The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1336, 1337, 1338 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:
In the last 9 games Randle has played 30 or more minutes (33 average in those 9 games): 23.1PPG/10.7RPG/4.1APG/ on 84 for 137 FG's about 61%...

I wonder what his individual defensive rating is during this stretch.

Jan: ORting 102.9 DRting 108.3 Net: -5.4
Feb: ORting 107.8 DRting 113.1 Net: -5.3

Not very good. Started the year strong. Last 3 months he's been an overall negative.
yep. Backup center is where he belongs imo.

And listen to Julius and LG whine? Our ears!
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Crazy amount of hate and scapegoating on a night when Randle had 23 points (8-15), 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, and a block, while KAT was held to 2-9 shooting.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Crazy amount of hate and scapegoating on a night when Randle had 23 points (8-15), 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, and a block, while KAT was held to 2-9 shooting.

And Taj went for 28 (11-16), 7 rebs, 1 Stl, 2 blks
But I don't remember if Julius guarded him.
Towns had 19 rebounds? Geez.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

Wasn't he mostly guarding Towns?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
epak wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

Then tell him to box out.

I'm sorry guys. I think I may just have a bias towards him.
He's doing well on offense. And that's nice. But I rather he do other things well.
I mean what team these days is counting on their 4 to be the go to scorer?
I'd rather he do the dirty work.
Anyway, I'll stay away from this thread for a while since I'm a downer.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
55 wrote:
epak wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

Then tell him to box out.

I'm sorry guys. I think I may just have a bias towards him.
He's doing well on offense. And that's nice. But I rather he do other things well.
I mean what team these days is counting on their 4 to be the go to scorer?
I'd rather he do the dirty work.
Anyway, I'll stay away from this thread for a while since I'm a downer.

No [expletive]!

But don't worry about it We're all bias to one player or another
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Randle did a good job on Towns tonight. Lopez on the other hand was missing in action. Zubac showed up today though and he and Jules had a good chemistry as well.

A good sign once Lopez is gone this off-season if we move Zu to the starting lineup.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:

He and Zu were essentially our best players tonight tbh.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject:

From what I can see, Gibson mostly abused Lopez or Zu, not Randle.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Vadorojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Randle plays with a level of physicality that is a bit of a dilemma for the officials (and for us):

If they call the game tight, then it doesn't play to Randle's bully-ball offensive game and he can end up getting lots of fouls.

If they let them play down low, then Randle can thrive offensively, but when the opponents get a little frustrated and start to hit him back (particularly in the fourth), it feels like the officials are disinclined to give him any love with the whistles. Of course, I'm biased as a Laker fan, but I felt like the Wolves benefitted from some calls that Randle couldn't even buy on fairly equivalent plays.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject:

Vadorojo wrote:
Randle plays with a level of physicality that is a bit of a dilemma for the officials (and for us):

If they call the game tight, then it doesn't play to Randle's bully-ball offensive game and he can end up getting lots of fouls.

If they let them play down low, then Randle can thrive offensively, but when the opponents get a little frustrated and start to hit him back (particularly in the fourth), it feels like the officials are disinclined to give him any love with the whistles. Of course, I'm biased as a Laker fan, but I felt like the Wolves benefitted from some calls that Randle couldn't even buy on fairly equivalent plays.

See it's not frustrating if the officials call it that way on both ends.

Where if Randle isn't allowed to be as physical the other team shouldn't either.

But if Randle gets ticky tack fouls but the refs allow guys to beat him up down low, then that's when I have a problem. Randle takes a lot of punishment down low and when he's doubled but the refs usually swallow their whistles.

If those same refs are gonna whistle Julius when he backs down someone and turns and they flop, then the refs should be calling when other team's swipe at him like no tomorrow.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:

He has been our best player and he guards all 5 positions and as a starter averaging over 17 points a game and some think he is a backup center.

This is just his 3rd season of actually playing and he was coming back from that terrible leg break in his first season of playing. He is becoming a beast before our eyes.
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject:

I don't like Randle's bullyball style of play, in the playoffs you're placing too much of your faith in the officials to make the correct call which is never a recipe for success in winning championships.

Just so much ugliness , as much as we need his energy and physicality Julius turns the paint into a rugby scrum every single time. I wouldn't go over 10m a year and that's exactly what I said during our winning streak when people were willing to max him out.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject:

Love or hate him, Randle has been our imperfect best player in 2018
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject:

Randle was not at fault for the teams loss. KCP, Randle, Zu, played fairly well.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:

It is actually a bit on the side of mind boggling....
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

He and Zu were essentially our best players tonight tbh.

So true...
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
based on what? His BPM/RPM are neutral. His net rating for the year is -3.4. You guys fall in love with his box score stats but the reality is that he has a lot of negatives in his game that don't show up in the simple box score stats. He is extremely mistake prone. His defensive intensity waxes and wanes far too much. He clogs the paint, and also stops the ball when he gets it. His advanced stats show that he's an average player that puts up big stats, which means he's an average player that needs to be featured. That's a bad thing. He's the type of player that is meant to be one of the centerpieces on a bad team imho.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

Randle is virtually a must resign for LA. He also plays next to a complete stiff. Lopez grabs two rebounds in 26 minutes and is just a brutal interior defensive presence.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject:

dao wrote:
governator wrote:
based on what? His BPM/RPM are neutral. His net rating for the year is -3.4. You guys fall in love with his box score stats but the reality is that he has a lot of negatives in his game that don't show up in the simple box score stats. He is extremely mistake prone. His defensive intensity waxes and wanes far too much. He clogs the paint, and also stops the ball when he gets it. His advanced stats show that he's an average player that puts up big stats, which means he's an average player that needs to be featured. That's a bad thing. He's the type of player that is meant to be one of the centerpieces on a bad team imho.

If the Lakers nab Lebron and George, which I don't think they will, then I won't lose sleep over losing Randle because he wouldn't be a good fit with that team. But he better be back if they don't land those guys with all that cap room.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
dao wrote:
governator wrote:

If the Lakers nab Lebron and George, which I don't think they will, then I won't lose sleep over losing Randle because he wouldn't be a good fit with that team. But he better be back if they don't land those guys with all that cap room.

If not Randle then who do you think has been our best player since new year?
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

Randle is best suited as your Draymond Green guy. If he's your #1 or #2 guy, you probably have a bad team. If he's your #3 or #4 guy, you probably have a title contending team. Find 2 or 3 guys to rely on offensively ahead of Randle, and let Randle be your all-star level garbage man, your quarterback on defense, etc. Take the pressure off of him to score 20PPG a game, give him teammates who take defensive attention away from him (in the way Nance and Clarkson are enjoying now in Cleveland), let him spend his energy obtaining a line like 13/11/5 and then watch him thrive on both sides of the court. He's misplaced as a #1 guy... but as a #3 or #4 guy? Woowee.

Ball and Ingram could be those #1/#2 guys ahead of him, making no mention of Kuzma or if we get max players like George, Lebron, Klay or Leonard to assume those roles. That's where Randle becomes supremely valuable. Envision him in that role as a complimentary piece who can spend his energy pick his spots on O, rebounding and playing elite D, not the role he pretty much has now as our #1 offensive option. And, yes, he's basically our #1 option right now. Randle is consistently receiving double teams because we're running most of our offense in the half court through him (and, yet, he's succeeding in that role). He's often triple teamed. His finishing ability at the rim, despite almost always shooting in traffic, is actually quite astounding. His man defense is crazy good (although he's slacked from a team D standpoint over the last 3-4 games which, I would argue, is mostly due to the offensive burden he now has with Ball out).

Here's his numbers as a starter (24 Games): 28.0 MPG, 17.6 PPG (56.6%), 8.8 RPG, 3.0 APG. Per 36 minutes, he's averaging 21/11/4 as a starter.

Can't really criticize the guy, especially if you look back at where we started this season with most fans' expectations for him. Given all of the above, I think, ironically, it is actually even more imperative that we keep Randle if we can get two max guys. People have to get that Randle could play like Nance (and does in a lot of ways), but we've expected a lot more from him than that (especially offensively) which takes away his ability to be that type of player. Give him two max/top two offensive guys to play off of and see what happens.

Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

Vadorojo wrote:

I've noticed the same and in most games he takes full advantage. They call charges on him on the break without even thinking about it but once he establishes himself in the post, all bets are off. When they let Julius just run through them, the refs rule it a flop. If he clears out or throws an elbow, its fair game. When he tries to lower his shoulder and the defender provides enough resistance to not be propelled backward, its a blocking foul. They really just have to hope he misses because playing tough defense is either going to result in a defensive foul or a bloody mouth.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject:

He's such a (bleep) animal, I love him.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Another thing to consider in evaluating Randle - he graduated high school the same year as Kuzma and Hart. Kuzma red-shirted his first year, but was in school for four years. Just something to think about in comparing the three.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1336, 1337, 1338 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1337 of 1536
Jump to: