The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1381, 1382, 1383 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pokoy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
pokoy wrote:
It pains me to think we’d be in the playoff hunt right now had Luke seen this potential much earlier. I don’t buy this “he needed to learn how to be active all the time before getting to play” garbage. He was in top shape to start the season, nothing about this told me that he wouldn’t have played just as hard had he started to begin the season.

While I agree with the general idea here and always thought our obvious starting lineup from the very beginning was the current iteration (w/ BI), Nance has been pretty damn good himself this year. His impact on games, whether you go by eyeball test or advanced stats, was effectively elite for a role player. It's not like we had a scrub taking Jules' minutes, so I'm not going to get too hung up on whether we would've had a significantly better record or not if he had started from Day 1.

The bigger crime was probably starting Kuz over him when Nance got hurt.

Yeah, that was the time I thought they were really screwing with him. He had really good production in the minutes he did play, but there’d be games when he wouldn’t even get off the bench until the 2nd quarter and log no more than 15 minutes. I didn’t get it.

Glad it’s working out for JR now and I really hope we resign him. But man, a lot of those losses and playing time drama early on were unnecessary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Randle is the 1st option on this team. Green is the 4th option on golden state. Give randle Durant steph curry and klay Thompson to pass to, and almost no offensive responsibilities, and let's see not only what type of scorer he could be, but also what kind of defender he could be, It's pretty easy to be a good defender when you have to exert almost no energy on offense. It's also pretty easy to score 10 points per game and dish out 7 assists per game when your only role is on offense is to clean up the garbage and pass to some of the best shooters in the league who are running off of curls or spotting up in transition. We may very well get to see what Randle looks like in the green role next year if we shine both Le Bron and George while retaining Randle.

I will say this too - Green in this team, and maybe even on golden State given the chance, could not have pulled off last night what Randle did against lebron.

I'm also thinking that nobody here would trade Randle to Golden State for Draymond Green and go "we've definitely got the better player".

Randle is far far far ahead of Draymond at the same age. The fact there's even competition as to who's the better defender says a lot about where Randle is 5 years younger than Draymond.
Lakers4Life33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject:

A fun exercise is to click on a random page(in the hundreds) of this thread and read our sentiment then on Randle. Now he's on the brink of stardom. He is the first fruit beared by our first season as a perennial lotto team. Amazing.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Lakers4Life33 wrote:
A fun exercise is to click on a random page(in the hundreds) of this thread and read our sentiment then on Randle. Now he's on the brink of stardom. He is the first fruit beared by our first season as a perennial lotto team. Amazing.
I went to page 132 randomly and found yinomes talking about round butts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Lakers4Life33 wrote:

Interesting.

To be fair, I was very happy to draft Jules (had Smart/Jules as my choice at #7). The injury was so traumatic to me as it really sullied that season. I was apathetic to year 2 of his career, and year 3 was a mixed bag for me. But I saw what he did this summer and in the preseason he really changed my view on him. When they brought in Brook, I could see how spacing the floor would really give him space to operate and it has. Now he's as important to the Lakers future to me as getting a max FA, well maybe a peg below. He's a must-keep for me.

If you look early on, I've loved the dawg in him, and his alpha mentality. We had a bunch of guys who were a bit more reserved or quiet in demeanor on the court. Having Jules bring that intensity was great. He's just managed to bring it more consistently now.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Highly doubt we traded Dlo/jc/nance to basically re sign KCP to a long term deal.

I know right. People are worried about primes, when they should be worried about acquiring hall of fame talent. It doesn't matter if KCP is 25. We are trying to acquire talent that can help us win a championship.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Highly doubt we traded Dlo/jc/nance to basically re sign KCP to a long term deal.

I know right. People are worried about primes, when they should be worried about acquiring hall of fame talent. It doesn't matter if KCP is 25. We are trying to acquire talent that can help us win a championship.

He's a decent "starter ceiling" level player. But he doesn't have a high ceiling and he's already 25. OK for a 1 year punt deal but nothing more.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
Wes Matthews out for the year with stress fracture. Highly likely to opt-in and take up 18M of cap space.

Yep - this will definitely hurt their cap. Like Melo in OKC, no way he doesn't opt in.

Funny because when DJordan dissed them, Cuban gave Wes an even bigger contract than originally agreed upon IIRC. Now they are in this situation.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
NBALakerLegends wrote:
Wes Matthews out for the year with stress fracture. Highly likely to opt-in and take up 18M of cap space.

Yep - this will definitely hurt their cap. Like Melo in OKC, no way he doesn't opt in.

Funny because when DJordan dissed them, Cuban gave Wes an even bigger contract than originally agreed upon IIRC. Now they are in this situation.

If Cuban wants to screw someone, why not make a RFA offer (b/c folks worry he will "max" Jules) to Capella and really screw the Rox plans? At least with the Lakers, we can still find a way to trade Deng, and PG13/Jules share an agent so there's coordination there.

You could absolutely blow up the Rox LBJ pursuit by trying to get Capella on a 18m deal.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
Lakers4Life33 wrote:

Interesting.

To be fair, I was very happy to draft Jules (had Smart/Jules as my choice at #7). The injury was so traumatic to me as it really sullied that season. I was apathetic to year 2 of his career, and year 3 was a mixed bag for me. But I saw what he did this summer and in the preseason he really changed my view on him. When they brought in Brook, I could see how spacing the floor would really give him space to operate and it has. Now he's as important to the Lakers future to me as getting a max FA, well maybe a peg below. He's a must-keep for me.

If you look early on, I've loved the dawg in him, and his alpha mentality. We had a bunch of guys who were a bit more reserved or quiet in demeanor on the court. Having Jules bring that intensity was great. He's just managed to bring it more consistently now.

Just messing with you yinomes Not getting on your comparisons or analysis. Remember when KIROE was obsessed with shoulders? I think it was Justise Winslow's lol
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
Lakers4Life33 wrote:

Interesting.

Just messing with you yinomes Not getting on your comparisons or analysis. Remember when KIROE was obsessed with shoulders? I think it was Justise Winslow's lol

I like many here were all over the place with Jules is my point. There were some who believed in him from the start and maintained that belief even things looked dour, and kudos to them.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject:

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Randle is the 1st option on this team. Green is the 4th option on golden state. Give randle Durant steph curry and klay Thompson to pass to, and almost no offensive responsibilities, and let's see not only what type of scorer he could be, but also what kind of defender he could be, It's pretty easy to be a good defender when you have to exert almost no energy on offense. It's also pretty easy to score 10 points per game and dish out 7 assists per game when your only role is on offense is to clean up the garbage and pass to some of the best shooters in the league who are running off of curls or spotting up in transition. We may very well get to see what Randle looks like in the green role next year if we shine both Le Bron and George while retaining Randle.

I will say this too - Green in this team, and maybe even on golden State given the chance, could not have pulled off last night what Randle did against lebron.

I'm also thinking that nobody here would trade Randle to Golden State for Draymond Green and go "we've definitely got the better player".

Randle is far far far ahead of Draymond at the same age. The fact there's even competition as to who's the better defender says a lot about where Randle is 5 years younger than Draymond.

This is actually a good question poll. With the age and upcoming contract/contract considered... would you trade Randle for Draymond?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject:

What is underrated about Jules (even from the national perspective) is his passing ability. When he wants to, he could be a 5-6apg level guy and I think he can be.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:
NBALakerLegends wrote:

If Cuban wants to screw someone, why not make a RFA offer (b/c folks worry he will "max" Jules) to Capella and really screw the Rox plans? At least with the Lakers, we can still find a way to trade Deng, and PG13/Jules share an agent so there's coordination there.

You could absolutely blow up the Rox LBJ pursuit by trying to get Capella on a 18m deal.

Randle is a significantly better player than Capela imo. Part of the reason it's valuable to have the 2Max space plus Jules 12.4 going into free agency is that it will discourage irresponsible offers.

I actually think Dallas might use their cap space on others altogether. They're pretty far away right now.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
What is underrated about Jules (even from the national perspective) is his passing ability. When he wants to, he could be a 5-6apg level guy and I think he can be.

It seems like he’s making an effort to be more consistent in that area. It’s starting to really click for him. The attack, euro step and kick out to KCP for 3 against the Cavs was beautiful.

He’s also now more consistently finding the open man out of the post.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:
NBALakerLegends wrote:

Randle is a significantly better player than Capela imo. Part of the reason it's valuable to have the 2Max space plus Jules 12.4 going into free agency is that it will discourage irresponsible offers.

I actually think Dallas might use their cap space on others altogether. They're pretty far away right now.

Right, I'm saying if Dallas knows that:

1. they value Jules and will match;
2. they can trade Deng to realize the 2 max plan regardless
3. having the benefit of Mintz representing PG13/Jules means we will have intel on the 2 max plan.

So it's a monumental waste of time for Dallas IMO and I think they factor that in. With the Rox, you can royally screw them over by either destroying their LBJ dreams or taking Capella away. They have a bunch of "PFs" already in Barnes/Powell who make over 30m together anyways.
IBWriter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

For the longest time, I wondered if you were secretly Randle's wife.

All jokes aside, you've been right about him. I wouldn't trade him for Draymond, and I would re-sign him even at the expense of LeBron, and this is coming from someone who wasn't big on Randle at the beginning of the season. His ability to finish and his flashes on the defensive end have sold me.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject:

Honestly, for the immediate time being (next 2 years), I'd say that jules is more of a recruiting chip for PG/LBJ than Lonzo/BI. He's more ready to play right now in a playoffs series (but BI/Lonzo will get there b/c they're so young and physically underdeveloped).
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

IBWriter wrote:
MJST wrote:

For the longest time, I wondered if you were secretly Randle's wife.

All jokes aside, you've been right about him. I wouldn't trade him for Draymond, and I would re-sign him even at the expense of LeBron, and this is coming from someone who wasn't big on Randle at the beginning of the season. His ability to finish and his flashes on the defensive end have sold me.

All this time I thought MJST was a Lin fan who got tired of changing teams and decided to become Randle's "Minion". But the sign up month make more sense for Randle than Lin. MJST was probably a Randle fan coming into LG. Am I right my dude?
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject:

Remember the complaints of "Low BBIQ" or the "Bull in a China Shop" or the "Knuckleball Shooting Form"? They are basically non-existent now.

Magic & Rob are not idiots, contrary to popular LG belief. Yes, trading Clarkson & Nance gave us a shot at two max players. But it also kicked the door wide open for us to resign Randle. In my mind, to choose Randle we would have to trade both guys for different reasons. Many players can do what Clarkson does, but the 12m/yr is where Randle's salary would start at next season. We couldn't keep both. Nance is the perfect hustle guy for a championship team, but we were too deep at the 4. Someone had to go.

Is it possible that holding Randle back earlier was not only a motivational move for Luke, but maybe a way for us to keep him off trade talks while showcasing Nance and Clarkson? They see Randle everyday. They know how hard he works and what he's capable of.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It seems like he’s making an effort to be more consistent in that area. It’s starting to really click for him. The attack, euro step and kick out to KCP for 3 against the Cavs was beautiful.

He’s also now more consistently finding the open man out of the post.

A few weeks back Julius had a few games with a lot of turnovers, and many of were from him trying to make passes out of the post. Luke said in an interview back then that they had started working with Julius on reading defenses so he could better anticipate double teams and make good passes. He struggled initially but he's clearly getting better at it with each game.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

This is slander. One of the craziest/disrespectful things I’ve ever read on this site.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Maybe not delusional Laker fans but the rest of the world would definitely say that.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Maybe not delusional Laker fans but the rest of the world would definitely say that.

the rest of the world also told bynum he shouldn't shoot threes too

AND DEY WAS WRONG
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1381, 1382, 1383 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1382 of 1536
Jump to: