The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1136, 1137, 1138 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:

If he had performed well in practice with the starting unit, he'd be playing right now.

yeah except he did, got a lot of credit for Luke for his play in practice, in particular defensively and had the closest games when going up against Lonzo's group.

Then when Luke tried to bench him and come up with BS reasons and had him, Kuzma and Thomas Bryant go up against the starting unit in practice, Randle's team won 3 out of 3 of those games going up against the starters including Nance and Lopez.

So yeah. that doesn't work either.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for those numbers LS, and I'm not trying to be biased about this. I REALLY don't trust other websites with the lineups and positions. I often feel they go wrong, because of the switches involved.

The Utah game for me, is a big example of that.

It also doesn't indicate, who the primary matchup was that he scored the most on.

Sacramento, for me, was his "breakout game." Notice how many minutes at backup C compared to the other games. It was easily his most complete game on both ends of the floor for a VERY long time.

Frankly, I don't see what the big deal is unless you're looking at rewarding Randle vs. what the staff thinks is best for the team for wins.

Yeah, Nance had a bad preseason and may have had a lot of practice next to Lopez.

It's working. As bad as the Clipper game was, the Lakers did miss a lot of easy looks too. Miss shots and there's no space anywhere.

But, if Randle wants to play at a lower level, hurt his trade value/stock/contract, so be it. Doing this still doesn't get him to start.

Nance may not show much in terms of skill improvement, but he undoubtedbly makes the most of what he can do on the floor.

Do you think Randle does? I haven't for a long time.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Randle is like the kid in 7th grade who had a massive growth spurt over the summer and is now 6 foot 3 - 180lbs..... playing ball against kids half his size.

Except he's never gotten used to his speed, size, strength and plays like a bull in a china shop-- on crack.

Damn near every game, he barrels into the lane for a shot or rebound.. screaming like he's waking up from a bad nightmare and ends up halfway injuring someone (teammates included)

I nicknamed him "extra chromosome" last year because of this. ( I know, it's effed up) But just watch him... its true.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Any good trade ideas for Randle?

Which teams would have the most interest in him?

I am thinking he might be a good fit for Dallas, NY, Miami..

Randle for Winslow? Randle for Noel?
Laker Junkie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject:

If this trend keeps up for the next 10 games, they need to make good with him and his agent and trade him. Hes literally losing millions sitting on the bench like this, and it wont be good for relations.

I love Randle with my heart but my head says otherwise. We need to trade him for mid to a late first rounder hopefully. Who are logical trade partners?
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Could it be he did not mesh well when he was paired with Lonzo during practice or negatively affected ball movement Luke wants to implement? Anyway the outcome of scrimmages have little relevance.

Now his maturity / attitude is being questioned. It's okay to be disappointed but his true self is now on display.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
Damn near every game, he barrels into the lane for a shot or rebound.. screaming like he's waking up from a bad nightmare and ends up halfway injuring someone (teammates included)

loooooooooooooooooool
HellCrowe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Here are Luke's comments on why he likes Nance so much. Seems like a shot at Randle not wanting to do blue collar role player dirty work. Thoughts on this?
https://twitter.com/SerenaWinters/status/921543955900018689

if Luke actually wants to act like Randle isn't a "blue collar" and "gets his hands dirty" kind of player. Than he's as delusional as Magic was about Russell.

Seems like they're trying to do with Randle what they did with Russell and hoping no one's paying attention to the games and focusing on the narrative.

I think you are mistaken with the whole idea of "blue collar." What Nance does is fill his role what Julius does is too much or too little. Blue collar is the guy who comes into work no questions asked and does his job.

His consistency on offense and defense is lacking. From screens, passing, to defensive effort, and everything in between. He sees himself as starter material but has not developed his game in the way we all thought he would. Bully ball and pouting through 3 healthy years. He is such an enigma because he has the speed, strength, and drive however it IS trumped by his poor IQ, lack of consistency, and immaturity.

In addition, while he may be more athletic and has more upside than Nance , from what I get from Coach Luke is he does not mesh as well with the first group as Nance does. Part of the reason is his attitude of i did everything as expected so I "SHOULD" be a starter. He even walks out/dips interviews. Who is this guy? Sorry but the boy is starting to act like Rodman, Boogie, and Westbrook combined... all attitude and immaturity minus actual credentials. What does he have to do? grow up!
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
dao wrote:

If he had performed well in practice with the starting unit, he'd be playing right now.

yeah except he did, got a lot of credit for Luke for his play in practice, in particular defensively and had the closest games when going up against Lonzo's group.

Then when Luke tried to bench him and come up with BS reasons and had him, Kuzma and Thomas Bryant go up against the starting unit in practice, Randle's team won 3 out of 3 of those games going up against the starters including Nance and Lopez.

ì
so we're judging practice performance by scrimmage records...lol okay. Bottom line is this. The games count now. We can see them play in actual regular season games. And thus far, Randle has been the third best PF, behind both Kuzma and Nance. He can't complain about the benching until he actually proves that he gives the team a better chance to win than the guy playing in front of him. And thus far, he Randle hasn't given us any convincing evidence of that. It honestly looks like his heart isn't in it anymore, like he is somehow insulted by coming off the bench. That diva attitude won't get him anywhere in this league. He showed a lot more defensive focus in the preseason. Hopefully he can get back to that now that the games actually count. He should be dominating second units....but our bench unit has looked pretty weak with him and Clarkson. Randle has been very disappointing thus far, but I think he will snap out of it soon, because millions of dollars are at stake for him.

Last edited by dao on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Any good trade ideas for Randle?

Which teams would have the most interest in him?

I am thinking he might be a good fit for Dallas, NY, Miami..

Randle for Winslow? Randle for Noel?

Bucks trade exception.
And we'll take Monroe for Deng and 2nd
Aike
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:

What's happening seems pretty obvious.

The Lakers have decided they don't want to pay Randle.

They are smart enough to know that playing Randle beside Lopez will make Randle look a lot better, but won't help us win that many more games.

They don't want to feel any pressure from the fans to overpay Randle and ruin their (hopefully not pipe)dream about free agency next summer.

So Randle is getting D'Lo'd, and he's playing right into their hands by sulking.

If Randle gets his chin up and becomes a model citizen off the bench, Luke will say he was right, Randle was better for the team coming off the bench. Then he gets low-balled in negotiations (at best).

At worst, and looking more likely by the day, they move him for junk, and most of the fan base is fine with it because they've decided that Randle is trash anyway.

Can't say I'm thrilled with the new culture around the team, and I've been a fan for 36 years. Wish the Buss kids would sell.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
MJST wrote:
dao wrote:

ì
so we're judging practice performance on scrimmage based on scrimmage records...lol okay.

Dude don't try to move the goalposts now. You made it about performing in practice, so I told you how he's been performing in practice. So don't suddenly try to act like "oh it's about practice now huh?" cause your argument got disproven.

Last edited by MJST on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
HellCrowe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Did you guys see Nance towards the end of the game. He was about to check back in. Probably for Kuzma but with how the game was going he didn't. I can bet you he was just as happy with the win with or without coming back in. Randle on the other hand...
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject:

HellCrowe wrote:
Did you guys see Nance towards the end of the game. He was about to check back in. Probably for Kuzma but with how the game was going he didn't. I can bet you he was just as happy with the win with or without coming back in. Randle on the other hand...

Um Nance was back in, he made the bad switch that allowed Booker to get open for three and then he got the block at the end before the bad call on Lonzo.

Seriously... stuff like this makes me wonder who actually watched the game.

Why the heck let facts get in the way of a narrative eh?

PlantedTanks wrote:
Could it be he did not mesh well when he was paired with Lonzo during practice or negatively affected ball movement

If Luke wants to implement ball movement maybe he shouldn't encourage our least efficient player of last season to be an iso machine while telling people like Kuzma who was one of our most least efficient to stop "breaking the offense" to score.

Like I said, Luke's a walking hypocrite and makes rules he acts like are for everyone when really they're for everyone but the favored. That's why I said he's an "imaginary brass ring" coach. Unlike Popovich who actually treats everyone on equal terms, and doesn't just say it but do the opposite.

Last edited by MJST on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
dao wrote:
MJST wrote:
dao wrote:

ì
so we're judging practice performance on scrimmage based on scrimmage records...lol okay.

Dude don't try to move the goalposts now. You made it about performing in practice, so I told you how he's been performing in practice. So don't suddenly try to act like "oh it's about practice now huh?" cause your argument got disproven.

I think he means scrimmage records doesn't mean you're performing well. By the way, was the scrimmage with or without Lonzo in the starting group ?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
HellCrowe wrote:

Um Nance was back in, he made the bad switch that allowed Booker to get open for three and then he got the block at the end before the bad call on Lonzo.

Nance stayed on Tyson. Not sure if they were calling for a switch or not as Brewer got screened by Tyson.

One thing I hope we can agree on is I don't see much of Randle cheering on the bench. But he usually sits towards the end, so harder for me to see on TV. It's easy to see Larry cheering though.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Kava wrote:
I'm open to the possibility that LNJ is being featured for a possible future trade.

JR is too good to get limited minutes imo. If he can learn some lessons in the meantime re: 'doing the small things' from Luke all the better.

JR's shot still look broke though on the release - almost like he is shooting it from his palm rather than from the e/o his fingertips.

Problem is, with the way Luke has gone about it, there's pretty much no reason to invest in anything Luke sells him from this point on.

What's Luke gonna say?

"Well if you improve your defense.."

Done already

"If you improve your stamina.."

Done already

"If you're better on the help side.."

Done already

"If you give the ball to Lonzo when you rebound.."

Done already

"If you bring the effort..."

Done already.

"If you improve from mid-"

Done already.

"Bodyfat-"

Done already.

Like I said . When Randle says "It's not up to me." It means that Luke has shown him that it doesn't matter what he does, how well he plays, or who he outplays, because Luke is going to do what he wants regardless.

It's no longer "If I can continue to do these things I'll continue to be rewarded with more minutes and playing time and the position I earned."

It's "It doesn't matter if I did enough to earn it, Luke's gonna do what he's gonna do."

THAT is the problem, and THAT is on Luke.

We must be watching different games. I'm seeing Julius come out two games in a row and the flow changed completely because he still doesn't read and react properly. He's a second too late and stops the ball. His effort has been lackadaisical, and the offense honestly looks like a guy who is shooting for a contract. The jumper while looking great in the offseason videos, still looks flat and unsuccessful. I watched him last night on his supposedly improved help D allow Mike James to dribble right beside of him as he past JC up for an uncontested layup.

Right now, the way Julius has played, he looks like a guy who is putting his starting spot and contract before the team. He's absolutely been outplayed by Larry and Kyle. You're a guy who LOVES to talk crap about Ingram to prop your boys Dlo and JR up, buy Julius is much worse for finding himself in an Iso with his head down throwing up some crazy shot. The guy even pulled up from midrange on a fastbreaks that we had numbers on. Ive supported Julio since day one and was absolutely dying to see him excess this year but he just doesn't look like he's going to fit. He needs to find a team where he's going to get to be a big focal point of the offense and be allowed to play through his mental lapses.

He's much too talented to play 18 minutes but just doesn't fit with this team enough to warrant much more IMO.
HellCrowe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
HellCrowe wrote:

LOL! Nance came back in at less than 20 seconds for Lopezel. Come again...

LAL - Lopez Substitution replaced by Nance Jr. 17.1 sec. and more after to for matchup. I'm talking way before that... say maybe 2 minutes.

I remember because I was looking to see if they were going to subsitute out for all the starters. Nance barely played the 4th.

Last edited by HellCrowe on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
MJST wrote:
dao wrote:
MJST wrote:
dao wrote:

ì

I think he means scrimmage records doesn't mean you're performing well. By the way, was the scrimmage with or without Lonzo in the starting group ?

Without. When Luke used Lonzo it wasn't with the starting lineup, it was lineups he made individually with one starter and their team against another starter and their team. Randle's teams had the closest games with Lonzo's out of the other starters.

By the time Luke started using lineups against each other Lonzo was out with the ankle sprain. Keep in mind regardless of that, that the other team had Ingram, Nance and Lopez, and Randle,Kuzma and Thomas Bryant.

Enough said about who outplayed who in "practice" and in fact a lot of Randle's credit from Luke in practice came from him on the defensive end.

Luke has to tell Randle that it "isn't about who is the better player, or who outplayed who" when he tries to justify starting Nance because he himself knows Randle is the better player and outplayed Nance. But is gonna go with Nance anyway.

That is why Randle's answer now is "It's not up to me." because Luke with his flip floppiness, double talk and empty promises essentially has set the tone that it no longer matters if you outplay someone, or even if you're a better player than someone, you aren't getting rewarded for it, cause Luke is gonna do what he wants.

When you take that off the table you start losing a locker room. Cause your rhetoric of "work hard, and everyone is treated equal" goes up in smoke the moment you go "Yeah you're the better player, and outplayed him, but he's still gonna start."

Like I said, Luke could have actually proven it if he'd given Kuzma some pre-season games at the 3 while Ingram was out or even over Ingram and try Ingram off the bench. But he didn't. He actively avoided doing so, criticized Kuzma's shot selection while praising Ingram's, and handed Nance the starting spot that he didn't earn from Randle.

That is why "it's not up to me" is now the answer. Because Luke has shown him that good play no longer matters as 'earning it' was BS from the get go.

And as I said.. THAT is on Luke.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject:

HellCrowe wrote:

Nance came back in at the end of the game and STAYED in on the final play as well.

HellCrowe wrote:

LOL! Nance came back in at less than 20 seconds for Lopez

That's the end of the game, and he remained in during the final two pivotal plays.

Keep on, keepin on.

https://i.makeagif.com/media/8-19-2015/D8sxR1.gif
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
dao wrote:
MJST wrote:
dao wrote:

ì

It didn't get disproven by some scrimmage record posted by the media lol. Comparing their practice performance is moot because at the end of the day we do not see the practices. This should be obvious.

And I don't think it's all about practice. I think it ultimately comes down to performance in games. And Nance outperformed Randle last season(that alone justifies him getting the starting job imo), and he has done so again thus far this season(further reinforcing the notion that he deserved the chance he was given).

Last edited by dao on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
HellCrowe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
epak wrote:
MJST wrote:
dao wrote:
MJST wrote:
dao wrote:

ì

Without. When Luke used Lonzo it wasn't with the starting lineup, it was lineups he made individually with one starter and their team against another starter and their team. Randle's teams had the closest games with Lonzo's out of the other starters.

By the time Luke started using lineups against each other Lonzo was out with the ankle sprain. Keep in mind regardless of that, that the other team had Ingram, Nance and Lopez, and Randle,Kuzma and Thomas Bryant.

Enough said about who outplayed who in "practice" and in fact a lot of Randle's credit from Luke in practice came from him on the defensive end.

Luke has to tell Randle that it "isn't about who is the better player, or who outplayed who" when he tries to justify starting Nance because he himself knows Randle is the better player and outplayed Nance. But is gonna go with Nance anyway.

That is why Randle's answer now is "It's not up to me." because Luke with his flip floppiness, double talk and empty promises essentially has set the tone that it no longer matters if you outplay someone, or even if you're a better player than someone, you aren't getting rewarded for it, cause Luke is gonna do what he wants.

When you take that off the table you start losing a locker room. Cause your rhetoric of "work hard, and everyone is treated equal" goes up in smoke the moment you go "Yeah you're the better player, and outplayed him, but he's still gonna start."

Like I said, Luke could have actually proven it if he'd given Kuzma some pre-season games at the 3 while Ingram was out or even over Ingram and try Ingram off the bench. But he didn't. He actively avoided doing so, criticized Kuzma's shot selection while praising Ingram's, and handed Nance the starting spot that he didn't earn from Randle.

That is why "it's not up to me" is now the answer. Because Luke has shown him that good play no longer matters as 'earning it' was BS from the get go.

"it's not up to me" is a great answer because it isn't!! but let's talk about the attitude that comes along with that and inconsistency and immaturity.

He did everything possible but check his attitude at the door. How you gonna get 3 fouls in less than 30 seconds? Still waiting on a great screen, still waiting on that jump shot, still waiting... on Julius Randle. He's taken Mamba mentality with huge signs of weakness.
Aike
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject:

What would be best for the team would be Randle playing starter minutes beside Lopez. Luke knows this and Randle certainly knows this.

Since him going to the bench isn't best for the team, hard to blame him for not getting on board with it.

This move isn't about what's best for the team today, it's about what the leadership thinks is best for the organization later. They have two other solid options at PF with less financial commitment. They have cap space. They don't want to pay Randle and muck that up.

But the organization is dishonest. Julius Randle is a straight up kind of guy, and the organization isn't being straight with him. He's finally realized it, and it's hit him like a ton of bricks.

He should be "professional." Yes. But he's also 22. Possibly the grown men and women running the organization (and coaching him) should stop being snakes.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
epak wrote:
MJST wrote:
dao wrote:
MJST wrote:
dao wrote:

ì

we know three things (though I'm sure you disagree with the first, advanced metrics make it pretty clear):

1)Nance outplayed Randle last year.

2)Nance was given the starting job this year.

3)Thus far, Nance is outplaying Randle again.

This sequence of events seems pretty simple to me. To explain this sequence, you are bringing up scrimmage records, preseason, theories about Luke "actively" trying to sabotage Randle's breakout, etc etc. But I think Occum's Razor wins out here. Luke just thinks that Nance gives us the best chance to win.

Last edited by dao on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Aike wrote:
Julius Randle is a straight up kind of guy, and the organization isn't being straight with him. He's finally realized it, and it's hit him like a ton of bricks.

In my opinion, Randle isn't being "straight up" with himself. He is an average NBA player but is convinced he should be a star. I have said it before. He won't be happy until he accepts his place (role player) in the NBA and on this team.

The majority of all NBA players have to face the reality that they aren't stars. The fact that Randle has been on such an atrocious team during his NBA career has skewed this natural process for him. Now that the Lakers talent level has risen, Randle is settling into his natural spot. It's tough to accept and I feel for him, but fighting it will only hurt his career.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1136, 1137, 1138 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1137 of 1536
Jump to: