The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1236, 1237, 1238 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject:

RoyalPurple8 wrote:
You guys ae getting way too in depth over this Nance/Randle thing. Its a team, the best player is not always gojng to start. The Lakers have alot of sporadic talent. Luke is doing a good job, they are trying to win games. By the end of the year Randle will probably average 24, 25 minutes per game? Nance 22 or 23 minutes.

Agree and anyway it should be the Randle vs. Lopez and the Kuz vs. Nance thing anyway since I think what this season has showed us so far is that Randle is a good small ball center, Nance is bad at center, Lopez is slow and Kuz is a great floor spacing PF.

If it were up to me I would start Randle at C unless we were playing a big team like the Pels or the Sixers.

I would also start Kuz over Nance at this point at PF. Overall I think Luke has done a great job but my main pet peeve with him at this point is his love of the bench. Why do we have to have such a good bench if it means our starting unit is not great. Agree that the bench should have at least one starting caliber player but it does not need 3.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
He won't because he doesn't get enough minutes and touches, but Julius should absolutely be in the Most Improved Player discussion.

The lack of minutes drop his rebs, assts, and points from last year.
No way he gets a mention unless the voters care about advanced stats.

Or if he got more minutes...
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
dao wrote:
to me that just reinforces the notion of him being a 5.

I'd say that has certainly been the case this season. While he has outscored, outrebounded, and outassisted his counterpart when he's played power forward this year (with a 50% win percentage which is lower than Kuzma's 54% but higher than Nance's 46%) he's also shot a lot more jumpers at power forward which has caused him to be less efficient there. The amusing part about that is that after all the hard work he did on his jump shot this summer, it has actually regressed in game situations.

This Season compared to last:
<5': 68.8% (+10.3%)
5-9': 40.9% (+4.9%)
10-14': 30% (-16.3%)
15-19': 27.3% (-14.2%)
20-24': 10% (-18.3%)
25-29': 26.3% (+3.4%)
FT: 66.3% (-6%)

Dangers of changing form. Last season he was actually pretty effective with his mid-range jumper and late in the season he was marginally effective with this three point shot. This season he's taken a step backwards on his shooting, but is seeing a huge efficiency boost from his improved finishing ability.

He's been significantly more effective at center this season. With a 62% win percentage and better stats all around. Until/Unless he corrects his jumper I think that's the way it's going to be.
win percentage, I'm assuming that's an 82 games .com stat? Never heard of it.

In regard to his shooting, I doubt it has regressed. He took a very low volume of jumpers last year, and they were generally wide open. He seems to be taking more mid range jumpers this year, and defenders have actually started closing out on them. His shooting form doesn't look too good imo, so I was never expecting him to be a good shooter this year.

As far as him being a center rather than a 4, ya, I think that's the case. Which is why it's so important to give him the starting job. He's outplaying Lopez so the move is justified in terms of winning games. But it also gives you valuable information. If he can perform well as a starting center, he either

1) increases his trade value.

or, if he REALLY balls out,

2) makes signing Cousins unnecessary.

Cousins will be on the decline before Ingram/Kuzma/Lonzo are in their primes. If Randle can be a legit starting 5, he might be a better option for us than Cousins longterm. He'll also be a bit cheaper.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
dao wrote:
to me that just reinforces the notion of him being a 5.

I'd say that has certainly been the case this season. While he has outscored, outrebounded, and outassisted his counterpart when he's played power forward this year (with a 50% win percentage which is lower than Kuzma's 54% but higher than Nance's 46%) he's also shot a lot more jumpers at power forward which has caused him to be less efficient there. The amusing part about that is that after all the hard work he did on his jump shot this summer, it has actually regressed in game situations.

This Season compared to last:
<5': 68.8% (+10.3%)
5-9': 40.9% (+4.9%)
10-14': 30% (-16.3%)
15-19': 27.3% (-14.2%)
20-24': 10% (-18.3%)
25-29': 26.3% (+3.4%)
FT: 66.3% (-6%)

Dangers of changing form. Last season he was actually pretty effective with his mid-range jumper and late in the season he was marginally effective with this three point shot. This season he's taken a step backwards on his shooting, but is seeing a huge efficiency boost from his improved finishing ability.

He's been significantly more effective at center this season. With a 62% win percentage and better stats all around. Until/Unless he corrects his jumper I think that's the way it's going to be.

Thanks for the numbers.
If that's the case and we want the most out of Julius as a center, one would think he should play most of his minutes alongside kuzma as the other big, since being next to Larry doesn't seem as effective.

So if we want Julius to start at the 5, kuzma should start as well.
I'm for this experiment.
I wonder if JCs numbers suffer if he plays with Larry and Brook.
yup, If you move Randle to the starting unit, you have to move Kuzma with him. Kuzma should be starting at PF anyway, no matter who you put at center. He's the best shooter on the team. Starting him with Lopez though would leave a Nance/Randle pairing on the second unit, which doesn't work. So ya, starting Kuzma and Randle is the most logical move. Luke won't do it though, as we all know.

I don't think Clarkson would suffer playing with Nance and Lopez.

Clarkson
Hart
Brewer
Nance
Lopez

that's a solid second unit. Lopez should feast against second stringers.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject:

You can also start Randle with Lopez which actually takes advantage of Lopez being on the perimeter or not in the paint which allows Randle to drive and create off those drives. Things Nance can't do.

Which is why the he lineup of Lopez and Randle works ad well as it does.

Randle can start next to Lopez or start next to Kuzma and both are some of our most effective lineups. Randle however cannot play next to Nance and Nance is a liability playing next to Kuzma.

That feeds into the theory that Nance is carried by the starting lineup and even then it's not an effective one.

Because if we think about it..he can't play next to Randle because he isn't an effective 5 and he can't play next to Kuzma because he's a liability on defense if he has to go to the perimeter to defend.

Whereas both Randle and Kuzma ca play next to both Lopez and each othe and be effective.

Nance seems the one we need to constantly try to "fit" places whereas Kuzma and Randle seem to be able to fit with each other as well as Lopez
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
You can also start Randle with Lopez which actually takes advantage of Lopez being on the perimeter or not in the paint which allows Randle to drive and create off those drives. Things Nance can't do.

Randle can start next to Lopez or start next to Kuzma and both are some of our most effective lineups. Randle however cannot play next to Nance and Nance is a liability playing next to Kuzma.

That feeds into the theory that Nance is carried by the starting lineup and even then it's not an effective one.

Because if we think about it..he can't play next to Randle because he isn't an effective 5 and he can't play next to Kuzma because he's a liability on defense if he has to go to the perimeter to defend.

Whereas both Randle and Kuzma ca play next to both Lopez and each othe and be effective.

Nance seems the one we need to constantly try to "fit" places whereas Kuzma and Randle seem to be able to fit with each other as well as Lopez
are you talking about that lineup with the 12 minute sample size?
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

I’m not the biggest Nance fan, but man you dog him in pretty much every post. What did he ever do to you.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

You mean your crazy theory?
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:

I have a hard time believeing Nance can’t play Center. I’ve seen him do it before with success. I don’t think it’s been tried enough, just not awkwardly at the end of games like Walton’s been doing.

Nance is not too small to guard centers and his strength is emerging. He’s no less stronger or bigger than Jordan Bell (for example).
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
I have a hard time believeing Nance can’t play Center. I’ve seen him do it before with success. I don’t think it’s been tried enough, just not awkwardly at the end of games like Walton’s been doing.

Nance is not too small to guard centers and his strength is emerging. He’s no less stronger or bigger than Jordan Bell (for example).
when Nance and Kuzma have shared the floor, Lakers have been outscored by 40.2 points per 100 possessions. Sample size is only 31 minutes though.

lineup data link

browsing through lineup data and overall plus minus numbers link, it seems that Randle has been the best player on the team this year. He's the only player in the rotation with a positive +/- ! The bench players generally have better */- than our starters obviously, but Randle stands out even among the bench players.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Sometimes I can honestly feel the anger in MJST's posts regarding Jules. It's crazy, I swear I could see this kid getting into a fist fight over this issue. At this beat I wish something new would happen with Julius just so that we COULD have something different to argue about. This beating of the dead cat is getting old.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Say Jules gets a big payday, what are the chances that his productivity regresses a bit? Is he just balling out for a contract?
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Say Jules gets a big payday, what are the chances that his productivity regresses a bit? Is he just balling out for a contract?

This is technically only his 3rd year. This is normal progression to me, not someone who's playing for a contract.

But in La La, we got no time for normal progression. Gotta get the max guys!
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
Sometimes I can honestly feel the anger in MJST's posts regarding Jules. It's crazy, I swear I could see this kid getting into a fist fight over this issue. At this beat I wish something new would happen with Julius just so that we COULD have something different to argue about. This beating of the dead cat is getting old.

Luke does work like he's some sort of mad scientist. I thought Luke would star the era of D'Lo/JC backcourt. Right off the bat, I thought it was strange to say JC is a sixth man. We're the only team in the league that compromises the starting 5 for the sake of his alter, the bench. Julius would be the starting PF if probably anybody else was coach. JC is still in a weird situation because of Maginka trying to make KCP and Rich Paul happy. And since JC has already came off the bench the previous year, he is now officially type-cast.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
win percentage, I'm assuming that's an 82 games .com stat? Never heard of it.

It's similar to net rating except positional. It groups each game into a win or a loss based on the teams net rating when that player was playing that position. Like all advanced stats it has some flaws, it counts any positive as a win and any negative as a loss, not measuring if its a -1 or a -50, etc. But still useful.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:

When on earth was it ever successful this season?!?

Back up Cs tend to match LNJ w motor and size, and negate his strengths altogether. I get REAL tired of it.

Kenneth Faried and Derrick Favors were the most obvious disasters this season.

Also, not only is Jordan Bell a better athlete to compensate for size issues, but he actually plays some PF/SF next to Draymond so that he doesn't have to play 5. That's what David West is for.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Nance has played center in 9 games this season, and the Lakers were a net negative in 8 of his 9 stints there. In fairness all were short stints. But he was a -12.2 PER during his minutes there and opposing centers shot a whopping 68.8% eFG during that time. And while he's been a good rebounder on the season, he has been outrebounded significantly in his minutes at center. I thought when he came into the league he might be a decent small ball center due to his defensive anticipation and leaping ability (figured he'd be a good shot blocker). But he has by far been the worst center the Lakers have put out there this season. I think he's a pure power forward.

Randle has been the opposite. While they haven't fared as poorly when he's played power forward, he's been numerically much better at center. Using the same stats as above, Randle has played center in all 25 games, and the Lakers were a net positive in 16 of those 25 games in his minutes at center. He has had a +4.5 PER, opposing centers have shot 52.7% eFG during his stints (nearly 5% lower than any other Laker center), and he has slightly outrebounded opposing centers, but significantly outscored them. I would say that so far this season Nance has outperformed Randle at PF (Randle's shot poorly at PF) but Randle has overwhelmingly outperformed Nance at center.

Last edited by J.C. Smith on Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Nance has played center in 9 games this season, and the Lakers were a net negative in 8 of his 9 stints there. In fairness all were short stints. But he was a -12.2 PER during his minutes there and opposing centers shot a whopping 68.8% eFG during that time. And while he's been a good rebounder on the season, he has been outrebounded significantly in his minutes at center. I thought when he came into the league he might be a decent small ball center due to his defensive anticipation and leaping ability (figured he'd be a good shot blocker). But he has by far been the worst center the Lakers have put out there this season. I think he's a pure power forward.

Sad to say, it really limits his ceiling, especially because he can't shoot. One thing to have a guy who can't shoot at C, but a whole other issue to have that guy at PF... means you can only pair him with a 3pt shooting C which still isn't a given to find.

I like his hustle, but I'm really down on Nance. I think he's a nice 10-15 minute role player to have (even on a title team), but he's not a guy who should be starting. Ironically, Luke has applied Randle's role (short burst energy guy) to Randle when it should be applied to Nance.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:

Randle has been the opposite. While they haven't fared as poorly when he's played power forward, he's been numerically much better at center. Using the same stats as above, Randle has played center in all 25 games, and the Lakers were a net positive in 16 of those 25 games in his minutes at center. He has had a +4.5 PER, opposing centers have shot 52.7% eFG during his stints (nearly 5% lower than any other Laker center), and he has slightly outrebounded opposing centers, but significantly outscored them. I would say that so far this season Nance has outperformed Randle at PF (Randle's shot poorly at PF) but Randle has overwhelmingly outperformed Nance at center.

Sounds reasonable.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

Sounds reasonable.

Actually, I'd ask to see how many of those minutes have Randle playing center next to Bogut, Zubac and/or even Nance, as opposed to Lopez. Nance has the benefit of playing PF primarily next to Lopez. All things are not equal if Randle has played a larger % of minutes next to a non-shooting big (which I think is the case). If its equal, JC's point is a fair one.

J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Here's how those three have fared +/- wise when at power forward:

Kuzma/Randle +2 in 378 minutes
Kuzma/Lopez -12 in 287 mins
Kuzma/Bogut -19 in 43 minutes
Kuzma/Nance -30 in 31 minutes
Kuzma/Zubac -2 in 9 minutes

Nance/Lopez -19 in 250 minutes
Nance/Bogut +1 in 23 minutes
Nance/Randle -9 in 23 minutes

Randle/Bogut -13 in 69 minutes
Randle/Lopez +18 in 24 minutes
Randle/Zubac -3 in 4 minutes

Randle's numbers at power forward are almost certainly negatively affected by poor center pairings, only 24 minutes with Lopez all season despite a ridiculously good +/- in that time, while 73 minutes with Bogut and Zubac, who do not compliment his game well.

It's also interesting that the only three lineups with those guys at power forward that have been positive were Kuzma/Randle, Nance/Bogut, and Randle/Lopez, with Randle/Lopez being by far the best lineup. Yet it's barely been used. And why are we ever seeing Kuzma/Nance it's been terrible yet it's been used more than Randle/Lopez. That's on Luke.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:

Randle's numbers at power forward are almost certainly negatively affected by poor center pairings, only 24 minutes with Lopez all season despite a ridiculously good +/- in that time, while 73 minutes with Bogut and Zubac, who do not compliment his game well.

It's also interesting that the only three lineups with those guys at power forward that have been positive were Kuzma/Randle, Nance/Bogut, and Randle/Lopez, with Randle/Lopez being by far the best lineup. Yet it's barely been used. And why are we ever seeing Kuzma/Nance it's been terrible yet it's been used more than Randle/Lopez. That's on Luke.

I'll put them in order

epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:

Like u said Julius is the best center and Luke is trying to keep him at that spot. Less likely to play with Brook. The times Larry plays with kuzma I believe is when Brook is in foul trouble or is playing poorly but is too soon to bring in Julius.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:

That's freaking insane. What those numbers show me is that clearly Randle should be receiving all of Nance's minutes, whether Randle is at the 4 next to Lopez or at the 5 next to Kuzma. Further, I have to wonder what things would look like if we gave Thomas Bryant some playing time next to Randle at the 4 as well.

Btw, JC, as is often the case, thanks for doing the work on those numbers. Its always appreciated.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

That's freaking insane. What those numbers show me is that clearly Randle should be receiving all of Nance's minutes, whether Randle is at the 4 next to Lopez or at the 5 next to Kuzma. Further, I have to wonder what things would look like if we gave Thomas Bryant some playing time next to Randle at the 4 as well.

Btw, JC, as is often the case, thanks for doing the work on those numbers. Its always appreciated.

Thats a constant most all the numbers and stats have been showing.

Our two beat front court lineups are Randle and Lopez and Kuzma and Randle, with the other starters in tow.

Luke however actively avoids these lineups.

You'd assume if Luke ever admitted to himself that Randle can play the 2 and Kuzma can play the 3 we'd see much better lineups coming to fruition. Would be nice to see a 2 3 4 lineup of Ingram, Kuzma and Randle finishing games. Especially against the bigger center teams which allows Lopez to play the 5 and he statistically is our best post defender as well.

I am glad that Randle was able to stop Embiid down the stretch of the last 76ers game despite Luke making the same mistake twice. They do what they do in spite of Luke's coaching rather than because of it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1236, 1237, 1238 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1237 of 1536
Jump to: