The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1209, 1210, 1211 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
His offense and rebounding has been solid all year (21 and 12 per 36) but the defense is where he's made his leap this year. One on one I think he's our best perimeter defender, and he's made big strides as a shot blocker and help defender. He was a game changer again tonight.

You can give this win to Randle. He turned the game around. Without him, this is a loss regardless of what scoring we got from Kuzma or KCP.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Hope there’s some way we bring him back.
GODBE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Another great game on both ends!
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject:

24ways2die wrote:

Of course there is. We can just match any offer he gets as a RFA.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
24ways2die wrote:

Only if the "two max FAs" can be convinced to sign for less than the max (or we strike out on them lol). If you do the Emplay stretch idea for Deng and can trade Clarkson for no salary back, they "only" have to convince PG and Cousins to come back at 5 mil under max per year. Could be doable since Cousins and Randle are boys and PG might value the extra help. Lebron is another story. He'd be giving up 10 mil per year. Don't think so.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
24ways2die wrote:

Only if the "two max FAs" can be convinced to sign for less than the max (or we strike out on them lol). If you do the Emplay stretch idea for Deng and can trade Clarkson for no salary back, they "only" have to convince PG and Cousins to come back at 5 mil under max per year. Could be doable since Cousins and Randle are boys and PG might value the extra help. Lebron is another story. He'd be giving up 10 mil per year. Don't think so.

Think your numbers are wrong. If they stretch Deng with the emplay idea and trade Clarkson with no salary back, they can fit Cousins and PG alongside Randle's cap hold.
kobeslaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Randle save us tonight, that's huge win for him.
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject:

It is early, there are a lot of games left. But goodness if I don't want him back bar nothing. If I was in management, after the way he played tonight he'd be on the "must" sign list. I was vacillating already but man he pushed me in one direction tonight.
Vadorojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
24ways2die wrote:

Think your numbers are wrong. If they stretch Deng with the emplay idea and trade Clarkson with no salary back, they can fit Cousins and PG alongside Randle's cap hold.

I'm not sure if it works if Randle gets a max offer. If he keeps playing like this, I wouldn't be surprised if a team like the Mavs or Nets throw a 4 year max offer at him, since he's still a young player with upside.

Given how well he's been playing, I really hope we bring him back, but I hope he's game for the "renounce and resign" strategy to allow us to sneak in some max-contract talent alongside him.

Last edited by Vadorojo on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Don’t know how you don’t keep Randle right now. 22; size/skill, starting to progress to next level...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
It is early, there are a lot of games left. But goodness if I don't want him back bar nothing. If I was in management, after the way he played tonight he'd be on the "must" sign list. I was vacillating already but man he pushed me in one direction tonight.

Sign Cousins, PG, and Randle

Boogie/Julius
Kuzzz/Nance
B.I.
PG13
Lonzo

that's the ideal core right now
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Vadorojo wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
24ways2die wrote:

I'm not sure if it works if Randle gets a max offer. If he keeps playing like this, I wouldn't be surprised if a team like the Mavs or Nets throw a 4 year max offer at him, since he's still a young player with upside.

Given how well he's been playing, I really hope we bring him back, but I hope he's game for the "renounce and resign" strategy to allow us to sneak in some max-contract talent alongside him.

Moratorium period would help us out. Top guys make their decisions before it ends, we "match" Randle after they sign. He never actually signs the offer sheet knowing that we would give him the same contract.
statyin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

And if he's playing at that high a level at 22 that another team would offer him that much money just to try to take him from us why is that a bad thing?

Than that should be the end of the pipedream scenario, if an organization truly knows and underestands what they're doing from a team building standpoint.

"Being relevant"... you mean basically becoming the Knicks? Say "look at these names on the roster" while never winning anything whatsoever but at least we make the playoffs and because of the age of the players we have a 2-3 year playoff appearance and then are back to tanking while the young talent we got rid of starts coming into their own at 25 on other teams?

You want to know the best way to "become relevant" and "stay relevant" with consistency? You build like the Warriors did and like the Spurs did, where you grow your young talent and groom them to start being impact players after drafting wisely, and then as they start coming into their own, those who are difference makers you keep around and continue to grow them and you surround them with veterans and solid role players so that when the youngsters come into their own you can become a playoff team and have some kind of consistency with it.

That to me is what 'relevant' is, because you want 'consistency' along with 'relevance'.

You essentially admit even with the two max plan we don't make it out of the west.

So is "relevant" a 2 year run before going back into the tank while the kids we got rid of become all-stars elsewhere?

Or is relevant staying with the youngsters, and grooming them over the next 2-3 seasons, and they come into their own right as the Warriors are falling off and then making our move as one of the best if not the best young team in the league by that point as our kids are starting to enter the beginning of their prime and surrounding them with the proper veterans?

THAT to me is relevant. Not a 2 year run where we're going nowhere and then a dip back into the tank once those 2 years are up.

You are still missing the point. Even though what you said makes sense, that's not where the team is heading right now.

First off, the plan to sign two stars in the coming free agency is a sealed deal. We have gone far enough to give up DLo as a salary dump just to off load Mozgov, so we would have more cap to sign stars. The organisation is not turning back and will go all in on this, successful or not. As a fan, that's what we have to accept. Otherwise, Dlo will be still here according to your "grow your young talent" plan.

Secondly, to your point about other teams willing to put good offer to JR, this is not a good thing because we either need to match their offer or let him go without anything in return. If we match his offer, we will almost certainly not have enough cap space for the other two stars that we "wish" we can land. Therefore, if the organisation has decided to try to sign two stars with all cost, I would rather they trade JR in the middle of the season so at least we get something in return, albeit not equal value.

On the relevant thing, it all depends on how you look at it. I think that having stars in the team will accelerate the growth of our young players like Kuz, BI, Lonzo, instead of asking them to figure it out themselves which may take god knows how many season more.
If we have at least two stars coming together with our young talents, we will be in the same conversation of houston and spurs. And when you get to that level, you are much easier to get other stars to join us when then next big FA market comes.

Last edited by statyin on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Are GMs calling for Julius now? Does a team get bird rights if they trade for him?
Doc JC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject:

I seriously doubt any team will throw him a max offer. To begin with, he doesn’t shoot 3’s. I mean he’s been playing Great for us, but in a specific role. He is not an all around type player you can build around. He’s a strong front court role player though.

More than ever, I think teams are being more prudent with their cap dollars. Committing that much to a guy like Randle, who you can’t really call a go to scorer, would likely be a tough pill to swallow.

Last edited by Doc JC on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Are GMs calling for Julius now? Does a team get bird rights if they trade for him?

Yes.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Dan Favale‏Verified account
@danfavale 1h1 hour ago
Opponents are shooting <29% and committing turnovers more than 17% of the time when going one-on-one against Julius Randle—who has defended more iso possessions than anyone in the NBA except for Ryan Anderson

https://twitter.com/danfavale/status/933204356614250496
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
Quote:
@danfavale 1h1 hour ago
Opponents are shooting <29% and committing turnovers more than 17% of the time when going one-on-one against Julius Randle—who has defended more iso possessions than anyone in the NBA except for Ryan Anderson

He's fire!!!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Have to show love for that block

Portis got the reverse poster

did you see Portis right after that play....you could tell the voices in his head were talking to him
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
Quote:
@danfavale 1h1 hour ago

DPOY baby. Ok maybe not but All-NBA D team 1st or 2nd would be nice.
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

2019 wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:

Boogie/Julius
Kuzzz/Nance
B.I.
PG13
Lonzo

That's a great core. Could it fit under the cap? Still need a shooter off the bench I think.
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

anpherknee wrote:
Quote:
@danfavale 1h1 hour ago

PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
2019 wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:

Boogie/Julius
Kuzzz/Nance
B.I.
PG13
Lonzo

That's a great core. Could it fit under the cap? Still need a shooter off the bench I think.

If JC is traded with nothing coming back and Deng is also traded in the same manner or stretched via the emplay idea, yes.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
Quote:
@danfavale 1h1 hour ago

Interesting.
Do you think he can be at least 3rd team?
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
Quote:
@danfavale 1h1 hour ago

Interesting.
Do you think he can be at least 3rd team?

No 3rd team for the Defensive teams.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1209, 1210, 1211 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1210 of 1536
Jump to: