snxt
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject:

is there anymore beautifuller of a sound my brethren and sistren?

I POSIT NOT
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject:

Luv randle. Reminds me of a composed Artest (before the rumble).

I just hope that confidence that allows him to irritate and face up with superstars at any time doesn't flow to his $$ expectations.

If he understands no one in the league is paid their full value and fits our cap it will be a miracle.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject:

I'm hoping:

1. Brook helps Jules with shooting. Earlier in his career, Brook was not known as a 3 point shooter, but a decent mid-range shooter. What suddenly clicked for Brook to be a high volume, pretty good accuracy 3 point shooter?

2. Bogut gives Jules tips about setting screens. Bogut is one of the best. Also, Bogut will have a wealth of info about defense, particularly team defense.

I think our bigs have a tremendous amount of info and knowledge to impart on Jules. Jules has put in the work to transform his body; these vets hopefully can help transform his basketball mind next.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'm hoping:

1. Brook helps Jules with shooting. Earlier in his career, Brook was not known as a 3 point shooter, but a decent mid-range shooter. What suddenly clicked for Brook to be a high volume, pretty good accuracy 3 point shooter?

2. Bogut gives Jules tips about setting screens. Bogut is one of the best. Also, Bogut will have a wealth of info about defense, particularly team defense.

I think our bigs have a tremendous amount of info and knowledge to impart on Jules. Jules has put in the work to transform his body; these vets hopefully can help transform his basketball mind next.

I think the answer to #1 is Lopez was always a good ~80% FT shooter with good mechanics so you could see how it would translate to the arc if given more opportunity/reps. Randle is about 10% lower from the line and his mechanics were a mess. Hopefully he's cleaned that up.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
I totally agree on Lonzo grabbing rebounds, or getting the ball to him as quickly as possible, being our best offense. That's the main reason in fact I don't think Randle is a good transition fit with him. He's too in love with his ballhandling to give it up after rebounds, and not particularly interested in making outlets. I think he passed it behind in transition in the form of kickbacks to Young more than ahead for his assists last season. Of course, maybe he was forced to do that to some extent because everyone he was playing with was so damn slow, as you pointed out in your other article.

I agree with this statement, but Lonzo is kinda transcendent with this ability to elevate a team's passing. I mean did you actually see Vander Blue passing the rock during the SPL games? I never thought I would ever see that, so with Ball, I think anything is possible.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject:

Julius will take part in the 3 point contest this year. Book it
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

I agree with this statement, but Lonzo is kinda transcendent with this ability to elevate a team's passing. I mean did you actually see Vander Blue passing the rock during the SPL games? I never thought I would ever see that, so with Ball, I think anything is possible.

Randle was doing what the coach asked him to do. Simple as that.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

It's like they didn't watch games last year, didn't read or hear interviews where Luke said he wanted Randle & Nance to grab & go, or didn't watch GT's video where he has multiple clips of Randle doing exactly what they said he couldn't do

But who cares. There will always be those posters who only come in here to post something negative, even if it's false. Find me some instances of the coaching staff complaining he wasn't outletting enough lol.

The fact is Randle has no issues throwing outlet passes, and his ability to be a 1 man fastbreak will only enhance Lonzo's ability on the break by being another threat.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'm hoping:

22 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

It's like they didn't watch games last year, didn't read or hear interviews where Luke said he wanted Randle & Nance to grab & go, or didn't watch GT's video where he has multiple clips of Randle doing exactly what they said he couldn't do

But who cares. There will always be those posters who only come in here to post something negative, even if it's false. Find me some instances of the coaching staff complaining he wasn't outletting enough lol.

The fact is Randle has no issues throwing outlet passes, and his ability to be a 1 man fastbreak will only enhance Lonzo's ability on the break by being another threat.

prefuse1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject:

Greenfrog has always been negative about Randle the seconds after he was drafted.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Yesterday, as I was losing to Phoenix the entire game in 2K18, I wondered why Ball and Ingram were doing so bad. Ignoring the user timed shooting, I blamed their hard night of partying the night before.

Well, along comes Julius and his wonderful mismatch against every PF in the league and turned a 4th quarter 10 point deficit into a 7 point win. So many boards, so many easy baskets, I wonder if I am all to excited about the wrong players this year.

No body else try this on their 2k, mine is the only one that foretells the future. Currently we are 2-0 with $70 million of cap space coming up in the summer.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:
Yesterday, as I was losing to Phoenix the entire game in 2K18, I wondered why Ball and Ingram were doing so bad. Ignoring the user timed shooting, I blamed their hard night of partying the night before.

Well, along comes Julius and his wonderful mismatch against every PF in the league and turned a 4th quarter 10 point deficit into a 7 point win. So many boards, so many easy baskets, I wonder if I am all to excited about the wrong players this year.

No body else try this on their 2k, mine is the only one that foretells the future. Currently we are 2-0 with $70 million of cap space coming up in the summer.

They put a lot of money into making 2K18 as real as possible. So, if it works there, it has to portend--well, at least from the perspective of the other NBA teams--what will happen this season.

--Anonymous
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Randle is a monster in that game
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1087, 1088, 1089 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1088 of 1536
Jump to: