The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1211, 1212, 1213 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
Quote:
Dan Favale‏Verified account
@danfavale 1h1 hour ago
Opponents are shooting <29% and committing turnovers more than 17% of the time when going one-on-one against Julius Randle—who has defended more iso possessions than anyone in the NBA except for Ryan Anderson

https://twitter.com/danfavale/status/933204356614250496

Lol, this is great.

JR picking on everyone.

And everyone picking on Ryan.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject:

This is a similar role to what a lot of us thought he'd thrive in. Not more than 25-28mins (although less now), so he can just go 110% out there and use all of his athletic gifts the whole time.
Looks good. If you played him strictly vs PFs, he probably could keep this energy up for 25mins --- you'd need a Center that can shoot next to him - Boogie. I still don't know if I'd pay Randle, think Kuzma projects to be way better. If Randle's 3ball/jumper was legit I'd pay him in a heartbeat - it'd also help conserve some energy , by not having to drive and leap in the paint every time. Sure was stroking those 3s this summer.....like all NBA players do... sry, pet peeve..
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject:

Pay me. Or him. Or both of us.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject:

I think if you're going the Golden State route and playstyle and you're seeing Randle as an upgraded version of Draymond going forward, than the center you're aiming for in Free Agency is probably Nerlens Noel. Who can likely also be had way beneath the market value of his talent.

He's probably your best and youngest option for the "Bogut" kind of role, and an upgraded version of it at that in terms of upside.

J.C. Smith wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
But how well do you see Cousins and Randle playing together?

Considering that Randle has improved his cutting and that Cousins can stretch his range to the three, I think they would work fine. They are also both Kentucky kids.

I'd imagine Randle fits alongside Cousins similar to how he fits alongside Lopez. Lopez and Randle have averaged +2.6 points in just 2.8 minutes per night in their 8 appearances together this season. That's the highest +/- of any other 2 man lineup with Randle with Ennis (+1.8), Blue (+1.8) and Lonzo (+1.7) being the next best lineups. We haven't seen enough of it, unfortunately.

Agreed. And I'd trust Cousins a lot more to get a bucket or stretch the floor more so than Lopez at this point. Cousins is a better rebounder, and scorer and could probably score in spite of whatever offense Luke is going for.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
I think if you're going the Golden State route and playstyle and you're seeing Randle as an upgraded version of Draymond going forward, than the center you're aiming for in Free Agency is probably Nerlens Noel. Who can likely also be had way beneath the market value of his talent.

He's probably your best and youngest option for the "Bogut" kind of role, and an upgraded version of it at that in terms of upside.

J.C. Smith wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

Considering that Randle has improved his cutting and that Cousins can stretch his range to the three, I think they would work fine. They are also both Kentucky kids.

I'd imagine Randle fits alongside Cousins similar to how he fits alongside Lopez. Lopez and Randle have averaged +2.6 points in just 2.8 minutes per night in their 8 appearances together this season. That's the highest +/- of any other 2 man lineup with Randle with Ennis (+1.8), Blue (+1.8) and Lonzo (+1.7) being the next best lineups. We haven't seen enough of it, unfortunately.

Agreed. And I'd trust Cousins a lot more to get a bucket or stretch the floor more so than Lopez at this point. Cousins is a better rebounder, and scorer and could probably score in spite of whatever offense Luke is going for.

Even Golden State knows that you can fill that “Bogut role” with a guy or guys off the scrap heap for the minimum.

No need to pay Noel to fill that role.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject:

I'd go with Noel if we had shooters like Steph and Klay and KD. But since we don't, I don't think that's the play. But I also don't see Julius as an upgraded Green so there's that.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
MJST wrote:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

Even Golden State knows that you can fill that “Bogut role” with a guy or guys off the scrap heap for the minimum.

No need to pay Noel to fill that role.

Noel's value is being tanked by Dallas right now. If things keep up as they have, he will probably be obtainable very beneath the value of his actual talent.

And you feel the Bogut role with a defensive center that can rebound and play defense, where offense is just icing on the cake.

Noel is 6'11 and has solid defensive upside and is currently having his value tanked by Dallas. So I'd say he's a pretty darn good candidate for it.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject:

Julius Randle post game Interview

really like the mentality
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject:

Think my phone was distracting me for a lot of the 2nd half.. Just watched Cachooka's highlights.. Saw Julius playing well but watching again, itbis something to marvel at. Love how he's playing this year. He's a championship role player
JJin77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Think my phone was distracting me for a lot of the 2nd half.. Just watched Cachooka's highlights.. Saw Julius playing well but watching again, itbis something to marvel at. Love how he's playing this year. He's a championship role player

He actually was more impressive than what highlights showed.
Truly amazing stuff on both ends. We are almost at a point where opposing pgs are scared to drive against Randle when he is locked on and rather
pass it out even if it kills shot clock/flow of the offense.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject:

He was arguably one of the worst players on the court in the first half. He was the best player on the court for most of the 2nd half and relinquished the baton to BI and KCP when we needed scores.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject:

JJin77 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

He actually was more impressive than what highlights showed.
Truly amazing stuff on both ends. We are almost at a point where opposing pgs are scared to drive against Randle when he is locked on and rather
pass it out even if it kills shot clock/flow of the offense.

Not the first time Randle dug us out of a hole and completely changed the dynamics of the game. His presence alone changes game and makes us a really good defensive team. Reminds you of someone on Golden State?
I definitely want to keep Randle. Not sure what his future role is but he's a game changer and it still feels like there is so much untapped potential there. Heck he is even shooting 3's now. Even that will get better.

I think we need to find a way to keep Randle..
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
This is a similar role to what a lot of us thought he'd thrive in. Not more than 25-28mins (although less now), so he can just go 110% out there and use all of his athletic gifts the whole time.
Looks good. If you played him strictly vs PFs, he probably could keep this energy up for 25mins --- you'd need a Center that can shoot next to him - Boogie. I still don't know if I'd pay Randle, think Kuzma projects to be way better. If Randle's 3ball/jumper was legit I'd pay him in a heartbeat - it'd also help conserve some energy , by not having to drive and leap in the paint every time. Sure was stroking those 3s this summer.....like all NBA players do... sry, pet peeve..

I see kuzma becoming a really good offensive player (he already is!), but I don't think he'll ever become what randle can become defensively

Ideally we keep both....
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

Like I said, Cousins “could” conceivably complement Randle, if that would in fact be the goal, but I don’t think Randle compliments Cousins at all.

Is the better fit next to Cousins a cutter or a shooter? Is the better fit next to Cousins a selfless guy who submits to Cousins’ dominance or a more selfish guy who is looking to get his.

Cousins would more than likely take away from the Randle we’re seeing right now, and Randle would take away from the Cousins we’re seeing in New Orleans.

For Randle, the presence of Cousins automatically takes away his offensive aggressiveness. No longer would he be the best option down low or the high post. No longer would he be the best big on the floor and on the team most nights, important for his psyche, and a key component of his success this year. If Cousins were on this team this year, even in a contract year, my contention is that you wouldn’t be seeing the same Randle. He’d feel bottled. It’d only take a couple of missed kick out jump shots from Cousins’ drives to make Randle question himself and his role. Randle is still primarily an offensive player who likes to drive with the ball in his hands (just like Cousins), and Cousins’ presence would hurt his natural game.

For Cousins, Randle is very clearly, to me, not his natural foil. Cousins needs a guy who would be comfortable catching and shooting and a guy, more importantly, who understands the pecking order offensively. Randle is a supremely confident offensive player, but almost strictly as a driver with the ball, wheeling and dealing from the high post. This isn’t what Cousins needs to compliment his game. Randle next to Cousins would forget who the 26 point per game/All-NBA scorer is. He won’t submit to Cousins’ dominance. He’ll want to assert his. He won’t be content shooting five kick out jump shots in a game off Cousins’ drives with only one or two isolation drives. That ain’t Randle’s game, and when he can’t play his natural game, his overall play will suffer as a result.

A guy like Nance would fit much more seamlessly. Nance would become whatever Cousins and the team needed him to be. He’s a natural accentuator of top talent whereas Randle is still out to prove that no one can stop him off the dribble.

It’d be a mistake to max out Cousins then pay Randle 15 million a year when he’d never be as good as he is right now with Cousins around — a waste of money.
Aike
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

As much as I love Nerlens, I don't see him as the best fit beside Randle because of spacing issues.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject:

prior to this season I was indifferent about Julius potentially being let go or traded after this season.

Now? I'm absolutely loving his role off the bench. I still think thats the optimal position for him.

Love the improved defense. It's improved. BIG TIME. It only took him a few years.. but he won me over lol. I could still go without him and those wild post shots with 10 headfakes.. but I could live with that if he does all the other things the same as he's been doing lol

It sucks that Clarkson and Randle are important pieces to this team.. but are the two that are likely to be gone.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject:

If Cousins is the type of player where he gets angry at the refs or the other team, but the players love him... then we definitely should get him... if he fights with all the other players then no. Ingram, Ball, Nance, Kuzma all seem to be the perfect fit with any alpha leader who can energize them with his fire.

I certainly see Randle's improvement, but he just doesn't have the skills or size of Cousins. If I have to choose between the two, I'd take Boogie unless I knew the rest of teammates hated playing with him.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject:

If we get Cousins no point in keeping Randle true... However I am curious how would Kuzma and Randle work as our future PF-C combo and could it work. Clearly against some teams they wouldbe giving away a lot of size and therefore it would be important to have a big like Noel off the bench. A few years ago it seemed the league was going very small but now with emergence of Embiid, Simmons and Giannias who are not perimeter player...the trend might be going in the different direction. Post play, real bigs...could all be making a comeback.

Randle is too good to be a bench player IMO. Yet could he handle being a center full time? Maybe. Maybe Embiid is the only player that woulf be a problem but lets be real..Embiid will be a problem for everyone.

I would love if Kuzma and Randle could be our PF-C of the future...
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
prior to this season I was indifferent about Julius potentially being let go or traded after this season.

Now? I'm absolutely loving his role off the bench. I still think thats the optimal position for him.

Love the improved defense. It's improved. BIG TIME. It only took him a few years.. but he won me over lol. I could still go without him and those wild post shots with 10 headfakes.. but I could live with that if he does all the other things the same as he's been doing lol

It sucks that Clarkson and Randle are important pieces to this team.. but are the two that are likely to be gone.

They don't have to be. That decision can still be altered by the FO choosing to continue down the rebuilding path instead of the quick fix approach.

Randle continues to improve and become the player many envisioned. Yet still on the top of the trade list by many makes no sense to me.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
2019 wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
It is early, there are a lot of games left. But goodness if I don't want him back bar nothing. If I was in management, after the way he played tonight he'd be on the "must" sign list. I was vacillating already but man he pushed me in one direction tonight.

Sign Cousins, PG, and Randle

Boogie/Julius
Kuzzz/Nance
B.I.
PG13
Lonzo

that's the ideal core right now

Too crowded. Where exactly does Randle get his minutes? Please post the minute distribution for this proposed lineup.

Randle should only be resigned if he’s platooning with a role playing center, not with one of the best centers in the league.

It’d be a tremendous waste of money, even with as good as Randle is, to pay him big money only to relegate him Cousins backup. That is something else entirely from being Lopez’s backup. He’ll have the opportunity to take ample minutes from Lopez, not with Cousins though.

Cousins (32) | Randle (16)
Kuzma (24) | Nance (16) | Randle (8)
Ingram (32) | Kuzma (8) | George (8)
George (24) | <shooter> (24)
Lonzo (32) | <back up> 16)

Seems pretty simple, Harry.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject:

LakersNewEra wrote:
If we get Cousins no point in keeping Randle true... However I am curious how would Kuzma and Randle work as our future PF-C combo and could it work. Clearly against some teams they wouldbe giving away a lot of size and therefore it would be important to have a big like Noel off the bench. A few years ago it seemed the league was going very small but now with emergence of Embiid, Simmons and Giannias who are not perimeter player...the trend might be going in the different direction. Post play, real bigs...could all be making a comeback.

Randle is too good to be a bench player IMO. Yet could he handle being a center full time? Maybe. Maybe Embiid is the only player that woulf be a problem but lets be real..Embiid will be a problem for everyone.

I would love if Kuzma and Randle could be our PF-C of the futu re...

Whether Randle comes off the bench or starts, most nights he’ll be finishing games and getting starter minutes, so it doesn’t matter all that much. Ginobli came off the bench, Terry did as the second best player for a championship team, McHale did, and many other indispensable players did as well.

To answer your question though: Of course!

Of course Randle and Kuzma could start, finish, or, as you say, be a “full-time” tandem.

I’d only add that Noel as a third Big is a bad fit with Randle and/or Nance.

Randle needs to always play in tandem with a big opposite him who can shoot. Noel just doesn’t qualify as such.

Randle and Nance need to be a platoon, because of spacing issues, never really getting minutes together. Kuzma needs to platoon with another guy who can shoot. Right now Lopez qualifies, but any big shooter would do next year if Lopez walks.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Yeah, that's been coming to me a lot. Luke is keeping him at just the right distance from the starting lineup and major minutes to keep Jules at the temperament of a junkyard dog and that's where Randle thrives. Too bad he can't hit 3's. Then he'd be a real problem.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
2019 wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
It is early, there are a lot of games left. But goodness if I don't want him back bar nothing. If I was in management, after the way he played tonight he'd be on the "must" sign list. I was vacillating already but man he pushed me in one direction tonight.

Sign Cousins, PG, and Randle

Boogie/Julius
Kuzzz/Nance
B.I.
PG13
Lonzo

that's the ideal core right now

Too crowded. Where exactly does Randle get his minutes? Please post the minute distribution for this proposed lineup.

Randle should only be resigned if he’s platooning with a role playing center, not with one of the best centers in the league.

It’d be a tremendous waste of money, even with as good as Randle is, to pay him big money only to relegate him Cousins backup. That is something else entirely from being Lopez’s backup. He’ll have the opportunity to take ample minutes from Lopez, not with Cousins though.

Cousins (32) | Randle (16)
Kuzma (24) | Nance (16) | Randle (8)
Ingram (32) | Kuzma (8) | George (8)
George (24) | <shooter> (24)
Lonzo (32) | <back up> 16)

Seems pretty simple, Harry.

Indeed. Thank you. Still seems crowded to me. Randle seems to be pigeonholed. Does he even have a chance to finish games? And him and Nance make for lousy spacing in the second unit. Also, I don’t want Kuzma guarding the shrinking SFs of the league. He can switch out on some SFs, but I don’t want him intentionally lining up with wings.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:

Randle has improved every year he's been in the league. It's been a luxury having him come off the bench and do what he does, on offense and defense. The switching in defense, the rebounding, the dribbling up the court, the passing from the lost and the top of the key, the scoring ability.

I think the FO, who was ready to cut ties with Randle, might have to think twice about it now. He's clearly still improving, and he has that dog in him.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:

They don't have to be. That decision can still be altered by the FO choosing to continue down the rebuilding path instead of the quick fix approach.

Randle continues to improve and become the player many envisioned. Yet still on the top of the trade list by many makes no sense to me.

Yeah.. if they continue to play like this.. it could go one of two ways:

1) They trade and get back a decent return because their value is quite high

2) they do as you say and alter the plan. Maybe instead of 2.. go for one. Do as Boston did. They got Horford one year, then Gordon Hayward and found a way to trade for Kyrie. Although in that scenario Randle and Clarkson could be trade pieces lol.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1211, 1212, 1213 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1212 of 1536
Jump to: