The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1415, 1416, 1417 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
Would it be worth it to include Randle in a sign and trade for Kawai? Does that make us better, or is Randle going to be that good?

I dunno, maybe I just don’t get it. If you look at it year over year from 16-17 to 17-18

Julius per 36
Rebounding numbers down
FT shooting down
Assists Down
Turnovers up
PFs up
Blocks and steals about the same, less than 1 per game each
Defense about the same statistically

What he did improve on was his FG% around the basket, dramatically. Other then that he looked like a different player, but put up the same if not worse numbers down the line. I’m not sure that he really made a quantum leap forward other than he can finish around the rim better, which is good...it’s great actually.

His BPM and Per have him ranked somewhere between the 75th and 100th best player in the league, which is nice. He’s an average starter on an average team, a 1 or 2 option on a lottery team and a 4th or 5th option on a playoff team.

I don’t think holding onto him should get in the way of signing a max player, if we lose him..it’ll be a loss for sure because he’s a decent player, but I don’t think he’s a real game changer. He’s probably worth $10-12M, but he’s worth up to 14 if you can lock him up long term just on the potential that he could possibly learn how to hit a jump shot or improve his defense.

How many guys are average starters on average teams at 23 years old?

Also left out of his equation was that Randle was brought off the bench the majority of the year as opposed to starting the majority of the season the previous year and played less minutes than the season prior as a result of that.

Pretty sure if Randle started the entire year he averages the 20/10/3 he averaged after he finally got the starting spot back and the minutes to go with it.

But that was left out of that analysis.

But sure, we'll act like the 23 year old that put up 20/10/4 when he got the starter minutes and can guard all 5 positions and switch on point guards is only worth 10-12M a year -_-

I did per 36, so the actual amount of minutes he played doesn’t matter, actually coming off the bench should have helped his numbers since he’d be playing against more 2nd stringers vs starters. I also think he started more games than he came off the bench for, but I don’t have the info in front of me.

I’m not acting like anything, I’m just reflecting on his numbers. I know you are a Randle fan and think he’s a max player...i don’t think that. If he is worth 20m a year or whatever you think he’s worth, he will see if the league agrees with you. If you think he’s an all star in the making, we will have to agree to disagree. I will say that I was wrong about him to start the year, I thought he was a scrub..he’s not, he’s decent..you are right. I don’t think you are right about how amazing he is, but he is young and may be a top 50 player in the NBA at some point.

Again, just my opinions....you can state yours and we can leave it at that, you really aren’t going to get me off of my general opinion of him and I’m sure I can’t get you off your opinion either .
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject:

First, the guy that thinks Randle is getting 20 million is out of his mind. The number of teams with capspace are small, plus Washington had no capspace to replace Porter, since Mahimi 16 million per season.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
First, the guy that thinks Randle is getting 20 million is out of his mind. The number of teams with capspace are small, plus Washington had no capspace to replace Porter, since Mahimi 16 million per season.

Do you think Randle deserves a bigger contract than Mahimi?
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:

Do you think Randle deserves a bigger contract than Mahimi?

Yes he does but given the cap and current teams financial constraints is there a team that can pay him?

It only takes one but I feel teams will be taking a more prudent approach to tying up their $.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject:

I don’t think it’s that ridiculous a team or two offering Randle 20+ million per.
Teams will love nothing more than to put pressure on the Lakers and not revive them into contenders. And because of his improvement this season and his current age, some teams will probably look at potential like the Clippers did with DeAndre Jordan on his first extension.

If it comes down to that, I just hope we would at least be able to perform a sign and trade for example if he wanted to sign with say...the Spurs.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Lakers will actually have plenty of time in the moratorium to see if they get their two max's way before they'd have to answer a team trying to get Randle in RFA.

That means they're essentially near guaranteed to sign two max's(if they get the confirmation) BEFORE re-signing Randle even if a team threw an RFA offer at him.

Last edited by MJST on Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:

They pay that much for a guy who plays 14.9 minutes per game?!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:

We pay more for a guy who plays 0.0 minutes per game
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
I don’t think it’s that ridiculous a team or two offering Randle 20+ million per.
Teams will love nothing more than to put pressure on the Lakers and not revive them into contenders. And because of his improvement this season and his current age, some teams will probably look at potential like the Clippers did with DeAndre Jordan on his first extension.

If it comes down to that, I just hope we would at least be able to perform a sign and trade for example if he wanted to sign with say...the Spurs.

Again, the Clippers were capout, and had no other option, but to throw big money at Jordan. Teams don't usually waste capspace on a guy to screw another team. That would be like the Lakers throwing max money at Jarbari Parker to screw the Bucks.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:

Yes, their backup center is the 4th highest paid player on the team.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:

We pay more for a guy who plays 0.0 minutes per game

Yeah we plan on waving him this summer. The summer of 2016, have people thinking guys are going to get paid. 25 teams had capspace then.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:

Yes, their backup center is the 4th highest paid player on the team.

Let's not forget there was a lot of Lakers fans willing to shell out more than that for Biyombo cause of a good playoff series. Orlando fell for that trap though.
Aike
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
Would it be worth it to include Randle in a sign and trade for Kawai? Does that make us better, or is Randle going to be that good?

I dunno, maybe I just don’t get it. If you look at it year over year from 16-17 to 17-18

Julius per 36
Rebounding numbers down
FT shooting down
Assists Down
Turnovers up
PFs up
Blocks and steals about the same, less than 1 per game each
Defense about the same statistically

What he did improve on was his FG% around the basket, dramatically. Other then that he looked like a different player, but put up the same if not worse numbers down the line. I’m not sure that he really made a quantum leap forward other than he can finish around the rim better, which is good...it’s great actually.

His BPM and Per have him ranked somewhere between the 75th and 100th best player in the league, which is nice. He’s an average starter on an average team, a 1 or 2 option on a lottery team and a 4th or 5th option on a playoff team.

I don’t think holding onto him should get in the way of signing a max player, if we lose him..it’ll be a loss for sure because he’s a decent player, but I don’t think he’s a real game changer. He’s probably worth $10-12M, but he’s worth up to 14 if you can lock him up long term just on the potential that he could possibly learn how to hit a jump shot or improve his defense.

His rebounding is identical from last year to the year before. It’s down from his first year, but the schemes have changed. More switching on the perimeter, leading to less time spent close to the basket grabbing defensive rebounds.

His free throw shooting rounds to 72% all three seasons, so I don’t see the problem there. Rise in turnovers has coincided with rise in usage. I think we would all like to see improvement there, but it isn’t really something that’s getting worse.

Fouls are up a little. Maybe has to do with switching onto more guards? Maybe his minutes guarding centers? Not sure.

You can scroll through this thread and see some stats detailing defensive improvement. But I think you could watch him switching onto point guards and realize his value in that regard.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Lakers will actually have plenty of time in the moratorium to see if they get their two max's way before they'd have to answer a team trying to get Randle in RFA.

That means they're essentially near guaranteed to sign two max's(if they get the confirmation) BEFORE re-signing Randle even if a team threw an RFA offer at him.

It would make me really happy if we are waiting to hear back from two stars while Randle has an offer sheet, and they both agree to a slight paycut because they want to play with Randle
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
MJST wrote:

It would make me really happy if we are waiting to hear back from two stars while Randle has an offer sheet, and they both agree to a slight paycut because they want to play with Randle

I have no doubt two max players would demqnd they keep Randle and take a slight paycut jn order to facilitate it. Im also at about 75% that Lebron will team up with either Pg or Leonard in La. My concern is he may demand Leonard and force Maginka to trade away all our young talent before he agrees. I would hate to lose Ball, Ingram and Hart for Leonard, when we could keep them and just sign Pg.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject:

Magic and Rob are not dummies. I am sure they already have a pulse on whether or not JR REALLY wants to be a Laker (I believe he does) and what the market will/should be. If they think he is going to command more than they are willing to spend, they will assuredly utilize him in a S & T.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Four potential Julius Randle landing spots in free agency

https://hoopshype.com/2018/04/23/four-potential-julius-randle-landing-spots-in-free-agency/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5ade495804d3017b7355e1fc&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:

We paid that much for Deng.

Randle is very good, but I would not want to pay him more than $16-$18 million. If we get everyone and we are over the cap, then it does not matter so much. But if we are going to get Paul George and then go after Leonard next season then the size of Randle's contract does matter.

Randle played very well this season and I did join the Randle bandwagon. That said, he is still a limited player. He is not a rim protector or a floor spacer. He still does not use his right hand. Frankly it is amazing how efficiently he scored considering all of the above.

Long story short, just because some teams have overpaid players does not mean that Randle is a max contract guy. He will and should make a lot of money, just not max money at this point in time.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject:

2018 Player Capsule: Julius Randle

Quote:
Season Summary
Perhaps no Laker made more of a leap this year than Julius Randle, who dominated stretches of the season on both ends of the floor.

Randle entered training camp in revamped physical condition, but started the season coming off the bench.

However, the 23-year-old thrived as the Lakers’ small-ball center in the second unit, and that success translated when given the opportunity to start at power forward for the majority of the year.

Randle was the Lakers’ best two-way threat, averaging a team-high 16.1 points (tied Kyle Kuzma and Brandon Ingram) while shooting 55.8 percent from the field — the 10th-highest clip in the NBA.

He was a beast down low in just about every way. Armed with a unique blend of power and quickness, Randle bullied defenders on post ups, out of pick-and-rolls and off the dribble.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/180423-player-capsule-julius-randle
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Retain the Beast!
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

https://hoopshype.com/2018/04/23/four-potential-julius-randle-landing-spots-in-free-agency/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5ade495804d3017b7355e1fc&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

The question at the very end of the article is an interesting one: If (and that's still a big IF) the Lakers sign both LBJ and PG13, to keep Randle, they will have to trade Deng, with the speculation that the cost will include BI.

All things being equal, would you rather have LBJ, PG13 and BI OR LBJ, PG13 and Randle?
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
pio2u wrote:

The question at the very end of the article is an interesting one: If (and that's still a big IF) the Lakers sign both LBJ and PG13, to keep Randle, they will have to trade Deng, with the speculation that the cost will include BI.

All things being equal, would you rather have LBJ, PG13 and BI OR LBJ, PG13 and Randle?

They could move Deng's contract with our first round draft picks. I would not move BI under any circumstances.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Is there any scenario where you could swap PG for some combo of KCP/Deng/picks?
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:

OKC will pay luxury tax for Deng? Though KCP at $10-12 mil for George might make sense for them.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
manlisten wrote:

OKC will pay luxury tax for Deng? Though KCP at $10-12 mil for George might make sense for them.

How would the tax work if they move his expiring deal midseason? I'm just brainstorming, seeing how their other option would be to lose PG for nothing.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1415, 1416, 1417 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1416 of 1536
Jump to: