The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1200, 1201, 1202 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frank70
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject:

Beware - This is going to be a rant:

I have enough of Randles play. Of course it's subjective - but i just can't stand this type of player. Total lack of basketball skills - all athleticism.

- No BB-iQ whatsoever. Misses reads regularly. Has problems to adapt to changing situations on the court
- He cannot shoot a jumper.
- He does not shoot an open jumper (hurts spacing tremendously).
- He cannot finish over length consistently (because he has no other shot than the left handed bankshot - watch Kuzma as comparison)
- He cannot use his right hand at all
- He has no touch and no composure around the rim. I wouldn't say Kwame-like stone hands, but it is not far off
- He cannot create his own (quality) shot
- He has at least two boneheaded turnovers per game
- He does not pass out out of triple teams
- He cannot set a proper pick
- He slips almost every pick, because he knows that he is almost guaranteed to get the ball back (kind of selfish imo)

In short: He is tremendously lacking basketball fundamentals.

The Pros:
- he is in good shape
- he is strong like an ox
- he is very quick and fast for his size
- he is a better defender than last year
- His ability to contain guards out of the switch is extremely good
- He rebounds well although i wouldn't say that he has good rebound technique (boxing out)

But honestly: How can one possible think that he is worth more than the salary of a role player? You cannot give a player like randle 17-20 million Dollars (which he will demand). He is more or less a more athletic Trevor Booker right now. Although i would say that Bookers offensive game in the paint and around the rim is more refined.

The last two games have shown that he could maybe become a mediocre PF in this league (not yet because of his absolute inability to shoot). He can put up numbers as small ball C against opponents benches. But how much money is that worth?

And: Don't come to me with numbers. Points, boards, whatever. Stats are always dependant on your teammates as well. In Randles case the eye test for me is enough.

Last edited by frank70 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject:

frank70 wrote:

I have enough of Randles play. Of course it's subjective - but i just can't stand this type of player. Totally lack of basketball skills - all athleticism.

- No BB-iQ whatsoever. Misses reads regularly. Has problems to adapt to changing situations on the court
- He cannot finish over length consistently (because he has no other shot than the left handed bankshot - watch Kuzma as comparison)
- He has no touch and no composure around the rim. I wouldn't say Kwame-like stone hands, but it is not far off
- He slips almost every pick, because he knows that he is almost guaranteed to get the ball back (kind of selfish imo)

The Pros:
- he is in good shape
- He rebounds well although i wouldn't say that he has good rebound technique (boxing out)

But honestly: How can one possible think that he is worth more than the salary of a role player? You cannot give a player like randle 17-20 million Dollars (which he will demand). He is more or less a more athletic Trevor Booker right now. Although i would say that Bookers offensive game in the paint and around the rim is more refined.

The last two games have shown that he could maybe become a mediocre PF in this league (not yet because his absolute inability to shoot). He can put up numbers as small ball C against opponents benches. But how much money is that worth?

And: Don't come to me with numbers. Points, boards, whatever. Stats are always dependant on your teammates as well. In Randles case the eye test for me is enough.

The problem is that some desperate front office is going to throw something like five years, eighty million at Randle and the Lakers will have no choice but to either match it or let him walk for nothing.

If I were them, I'd be showcasing him right now and trying to get a pick in the mid to late teens back for him this year, especially since we don't have our own first rounder in this draft.

If you're under the cap, once these players are no longer on rookie-scale contracts, they really become no different from any other free agent salary cap wise.

Last edited by CandyCanes on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

Randle is going to get the Noel treatment when Nance is back. Nance is a better player frankly.

Lakers might get a couple second rounders if they're lucky or a late first for him.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
frank70 wrote:

I have enough of Randles play. Of course it's subjective - but i just can't stand this type of player. Totally lack of basketball skills - all athleticism.

The Pros:
- he is in good shape

The last two games have shown that he could maybe become a mediocre PF in this league (not yet because his absolute inability to shoot). He can put up numbers as small ball C against opponents benches. But how much money is that worth?

The problem is that some desperate front office is going to throw something like five years, eighty million at Randle and the Lakers will have no choice but to either match it or let him walk for nothing.

If I were them, I'd be showcasing him right now and trying to get a pick in the mid to late teens back for him this year, especially since we don't have our own first rounder in this draft.

If you're under the cap, once these players are no longer on rookie-scale contracts, they really become no different than any other free agent salary cap wise.

I quit if the Lakers sign Randle to a deal like that. Simply, he's a very limited player.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject:

frank70 wrote:

I have enough of Randles play. Of course it's subjective - but i just can't stand this type of player. Total lack of basketball skills - all athleticism.

The Pros:
- he is in good shape

The last two games have shown that he could maybe become a mediocre PF in this league (not yet because of his absolute inability to shoot). He can put up numbers as small ball C against opponents benches. But how much money is that worth?

Dude, to be fair I didn't read what you wrote because I have severe ADHD. And as right or wrong as you maybe be, Anphernee is in a studio booth somewhere singing a song about you. Beware of the Clapback... 😂
TheeChosenLonzo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

If you're under the cap, once these players are no longer on rookie-scale contracts, they really become no different from any other free agent salary cap wise.

no FO in their right mind is going to give him 80m/5yr contract.

if they did you just let him walk. 2 max or not
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject:

80m/5 year is fair market value. I think some of you are forgetting how much players now make in the new cba
TheeChosenLonzo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
80m/5 year is fair market value. I think some of you are forgetting how much players now make in the new cba

16m to play backup center when Noel/Len just picked up their QO? i doubt that
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject:

Good to see that after a nice string of well played games where Randle contributed to wins that he had a bad game so some of you could venture into this thread. Welcome back and I hope to hear from you again in 7-8 games.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

You pay Randle what he can get from another team up to 12 million per.

If he doesn’t get other offers from other teams, he can either take the 5.5 QO or the Lakers’ lowball longterm offer.

Something tells me they’ll have the opportunity to get Randle next year for much cheaper than many expect.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
frank70 wrote:

The Pros:
- he is in good shape

Dude, to be fair I didn't read what you wrote because I have severe ADHD. And as right or wrong as you maybe be, Anphernee is in a studio booth somewhere singing a song about you. Beware of the Clapback... 😂

I only makes the singity songs about love and posimuhtivity fam I am appalled at these accusations

also im gonna be at school until 9 tonight so I cant eem get these bars ready smh...next time its ether out here tho fam buhlee dat

Last edited by anpherknee on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Good to see that after a nice string of well played games where Randle contributed to wins that he had a bad game so some of you could venture into this thread. Welcome back and I hope to hear from you again in 7-8 games.
Randle was playing well as second string center, but since returning to PF in the last two games, he has struggled. He doesn't look nearly as good at the 4.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

"KEEP THAT SAME ENERGY"

VLF - November 16, 2017
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

aren't we basically showcasing him right now by putting him the best possible position to shine? I don't know what the going rate will be for high energy, undersized backup Centers but we've mostly been playing him at backup C against other team's second units so Julius can pile up the stats.

If I'm other teams, I have to ask, if my starting Center goes down, can Julius hold the starting C position down until that player gets back? Watching Embiid toy with a much smaller Julius last night both blocking his shots and shooting over him at the other end it becomes a valid question, how much $ do you sink into Julius if you still need to pay another taller player to provide backup C minutes in case your main Center goes down? I like what the Laker front office is doing, if we can't move Julius during the season then if somebody makes him a crazy offer after the season is over, shake his hand and let him walk. If not? Let's work out a reasonable deal.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Randles D is much improved this season. Post moves and playing within the flow of the offense not so much. His jumper is actually a lot better, but he still does not take too many of them.

And yeah, what was Luke thinking in the 4'th quarter? JR on an island with Joel possession after possession with no double team or no subbing in Bogut? The game was actually winnable, not sure what Luke was thinking on that one.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Something to also keep in perspective.

The scheme for Randle they run is that his jump shot is the last option.

The play they run for Randle when he gets the ball is for him to survey the floor and pass the ball to anyone cutting to the basket or coming off a screen, open for a three or to pass it back to the perimeter and screen for them to open up another shot.

If none of those options are open, his job is to attack the defense and try to get to the basket. If they paint is cut off then his option is to shoot.

That is the set they run for Randle the majority of the time when he gets the ball unless he's sealed someone in the paint or in post position, and even when when he has the ball in the post he's looking for off ball movement to the perimeter to kick it back out.

So before you go on a tirade of "Why doesn't he just shoot when he's given the space.

Because that's not his job, his job is to survey the floor and then try to score if the option isn't there.

That and Randle's finishing at 75.4% at the basket this year. So that's obviously their ideal scenario, and also pokes a hole in the "he can't finish" argument.

He's had two bad offensive games, but we'll forget that despite them his percentage is still 75.4% as a finisher.

But who needs facts.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

The play they run for Randle when he gets the ball is for him to survey the floor and pass the ball to anyone cutting to the basket or coming off a screen, open for a three or to pass it back to the perimeter and screen for them to open up another shot.

If none of those options are open, his job is to attack the defense and try to get to the basket. If they paint is cut off then his option is to shoot.

That is the set they run for Randle the majority of the time when he gets the ball unless he's sealed someone in the paint or in post position, and even when when he has the ball in the post he's looking for off ball movement to the perimeter to kick it back out.

So before you go on a tirade of "Why doesn't he just shoot when he's given the space.

Because that's not his job, his job is to survey the floor and then try to score if the option isn't there.

That and Randle's finishing at 75.4% at the basket this year. So that's obviously their ideal scenario, and also pokes a hole in the "he can't finish" argument.

He's had two bad offensive games, but we'll forget that despite them his percentage is still 75.4% as a finisher.

But who needs facts.

Interesting considering Luke basically said the complete opposite during the in-game interview on how he wanted his players to stop driving into the defense for contested shots. Since Randle was the guy his shot blocked the most it's not hard deduce who he meant.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
MJST wrote:

But who needs facts.

Interesting considering Luke basically said the complete opposite during the in-game interview on how he wanted his players to stop driving into the defense for contested shots. Since Randle was the guy his shot blocked the most it's not hard deduce who he meant.

Luke has no clue what the problems with the team are.

He'd rather the ball move around the perimeter and never utilize Lopez in the post whatsoever to open up shots on the outside and would rather Lopez shots start on the outside.

Again, watch how Atkinson used Lopez and compare it to Luke, and the Nets were 1st in pace last year in the NBA. Night and day, a coach that knows how to utilize a center like Lopez, and the other coach that has no clue because the Warriors didn't have a center like him.

Sucks to say, but Luke probably has a better idea how to utilize Bogut than he does Lopez.

If Luke actually acknowledged that "Hey.. maybe the ball shouldn't travel around the perimeter for 20 of the 24 seconds and THEN we try to drive to the basket." and instead said "maybe driving to the basket can open things up around the perimeter." there might be a chance for him.

But till Luke actually acknowledges the problem in his "Scheme" we're never going to see improvement in it.

Last edited by MJST on Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheeChosenLonzo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
MJST wrote:

But who needs facts.

He'd rather the ball move around the perimeter and never utilize Lopez in the post whatsoever to open up shots on the outside.

If Luke actually acknowledged that "Hey.. maybe the ball shouldn't travel around the perimeter for 20 of the 24 seconds and THEN we try to drive to the basket." and instead said "maybe driving to the basket can open things up around the perimeter." there might be a chance for him.

But till Luke actually acknowledges the problem in his "Scheme" we're never going to see improvement in it.

and u want us to take u seriously
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject:

TheeChosenLonzo wrote:
MJST wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
MJST wrote:

But who needs facts.

He'd rather the ball move around the perimeter and never utilize Lopez in the post whatsoever to open up shots on the outside.

and u want us to take u seriously

That's up to you.

It's very obvious to tell when a coach understands what the problems in his scheme are, and a coach who doesn't, or does but chooses to be stubborn about it.

You can remain in denial about it if you want. Every time I watch the ball travel around the perimeter for 20 of 24 seconds before they decide to try to drive to the basket it's heart wrenching.

There's a reason both Popovich and Messina lambast NBA offenses where the ball ONLY travels around the perimeter solely for the majority of the shot clock with no advancement or movement happening outside of that.

Luke wants to emulate what the Warriors do, but has no idea how to use Lopez because the Warriors didn't have a center like him.

Like it or not, Luke would probably be more comfortable utilizing Bogut than he does utilizing Lopez.

Again, watch how Atkinson utilized Lopez and look how Luke does. Nets were also 1st in pace last season, so there isn't a "Lopez can't keep up with Luke's pace" excuse either.

But again, this is both basic and obvious stuff. This is the kind stuff you get with a guy who'd never formed an offensive scheme in his life and got big off just sticking with stuff already laid out for him on a team with 3 all-stars and was never ready to be a head coach in the first place so he's currently learning on the job while having a bunch of kids on the roster having to do the same.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
MJST wrote:

But who needs facts.

He'd rather the ball move around the perimeter and never utilize Lopez in the post whatsoever to open up shots on the outside and would rather Lopez shots start on the outside.

Again, watch how Atkinson used Lopez and compare it to Luke, and the Nets were 1st in pace last year in the NBA. Night and day, a coach that knows how to utilize a center like Lopez, and the other coach that has no clue because the Warriors didn't have a center like him.

Sucks to say, but Luke probably has a better idea how to utilize Bogut than he does Lopez.

There are two major problems with your critique:

1) We have very few, if any, players who can actually shoot on the perimeter.

2) Randle rarely drives to pass it out.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

Hence the problem with moving the ball around the perimeter for 20 of 24 seconds before then trying to drive to the basket.

We're one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the league, but we're tossing the ball around the perimeter like we're waiting on Steph or Klay to catch it.

Textbook example of the "It worked in Golden State.. why doesn't it work here!?!?!" mentality of the coach.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Hence the problem with moving the ball around the perimeter for 20 of 24 seconds before then trying to drive to the basket.

We're one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the league, but we're tossing the ball around the perimeter like we're waiting on Steph or Klay to catch it.

Textbook example of the "It worked in Golden State.. why doesn't it work here!?!?!" mentality of the coach.

Let me get this straight, you actually think we're moving the ball around too much?
TheeChosenLonzo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject:

luke is not starting Randle. so whatever luke does, he has no credibility

ok
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
MJST wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Let me get this straight, you actually think we're moving the ball around too much?

Read what I actually said.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1200, 1201, 1202 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1201 of 1536
Jump to: